[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[May 05, 2024, 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Still no update on Otule?  (Read 8279 times)

Windyplayer

• All American
Still no update on Otule?
« on: December 08, 2011, 11:11:35 AM »
I'm a little upset by the lack of communication to the fan base. I understand if there is no definitive answer yet, but at least give Marquette Nation an update on where they are. Are they getting a second opinion, is it difficult to diagnose at this point, is the MRI machine malfunctioning?

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: Still no update on Otule?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 11:13:20 AM »
On the other board, Dodds said the test was done yesterday afternoon and the results will be available today.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 11:15:42 AM »
On the other board, Dodds said the test was done yesterday afternoon and the results will be available today.
Got it. Thanks.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 11:16:26 AM »
I heard they were going to have to amputate the leg from the knee down...  :(

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 11:17:43 AM »
So...then he's probably out until the start of conference games. Damn it.

National Champs

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 11:18:23 AM »

Otule with a pegleg and a glass eye? All he'll need is a parrot and some spiced rum.
We Are Elite

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 11:19:26 AM »
I'm always curious.   Where does the line get drawn re: HIPPA?    We never officially knew what McMorrow's health issue was.    If CO requests that they not give specifics, are we going to have to be satisfied with "out for season" or "day to day"?    Or, since it happened during the game and the fact that he is injured is public knowledge, MU has carte blanche to declare the severity of the injury?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 11:20:43 AM »
maybe he'll tweet the MRI a la arian foster  ;)

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 11:21:09 AM »
Otule with a pegleg and a glass eye? All he'll need is a parrot and some spiced rum.
Really?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 11:21:13 AM »
So...then he's probably out until the start of conference games. Damn it.

Word on the street is that he is going down to the Dominican Republic after the amputation to get some HGH treatments. Vanderbilt is not out of the question yet.

One word. Intimidation.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 11:21:27 AM »
I heard they were going to do a knee transplant between Otule and Mbakwe.

THEultimateWARRIOR

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 11:22:42 AM »
+1 hahahahahahha

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 11:23:02 AM »
I'm always curious.   Where does the line get drawn re: HIPPA?    We never officially knew what McMorrow's health issue was.    If CO requests that they not give specifics, are we going to have to be satisfied with "out for season" or "day to day"?    Or, since it happened during the game and the fact that he is injured is public knowledge, MU has carte blanche to declare the severity of the injury?

The nfl is required to reveal injuries so it can't be against HIPPA.

National Champs

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 11:26:24 AM »
I don't know but I have a good feeling that it isn't a season ending injury. Absolutely no grounds for my assumption beyond a gut feeling and wishful thinking though. Regardless, I don't see him playing Vandy. Does anyone know how tentative Festus Ezeli's return schedule is? Will he be able to play, but not 100% or are we going to have to deal with a fully recovered big?
We Are Elite

🏀

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2011, 11:28:05 AM »
I don't know but I have a good feeling that it isn't a season ending injury. Absolutely no grounds for my assumption beyond a gut feeling and wishful thinking though. Regardless, I don't see him playing Vandy. Does anyone know how tentative Festus Ezeli's return schedule is? Will he be able to play, but not 100% or are we going to have to deal with a fully recovered big?

I believe he played last night.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2011, 11:29:21 AM »
I believe he played last night.

Scored 15 in 21 minutes.

National Champs

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2011, 11:30:56 AM »
Scored 15 in 21 minutes.

Shoot, I was hoping he would be a bit sluggish.
We Are Elite

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2011, 11:36:44 AM »

Likely the players agreed to release in language of the CBA or the standard player contract.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2011, 11:37:47 AM »
I'm always curious.   Where does the line get drawn re: HIPPA?    We never officially knew what McMorrow's health issue was.    If CO requests that they not give specifics, are we going to have to be satisfied with "out for season" or "day to day"?    Or, since it happened during the game and the fact that he is injured is public knowledge, MU has carte blanche to declare the severity of the injury?

Nope.  CO can refuse to have the information released unless he gave away that right as part of his scholarship agreement.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2011, 11:42:27 AM »

Started to write a note - NFL likely is violating HIPAA unless authorized by the player to release info...

