[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[May 05, 2024, 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Props to Jay Wright  (Read 9054 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Props to Jay Wright
« on: January 24, 2017, 10:25:07 PM »
Props to Jay Wright on his post game tweet. Total class, hard not to like him.

https://twitter.com/vucoachjwright/status/824105167775813632

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Props to Jay Wright
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 10:26:59 PM »
Props to Jay Wright on his post game tweet. Total class, hard not to like him.

https://twitter.com/vucoachjwright/status/824105167775813632

Awesome.  A true gift to the BE.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 10:29:27 PM »
Coach Wright is a true gentleman and great coach.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 10:29:47 PM »
My favorite non-MU coach in the Big East. I'll never forget him asking ESPN to move the interview away from the MU locker room after they beat us in OT (Amigos Sr yr). Also, their fans were very fun to talk to.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 10:33:40 PM »
Pretty darn nice for a guy who was 31-51 in his first three seasons at Hofstra and then 52-46 in his first three seasons at Nova.

Also nice to see Wojo's well ahead of his pace.

Unless, of course, Wojo gets fired because he obviously has doomed our program to mediocrity.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 11:07:04 PM »
Are we certain that's Jay, or just Nova's equivalent of a ZFB?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 11:09:22 PM »
My favorite non-MU coach in the Big East. I'll never forget him asking ESPN to move the interview away from the MU locker room after they beat us in OT (Amigos Sr yr). Also, their fans were very fun to talk to.

Having met Jay, he is a stud.  Look our freshman soccer players

🏀

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 11:32:50 PM »
Nova fans were awesome around us all game. Told them to win the whole damn thing again this year.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 11:39:01 PM »
Wright is great and so is that program. Great flagship for the Big East.

Hopefully we can get close to that level someday.

Pepe Sylvia

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 02:55:39 AM »
Really a supremely stupid thing to get mad about, but I don't hate anyone in conference anymore. I root for every big east team to do good now. All the coaches and players seem to be solid dudes. I miss hating teams. I loved every win against Louisville, ND, Pitt, Syracuse, Uconn, West Virginia,  more than this one against Nova, cuz how can you hate Nova? Hate Creighton? Butler? X? Prov? G-town? Johnnies? Pirates? Demons, as laughable as they are? I need some team to really become a villain right quick.
twitterx: @HBOCEOofTits

kryza

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2017, 03:09:36 AM »
Really a supremely stupid thing to get mad about, but I don't hate anyone in conference anymore. I root for every big east team to do good now. All the coaches and players seem to be solid dudes. I miss hating teams. I loved every win against Louisville, ND, Pitt, Syracuse, Uconn, West Virginia,  more than this one against Nova, cuz how can you hate Nova? Hate Creighton? Butler? X? Prov? G-town? Johnnies? Pirates? Demons, as laughable as they are? I need some team to really become a villain right quick.

I'm starting to kinda hate Seton Hall
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 03:11:27 AM by kryza »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2017, 04:02:36 AM »
Only team I really dislike is Creighton. Had a bad run in with their fans McFloppers senior year.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2017, 05:25:44 AM »

It will come.  Right now, there is still shared purpose, proving the Big East still matters, that we don't need football, etc.  And when MU is competing for championships and other teams storm the court after beating us, the hate will come.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2017, 07:22:49 AM »
Was talking about this with a coworker/Badgers fan today after the win. Rivalries take time and are bred through years of intense competition. We're still coming out of that grace period where there is a brotherhood in the schools that make up the Big East. Part of our rivalries with 'Cuse, UConn, etc., was A.) The fact that we were ALL very good for many of those years and B.) our perpetual little brother syndrome. Did they view us as rivals, or were we really still the new kid on the block that was pesky from time to time? 

If there is any team I dislike, it's Xavier, but it was more for Stainbrook (great guy by all accounts, infuriating player). I wish the teams that came from the Big East were better (us included!), and maybe that would have helped. But going forward, as the level of play rises, it'll get there. I love what the double round-robin does to accelerate that - this is something the B16 doesn't get to enjoy.

I will always miss playing ND, Louisville, Uconn and Cuse (at least til Boeheim kicks off) because they were outstanding. I hope we try to revive some of those in non-con someday when we're a worthy opponent again. But this conference is here to stay and will hopefully make some noise outside of Nova in the near future.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2017, 07:27:10 AM »
Jay Wright gets it. 

He know when we grind together, we shine together.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 01:07:06 PM by The Lens »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2017, 07:30:59 AM »
Coach Wright is a true gentleman and great coach.

