[Today at 10:02:26 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[Today at 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Overtraining  (Read 8490 times)

MU1980

• Starter
Overtraining
« on: February 01, 2014, 05:42:15 PM »
I have been reading MUScoop for years, but rarely post.  However, I have never seen a discussion on here about overtraining.  I come from a physiology background and think this could be an issue.  We all know that Buzz works his guys very hard and boot camp is incredibly tough.  You also hear discussions of how hard they work even in their shoot-around's on the day of a game.  You definitely need to work hard to get better, both physically and mentally, but your body and mind also needs rest, especially during the season.  I have never heard of so many basketball players getting stress fractures, as this team has done over the years, including our promising freshman point guard this year.  Stress fractures are more likely in runners doing 15 miles a day, not basketball players, although I do realize it does happen.  Also, it just seems strange that the team can look so energetic one game and so lifeless the next, which is a sign of overtraining.  It is hard to be consistent when you are overtrained. 

And just to be clear, I am a huge fan of Buzz, but it does seem like these guys are overworked at times.  With a talented team with great leadership, that overtraining can be overcome easier than in a down year like this, but even past teams at times showed signs of overtraining.  I believe Crean worked his guys incredibly hard as well, which does make them tougher, but also creates an increased chance of overuse injuries, as well as fatigue resulting in poor defense at times, inability to make free throws consistently, etc.  Just throwing this out there and wondering what people closer to the program might think about this, especially if they have more of a physiology background. 

BCHoopster

• All American
Re: Overtraining
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 05:43:15 PM »
Kids love to play ball, they all want to be pros, over training I would doubt it.

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 06:01:53 PM »
Kids love to play ball, they all want to be pros, over training I would doubt it.

Overtraining is a very real thing and why I was curious if someone with a physiology background had any thoughts.  No matter how much you love to do something, you can become overtrained, which shows up as overuse injuries and things like being a step slower on defense.  It is more common in the endurance sports such as running, biking, and swimming, but it can happen to anyone who works really hard.  Believe me, I strongly believe in hard work, but pushing yourself extremely hard at 6 am on the morning of a game doesn't seem conducive to energetic play.  It could also make it more difficult to come back in less than 48 hours for a second game, if you are overtrained. 

MUUWUWM

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 06:08:34 PM »
Duane Wilson is a workout machine...he did it to himself...this one not on Buzz.

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 06:38:33 PM »
Duane Wilson is a workout machine...he did it to himself...this one not on Buzz.

Not necessarily disagreeing and it is nice to see that Duane Wilson has a good work ethic, but has he ever had stress fracture before?  Also, we have had several stress fractures the last several years, something I don't hear of with other programs. 

I am not knocking Buzz; I think it is great that he gets the players to buy into working hard and the improvement that many of his players have.  I still think most basketball coaches have very little knowledge of exercise science and it might help to have someone on staff that does have that background.

I remember Crean used to have the players do a VO2max test every year.  There is zero benefit for having them do this, as a high or low VO2 max has very little to do with basketball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 06:52:07 PM »
Have we had multiple stress fractures under Buzz?  I honestly can't recall another one.  Was Otule's foot a stress fracture?

The only thing I will say is that under Buzz, we have a couple games like this every year.  Where the team looks absolutely lethargic.  I have no idea if that is due to overtraining, or simply part of the rhythm of the season. 

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 06:52:20 PM »
I do have some physiology and have wondered in the past about our plethora of foot injuries. At one time I suggested that we check our workout program and/or the surface at the Al. Stress fractures are overuse injuries and usually related to training errors. They used to be called "march fractures" because indolents would be drafted and sustain stress fractures when they had to march a lot in basic training. Usually, an increase in activity beyond the bone's ability to respond (adapt) is the culprit. So in an active kid like Duane, a stress fracture does suggest overdoing it (so-called overtraining).

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 07:47:49 PM »
as long as mu1980 bring's crean into the picture-"i believe crean worked his guys incredibly hard as well, which makes them tougher, but..."  is that kinda like a key player breaking his hand, back in the day, by turning to the wall to take out his frustrations instead of the man himself?  that kind of tough?  now that's what i call a "stress fracture"  ::) 

don't...don't don't don't don't

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 07:48:12 PM »
Have we had multiple stress fractures under Buzz?  I honestly can't recall another one.  Was Otule's foot a stress fracture?

