[Today at 10:02:26 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[Today at 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Ohio Media Markets Question  (Read 7735 times)

jficke13

• All American
Ohio Media Markets Question
« on: December 13, 2012, 02:06:07 PM »
To those of you who know more about media markets could someone tell me if Northern and Southern Ohio are considered separate media markets?

Someone on some thread said that having Xavier makes Dayton a useless add from a media market standpoint. I lived near Cleveland for a brief time and I didn't feel like I got any Cincy-related media exposure.

🏀

• All American
Re: Ohio Media Markets Question
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 02:07:26 PM »
I have no idea to the answer of this question.

I do know that one quote that has provided me a lifetime of insight is "Nothing good ever comes from Ohio."

Real Chilly Podcast

• Starter
  • whassup marquette whassuuup?
    • Real Chilly Podcast
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 02:08:19 PM »
I believe there are three:  Cleveland/Akron, Columbus, Cinci/Dayton
Listen to the Real Chilly Podcast on SoundCloud, iTunes, or Youtube.

Follow our twitter: @RealChillyPod

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 02:09:14 PM »
Hmm, I'm not saying you're wrong (obviously I have no idea, that's why I asked), but I would have thought Dayton was far enough from Cincy to be separate in some way.

Real Chilly Podcast

• Starter
  • whassup marquette whassuuup?
    • Real Chilly Podcast
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 02:13:33 PM »
I'm sure Dayton has it's own local TV networks, but for national viewership purposes I'm pretty sure it's lumped with Cinci.

Browns games air up north, Bengals games in Dayton/Cinci
Listen to the Real Chilly Podcast on SoundCloud, iTunes, or Youtube.

Follow our twitter: @RealChillyPod

Norm

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 02:18:17 PM »
TV markets in Ohio:

Cleveland/Akron (#18)
Columbus (#32)
Cincinnati (#35)
Dayton (#63)
Toledo (#76)
Youngstown (#110)

Kramerica

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 02:18:22 PM »
I live in Dayton and we have our own TV stations, but Dayton is only about 50 miles from Cincinnati.  Essentially, Dayton and Cincinnati are the same media market.  I want Dayton and Xavier in a new conference for the selfish reason of getting to go to more Marquette games.  

🏀

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 02:18:56 PM »
This may help. It's a football map for this upcoming week.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 02:21:33 PM »
You are in luck...I work with this kind of data for a living.

Ohio has the following TV Designated Marketing Areas (DMAs) as defined by Nielsen:

Cleveland   1,538,000 HHs
Cincinnati      929,700
Columbus      921,400
Dayton         529,800
Toledo          447,600
Youngstown  269,700
Lima              40,300

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 02:23:38 PM »
Try this link.
http://www.tvb.org/measurement/131627

Then click the TV Household DMA Ranks link to a PDF.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 02:26:32 PM »
I actually kind of had in my head that Dayton was farther north, at least north of Columbus. If they're that close I can see how they're lumped in together.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 02:27:16 PM »
TV markets in Ohio:

Cleveland/Akron (#18)
Columbus (#32)
Cincinnati (#35)
Dayton (#63)
Toledo (#76)
Youngstown (#110)

Do, does adding Xavier (Cincinnati) do enough to penetrate Dayton?  If yes, no need to be redundant and the Richmond market is as good an add.  If no, Dayton is an ok fit.    

Here's the cute list btw: http://www.sportstvjobs.com/resources/local-tv-market-sizes-dma.html  

Also, New Orleans is #51...kind of makes the Tulane addition look even more silly.

eroc830

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 03:24:17 PM »
I lived in Dayton for a year and was impressed at how big of a college basketball town it was.  Thats why the First Four is there every year, they fill up the building.  I agree with Kramerica about the TV market that it could be lumped into Cincy despite having its own local TV news.  Dayton may not be a true distinct TV market but does have a great college basketball following.  So, while adding Dayton would not bring in a huge market, it would certinly bring in good college basketball fans.     

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 03:39:52 PM »
I lived in Dayton for a year and was impressed at how big of a college basketball town it was.  Thats why the First Four is there every year, they fill up the building.  I agree with Kramerica about the TV market that it could be lumped into Cincy despite having its own local TV news.  Dayton may not be a true distinct TV market but does have a great college basketball following.  So, while adding Dayton would not bring in a huge market, it would certinly bring in good college basketball fans.     

That is one thing I didn't think of. I realize the First Four are probably the least watched games of the tourney, but with the addition of 12-seeds to that mix their is more value to those games. Having the announcers say constantly over a 2-day span to open the NCAAs that they are broadcasting from Dayton, home of the NBE's Dayton Flyers is a positive for the league.

It's not massive, it may not even be enough to get them in ahead of schools like SLU or Creighton, but it is a point in their favor.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 04:03:16 PM »
You are in luck...I work with this kind of data for a living.

