[Today at 06:34:41 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[Today at 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Will Vander Get Drafted?

Yes
108 (41.2%)
No
154 (58.8%)

Total Members Voted: 258

Author Topic: Poll: Will Vander Get Drafted?  (Read 7803 times)

MUfan12

• All American
Re: Poll: Will Vander Get Drafted?
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2013, 01:31:04 PM »
And great 2 guard size

Exactly. Honestly, I think DJO was more talented than Wes coming out of Marquette. And that's not a knock on Wesley at all.

If DJO was Wesley's size, he would have been a lottery pick.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2013, 01:37:52 PM »
Honestly, I think DJO was more talented than Wes coming out of Marquette.

Ehhh....I don't know about that. 

Wes scored more, rebounded more and shot better his senior year.  Plus he was always a better defender than DJO. 

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2013, 01:54:39 PM »

Ehhh....I don't know about that. 

Wes scored more, rebounded more and shot better his senior year.  Plus he was always a better defender than DJO. 

The numbers were close, except for rebounding. Wes got to the line a ton more. Interesting to look at, regardless.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=23-wesley-matthews&i=1&p1=darius-johnson-odom

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2013, 01:55:52 PM »
As a 2nd rounder, you have a non-guaranteed contract with a team that thinks enough of your abilities to draft your rights. The other option is to go to a team that didn't think you were worth a draft pick and hope to latch on.

That isn't always completely true. Some teams traded away one or both of their draft picks and therefore have to go the free-agent route with rookies. For example, the Bobcats have the No. 4 pick in this year's draft and then that's it. No second-rounder. So they might LOVE Vander and would have drafted him 35th overall if they could have ... and they would be thrilled if no other team drafted him. That happens fairly often, as NBA teams throw second-round picks around in trades like crazy.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2013, 01:57:37 PM »
That isn't always completely true. Some teams traded away one or both of their draft picks and therefore have to go the free-agent route with rookies. For example, the Bobcats have the No. 4 pick in this year's draft and then that's it. No second-rounder. So they might LOVE Vander and would have drafted him 35th overall if they could have ... and they would be thrilled if no other team drafted him. That happens fairly often, as NBA teams throw second-round picks around in trades like crazy.

If they LOVED Vander, they'd trade a future 2nd Round pick for a 2013 2nd Round pick and draft him.

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2013, 04:23:12 PM »
I think if he makes it to 48 the Lakers will take him.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2013, 05:18:30 PM »
If they LOVED Vander, they'd trade a future 2nd Round pick for a 2013 2nd Round pick and draft him.

You're probably right about that.

All I was saying is that just because a guy wasn't drafted in the second round it doesn't mean he was trash that nobody wanted. That's all.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2013, 11:54:58 PM »

Why do you think Buzz would have had him play point?
Exactly. Honestly, I think DJO was more talented than Wes coming out of Marquette. And that's not a knock on Wesley at all.

You guys think if Blue asked Buzz if he could be the starting point if he returned that Buzz would turn down the offer? At that point, Buzz isn't going screw over a senior and completely destroy chemistry. He knows Blue out of position on next year's team is waaaaaaay better than no Blue and Derrick Wilson as your starter.

Also, that whole not getting drafted root is silly. How many GMs are going to cut a guy they just drafted a few months earlier for a street FA? Even if Blue is better they don't like making themselves look bad.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2013, 12:28:45 AM »
You guys think if Blue asked Buzz if he could be the starting point if he returned that Buzz would turn down the offer? 

Yes.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2013, 04:12:12 AM »

If DJO was Wesley's size, he would have been a lottery pick.
No he wasn't. Give me a break here! He was a streaky shooter and had a good mid-range game but tunnel vision as far as court vision and cannot set up another guy to save his life which is why he is not in the league nor has a true position now. 

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2013, 04:28:30 AM »

Seriously...why do people say this?  I can't figure it out for the life of me. 

A second round draft choice isn't a high-priced asset, but it *is* an asset.  For a team to draft you in the second round shows some sort of investment in the player.  A free agent signing shows *none.*

The reason Wes was successful is because the entire NBA simply f*cked up and didn't draft him.  He wasn't successful because he could pick and choose where to start his career.
Ah, YES HE WAS!

He was successful because he could pick and choose where and who to start his career with. Are you kidding me. That is exactly what happened. Utah liked him and he fit with what Utah needed. It worked perfectly for him.

In fact, the best thing for Vander would be to actually not be drafted and take a look at any team looking for guard help regardless to position like say the Milwaukee Bucks for instance...and take his chances there.

Wesley happened to be a 6'5 guard with size who did not mind to work and defend and has a high bball IQ that appealed to the Jazz. I am sure his agent knew that.