The only thing I will say is that under Buzz, we have a couple games like this every year.  Where the team looks absolutely lethargic.  I have no idea if that is due to overtraining, or simply part of the rhythm of the season. 

DJames' foot was a stress fracture. Fulce's kneecap may have been as well but not positive. Not endorsing the premise, just trying to provide info.

MUeng

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 07:53:17 PM »
I say enough with the excuses, explanations, etc. Lets just embrace the suck! Any loss less than 10 points is a moral victory!

chapman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 09:08:52 PM »
I still think most basketball coaches have very little knowledge of exercise science and it might help to have someone on staff that does have that background.

I think the head coach should have a Bachelor's and Master's degree in kinesiology!  Oh, wait...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 10:02:09 PM »
I am not knocking Buzz; I think it is great that he gets the players to buy into working hard and the improvement that many of his players have.  I still think most basketball coaches have very little knowledge of exercise science and it might help to have someone on staff that does have that background.

Todd Smith?

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2014, 10:38:24 PM »
I think the head coach should have a Bachelor's and Master's degree in kinesiology!  Oh, wait...

Did not realize Buzz had his degrees in Kinesiology, which is excellent, but it is different than exercise physiology or exercise science.  Kinesiology is more about the study of human movement as opposed to the effects of training on the body, both inside and out.   

Todd Smith does have a degree in exercise science and is an excellent strength coach. 

This post was not about a complaint about Buzz and certainly not Todd, but just something that has intrigued me when I have seen several overuse injuries over the years and the team being so inconsistent this year, with a dramatic difference in energy levels from game to game.   

chapman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014, 01:21:09 AM »

Velodrome

• Walk-On
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2014, 07:55:07 AM »
Long time lurker first time poster.  I'm not a physiologist but I am a highly competitive masters cyclist who works with them.  I would think it highly unlikely these guys are classically overtrained, which i would describe as a decrease in meaasured performance associated with either an increase in training load or sustained training load.  For a cyclist this is pretty easy to measure with a powermeter and some computer software.  From my experience it takes a huge amount of training load sustained over many months to reach this point.  A periodized training program 3 weeks increasing load 1 week active recovery is usually all it takes to avoid this.

These are elete athletes, highly motivated, the amount of training load they can withstand is amazingly high.  Add in that they have the best coaches trainers and facilities money can buy to help with recovery and i would highly doubt they would meet my definition of overtrained.

Some of them do look frustrated....

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2014, 08:27:13 AM »
In another thread, a poster brings up the fact that the team went to a Broadway show the night before as a potential reason for the bad game.  At one point in the game, Rafferty pointed out that Deonte was showing signs of being gassed which had me wondering if cardio training had fallen off during the season.

Undertraining, overtraining, distraction?  Who knows?  The one thing that is clear is that this team is a head scratcher.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2014, 09:04:31 AM »
This year is an outlier in so many ways.   As opposed to the previous coach who's teams seemed to peak in December, Buzz's teams seem to find their rhythm and play better late in the year.    The puzzle pieces haven't fit this year.    They haven't overtrained. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2014, 09:12:30 AM »
Long time lurker first time poster.  I'm not a physiologist but I am a highly competitive masters cyclist who works with them.  I would think it highly unlikely these guys are classically overtrained, which i would describe as a decrease in meaasured performance associated with either an increase in training load or sustained training load.  For a cyclist this is pretty easy to measure with a powermeter and some computer software.  From my experience it takes a huge amount of training load sustained over many months to reach this point.  A periodized training program 3 weeks increasing load 1 week active recovery is usually all it takes to avoid this.

These are elete athletes, highly motivated, the amount of training load they can withstand is amazingly high.  Add in that they have the best coaches trainers and facilities money can buy to help with recovery and i would highly doubt they would meet my definition of overtrained.

Some of them do look frustrated....

Thanks for the post and you do bring up some excellent points.  Being overtrained is more of a long term thing, where as you can be overworked on a given day or days.  I do believe during the summer and pre-season there is a definite chance that they are overtrained, which is when the overuse injuries have occurred for the most part, not during the season. 

