[Today at 08:05:40 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[Today at 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Gardner  (Read 14580 times)

thowell

• Walk-On
Gardner
« on: July 10, 2010, 05:20:00 PM »

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
Re: Gardner
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 12:40:01 AM »
Wow, what was that, EIGHT and-ones and converted the free throw on the first seven.  Nothing but net except for two scraping the front rim.  Quick feet and nice hands both distributing and catching etc.

Granted, the other team had noone who could match his size, so you have to discount him overpowering everybody.
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 01:37:47 AM »
King's Fork looked like Mini-Marquette with their ball movement in those clips!
Gardner getting in on the action too! Good news!

I hope Reggie, et al, steal the ball weakside from him to teach him a lesson on protecting the ball and moving swiftly on the block.

EDIT: I love this picture from the Petersburg Elite site (Davante's AAU team):

Caption reads: Davante SHATTERS BACKBOARD IN PITTSBURGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 01:40:42 AM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 04:12:10 PM »
Loving the way he can pass the ball!

MarkCharles

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 09:00:57 PM »
Check out the video of Reggie Smith linked on the side of the Gardner video. This kid can fly. I'm seeing why he keeps getting compared to Dominic.

Gardner seems like a nice player. I like the way he moves. He certainly doesn't carry himself like a 290 pounder.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 12:03:13 PM »

EDIT: I love this picture from the Petersburg Elite site (Davante's AAU team):

It's great to know that the team has someone with this capability for those games when we've run out of timeouts!
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 12:45:59 PM »
I'm not suggesting he is as good (yet, anyway), but he does look good around the basket...Reminds me a DeJuan Blair. If he can play with the effort and tenacity Buzz's teams have become known for, he could  be a real bitch.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 12:50:50 PM »
I'm not suggesting he is as good (yet, anyway), but he does look good around the basket...Reminds me a DeJuan Blair. If he can play with the effort and tenacity Buzz's teams have become known for, he could  be a real bitch.

Or more hopefully, opposing centers could be his bitches.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 01:07:13 PM »
Guy has some obvious skills and size.  But, as he showed at the MKE Pro-Am on Saturday, he has a lot of work to get himself in shape to play any kind of solid minutes.  Could be a serious candidate for a redshirt to get better conditioned...?

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 01:30:38 PM »
Guy has some obvious skills and size.  But, as he showed at the MKE Pro-Am on Saturday, he has a lot of work to get himself in shape to play any kind of solid minutes.  Could be a serious candidate for a redshirt to get better conditioned...?

With 3-4 months before practice even starts, I have to believe that process is already underway, and (not having seen him), I see no reason to believe he can't make serious progress in that area before the season even starts.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 01:57:17 PM »
If he commits to what Todd Smith tells him, he will be fine.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 02:13:46 PM »
He's not close to Dejuan Blair besides the girth factor.   No explosion whatsoever.   Robert Jackson-like game.  Good touch around rim but I honestly don't see his style fitting in with the length and quickness on our roster.

OhioGoldenEagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 02:18:57 PM »
He's not close to Dejuan Blair besides the girth factor.   No explosion whatsoever.   Robert Jackson-like game.  Good touch around rim but I honestly don't see his style fitting in with the length and quickness on our roster.

I disagree here.  Not only do I think he can be a force on the boards, which helps any team regardless of their style of play, I think he can actually be a "change of pace" guy on the offensive side of the ball.  Dump it in to him and let him back down his opponent for a paint shot or potential kick out to one of our sharpshooters.  I think he is a great addition!

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 10:48:11 PM »
No explosion whatsoever.   Robert Jackson-like game. 

Didn't RJax help us get to the final four?  Maybe explosiveness is overrated.

mikem91288

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 07:10:25 AM »
Man I love Jackson, if Devontae was the next RJax that might just be what we need to get back to the final four.
Warrior in the class of 2011.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2010, 07:14:00 AM »
He is big and strong, has good hands and good feet.    Those are great building blocks.    The conditioning, the explosion, will come in time if he works hard enough.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2010, 07:17:20 AM »
Game is similar but definitely not as good as RJax. 

He's a frosh so we'll see if he can get his conditioning in order.

His style doesn't fit with a Buzz roster of fast long guys than maybe R Jax did in a Crean roster with Novak, Diener, Todd Townsend, etc. 

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2010, 07:19:11 AM »
Or more hopefully, opposing centers could be his bitches.

Yes, stated much better.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2010, 08:29:02 AM »
You do not necessarily need size for every game. You need size to stop the team that has a bigman they can keep dumping inside to. NC St games come to mind here. We were up in the first half. In the second half NC ST just kept taking right to the basket and Butler was not big enough to stop it. Having Otule and Gardner in that game last year would have made a difference.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2010, 08:47:52 AM »

His style doesn't fit with a Buzz roster of fast long guys than maybe R Jax did in a Crean roster with Novak, Diener, Todd Townsend, etc. 

Keep in mind we saw Robert Jackson as a 5th year senior, and Davante is not even a first-year freshman yet.  As for style, most possesions won't result in a fast break lay-up, and even as athletic as the team is - we will have to run half court stuff.  If we can dump down, and have an effective threat - that will be a good option to have.  I think Buzz loves athletic, long guys for defensive purposes, more so than offensive..plus the NBA game is going the way of the long athletic type too..but that doesn't mean guys like DeJuan Blair or guys with Gardner's build can't be successful at this level or the next..even when flanked by the greyhounds..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2010, 09:48:05 AM »
As a frosh, Robert Jackson averaged 13.1 minutes and about 6 points and 4 boards. He then averaged 13.2ppg, 7.3rpg and shot 56.6% from the floor over his final 3 college seasons.

If Gardner becomes even a poor man's version of Robert Jackson, MU fans should be ecstatic.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2010, 09:50:32 AM »
Gardner has a better chance of not being with the team next year then having R Jax's career.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2010, 10:09:39 AM »

Fast breaks often start with a bigman getting the rebound and passing the ball upcourt. Very few bigmen lead a fast break.

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2010, 10:12:37 AM »
He has great skill, Soft hands, Soft Touch, real good passer and dribbler for 4-5.  He has to be one of our best FT shooter's on the team already.  He has dropped 50lbs in the last year.  I think it will take a year to get into the kind of shape he will need to be in too contribute, and if he works hard with Todd (seems to be one of the toughest S&C coach's) I think he has a real chance to surprise in his Soph year.  Its much easier to teach S&C then it is dribbling, shooting, passing, Hands and Touch.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2010, 10:20:33 AM »
Here is hoping that Gardner becomes a stud by his Soph year.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

feedback