If you have a smart, savvy, and experienced agent who has some connections and knows the process and the league, it might be very advantageous to not be drafted.

It depends on your representation and if you have a position. Vander does not have a set position or a jump shot so I say no. If he is drafted it will strictly be on MU's past reputation and the draft cred they have had in the past 10 years...plain and simple.

He will be drafted mainly on familiarity or the rep that MU players have garnered over the past 7 years more then the merit of his own play until an MU player totally flops on his face scouts will keep coming back to any of them.

Like I said Vander is the only cat who did not stay all 4 years besides Dwyane Wade. All other players who left him and sniffed the NBA played 4 years. Not that it did them much good but it did for some.

Wesley, Jerel, Dominc, Jae, JB, DJO, Novak, Diener, Lazar, etc none of them left and played for a time on an NBA roster playing under 4 years...he is the only one. It will be a milestone if he is drafted and makes an NBA team Opening Night. 

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2013, 04:30:57 AM »
Sorry to say no. Haven't seen one recent article mentioning a team interested in Blue. Phoenix at 57th is his best chance cause of their strong need for shooting guards. 
He is not a shooting guard, that's the problem. If Lazar did not go off the roller coaster he would be and option there. I do not think Jeff Hornacek would draft a guy like Vander. I say they go for Wolters who is a bit Jeff Horny there...

Da 'Lanche

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2013, 07:32:39 AM »
Vander Blue is popping up on mock drafts in the second round and SI.Com lists him as one of the top 50 prospects for the draft on Thursday....just relaying he is on radar screens of some so-called experts.  I say he gets drafted in the second round by a team that is looking for the potential of a lock-down defender who is athletic, works hard and has upside potential.   Marquette is developing a nice reputation for developing that toughness and it translates into the NBA game.   Butler's rising status, Crowder's first year as an undersized but hardworking rookie and Wes' success give a bit of a halo to a guy like Blue.   This may sound ludicrous, but a team like the Heat who do not need any scoring punch but could have used some fresh, quicker legs than Ray Allen to guard the perimeter and stop the open 3s against the Spurs could reach for a player like Blue to provide some minutes off the bench and let him develop around some great talent.

So, not that outlandish that he gets drafted or at least gets a long look in some camps as a FA.   I voted he sees his dream come true for at least one night and hears his name near the end of round 2.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2013, 07:54:53 AM »
No he wasn't. Give me a break here! He was a streaky shooter and had a good mid-range game but tunnel vision as far as court vision and cannot set up another guy to save his life which is why he is not in the league nor has a true position now. 

Look at the numbers I posted, they were very close as seniors.

DJO is an undersized 2. Just like Jerel. If both were Wesley's size, they would have stuck in the league.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2013, 08:03:31 AM »
I voted "yes" because I think his athleticism will impress somebody enough to take a flier in the second round.  I still don't seem him on an NBA roster in 2013-14.  He's a poor shooter, and I don't see how he translates as a PG.  He'll be a solid defender, but he wasn't a lockdown defender at Marquette (it wasn't like you could put him on a good scorer and say "that guy's done scoring"), so I'm not so sure why we should project him as one in the NBA.  Two things about him, though, are that he is undeniably tough and he is still very young.  He may help someone down the road if they are willing to keep him on the end of the bench or in the D-League for a few years while he develops his game. 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2013, 08:17:34 AM »
I voted "yes" because I think his athleticism will impress somebody enough to take a flier in the second round.  I still don't seem him on an NBA roster in 2013-14.  He's a poor shooter, and I don't see how he translates as a PG.  He'll be a solid defender, but he wasn't a lockdown defender at Marquette (it wasn't like you could put him on a good scorer and say "that guy's done scoring"), so I'm not so sure why we should project him as one in the NBA.  Two things about him, though, are that he is undeniably tough and he is still very young.  He may help someone down the road if they are willing to keep him on the end of the bench or in the D-League for a few years while he develops his game. 

+1

Someone is going to take Vander in the second round.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2013, 08:32:26 AM »
Ah, YES HE WAS!

He was successful because he could pick and choose where and who to start his career with. Are you kidding me. That is exactly what happened. Utah liked him and he fit with what Utah needed. It worked perfectly for him.

After he played on another summer league team previously.  Look, it worked out well for him.  It didn't work out because he wasn't drafted.  If he wouldn't have stuck with the Jazz, he would have stuck somewhere else.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2013, 08:35:42 AM »
You guys think if Blue asked Buzz if he could be the starting point if he returned that Buzz would turn down the offer?