One question I have is if their intense practices during the shoot around, sometimes at 6 am, is true.  I am not sure what the point of that would be.  On game day, you need every bit of mental and physical energy that you can possibly have, especially with the way they play defense.  It is oftentimes talked about on here how certain players look gassed at the end of the game or why Wilson's defense is worse at the end of the game.  With a more relaxed shoot around later in the day, such as most teams do, I would think this would at least help the late game fatigue. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2014, 09:36:14 AM »
In another thread, a poster brings up the fact that the team went to a Broadway show the night before as a potential reason for the bad game.  At one point in the game, Rafferty pointed out that Deonte was showing signs of being gassed which had me wondering if cardio training had fallen off during the season.

Undertraining, overtraining, distraction?  Who knows?  The one thing that is clear is that this team is a head scratcher.

I have no idea why going to a Broadway show would be a problem.  As opposed to sitting in the hotel?

chapman

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2014, 10:46:04 AM »
The 40 hour turnaround for this game was brutal.  They flew out to New York after the game Thursday night, getting in after midnight.  No idea what the schedule looked like, but near impossible everyone was feeling like a million bucks yesterday.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2014, 10:50:35 AM »
Providence has two players that are averaging over 40 minutes a game, so it is hard to say this team is overworked. However, everyone body is different.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2014, 10:55:50 AM »
The 40 hour turnaround for this game was brutal.  They flew out to New York after the game Thursday night, getting in after midnight.  No idea what the schedule looked like, but near impossible everyone was feeling like a million bucks yesterday.

The super bowl was also in town, and all the related activities, plenty of opportunity for distraction.

However, their year to date did not give them the luxury of being distracted yesterday.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 01:46:20 PM by Archies Bat »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2014, 01:26:43 PM »

I know this sounds stupid, but I really hope Burton's obvious lack of defense in the second half was a result of him being tired and not a result of watching Gardner take off defensive possessions every once in a while.

brandx

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2014, 01:36:19 PM »
I know this sounds stupid, but I really hope Burton's obvious lack of defense in the second half was a result of him being tired and not a result of watching Gardner take off defensive possessions every once in a while.

I think it was cuz Buzz was pissed at Jamil and Mayo and Deonte played a much longer stretch than he is used to. There is a huge difference between practice and being on the floor during a game.

A 19-20 year old kid should be able to play 40 minutes (ala Kemba's 5 games in 5 days), but if you aren't used to playing more than 2 or 3 minutes at a time, I think you get gassed pretty quick. And it's not like he is the kind of player who stands in the corner and waits for a pass.

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2014, 02:14:06 PM »
Well one thing is for certain...they aren't over-training there shooting.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2014, 03:11:19 PM »
I have been reading MUScoop for years, but rarely post.  However, I have never seen a discussion on here about overtraining. 

Yep, it's obvious the overtraining this program puts these guys through ruins most seasons. Crappy end of the year performances every March. They're just so tired. That's why they get tripped up in the tourney so early.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2014, 04:52:00 PM »

Yep, it's obvious the overtraining this program puts these guys through ruins most seasons. Crappy end of the year performances every March. They're just so tired. That's why they get tripped up in the tourney so early.

I appreciate the sarcasm, but nowhere did I imply that it ruins most seasons or that Buzz hasn't been successful.  I am a huge Buzz fan and like that he is able to get his athletes to buy into his program and work hard.  I believe it is why you have seen many players improve so much.

I also believe there is a fine line between working hard and working too hard.  There have been several overuse injuries over the years; more so than it seems with other programs.  A sprained ankle or torn ACL are not overuse injuries, but stress fractures and foot injuries usually are.  I think we all agree this team would have been better with Duane Wilson this year; how much better we will never know. 

I also think at times it seems this team is not able to perform in tournaments where there are back to back to back games, where by the second or third game they play awful and look very tired, even though the other team is in the same situation.  If they are playing two or three games in a row and also having an intense shoot around early in the morning, it could create extra fatigue that the other team is not experiencing. 

Just throwing ideas out there; not trying to imply this is a definite cause of anything, but there are enough examples to at least wonder if they need to learn to back off a little to avoid overuse injuries. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2014, 05:49:48 PM »
I also believe there is a fine line between working hard and working too hard.  There have been several overuse injuries over the years; more so than it seems with other programs.  A sprained ankle or torn ACL are not overuse injuries, but stress fractures and foot injuries usually are.  I think we all agree this team would have been better with Duane Wilson this year; how much better we will never know. 

