[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[May 05, 2024, 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Brownwell mentioned for Xavier gig  (Read 9524 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks

Nukem2

• All American
Re: Brownwell mentioned for Xavier gig
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 10:04:11 AM »
Could be assistant Chris Mack according to other reports.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 10:22:38 AM »
Why go from an A10 school to another A10 school? Then again, several of those who worked for Crean made lateral moves.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

sailwi

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 10:34:18 AM »
I thought Brownwell was at Wright St which is Horizon not A 10.

muPARTY

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 11:41:21 AM »
not trying to start anything...
but he was my pick (hope) to fill the job here.

done some great things with a program that wasn't anything until he arrived.
"Brownell is 64-33 in three WSU seasons, leading the team to three straight 20-win seasons"  plus he had regular season and conference tourney championship in '06.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 11:56:48 AM »
I thought Brownwell was at Wright St which is Horizon not A 10.

You are right, Bro. First mistake this year.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 04:24:14 PM »
Johnny Wolf would excel as head coach there  ;)

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 04:29:59 PM »
not trying to start anything...
but he was my pick (hope) to fill the job here.

done some great things with a program that wasn't anything until he arrived.
"Brownell is 64-33 in three WSU seasons, leading the team to three straight 20-win seasons"  plus he had regular season and conference tourney championship in '06.

I wanted Brownell, too...at least as a fallback to Tony Bennett. I'm surprised Xavier hasn't hired their coach already. Aren't schools using our search process as a "Best Practice" example?

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 05:20:17 PM »
I wanted Brownell, too...at least as a fallback to Tony Bennett. I'm surprised Xavier hasn't hired their coach already. Aren't schools using our search process as a "Best Practice" example?

How did your boy Bennett do this year?  How has his recruiting been since Dick left?

I liked Brownell too but thought Buzz was the better choice due to his recruiting prowess, something MU needed to reach elite level (and which looks like he's done a pretty good job at so far). 

It seems like there are some on this board who will find a reason to piss and moan no matter what MU does.  It's funny that these same posters will say they are some of the biggest MU supporters around, yet one would have to search near and far to find a positive post they have ever made on this board.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 05:44:16 PM »

It seems like there are some on this board who will find a reason to piss and moan no matter what MU does.  It's funny that these same posters will say they are some of the biggest MU supporters around, yet one would have to search near and far to find a positive post they have ever made on this board.

The question would probably be, how would Bennett have done with this past MU team?  We'll never know but I'd bet the house he and most other DI coaches would have taken them to the NCAAs.  But we'll never know.  (Is that a cut on Buzz....nope, but some people will say it is.  Instead, it's the fact of the matter).

Who in particular are you referencing in your post?  It seems to me that more than a few people have been lumped in as anti-Buzz when they shouldn't be.  Because someone questions how someone was hired or whether or not they should use a timeout or a different substitution pattern, doesn't mean they are anti-buzz. 

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 05:53:40 PM »
The question would probably be, how would Bennett have done with this past MU team?  We'll never know but I'd bet the house he and most other DI coaches would have taken them to the NCAAs.  But we'll never know.  (Is that a cut on Buzz....nope, but some people will say it is.  Instead, it's the fact of the matter).

Who in particular are you referencing in your post?  It seems to me that more than a few people have been lumped in as anti-Buzz when they shouldn't be.  Because someone questions how someone was hired or whether or not they should use a timeout or a different substitution pattern, doesn't mean they are anti-buzz. 

I agree on the whole first paragraph.  The reason I'm encouraged by Buzz is his recruiting (although its easier to get good recruits when there is a lot of pt available) and his no-nonsense personality.  Its tough to say whether he has or has not been a good hire thus far but I like what I see up to this point.

I'm not going to call people out on an internet forum but there are some people (you not included) that never have a good thing to say about MU.  I realize some people don't like Buzz, don't think he was a good hire, or question his coaching tactics and I'm all for making a good arguement/debating these topics; but for the most part these people are still objective and will give compliments when due.  There are some "fans", however, whose only contribution to the board are digs at MU, its current coach, its former coach, the nickname fiasco, the administration...etc.  I'm all for being an objective fan, but it gets annoying that some posters bring up the same negative crap time and time again.

Joe Thompson

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 06:54:13 PM »
How did your boy Bennett do this year?  How has his recruiting been since Dick left?

They swept top 15 Arizona State. Beat UCLA and Arizona in the last month of season. Also beat NCAA Tournament team Mississippi State.

Also believe Wazzu had two all-Freshman selections.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 07:03:03 PM »
I agree on the whole first paragraph.  The reason I'm encouraged by Buzz is his recruiting (although its easier to get good recruits when there is a lot of pt available) and his no-nonsense personality.  Its tough to say whether he has or has not been a good hire thus far but I like what I see up to this point.

I'm not going to call people out on an internet forum but there are some people (you not included) that never have a good thing to say about MU.  I realize some people don't like Buzz, don't think he was a good hire, or question his coaching tactics and I'm all for making a good arguement/debating these topics; but for the most part these people are still objective and will give compliments when due.  There are some "fans", however, whose only contribution to the board are digs at MU, its current coach, its former coach, the nickname fiasco, the administration...etc.  I'm all for being an objective fan, but it gets annoying that some posters bring up the same negative crap time and time again.

