[Today at 04:00:30 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Burton  (Read 51018 times)

San Diego Warrior

• Starter
Burton
« on: November 13, 2013, 10:35:59 AM »
Apologize if anyone has already started this thread, but I really liked what I saw out of Burton.  He reminds me a bit of Wes as a freshman the way he attacks the hoop and plays in the post.

🏀

• All American
Re: Burton
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 10:44:18 AM »
He's a lot stronger around the hoop than even junior Wes was.

brandx

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 10:49:46 AM »
Apologize if anyone has already started this thread, but I really liked what I saw out of Burton.  He reminds me a bit of Wes as a freshman the way he attacks the hoop and plays in the post.

Everyone looks good against a "team" like Grambling. But unless he plays defense he won't see much more than 5 - 8 minutes a game once we start playing real teams.

That being said, you are right that the talent is there. I think he's an all-conf player by his senior year.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 11:35:03 AM »
Uber talented...loved the power two foot jump stop/hop to basket he used a couple of times.  They don't make many 6'5" guys his weight/build that can explode and elevate like he can.  Brevin Knight even through out a Charles Barkley reference....

Think he can definitely be a 10-15 minute contributor this season in conference play - he's absolutely physically ready...and a very assertive, physical presence.  He's the bull that we need Jamil to be..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 11:46:18 AM »
Uber talented...loved the power two foot jump stop/hop to basket he used a couple of times.  They don't make many 6'5" guys his weight/build that can explode and elevate like he can.  Brevin Knight even through out a Charles Barkley reference....

Think he can definitely be a 10-15 minute contributor this season in conference play - he's absolutely physically ready...and a very assertive, physical presence.  He's the bull that we need Jamil to be..

He also seems like the type of player that can gain confidence quickly.  He isn't shy about shooting the ball.  We could use some more guys with that mentality.  I think his % will improve the more he gets used to the team and pace of the college game.

brandx

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 12:43:41 PM »
He also seems like the type of player that can gain confidence quickly.  He isn't shy about shooting the ball.  We could use some more guys with that mentality.  I think his % will improve the more he gets used to the team and pace of the college game.

That's what I like best about him - too often we haven't had enough of that kind of aggressive player on offense. Just imagine Jamil with Deonte's aggressiveness on offense.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 12:48:28 PM »
jamil would be a top 10 pick if he had deontes aggresiveness... lol

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 12:50:25 PM »
That's what I like best about him - too often we haven't had enough of that kind of aggressive player on offense. Just imagine Jamil with Deonte's aggressiveness on offense.

Jamel, it seems will never be a take charge guy, nor does MU go out of there way to get him more shoots.  He seemed a little more assertive yesterday but still has a ways to go.
The game yesterday was no more than a scrimmage, but for the freshman and even Jake Thomas, it probably got some of there jitters out of the way.  Jake needed a game like
that, happy for him, the freshman gave us hope for the future.  To bad Duane is hurt.  With all the guards back next year except Thomas, add 2 to replace him, it should be fun
to watch again next year.  Hill and Cohen look a little more on the physical side for guards which they will need.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 01:21:12 PM »
I like what I'm seeing from Deonte as well.  He has that knack for always being around the ball so even if he's not shooting a great % he seems to find offensive rebounds and I definitely like his aggressiveness.  He will be a good one.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 01:37:57 PM »
Deonte is not your avg freshman, he's a star in the making.  You will all soon understand.

He's already a top 5 player on this team.  Will finish 3rd or 4th in scoring.  Gardner, J Wilson, Deonte, Steve and Todd will be your top 5.  He will be playing 20-25 mins each game, in the very near future.  Similar minutes to Devante.   #diaperdandy.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 01:46:19 PM »
Deonte is not your avg freshman, he's a star in the making.  You will all soon understand.

He's already a top 5 player on this team.  Will finish 3rd or 4th in scoring.  Gardner, J Wilson, Deonte, Steve and Todd will be your top 5.  He will be playing 20-25 mins each game, in the very near future.  Similar minutes to Devante.   #diaperdandy.

I want to see him defend against "non-SWAC" competition before saying he will average 20-25 mpg.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 01:47:25 PM »

Who's Devante?

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2013, 01:50:37 PM »

Agree with this. The guy will be a stud, very soon. He has the body, the aggressiveness and knack. Just too bad he is 6'4". He can bang with many bigger guys, but a couple more inches would make him awesome. He just needs to continue to work on his shot. All the tools will then be there.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 01:57:54 PM »
Say what you want about the pro am, but you can tell a lot about a players makeup. McKay was kind of laid back. Burton was a bull in the china shop. When he was matched up against Tokoto he repeatedly challenged Tokoto as they both tried to outdo the other. Jamil played in that same game like it did not matter to him. I love Burton's take no prisoner attitude.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2013, 01:58:50 PM »
Agree with this. The guy will be a stud, very soon. He has the body, the aggressiveness and knack. Just too bad he is 6'4". He can bang with many bigger guys, but a couple more inches would make him awesome. He just needs to continue to work on his shot. All the tools will then be there.
I think that makes him a four year player, so that is okay with me.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2013, 02:01:37 PM »
Who's Devante?
I don't know why I typed that (maybe reading too much jsonline), I know his name is Ox.

Deonte will be just fine on the defensive end of the floor.  Not All frosh are bad defenders, just most.

brandx

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2013, 02:09:34 PM »
I don't know why I typed that (maybe reading too much jsonline), I know his name is Ox.

Deonte will be just fine on the defensive end of the floor.  Not All frosh are bad defenders, just most.

Wasn't  very good defensively against the worst team in the country - but at least the effort was there. He will learn what Buzz wants on that end of the floor - but I don't see 20-25 minutes this year.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2013, 02:13:31 PM »
I think that makes him a four year player, so that is okay with me.

Agree. If he was 6'7" he'd probably be at Kentucky interviewing guys to be his agent.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2013, 02:20:15 PM »
There were a few who stood out as bad defensively last night.   I won't name them, but Burton wasn't one of them.
Defense is almost always 90% effort, much of the time.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2013, 02:21:27 PM »
There were a few who stood out as bad defensively last night.   I won't name them, but Burton wasn't one of them.
Defense is almost always 90% effort, much of the time.

Ill call one of them out for you JJJ was absolutely brutal on the defensive end.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2013, 02:40:59 PM »
Ill call one of them out for you JJJ was absolutely brutal on the defensive end.
Was that really necessary?  He's played like 25 mins of D1 be all.  If you want to call someone out you could choose a 5th yr senior starter who got beat off the dribble more times than I can count.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2013, 03:00:57 PM »

Let him get acclimated to the speed of the game at this level... I'm sure Buzz is working him hard in practice and he won't put a frosh on the floor if he can't play any defense.  So I think it's just a matter of adjusting.

brandx

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2013, 03:44:12 PM »
Let him get acclimated to the speed of the game at this level... I'm sure Buzz is working him hard in practice and he won't put a frosh on the floor if he can't play any defense.  So I think it's just a matter of adjusting.

That was my point. These guys are freshman. And Buzz is very specific in what he wants to do on defense. It just takes time.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2013, 04:06:26 PM »
Deonte, with his build and inside game, reminds a Lamar Hayward. To Bad he's only 6-4 or 5.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2013, 04:08:45 PM »
Deonte, with his build and inside game, reminds a Lamar Hayward. To Bad he's only 6-4 or 5.

Well I mean so was Lazar.

feedback