I also think at times it seems this team is not able to perform in tournaments where there are back to back to back games, where by the second or third game they play awful and look very tired, even though the other team is in the same situation.  If they are playing two or three games in a row and also having an intense shoot around early in the morning, it could create extra fatigue that the other team is not experiencing. 

Yep. I totally forgot that Duane Wilson is out this year because of over-training in October.

Arguably MU's best win this season - over GW - came a day after they both had played other teams (GW had the game BEFORE MU). Somehow MU overcame the odds to pummel GW. That 16-point win probably would have been 56 if Buzz would have taken it easy on the fellas.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2014, 08:26:22 PM »

Yep. I totally forgot that Duane Wilson is out this year because of over-training in October.

Arguably MU's best win this season - over GW - came a day after they both had played other teams (GW had the game BEFORE MU). Somehow MU overcame the odds to pummel GW. That 16-point win probably would have been 56 if Buzz would have taken it easy on the fellas.

Thanks for reminding me why I don't post often.  You can always find examples of anything if you look hard enough.  There are other examples that would show just the opposite, but neither would be proof of anything, it is just a discussion.  By the way, it is fact that a stress fracture is usually caused by overuse.  The Wilson injury did change the outcome of this season; by how much we will never know.  Same with Cadougan's injury his freshman year, which I believe was an overuse injury as well, along with others.  By the way, maybe Buzz did take it easy on the fellas for the GW game and therefore your argument would be for the possibility of overtraining and when he doesn't, they win.  Who knows and that is why I brought it up, with several interesting responses. 

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2014, 10:39:09 PM »
How do you feel about taped ankles and listerene ?
If you are pro them, I have a perfect match for you.
  ;D ;D

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2014, 08:00:06 AM »
I think it was cuz Buzz was pissed at Jamil and Mayo and Deonte played a much longer stretch than he is used to. There is a huge difference between practice and being on the floor during a game.

A 19-20 year old kid should be able to play 40 minutes (ala Kemba's 5 games in 5 days), but if you aren't used to playing more than 2 or 3 minutes at a time, I think you get gassed pretty quick. And it's not like he is the kind of player who stands in the corner and waits for a pass.

+1

Deonte typically plays in short stints and goes all out. Seeing more extended minutes and going at that same pace is going to wear him out. It's like an Olympic 200m runner racing in a 800m race and struggling. It would seem odd for a world class runner to get gassed in under half a mile but it's not what his body and mind are used to.

For the team as a whole, I think the travel and quick turnaround took a bit of their energy but I also feel like hot outside shooting from a bad outside shooting team got MU on their heels defensively and they could never really get it back on track, and having lost that slight bit of energy just compounded things.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2014, 08:19:03 AM »
I think this topic has a lot of merit.  Two examples come to mind.  I went in the Army after graduating from Marquette.  We physically worked out dark til dark each day in basic training for 8 weeks.  We were not allowed to walk, but, had to "double time" (run) during this period.  We received a short break during Christmas and it was during a pick up game of basketball that I noticed my legs felt like "wood,"  from the constant training.  The second example is when you watch the NBA play off games.  Dwayne Wade was not nearly the player physically that he is during the playoffs last year because of wear and tear on his body from the long season.

During the Big East season it seems that Marquette plays slower and appears more winded that its opponents.  I agree with the poster of this topic that it could be from "over training." 

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2014, 08:24:29 AM »
I think this topic has a lot of merit.  Two examples come to mind.  I went in the Army after graduating from Marquette.  We physically worked out dark til dark each day in basic training for 8 weeks.  We were not allowed to walk, but, had to "double time" (run) during this period.  We received a short break during Christmas and it was during a pick up game of basketball that I noticed my legs felt like "wood,"  from the constant training.  The second example is when you watch the NBA play off games.  Dwayne Wade was not nearly the player physically that he is during the playoffs last year because of wear and tear on his body from the long season.

During the Big East season it seems that Marquette plays slower and appears more winded that its opponents.  I agree with the poster of this topic that it could be from "over training." 

MU went 14-4 in the BE each of the last 2 seasons and Buzz has won 64% of his career Big East games. I'm not sure why this year's team would fall victim to overtraining while past teams wouldn't.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2014, 08:31:48 AM »
MU went 14-4 in the BE each of the last 2 seasons and Buzz has won 64% of his career Big East games. I'm not sure why this year's team would fall victim to overtraining while past teams wouldn't.

