Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Raftery to Big East  (Read 6524 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
Re: Raftery to Big East
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2013, 03:50:50 PM »
I friggin love love love this move. Johnson and Raft are great. Sure, both may at times become caricatures, but after doing something for so long and being liked for doing it, you often tend to give people what they want (and expect).

I think this is great from a credibility standpoint. No, announcers don't make/break a league or network, but they can certainly affect the perception of it.

Imagine if Fox Sports had hired ESPN's or CBS' third-string crew. With no "names", they'd have no cache or anything at the table from day one.

The fact that Johnson and Raft are two well-known "brands" helps the credibility of FS1. Great, great get. And as a fan, I'm super stoked to see Raft. I'll miss him and Bilas as they had great chemistry.

Who knows....maybe Bilas will jump to FOX1 too?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2013, 03:56:51 PM »
Who knows....maybe Bilas will jump to FOX1 too?

Unlikely.  Charissa Thompson is in the Fox fold now, from ESPN.  She is dating Jay Williams, who had his contract end with ESPN a few months ago. I don't think he resigned with ESPN, so you might see Williams come over to Fox.

ESPN is paring down a bunch of costs right now and willing to let some talent go, which Fox is happy to pick up.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2013, 04:06:36 PM »
Jay Williams is a douche bag

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2013, 04:09:56 PM »
Onions!

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2013, 04:23:46 PM »
How can anyone not love this?   Both are outstanding!!!
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2013, 05:30:34 PM »
I guess Gus won't be doing games on BTN anymore.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

muguru

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2013, 05:35:09 PM »
I love getting Raf but if it means he won't call NCAA tourney games anymore, than I don't know how I feel about it. Seems kind of bittersweet then.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2013, 05:40:29 PM »
I love getting Raf but if it means he won't call NCAA tourney games anymore, than I don't know how I feel about it. Seems kind of bittersweet then.
I would think him leaving ESPN has little/no impact on his working NCAA Tourney games broadcast on CBS/Turner. 

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2013, 06:09:14 PM »
What a great addition, Bill Raftery is Big East basketball!
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2013, 06:10:54 PM »
I guess Gus won't be doing games on BTN anymore.

BTN is 49% owned by Fox.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2013, 06:13:03 PM »

He might be able to.  ESPN "loaned" Jay Bilas and others over to CBS in the past to call NCAA Tournament games so it is not unprecedented.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2013, 07:29:58 PM »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2013, 07:33:41 PM »
He is still with CBS.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2013, 11:09:11 PM »
I have no use for Gus Johnson, but thrilled will the Raftery news.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2013, 07:01:50 AM »
I like Raft because when he gets excited he sometimes refers to MU as the Warriors.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2013, 08:40:38 AM »
As per ESPN he will still do CBS http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9430328/bill-raftery-leaves-espn-fox-sticks-big-east
Goal is National Championship

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2013, 08:50:51 AM »

People just don't read crap anymore, do they?

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2013, 09:13:35 AM »
I like Raft because when he gets excited he sometimes refers to MU as the Warriors.
Only true knowledgeable basketball fans know that MU is and will always be Warriors. Golden Eagles is just the PC name used by the phonies.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

klyrish

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2013, 12:19:02 PM »
I never understood how pissed off or excited about announcers. The announcers have a .0000001% effect on the game to me.

That said, both these guys are big names and generally liked. Great for the new conference.

You've clearly never watched a game called by Mark Pritchard and Lon Elmwood.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2013, 11:28:50 PM »
I do like both guys but I hope Johnson finds a way to be balanced in his excitement.  At critical moments or the end of the game... his energy is great.  But when a guy makes a nice shot in the first five minutes let's not pretend it is the greatest moment ever.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2013, 12:18:07 AM »
You've clearly never watched a game called by Mark Pritchard and Lon Elmwood.

I am guessing you are referencing Len Elmore. What's crazy is that he is a Harvard Law grad so one would think his training would yield exceptional precision and accuracy in his commentary. What is obvious is that his part time gig gets little prep. He should be held accountable for butchering players' names. It really is inexcusable.

Death on call

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2013, 04:17:56 PM »
I try to be objective.

Bill Raftery is a great pickup imo.  He knows the teams and league.  He's extremely likable as a person.  It is such an admirable trait to be able to offer constructive criticism in a positive way.  This is a big Raft trait.  He likes what he does.  And, it shows.  It's fair to say that He isn't the same at times, but that can be expected at this stage of his career.  His work is still very good more often than not at this time.  At some point that will change.  I don't think it will in the early stages of the new league during the transition period.

Partnered with Gus Johnson.  Johnson is solid, but not great imo.  He has a lot of potential to be better than he is at this time.  Some will have blanket reaction/opinion based on their like or dislike for his enthusiasm.  For me, when it is natural in certain parts of a game, it's great.  But when it's manufactured, which for me has happened too much in recent years, it's far less appealing.  His prep isn't always what I'd like to see, and pairing him with Raft, might not provide the best balance there.  But both are solid enough and likable enough to do fine.

Raft isn't play by play and I always separate the two jobs.  But pne can think of Verne Lundquist or Dick Enberg when thinking of Raft.  Enberg's worked slipped more and sooner than Verne, but Verne's has too.  Raft is slowly going down that path.  And, at times, he could do better to slip in the catch phrases on some spots vs others, more judiciously.  That's fair.

I like both Raft and Johnson, and I think it's a good start for the new league.

I would have to agree regarding Len Elmore.  He's clearly intelligent and understands the game, but prep was lacking.  And, for some, likability wasn't there as much as some pf the others.  Plus LE was/ is more of a debate person. 

Harlan is good pbp imo.  McDonough is good.  Leading the viewer/listener, adding to the broadcast, without being the focal point.  I like Ian Eagle as well.

klyrish

• All American
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2013, 05:33:42 PM »
I am guessing you are referencing Len Elmore. What's crazy is that he is a Harvard Law grad so one would think his training would yield exceptional precision and accuracy in his commentary. What is obvious is that his part time gig gets little prep. He should be held accountable for butchering players' names. It really is inexcusable.

Mike Patrick (who messes up every person's name and what team they're on) and Len Elmore...the John Madden of NCAA commentary without any of the funny noises. Besides the general humor stemming from his weird voice.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2013, 07:11:36 PM »
You are so right, Willie.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2013, 03:10:57 PM »
So does this mean there will be only one Big East game on any one day?