When he's not whining to the refs about every flippin' call that doesn't go Nova's way....
Have some patience, FFS.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2017, 07:34:22 AM »
When he's not whining to the refs about every flippin' call that doesn't go Nova's way....

Just doing his job Chick, just doing his job.

You want to see whining, you should have been around here when Al didn't get a call.

I really do like Jay Wright. Great guy, great class. Looking forward to beating Villanova many more times in the years ahead.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2017, 07:40:40 AM »

They have been hateable for a long time.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2017, 07:42:48 AM »
They have been hateable for a long time.

The dirty plays on Dom James are enough of a reason to hate them.

I don't like Creighton. Especially after seeing a Creighton alumni event being hosted in one of the sections of the BC. Their first year in the Big East probably caused a few floors needing to be replaced due to their flopping.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2017, 08:27:50 AM »
Like Chitown anD Creighton, I hate Butler. Had a bad run in with their fans at the Maui game. Disliked them since
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2017, 09:07:22 AM »

I don't hate anyone either. The games are just really fun and friendly rivalries. Maybe that will change over time. I think a lot of it has to do with the coaches. There isn't a Pitino or Huggy, or similar d-bag like we had in the old Big East, which made it really easy to hate their teams. The current coaches are all class acts.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2017, 09:07:54 AM »

I disagree with this analysis. Jay Wright is probably my favorite coach in college basketball. He wins the right way. And he is the George Clooney of sports.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2017, 09:41:09 AM »
I don't see things drastically changing, because we are now our own fraternity to a certain extent.
The current Big East teams have collectively seen this thing through, weathered the storm, and are in great shape. I too find myself cheering for every BE team non con or in the tournament.
The way I see this changing is a cheap shot(s) and fights like the BE in the 80s. At that point, you will see hatred for opposing teams.
It is hard to HATE a team because they are great shooters or they flop.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2017, 09:45:30 AM »
Really like Wright and Nova, unless MU is somehow involved will always cheer for Nova. Creighton is my go to hate team in the Big East right now. Had a number of run ins with their jag-off fans that has soured me to them forever. Seton Hall I dislike, no opinion on X. DePaul would be a hateable team if they weren't so pathetic.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

CreanLover

• Walk-On
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2017, 09:46:54 AM »
I forget if it was when the made the FF or won the title, but Wright went out of his way in the post game to mention by name some of their older alums, who were still very involved in the program. I thought it was a very rare thing for a big time coach to do something like that in a big moment. He's not a phony, he's just a solid guy...reminds me a little of Izzo.

By the way, I think Wojo is cut from the same cloth.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2017, 10:35:43 AM »
I don't think this league will ever have anyone has hateable as Cuse.  From their dbag coach, to players like Devendorf, to the most arrogant and haughty fanbase this side of Madison.  I don't even miss playing them, I disliked them so much.

Louisville was the perfect mixture of hate and respect.

I don't love Creighton, remind me too much of Wisconsin.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2017, 10:43:38 AM »
Like Chitown anD Creighton, I hate Butler. Had a bad run in with their fans at the Maui game. Disliked them since

I had the opposite experience, but you're not the only one who's said this.  My interactions with the Butler fans were mostly borne out of how basketball-only schools need to band together and how Butler should join the Big East, but come to think of it, it appears that I may have completely overlooked their severe entitlement.  I blame the millennials for desensitizing me.

Villanova and Jay Wright are class acts.  Even in a heated rivalry, I don't think there's any way I could ever bring myself to hate either of them.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2017, 12:40:54 PM »
I don't think this league will ever have anyone has hateable as Cuse.  From their dbag coach, to players like Devendorf, to the most arrogant and haughty fanbase this side of Madison.  I don't even miss playing them, I disliked them so much.

There was very little better than our win over Syracuse in the 2nd round of the NCAA Tournament in 2011.  I will never forget when OTule took a shot from one of their players at one end of the court and when they got to the other end of the court he clearly had a few words for the guy (I want to say it was Melo).  Before that game we were sitting in a restaurant eating lunch and the entire place was packed with Ohio State fans (who played before us in the Q, and given that we were in Ohio, they were everywhere).  Of course, they put the one table of MU fans right next to the one table of Syracuse fans in a giant restaurant full of red.  Was going to have our waiter send a beer over to them and tell them sorry in advance for their loss.  Didn't have the cajones.

I had the opposite experience, but you're not the only one who's said this.  My interactions with the Butler fans were mostly borne out of how basketball-only schools need to band together and how Butler should join the Big East, but come to think of it, it appears that I may have completely overlooked their severe entitlement.  I blame the millennials for desensitizing me.