Fair enough....I've been called anti-Buzz by a few people here which I find unfair.  I like the guy, thought he did a standup job this past season, seems like a high quality person, he's a family guy, honest (almost too honest), and a basketball junkie.  He wouldn't have been my first choice as a hire or even my top 6 but he's the guy and I want him to do well.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 07:49:58 PM »
They swept top 15 Arizona State. Beat UCLA and Arizona in the last month of season. Also beat NCAA Tournament team Mississippi State.

Or you could say....

Went 16-14 in the regular season, had a losing conference record  (8-10), and lost their first NIT game.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 08:05:03 PM »
good coaching at the collge level is 90% recruitng.  Hoop Scoop has the Mu recruitng class, before the DJO signing, as the #2 class in the country.  How many of the other candidates would have done that...the answer is none!!  Buzz was the best man for the job.  People also seem to forget he had this team at 22-2 without a legit BE player over 6'5"!!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 08:19:35 PM »
Also believe Wazzu had two all-Freshman selections.

One of whom somehow made the team averaging 4.4 ppg and 4.0 rpg.
Must have been a real bad year for freshmen in the Pac 10.

One could say that Washington State had a losing Pac 10 record and a one-and-done in the NIT while starting four seniors and a junior as the sixth man.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2009, 10:56:50 PM »
Or you could say....

Went 16-14 in the regular season, had a losing conference record  (8-10), and lost their first NIT game.

+1
2008-2009: Washington State finished 314th out of 330 teams in total offense with two all-freshman selections (59.2 ppg)!  Can you imagine the Wisky fans not wanting Bennett to replace Bo when he retires because Bennett's offense is too boring???
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2009, 07:06:12 AM »
The reason I'm encouraged by Buzz is his recruiting

I'm sorry, but I'm not encouraged by the fact that half our roster next year are going to be junior college transfers. They might be great players...and I hope they are...but I don't care what anybody says, that's not representative of Marquette University. Somehow, I don't think Tony Bennett or Brownell would have gone that route. What are some of you guys willing to sacrifice to win 10 games in the Big East and lose in the 1st or 2nd round of the NCAA?

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2009, 07:43:07 AM »
I'm sorry, but I'm not encouraged by the fact that half our roster next year are going to be junior college transfers. They might be great players...and I hope they are...but I don't care what anybody says, that's not representative of Marquette University. Somehow, I don't think Tony Bennett or Brownell would have gone that route. What are some of you guys willing to sacrifice to win 10 games in the Big East and lose in the 1st or 2nd round of the NCAA?

What, exactly does MU "sacrifice" by having Buycks & DJO on the roster just because they came from JUCO?  What did MU "sacrifice" with Butler and Fulce on the team last year?  Please be specific, as you are coming across as a raging elitist.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2009, 07:46:08 AM »

So was Wade as a recruit not representative of Marquette because he was a partial qualifier??

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2009, 07:53:11 AM »

I have to admit that on the surface I'm inclined to agree.

However, when I looked a little deeper, I think I've realized what is going on. By taking on several Juco players, Buzz was not only ale to immediately infuse some talent into the program, but also balance out the classes.

As it stands now, MU will have 4 seniors graduating, plus Mbakwe's scholarship, plus 1 probable transfer. Therefore, if Buzz did not take any Junior College players, he'd be bringing in 6 frosh. That would create a very unbalanced roster for not only this season, but for 4 seasons (even if 1 player redshirted)

Therefore, I'm on board with what Buzz has done. It's the best option given the situation MU is in. Also, I'm confident in MU's ability to graduate players... JUCO or not.

I guess the question for you is, if you don't like MU having so many JUCO players, what alternative option does MU have?

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2009, 08:31:40 AM »
So was Wade as a recruit not representative of Marquette because he was a partial qualifier??

Good call. All junior college players and questionable student athletes are exactly like Wade and should be admitted to Marquette.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2009, 08:54:36 AM »
Good call. All junior college players and questionable student athletes are exactly like Wade and should be admitted to Marquette.

Answer the question, please.
How is Jimmy Butler not reprewsentative of Marquette University?
How is Joe Fulce not representative of Marquette University?

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2009, 09:33:40 AM »
Jimmy Butler is a fine representative. Like him a lot. Joseph Fulce is a fine representative. Also, seemingly a fine young man.

Having a basketball team made up of 5 or 6 junior college transfers is not representative. Is that so difficult to understand?

Can somebody with access those kind of numbers come up with a list of schools with 5 or more junior college transfers on their roster? I'd be interested to see what kind of company we're keeping in that regard. 

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2009, 09:46:13 AM »

Do you have a crystal ball?  How do you know that none of these guys are going to graduate?  That none of these guys will be great embassadors of the University?  I love the quick move to judge these guys and Buzz's read on people.

I do know that if we wait around and land a few poor prospects that can't play (But can be here for 4 years) and we end up with 2 BEAST wins and a first round exit in the NIT that this board would be on fire.

Damned if do, damned if we don't.