Ohio has the following TV Designated Marketing Areas (DMAs) as defined by Nielsen:

Cleveland   1,538,000 HHs
Cincinnati      929,700
Columbus      921,400
Dayton         529,800
Toledo          447,600
Youngstown  269,700
Lima              40,300

This clinches it. I want the Lima U. Beans in our new conference!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, 04:08:42 PM »
Matchups over markets.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, 04:09:50 PM »
TV markets in Ohio:

Cleveland/Akron (#18)
Columbus (#32)
Cincinnati (#35)
Dayton (#63)
Toledo (#76)
Youngstown (#110)

You'll get very little viewership of whatver-this-conference-is-called from Columbus. It lives/breathes/is-populated-by OSU inbreds.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 04:25:22 PM »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2012, 06:26:38 PM »
TV markets in Ohio:

Cleveland/Akron (#18)
Columbus (#32)
Cincinnati (#35)
Dayton (#63)
Toledo (#76)
Youngstown (#110)

Lima is also a market

the eagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2012, 06:36:58 PM »
Cleveland/Akron guy here.  It's all Ohio State here.  Unless you have children/friends/family at other in state schools, they are not really followed around here.  In terms of bball, outside of OSU, you hear about Xavier once in a while.  For as large as Cleveland/Akron is, there really are no big time schools in this area regarding college sports (Akron, Kent State, Cleveland State, Youngstown St. (reaching)).  The majority of the other "larger" schools in the state fit similar to these few as well (MAC schools).  Columbus may be two hours away, but Cleveland/Akron are OSU homers.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2012, 06:49:02 PM »
Cleveland/Akron guy here.  It's all Ohio State here.  Unless you have children/friends/family at other in state schools, they are not really followed around here.  In terms of bball, outside of OSU, you hear about Xavier once in a while.  For as large as Cleveland/Akron is, there really are no big time schools in this area regarding college sports (Akron, Kent State, Cleveland State, Youngstown St. (reaching)).  The majority of the other "larger" schools in the state fit similar to these few as well (MAC schools).  Columbus may be two hours away, but Cleveland/Akron are OSU homers.

I've always wondered what it would take to get Cleveland State elevated to the point where they were a major basketball school.  Could being in a top league lift their boat, so to speak?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

the eagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2012, 07:09:25 PM »
I've always wondered what it would take to get Cleveland State elevated to the point where they were a major basketball school.  Could being in a top league lift their boat, so to speak?

I don't see it, but that's my opinion.  It's a big commuter school.  People get excited when CSU wins the one big game they win every year on a Saturday, but by Monday, people have forgotten.  I don't think the consist attention to the athletic program will ever happen in the foreseen future.  Again, my opinion.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2012, 12:07:56 PM »
Not completely directly relevant, but lived near Mansfield for 3 months a few years back (went to the game at WV the last week of '09, ugh).

Order of sports importance in Mansfield (approximately halfway between Columbus and Cleveland).
1. Ohio State football
2. Ohio State football
3. Ohio State football
4. Cavs (LeBron's last year, I would assume would be a lot lower now)
5. Ohio State football
6. Ohio State football
7. Indians
8. Browns
9. Ohio State basketball
10. Bluejackets

Summary - No one in Columbus or north and east cares about college basketball at tOSU, let alone college basketball anywhere else in the state. It's why I always liked being in a league with UC. They're in a similar spot to MU.
GO WARRIORS!

dayton flyers

• Walk-On
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2012, 01:06:56 PM »

I'm a new poster, I just joined the board.  I grew up in Dayton and now live in Cincinnati.

I don't think CSU basketball is big in Cleveland due to the Cavs.  CSU is also in the Horizon League, so that is a bit of drawback.  In a similar way, I think Butler doesn't draw as well as they should, considering their recent success, because of the Pacers.

dayton flyers

• Walk-On
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2012, 01:31:04 PM »
Dayton is growing to the south, and Cincinnati is growing to the north.  Downtown Dayton is about 60 miles north of downtown Cincinnati, it's about an hour drive.  The Dayton/Cincinnati area is sort of one big metropolitan area, but at the same time, Dayton has its own network affiliates(ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX), its own newspapers, radio stations, etc., so it is its own market.

If you asked anybody from around here, or that has ever lived here, I think they would say that Dayton is its own separate and distinct market.

College basketball is big in Dayton.  The Flyers are a big draw.  Dayton has been in the top 35 in national attendance ever since the UD Arena opened for the 1969-1970 season.  Dayton averages about 12,500/game.

For selfish reasons, I'd like to see Dayton be picked to join the new conference.

Honestly, I think the Dayton area would deliver more tv viewers than either the Cincinnati area(Xavier fans)or the Indy area(Butler fans).  And I'm not just saying that because I'm a Dayton fan.  I also have some friends that are Xavier fans, and I go to Xavier games quite frequently.

Dayton outdraws both X(average a little over 10,000/game)and Butler(averages around 7,000/game), and the intensity/fervor of the Dayton fan base IMO is significantly greater than the intensity/fervor of the X or Butler fan bases.  I've been to games at all 3 schools.

If you asked X and Butler fans who has the biggest/most fervid fan base of the 3 schools, I think they would honestly say UD has the biggest/most fervid fan base.  More Dayton fans show up in Cincinnati to watch Dayton play X than any other opponent X plays, including Cincinnati.  Dayton fans also travel very well.  Mike DeCourcy, of the Sporting News, called Dayton's fans the most loyal fan base in the country per this article:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/daytonflyers/entries//2012/12/

"But DeCourcy is familiar with the Flyers and their drawing power and believes they should be the second or third choice of the new league.

“I’ve been everywhere, and I really firmly believe they have the most loyal fans in American sports,” he said. “I was there covering Memphis in the mid-1990s when the Flyers won 10 games (combined) in two years, and the building was still close to full. I’ve never seen anything like that before or since.”

But, I do understand the reluctance to add UD.  Dayton has not performed as well as a lot of its fans would have liked.  But, we have a new coach, Archie Miller, and IMO UD is on the rise.  IMO, UD greatly underachieved under former coach Brian Gregory, who is now at Georgia Tech.

IMO, the new conference would make a very smart move adding UD.  Again, IMO UD is on the rise, and UD will deliver a lot of tv viewers and bring with it a rabid fan base.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 01:38:16 PM by dayton flyers »