Villanova and Jay Wright are class acts.  Even in a heated rivalry, I don't think there's any way I could ever bring myself to hate either of them.

In Lexington after we beat Davidson to advance and play Butler, we were out at a bar and found Home Team sitting by himself.  The 4 of us that made the trip together went and sat with him and he was yapping it up with some Butler fans, who were running their mouths about how they were going to beat us and go on for another long NCAA Tournament run.  They were telling Home Team that Butler is the new Duke, with Hinkle being Cameron Indoor and Stevens being Coach K.  Home Team told them that Stevens wouldn't be around for more than 3 years, while they were convinced he was never leaving.  Of course, we all know that MU's victory scared him away from wanting to ever coach in the BE.

But then leaving the MU hotel, which had a walkway attached to the mall that was attached to the Rupp, to head over to the MU vs. Butler game, a Butler fan with his family held the door open for me, I said, "Thank you, wish I could wish you good luck but..." and we "pounded it" with a laugh.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 12:42:48 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

🏀

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2017, 12:59:25 PM »
Nova, you're cool.
Butler, you're cool.
Creighton, unnatural carnal knowledge you.
Xaiver, you're cool.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2017, 01:06:12 PM »

I thought about this when I legitimately felt bad for Creighton when Watson went down.  I know a number of people who went there and always respected the school and the fans (as much as I still want to crush them every time).  In the old BE I would always wish the worst on UConn, Notre Dame, Louisville, Syracuse, Georgetown (okay I still kind of hate them).

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2017, 01:22:10 PM »
I thought about this when I legitimately felt bad for Creighton when Watson went down.  I know a number of people who went there and always respected the school and the fans (as much as I still want to crush them every time).  In the old BE I would always wish the worst on UConn, Notre Dame, Louisville, Syracuse, Georgetown (okay I still kind of hate them).

I'm with you on still hating GTown.  Their fan base still acts like GTown is too good for the new Big East, yet they are struggling to compete.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2017, 01:28:47 PM »
Nova, you're cool.
Butler, you're cool.
Xaiver, you're cool.

"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

AverageJoe

• Walk-On
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2017, 01:50:55 PM »

This is exactly my thinking.  It's more fun to beat evil teams/coaches.  I loved beating a-hole coaches (Huggins, Pitino), Notre Dame (because they're Notre Dame), Depaul (when they were good), etc.  Now I really only dislike Seton Hall - I seem to remember some cheap shots on Dominic back in the day, and Willard worked for Pitino.  At least we play Wisconsin every year.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2017, 02:11:36 PM »
I don't think this league all of college basketball will ever have anyone has hateable as Cuse.  From their dbag coach, to players like Devendorf, to the most arrogant and haughty fanbase this side of Madison.  I don't even miss playing them, I disliked them so much.

FIFY
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2017, 03:43:27 PM »
Of all the past, present, and future Big East teams, the only one that I truly hate is Dayton.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2017, 03:50:49 PM »
Nova, you're cool.
Butler, you're cool.
Xaiver, you're cool.

+100

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2017, 04:00:00 PM »
Of all the past, present, and future Big East teams, the only one that I truly hate is Dayton.

So I Googled "Giphy Fu@k this sh|t" and this came up, which doesn't really fit the initial intent but is nevertheless wildly appropriate.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 04:01:50 PM by Benny B »

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2017, 04:08:33 PM »
Villanova, in my experience has always been classy. 

Seton Hall is my only hate-crush.  Bobby Gonzalez, Jamar Nutter, the kidnapping incident. 
Willard seems punch-able.

Everyone else is good, as long as we beat them.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2017, 04:23:53 PM »
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the BE school I "hate". I really haven't cared for Georgetown since JT the Father said he wouldn't try to recruit a "classic" kid. Those feelings are aided and abetted by the fact that my AH brother-in-law went there.

BubbaWilliams

• Team Captain
  • "He's a great player, but an even better person."
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2017, 04:31:58 PM »
I dislike Xavier, GTown, Seton Hall, Creighton (and their fans), Nova, and Butler. It's tough to hate DePaul. I guess St. John's is cool.
"Say hello to your mom for me." - Biff Tannen

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2017, 05:10:18 PM »
Satan Hall is easily hateable. Dumpster fire of a program. Xavier, with all their shady overlooking off the court, is close behind. And Georgetown fans are some of the most unpleasant in the country so their struggles may not create hate but certainly schadenfreude is present.