Good article on NFL injury disclosure:  http://views.washingtonpost.com/theleague/panelists/2009/09/mangini-favre-tannenbaum-injury-reports-nfl-gardner.html

NCAA is also covered by FERPA - can't release unless authorized by the student-athlete.

Good article on NCAA injury disclosure:  http://views.washingtonpost.com/theleague/panelists/2009/09/mangini-favre-tannenbaum-injury-reports-nfl-gardner.html]http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/NCAANewsArchive/2003/Association-wide/privacy%2Brules%2Baffect%2Bexchange%2Bof%2Bstudent-athlete%2Bmedical%2Brecords%2B-%2B3-3-03.html]http://views.washingtonpost.com/theleague/panelists/2009/09/mangini-favre-tannenbaum-injury-reports-nfl-gardner.html

Why is it Marquette's interest to release CO's injury status - other than to the demands of overzealous fans...

« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 11:48:27 AM by madtownwarrior »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2011, 11:46:10 AM »
Vegas cares, too.  My expectations for the rest of the season rest on whether CO returns.   If he does, our ceiling is cathedral high.   If not, we can do well and win lots of games, but I don't think we are a true contender. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2011, 11:53:54 AM »

Nope.  CO can refuse to have the information released unless he gave away that right as part of his scholarship agreement.

HIPPA does not allow for the disclosure of health related information without consent of the party involved.  So, technically, its not that Otule can refuse, its that he has to agree to the disclosure.  Its seems likely that he will, if he didn't already agree to as a part of his scholarship agreement, then just as a ways to keep from answering constant questions on campus.

An important difference with Liam McMorrow was that McMorrow's issue was defined as an illness, rather than as an injury.  Privacy concerns would differ in those two situations, and the scholarship agreement, if it addresses this issue at all, could very well treat them differently.  And a student athlete's willingness to share could definitely be different in those two situations, as well.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

APieperFan3

• Team Captain
  • We Are Marquette
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2011, 12:55:15 PM »
The nfl is required to reveal injuries because of fantasy football

Fixed.
The "average fan" is an idiot.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2011, 01:04:29 PM »
It's taking this long only because MU wants it to take this long for whatever reason. (Hoping that reason isn't bad news, of course!) Results of an MRI are available within minutes, but college and pro teams try to convince media and fans it's a 48-hour turnaround.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2011, 01:05:26 PM »
The longer this takes, the more it makes me nervous. You'd think if it were just a little MCL sprain there would have been an announcement. This delay makes me think they are getting into treatment options, etc. for a more significant injury. I hope I'm way off.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2011, 01:20:53 PM »
Judging from the comments on his Facebook page it's not good news  :'(

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2011, 01:22:18 PM »
Quote from: esotericmindguy on Today at 11:23:02 AM
The nfl is required to reveal injuries because of fantasy football

Fixed.

It's actually because of Vegas/gambling. Fantasy football came later.

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2011, 01:24:56 PM »
Judging from the comments on his Facebook page it's not good news  :'(

Care to elaborate?

JD

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2011, 01:25:56 PM »
Prepare for the worst. :'(
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2011, 01:29:25 PM »
His brother says "Ahh man, not again." This is from last night, after when the MRI would take place. Then says "We'll get through this one, just like last time."

Day of silence from MU allows Otule to talk with all his family members, collect thoughts, decide next course of action.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2011, 01:56:43 PM »
His brother says "Ahh man, not again." This is from last night, after when the MRI would take place. Then says "We'll get through this one, just like last time."

Day of silence from MU allows Otule to talk with all his family members, collect thoughts, decide next course of action.

Could be they forgot St. Nick day again.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2011, 01:57:48 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/vXuCeZyPfmM&amp;fs=1&amp;source=uds" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/vXuCeZyPfmM&amp;fs=1&amp;source=uds</a>

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2011, 02:00:30 PM »
Got this from the Scout board.  Someone named Matt Otule posted this to CO's FB wall.

"Ahh man not again. Why does bad things happen to good people. I love you Chris Otule. We'll get through this one, just like last time. God has a plan, I promise."