Because we have to find a cause or a reason, preferably a singular one, as fans to blame. We can't accept that it's just a down/bad year across the board. It's overtraining. Or Derrick. Or Buzz. Or Vander's departure. We can't just say "it's a combination of a lot of factors/variables over several years." And we certainly can't say "this happens every now and then to even the best programs, so let's just ride it out"

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2014, 11:01:59 AM »
I am sorry but this has too be one of, if not the most stupid threads in truly a year of stupid threads. 

How many times over the last 6 years has Buzz been asked and commented on conditioning and physical training throughout the season> On numerous numerous occasion he has spoken about how important that is and that they tend to dial back the training and the season and travel wears on the players and they want to keep them fresh.  Buzz's back ground plus the input of Enest Eugene and Todd Smith and team trainers and doctors have a vast wealth of from collegiate and professional sports that dwarfs the retarded speculation of the OP and others.
The comment that Burton looked gassed was equally moronic.  He had been out there fore an extended stretch?  Without any dead ball timeouts. I would hope he would be gassed!! We always told out players...play like your hair is on fire and we will get you out get you a breather and get you back in.  But if you play to conserve your enegy you will come out and not return.
I liken this to hockey players, do the posters know that the average hockey winger or center plays for 45 seconds per shift??  They go out and literally sprint for 45 seconds and then sit for 2-3 minutes and do it again.  Is there something wrong with NHL coaches and trainers that these guys cannot go longer than that? 
Guys the stupid speculation on this teams stuggles  is over the top.  We are undertalented and underathletic  and lack some toughness.  Sure its Buzzs fault at the end of the day but everyone is trying.  Step back and rrelax its nothing more or less

UticaBusBarn

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2014, 11:27:14 AM »
Actually, MU 1980 has raised a very legitimate point. The issue of the Warriors being "beat" came up in year two and three of Coach Williams' tenure.

It is a issue often swept under the rug in various work settings. As is, you can solve all problems by "working harder." Working smarter, yes - working more hours probably no. Average productivity drops by between 25 and 50 percent for those working over 50 hour weeks.

No one in the world wants to win more than Coach Williams. This season has had to pain him and been most difficult. However, Coach Williams, like Coach McGuire, is a bit ... ahhh, focused. As a result, it is possible that Coach Williams, is working himself harder, and is working his players just as hard, and being more intense than usual as he tries to right the ship for the big dance.

The NCAA has strict requirements for the hours a team can practice before the regular season begins. Once the season begins these restrictions are liberalized. In addition, there is the whole discussion of individual work outs to be considered.

Maybe it would not hurt Coach Williams and the Warrior players to take a day off from all the pressure of big-time college basketball and spend it doing something requiring no physical, or mental effort ... such as watching Road Runner animated cartoons for three or four hours  :)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2014, 11:32:56 AM »
Actually, MU 1980 has raised a very legitimate point. The issue of the Warriors being "beat" came up in year two and three of Coach Williams' tenure.

It is a issue often swept under the rug in various work settings. As is, you can solve all problems by "working harder." Working smarter, yes - working more hours probably no. Average productivity drops by between 25 and 50 percent for those working over 50 hour weeks.

No one in the world wants to win more than Coach Williams. This season has had to pain him and been most difficult. However, Coach Williams, like Coach McGuire, is a bit ... ahhh, focused. As a result, it is possible that Coach Williams, is working himself harder, and is working his players just as hard, and being more intense than usual as he tries to right the ship for the big dance.

The NCAA has strict requirements for the hours a team can practice before the regular season begins. Once the season begins these restrictions are liberalized. In addition, there is the whole discussion of individual work outs to be considered.

Maybe it would not hurt Coach Williams and the Warrior players to take a day off from all the pressure of big-time college basketball and spend it doing something requiring no physical, or mental effort ... such as watching Road Runner animated cartoons for three or four hours  :)

You mean like going to a Broadway show the night before a game in NYC?

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2014, 12:19:52 PM »
I am sorry but this has too be one of, if not the most stupid threads in truly a year of stupid threads. 