Buzz is going to play him where he thinks it is best for the team.  My guess is that he wouldn't take his starting 2-guard, and best player on the team, and move him to point guard to help develop Vander's NBA resume.  Vander will have to work to develop that in the NBA, Europe or NBDL.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2013, 09:35:27 AM »

Buzz is going to play him where he thinks it is best for the team.  My guess is that he wouldn't take his starting 2-guard, and best player on the team, and move him to point guard to help develop Vander's NBA resume.  Vander will have to work to develop that in the NBA, Europe or NBDL.

+1

Why would Buzz sit Derrick Wilson, Duane Wilson and John Dawson to make room for Vander to play out of position?

Buycks had to play PG out of necessity ... and DJO never play PG that year (meaning not every 2G is also a PG).  Next year's team will not be short PGs.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2013, 10:45:07 AM »
With friends like these, Van's right in knowing he doesn't need enemies.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2013, 10:57:45 AM »
Vander Blue is popping up on mock drafts in the second round and SI.Com lists him as one of the top 50 prospects for the draft on Thursday....just relaying he is on radar screens of some so-called experts.  I say he gets drafted in the second round by a team that is looking for the potential of a lock-down defender who is athletic, works hard and has upside potential.   Marquette is developing a nice reputation for developing that toughness and it translates into the NBA game.   Butler's rising status, Crowder's first year as an undersized but hardworking rookie and Wes' success give a bit of a halo to a guy like Blue.   This may sound ludicrous, but a team like the Heat who do not need any scoring punch but could have used some fresh, quicker legs than Ray Allen to guard the perimeter and stop the open 3s against the Spurs could reach for a player like Blue to provide some minutes off the bench and let him develop around some great talent.

I don't know if it's "ludicrous," but it simply wouldn't have happened.

Ray Allen was out there because the Heat needed somebody to spread the floor and create space for LeBron and/or Wade. If Spoelstra wanted to put an offensive liability on the floor to improve the team's perimeter D, he could have gone with Norris Cole. But he didn't because he wanted the 3-point threat on the floor. And one thing we know for certain that Vander isn't is a 3-point threat. Somehow, even without Vander Blue, when the Heat committed to stop giving Green open 3s, he stopped getting them. They are a great defensive team, and Spoelstra is a very underrated coach.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2013, 11:00:26 AM »
With friends like these, Van's right in knowing he doesn't need enemies.

I don't see anything unfair in this thread.

If the poll was "Do you hope Vander gets drafted?" the response would be overwhelmingly positive.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2013, 11:59:25 AM »
+1

Why would Buzz sit Derrick Wilson, Duane Wilson and John Dawson to make room for Vander to play out of position?

Buycks had to play PG out of necessity ... and DJO never play PG that year (meaning not every 2G is also a PG).  Next year's team will not be short PGs.

Blue at PG>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Derrick and Dawson at PG. You seriously wondering why Buzz would Blue over the two?
It's not like there is ton of experience at the PG spot. You have 2 freshmen and a guy that has limited experience. Blue has some experience himself and I thought he did a better job than Wilson.

And it wouldn't have to be the whole game. Just give Blue the keys to start the game and to be officially listed as their PG and bring in the Wilsons off the bench for a combined 20+ minutes a game at PG. It wouldn't even be hard to justify in playing Blue, Mayo, Wilson, McKay, and Otule together going big with a lot of offense. A ton of height and ability to run the floor. I actually like that lineup (or other combinations with Blue at PG) over giving the keys to a guy that has zero scoring.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2013, 12:09:16 PM »
Blue at PG>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Derrick and Dawson at PG. You seriously wondering why Buzz would Blue over the two?
It's not like there is ton of experience at the PG spot. You have 2 freshmen and a guy that has limited experience. Blue has some experience himself and I thought he did a better job than Wilson.

What I said was that Buzz is going to do what is best for the team.  And I am sure that if Buzz had an idea that moving him over to point might be best for the team, that he told Vander that before he decided to enter the draft.  And it didn't convince him to stay.

And if Buzz thought it wasn't best for the team, then he would have flat out told Vander that.

So my point is that there really isn't all that much to think about here.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2013, 12:21:23 PM »

What I said was that Buzz is going to do what is best for the team.  And I am sure that if Buzz had an idea that moving him over to point might be best for the team, that he told Vander that before he decided to enter the draft.  And it didn't convince him to stay.

And if Buzz thought it wasn't best for the team, then he would have flat out told Vander that.

So my point is that there really isn't all that much to think about here.
Fair enough. It started by someone saying he should have came back for a year and played PG. Someone said Buzz wouldn't do that. I think Blue had no desire to come back and agree it wasn't plausible. I just find it funny that people think Buzz wouldn't accommodate a player of Blue's quality to convince him to come back as a leader of the team and help him reach the next level. Buzz wants to win and is smart enough to realize Blue at PG is better than no Blue.

feedback