It's like my good friend told me in November......in America today, it's easy to hate if you try hard enough.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2017, 07:08:04 PM »
Satan Hall is easily hateable. Dumpster fire of a program. Xavier, with all their shady overlooking off the court, is close behind. And Georgetown fans are some of the most unpleasant in the country so their struggles may not create hate but certainly schadenfreude is present.

It's like my good friend told me in November......in America today, it's easy to hate if you try hard enough.

What shady off court overlooking for Xavier? They suspended Myles Davis for I believe 15 games for what was less than what happened at MU under Bazz (not that it is okay, but Bazz covered the story up while Mack more or less kicked Davis off the team).

JustinLewisFanClubPres

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2017, 07:54:10 PM »
I have disliked Xavier since their fight with Cincy and the "zip 'em up" comments after. Thought it was classless and that Mack did nothing of substance to reprimand his players.

It did, however, really give me a high degree of satisfaction when Jimmy Butler locked down Tu Holloway in the tourney that year and he was crying on the bench at the end of the game. Apparently, we played them before the brawl and "zip 'em up" comments. My memory has failed me. Either way, I remember Xavier fans thinking Marquette had no chance to stop Tu going into that match up. Haven't heard from him in a while. I wonder what Mr. Butler is up to now?  ;)

The "zip 'em up" comments must have just added to my dislike.

Also don't like creighton, seton hall, or georgetown. Can't pinpoint why though.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 08:07:02 PM by MU7703 »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2017, 07:54:53 PM »
What shady off court overlooking for Xavier? They suspended Myles Davis for I believe 15 games for what was less than what happened at MU under Bazz (not that it is okay, but Bazz covered the story up while Mack more or less kicked Davis off the team).

I think X has done a good job of holding students accountable but there has been some musings that these behavioral issues were known when X recruited these players and maybe shouldn't have recruited them at all. There have been some high profile cases under Mack, the Crosstown Brawl (with Holloway bragging about his gangstas zipping Cincy up), the Dez Wells sexual assault, and now Myles Davis.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

marquette09

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2017, 10:17:43 PM »
DePaul.  Hate them for sucking so much, for so long.  Time for them to contribute to the success of the conference.   

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2017, 12:19:21 AM »
I have disliked Xavier since their fight with Cincy and the "zip 'em up" comments after. Thought it was classless and that Mack did nothing of substance to reprimand his players.

It did, however, really give me a high degree of satisfaction when Jimmy Butler locked down Tu Holloway in the tourney that year and he was crying on the bench at the end of the game. Apparently, we played them before the brawl and "zip 'em up" comments. My memory has failed me. Either way, I remember Xavier fans thinking Marquette had no chance to stop Tu going into that match up. Haven't heard from him in a while. I wonder what Mr. Butler is up to now?  ;)

The "zip 'em up" comments must have just added to my dislike.

Also don't like creighton, seton hall, or georgetown. Can't pinpoint why though.

That was definitely after the brawl. It was Tu's last game, hence the crying on the bench.

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2017, 12:35:52 AM »
I think Georgetown has the best potential for UConn style 'evil empire' dislike--they are so east coast snobby and the fan base that seems to look down their noses at the rest (as currently undeserved as that is.)

X could be like our old rivalry with Cincinnati for similar reasons as has been alluded to--off the court problems, but frustratingly successful on the court.

Seton Hall could be like Pitt--tough nosed, physical team that always gives us tough games.

But the one that prob has the best potential, if they ever get their acts together, would be DePaul.  Nothing breeds contempt more than familiarity, and the proximity and history with them means that if they ever become competitive again, I think we'd come to really battle with them and their fan base.

That said, right now, there is far more that unites all of these than divides, and still easier to cheer for all and the league as a whole than in the old BE.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2017, 04:51:57 AM »
IMO This will all change once we are good again (meaning like consistent top 25).

It's hard to hate anyone when none of them can derail a good season - unless they play dirty and SHU gets that honor or in past years.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2017, 07:19:05 AM »
Brits are hilarious, I was showing them the repay of the court storming and one of them noticed Wright and went, "Is that George Clooney, it looks like a mix of George Clooney and Leonardo DiCaprio."

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2017, 07:44:21 AM »
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the BE school I "hate". I really haven't cared for Georgetown since JT the Father said he wouldn't try to recruit a "classic" kid. Those feelings are aided and abetted by the fact that my AH brother-in-law went there.

How can you hate a school for a PREVIOUS coach that did plenty around civil rights saying he wouldn't recruit a "classic" kid.  Al = cracked sidewalks?  Every D-1 school refusing to recruit black kids at one point in time? 

All that said...JT, Al, John Chaney, and Dean Smith are on my favorite list. 

feedback