How many times over the last 6 years has Buzz been asked and commented on conditioning and physical training throughout the season> On numerous numerous occasion he has spoken about how important that is and that they tend to dial back the training and the season and travel wears on the players and they want to keep them fresh.  Buzz's back ground plus the input of Enest Eugene and Todd Smith and team trainers and doctors have a vast wealth of from collegiate and professional sports that dwarfs the retarded speculation of the OP and others.
The comment that Burton looked gassed was equally moronic.  He had been out there fore an extended stretch?  Without any dead ball timeouts. I would hope he would be gassed!! We always told out players...play like your hair is on fire and we will get you out get you a breather and get you back in.  But if you play to conserve your enegy you will come out and not return.
I liken this to hockey players, do the posters know that the average hockey winger or center plays for 45 seconds per shift??  They go out and literally sprint for 45 seconds and then sit for 2-3 minutes and do it again.  Is there something wrong with NHL coaches and trainers that these guys cannot go longer than that? 
Guys the stupid speculation on this teams stuggles  is over the top.  We are undertalented and underathletic  and lack some toughness.  Sure its Buzzs fault at the end of the day but everyone is trying.  Step back and rrelax its nothing more or less

I appreciate the very nice input river rat, without any insults or anything.  Very nice.  As others have pointed out, this is a valid topic for two reasons.  One, we seem to have had more overuse injuries than other teams over the years, including this year.  A stress fracture is because you pushed too hard.  Why didn't everyone on the team get one?  Because some people are more prone to them than others when pushed too hard.  Secondly, it is common for announcers and others to talk about the very intense shoot around practices Marquette has on game days.  I do not hear of other programs doing that.  You want to be fresh for the game, not fatigued from getting up early and pushing yourself to exhaustion a few hours before the game.

Nowhere in my first post was I entirely blaming the overtraining as the sole reason this season has been less than expected, but the points brought up are valid.  Buzz is a workaholic and likes others around him to work hard, which is an admirable quality.  There is also a fine line between optimal conditioning and overdoing it.  I have absolutely no idea if this is the case with this team or others, but have provided examples and some science behind my points and is why I thought it was worth discussing.

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2014, 01:48:59 PM »
I think the fact that you state you have "no idea" says it all.

More importantly a vast cadre of professional doctors, trainers, kiniesiologists, and physical therapists with hundreds of years of experience do!!!  All of these Marquette BBAll people in numerous fourums, print, newspaper, radio and other medias have commented on how important this type of management is and how they need to keep a very close watch and maintain a good feel for those issues.

yet some one "with No idea" comes on here and makes some profound hypothesis that we are overtraining!!!   And by the way Dominic james did not have a stress fracture from over training.  he stepped on a Uconn Players foot and broke his foot!!  
I realize its an open forum ... but thread after thread of people coming up with one stupid theory after another followed by normally commpletely incorrect facts that support these theories has hit almost mind blowing proportions during this season.  

The most hilarious of them all is how after one game everything is good and the team might go on a roll and then after the next all that was bad is bad again and we have 30 new rumors or theories on why everything is bad.

The team is underathletic and undertalented.  this is a result of transfers injuries and a huge early departure.  Nothing more nothing less.  These things combined for an average team.  Averge teams win some and lose soem.  That is what this team is doing  nothing changes form one game to the next  .  Good teams are consistantly good, averge teams are not, bad teams are consistantly bad.  No grand conspiracies need to be going on.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 01:51:05 PM by River rat »

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2014, 02:47:59 PM »
River Rat, I appreciate this response without being called an idiot, although I am sure you are still thinking it.  You do bring up some good points, such as James stress fracture being caused by stepping on someone, as opposed to overuse.  Most stress fractures are from overuse, but can occur both ways.  I do not have a good enough memory to know which injuries over the past several years were overuse injuries, as opposed to trauma.  It appears that Wilson's was overuse, but I realize that is just one injury. 

My thread was not started because of the level this years team is playing; I have thought about it for the past several years, each time a player is sidelined with a stress injury.  I too am frustrated with all the different "theories" of what is wrong with this years team, so I can understand why someone who lump my post in with those, even though that wasn't the intent. 

