[Today at 10:02:26 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[Today at 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Burton  (Read 51020 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: Burton
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2013, 04:36:43 PM »
I think you will see more minutes from the freshmen than in past years. We need the guards to play to upgrade and Burton will get minutes. I would be very surprised if Burton, JJJ and Wilson are not logging big minutes in 2nd half of season.

Marquette Fan in WI

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2013, 09:14:29 PM »
Uber talented...loved the power two foot jump stop/hop to basket he used a couple of times.  They don't make many 6'5" guys his weight/build that can explode and elevate like he can.  Brevin Knight even through out a Charles Barkley reference....

Think he can definitely be a 10-15 minute contributor this season in conference play - he's absolutely physically ready...and a very assertive, physical presence.  He's the bull that we need Jamil to be..
It was said a while ago Burton should be nicknamed the "Bull". 
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=39364.msg507775#msg507775
He is a Beast down low coming off that baseline I can't think of anyone I'd rather have.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2013, 09:18:33 PM »
Deonte is Bane.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2013, 10:10:30 PM »
Burton is as good as Jayvaughn Pinkston is now. That's the comparison.  Watching Pinkston's activity down the stretch last season has been watching Burton the last two games. He will come in and out of that form this season but that is the least amount of procuction I'd expect from him.

raul

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2013, 11:43:18 PM »
The few games I saw burton as a high school player I was not impressed but this year he seems to be more aggressive and sure of himself. He is like a bull and very confident. Love it

thanooj

• Starter
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2013, 01:09:36 PM »
I also have thought it was too bad he was 6'4". He seems to be slated as a 2/3 player that will have to slide over to the undersized 4 position to get more minutes. In the southern game he had to guard much bigger players and was fearless, even when he got beat. But in reading this thread I have decided that him being a "bull" in a 6'4" body is a plus. He looks like he has very good ball handling skills to go along with explosiveness and a left handed shot. If he is a guard like Wes Matthews instead of a PF like Lazar, his height and strength suddenly becomes an advantage. A wing player who can create on a dribble drive and post up and defend multiple positions on the court. I think he is going to be very very good
Original member of the "Dean's List"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2013, 01:12:26 PM »
He was poorly coached in high school.

The lack of height isn't going to hurt him in college.  You can be plenty effective as an undersized, brutish player.  Unless he develops his offensive game almost completely, it is tough to see him at the next level, but there is plenty of time to worry about that.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2013, 01:52:51 PM »
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2013, 02:17:57 PM »
Burton is as good as Jayvaughn Pinkston is now. That's the comparison.  Watching Pinkston's activity down the stretch last season has been watching Burton the last two games. He will come in and out of that form this season but that is the least amount of procuction I'd expect from him.

This is a good comparison. Deonte being left handed is an added bonus.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2013, 02:28:29 PM »
i agree with several others commenting about how good it is to see Burton being aggressive on offense.  Wish Jamil and Juan would take note and copy.  Burton was touted as 6'5" as a Junior in high school.  How did he shrink an inch at MU?  The same thing happened to Steve Taylor who was 6'8" in high school.  Is there something in the Milwaukee water that shrinks our players?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2013, 02:36:17 PM »
i agree with several others commenting about how good it is to see Burton being aggressive on offense.  Wish Jamil and Juan would take note and copy.  Burton was touted as 6'5" as a Junior in high school.  How did he shrink an inch at MU?  The same thing happened to Steve Taylor who was 6'8" in high school.  Is there something in the Milwaukee water that shrinks our players?
I looked at the official roster to see what he was listed as. He is listed as 6"4". Duane Wilson is listed as 6'2", so he also shrunk an inch.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2013, 02:39:08 PM »
Even more mysteriously MU players seem to shrink even more when they enter the NBA.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2013, 03:15:02 PM »

The lack of height isn't going to hurt him in college.  You can be plenty effective as an undersized, brutish player.  Unless he develops his offensive game almost completely, it is tough to see him at the next level, but there is plenty of time to worry about that.

You can always work with your dad to get transferred to TN!

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2013, 03:21:13 PM »
Even more mysteriously MU players seem to shrink even more when they enter the NBA.

Yeah, I think Jae is now listed at 5' 11".

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2013, 04:14:42 PM »
Yeah, I think Jae is now listed at 5' 11".

So he shaved his head, then?
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2013, 04:24:24 PM »
Remember when people said Jimmy Butler was not the leader we needed him to be early in his senior season and that he wasn't aggressive enough?  Yeah, I think that turned out OK for us and for him.  I'll bring this thread back up when JWil follows the same path as Jimmy.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2013, 04:28:24 PM »
brutish player

Brutish has a pejorative connotation. Muscular, ferocious, or pugnacious might be less detractive.

Death on call

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2013, 06:10:43 PM »

I love Burton's upside, but I'd maybe temper those expectations. Pinkston is averaging 21.5 ppg this year after averaging 13.3 ppg and 5 rpg a year ago. Putting a kid in that category based on two games, especially when the breakout performance was against Grambling, might be a bit premature.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2013, 06:55:13 PM »
Remember when people said Jimmy Butler was not the leader we needed him to be early in his senior season and that he wasn't aggressive enough?  Yeah, I think that turned out OK for us and for him.  I'll bring this thread back up when JWil follows the same path as Jimmy.

I hope so bad that you're right.

At the pro-am Jamil gets downright pissed, but he smiles through it. I hope he gets comfortable with his emotions and learns to channel his rage. Keeping it bottled up is for freshmen and entry-level employees.

john31

« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2013, 10:24:06 PM »

Burton+30lbs of muscle= All pro TE, I can see him at that next level. Am I the first to state this? Not advocating MU bring back football..... I'm just saying....

brandx

« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2013, 11:58:45 PM »
Burton+30lbs of muscle= All pro TE, I can see him at that next level. Am I the first to state this? Not advocating MU bring back football..... I'm just saying....

Did he play football in high school? Did he ever play tight end?

The guys (ex-basketball players) in the NFL were all football players before they got to the NFL

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2013, 12:11:10 AM »
There were a few who stood out as bad defensively last night.   I won't name them, but Burton wasn't one of them.
Defense is almost always 90% effort, much of the time.

I'd say that your statement is 100% true 65% of the time.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2013, 10:14:43 AM »

The lack of height isn't going to hurt him in college.  You can be plenty effective as an undersized, brutish player.

See DJO.

brandx

« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2013, 10:39:32 AM »
See DJO.

The aggressive offensive player is going to get the calls. Even if Deonte doesn't shoot a great %, he will be an outstanding player by his Jr. & Sr. seasons because he will be at the line so much.

People criticized the refs when it came to guys kike Jordan, Erving, Kobe, etc. always "getting" the calls. They got those calls because they were always taking it to the hole.

Mobot

• Team Captain
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2013, 11:19:26 AM »
Ruben Patterson had a lot of success in college and a long pro career.  He was another 6'5" athletic freak.  Dude had long arms though, great defender.  Not sure about Burton's wing span or his defensive abilities.