Not good.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2011, 02:01:06 PM »
In response to the facebook post, theIWB on the other board said:

I contacted an inside source a little bit ago and there is still no word.....

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2011, 02:04:27 PM »

Likely the players Vegas  agreed to demanded release in language of the CBA or the standard player contract.

fixed.

PVMagic

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2011, 02:05:22 PM »
Still holding out hope... "not again" could mean another injury and he's out a month, which would still be quite a letdown for a kid who's had a history.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2011, 02:09:25 PM »
Got this from the Scout board.  Someone named Matt Otule posted this to CO's FB wall.

"Ahh man not again. Why does bad things happen to good people. I love you Chris Otule. We'll get through this one, just like last time. God has a plan, I promise."

Not good.

Not going to panic...yet. As TT said, IWB just said minutes ago that there's still no word. That post on his FB page was from 7:00 last night. Expecting bad news, but still hoping for the best...or anything that has him back at 100% by the second week of March.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2011, 02:14:25 PM »
Still holding out hope... "not again" could mean another injury and he's out a month, which would still be quite a letdown for a kid who's had a history.

Could mean his girl friend dumped him ... come on people, let's quit with the Facebook detectives.  You may be right to interpret it in the worst possible way, but then again, you may not.  Let it play out before leaping to judgements.

Doris Burkes Thong

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2011, 02:18:48 PM »
Unfortunately, I think this is a season ending injury...the vibes just look like they're pointing in that direction. And if that's the case it will be a big downer for me because I'm part of the crowd that thinks he is a major factor to our success. And of course the other season ending injuries we've experienced with Mbakwe, James, and McNeal will just make me wonder "what if" we had a healthy Chris Otule just like I did with the aforementioned players.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2011, 02:19:33 PM »
From MU Basketball Twitter:

"#mubb center Chris Otule has an ACL injury. Still to be determined how long he will be out"

🏀

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2011, 02:20:31 PM »
Good, he'll be back.

RyanConroy

« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2011, 02:24:16 PM »
Sounds like he's still missing AT LEAST a month, and probably more.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2011, 02:25:41 PM »
From MU Basketball Twitter:

"#mubb center Chris Otule has an ACL injury. Still to be determined how long he will be out"
Still does not tell us anything.  Tear, strain, ...  When I hear ACL, though, I admittedly think the worst.  Hopefully we hear a time schedule or whether or not surgery is required, soon.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2011, 02:27:30 PM »
Sounds like he's still missing AT LEAST a month, and probably more.

My honest hope is that this only affects seeding. I just pray he's back by mid-February. This may cost us a chance at a Big East title and #1 or #2 seed, but when we will really need him is in March. Give him 2 weeks of February to get healthy and then have him back in game shape for the Big East tournament and we can still contend for a tourney title and the Final Four.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

mu2010km

• Walk-On
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2011, 08:35:22 AM »
So it's an ACL injury.....

Sprain? -- 2 weeks rest (ready for Big East)
Tear? -- Out for season

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2011, 08:36:37 AM »
Still does not tell us anything.  Tear, strain, ...  When I hear ACL, though, I admittedly think the worst.  Hopefully we hear a time schedule or whether or not surgery is required, soon.

My educated guess is that if it was a tear and he required surgery, he would have already had it.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2011, 09:09:36 AM »
My educated guess is that if it was a tear and he required surgery, he would have already had it.
They probably are waiting for the swelling to subside before diagnosing is conclusive.  MRI's often don't show much until 1-2 weeks after the injury.  Just guessing.

JD

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2011, 09:21:30 AM »
I spoke with Chris last night, and he doesn't even know how long.  So we can't jump to any timeframes quite yet.
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2011, 09:26:29 AM »

Nah, there is usually a waiting period... at least a couple of weeks, often times more.  Difficult to operate on a leg that is all swollen and jacked up around where the docs need to get to... only reason to push for a faster surgery is to, in theory, get back quicker.

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2011, 07:37:45 PM »
I spoke with Chris last night, and he doesn't even know how long.  So we can't jump to any timeframes quite yet.

As you spoke to him, what is the injury?  Parital tear?  Minor tear?  No tear?
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.