Also, I am a huge fan of Buzz Williams and have complimented him throughout my posts on this thread, so the intent was not to slam on Buzz.  With all of that said, I come from a distance running background and there are some top level collegiate distance coaches that have degrees in exercise science that continually burn out or injure many of their top runners from pushing them too hard.  The philosophy seems to be "we have to work harder than everyone else and if we have a few casualties along the way, the ones that are left will be that much stronger".  Of course, if the injured one is a key runner, or player, on the team, it can be costly.  These are highly intelligent coaches from Major DI Universities and yet they often make the same mistakes year in and year out, knowing it is a fine line between working really hard and getting injured or burned out. 

This topic is still of interest to me and yes I do have an extensive background in exercise science, but little in basketball.  Overtraining and overuse injuries can occur in any sport however and the science behind it can be very similar. 

As far as me having no idea, it is why I brought up the thread; to ask questions and elicit some responses and/or theories.  I thought someone with a little more knowledge of the program may have some insight.  For example, lately I have not heard any comments about how hard the team works in their shoot around the day of the game like I used to, so maybe that is not the case anymore.  Someone said Wilson works incredibly hard and maybe he was doing more than he was supposed to be doing, but as I asked in a different post, did he have a history of stress fractures in the past.  Many things I don't know, but would be interested in knowing. 

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2014, 02:56:15 PM »
The team is underathletic and undertalented.  this is a result of transfers injuries and a huge early departure.  Nothing more nothing less.  These things combined for an average team.  Averge teams win some and lose soem.  That is what this team is doing  nothing changes form one game to the next  .  Good teams are consistantly good, averge teams are not, bad teams are consistantly bad.  No grand conspiracies need to be going on.

This paragraph really sums this season up nicely...unfortunately.

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2014, 03:40:29 PM »
This paragraph really sums this season up nicely...unfortunately.

I agree it is unfortunate, but it is really that simple.  Buzz isnt over training.  Buzz didnt turn into a bad coach.  Buzz and the players are doing everything they can, unfortunately it just isnt enough.  Threads that say Dawson is better than derrick are incorrect.  They are simply fueled by frustration that our Starting PG is not good enough ( and that doesnt make our back up good enough either).  Same can be said about our shooting guard, if anyone needs a state of reference they only need to look at last year and the amount of minutes JAke got last year.  Hes prolly the worst starting Sg in the BE, great kid Im sure, but your not gonna win.  Sure Todd has been fabulous at times but non existant at other times...that means win some lose some.
I guarantee if 2 years ago you asked Buzz if DW and JT was your strating backcourt he would say he was in trouble.  UNfortunately it has worked out that way.  Buzz admitted last year he got caught through circumstances without enough good guards and has recruited his ass off to fix that going forward and to make sure it doesnt happen again regardless of what might unexpectedly transpire

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2014, 04:06:57 PM »

I agree it is unfortunate, but it is really that simple.  Buzz isnt over training.  Buzz didnt turn into a bad coach.  Buzz and the players are doing everything they can, unfortunately it just isnt enough.  Threads that say Dawson is better than derrick are incorrect.  They are simply fueled by frustration that our Starting PG is not good enough ( and that doesnt make our back up good enough either).  Same can be said about our shooting guard, if anyone needs a state of reference they only need to look at last year and the amount of minutes JAke got last year.  Hes prolly the worst starting Sg in the BE, great kid Im sure, but your not gonna win.  Sure Todd has been fabulous at times but non existant at other times...that means win some lose some.
I guarantee if 2 years ago you asked Buzz if DW and JT was your strating backcourt he would say he was in trouble.  UNfortunately it has worked out that way.  Buzz admitted last year he got caught through circumstances without enough good guards and has recruited his ass off to fix that going forward and to make sure it doesnt happen again regardless of what might unexpectedly transpire

So based on this post, a big reason we are struggling this year is because of a lack of quality guards.  I think most would agree with that. 

Do you believe Duane Wilson is a quality guard?  In your opinion would we be better, worse or about the same with Duane Wilson not red-shirting, realizing he is a freshman, although a highly recruited one. 

Do you know that the majority of stress fractures are from overworking without enough rest and recovery, although as you pointed out, James stress fracture was a trauma injury.  I have not heard anything to indicate this was a trauma injury; if someone knows differently they can point that out.   

These are the reasons this is a valid discussion, without putting any blame on Buzz, his staff, or Wilson.  I think everyone would rather see people work extremely hard as opposed to being lazy.  Sometimes injuries happen, but when you are pushing really hard as this program reportedly does, you run the risks of losing players because of it.  This wasn't a fluke injury; it appears to be an overuse injury.  This season would be different with Wilson playing; how much different nobody can know, but guard quality and depth is a big reason the team is struggling. 

brandx

« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2014, 04:42:14 PM »
So based on this post, a big reason we are struggling this year is because of a lack of quality guards.  I think most would agree with that. 

Do you believe Duane Wilson is a quality guard?  In your opinion would we be better, worse or about the same with Duane Wilson not red-shirting, realizing he is a freshman, although a highly recruited one. 

Do you know that the majority of stress fractures are from overworking without enough rest and recovery, although as you pointed out, James stress fracture was a trauma injury.  I have not heard anything to indicate this was a trauma injury; if someone knows differently they can point that out.   

These are the reasons this is a valid discussion, without putting any blame on Buzz, his staff, or Wilson.  I think everyone would rather see people work extremely hard as opposed to being lazy.  Sometimes injuries happen, but when you are pushing really hard as this program reportedly does, you run the risks of losing players because of it.  This wasn't a fluke injury; it appears to be an overuse injury.  This season would be different with Wilson playing; how much different nobody can know, but guard quality and depth is a big reason the team is struggling. 

You think other coaches wrap their players in bubble wrap? You think Izzo or Ryan or Matta, or Calipari go easy on their gus to avoid injury?

Your whole premise is silly.

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2014, 06:18:35 PM »
You think other coaches wrap their players in bubble wrap? You think Izzo or Ryan or Matta, or Calipari go easy on their gus to avoid injury?

Your whole premise is silly.

Not silly at all and nowhere did I imply that other coaches wrap their players in bubble wrap.

The reason I started the thread was last fall when Duane got his stress fracture, several avid college basketball fans were asking why it seems like we have so many more stress related injuries than other teams.  I really don't follow other teams that much so I didn't know if that was true or not.  When the team struggled this year and a big reason was because of lack of quality guards and depth at that position, I brought up the topic.  If you want to refute that statement with some facts, I am okay with that.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2014, 06:20:19 PM »

Threads that say Dawson is better than derrick are incorrect.  They are simply fueled by frustration that our Starting PG is not good enough ( and that doesnt make our back up good enough either).  Same can be said about our shooting guard, if anyone needs a state of reference they only need to look at last year and the amount of minutes JAke got last year.  Hes prolly the worst starting Sg in the BE, great kid Im sure, but your not gonna win.  Sure Todd has been fabulous at times but non existant at other times...that means win some lose some.

Who do you think has more talent?:

Derrick Wilson or John Dawson?

Todd Mayo or Jake Thomas?
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2014, 08:32:35 AM »

MORATORIUM!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2014, 08:37:06 AM »
Like anybody believed he could do it.   It would be like Snooki giving up tanning. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2014, 09:06:58 AM »

Good Todd Mayo has as much talent as anyone on the team. Bad Todd is the worst player on the team (0 points, 4 turnovers and one flagrant foul Saturday). He made one huge shot against Georgetown, but other than that isn't he (by far) our worst player away from the Bradley Center?

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2014, 10:58:29 AM »
I agree with Lenny...and that is simply the problem with this years team.  IS not bad coaching, overtraining or all the other stupid conspiracies. 
it is simply two fold.
1) the talent isne where it needs to be or was projected to be.
2) Some of the better talent we have is unprepared( ie talented but not yet ready freshman) or is underperforming.

To asnwer some of the questions:  who is better jake or Todd??  Who knows?  One would like to say Todd but as lenny states Todd has turned in some of the worst performances I can remeber.  At st. Johns was pathetic.  At Butler almost as bad, and on and on.  he has more potential than JAke but potential and a dollar will get you a cup of coffe at Miss KAties.  @G is a hug problem and literally no one has stepped up for more than a game in a row....result = WLWLWLWL

PG - Derrick wilson is better than Dawson....Will Dawson be better than Derrick When he is a Junoir? yes...is he a junior? ... no.
All the kudos to John DAwson and I loved his performance against Georgetown but in 99% of our games this year Derrick has been better.  Its unfortunate for MU My guess is the PG minutes would have been 15 for VB, 18 for Duane and 7 for Derrick if things transpired according to plan