[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:22:34 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 03, 2024, 01:20:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Mayo article in the JS  (Read 15074 times)

willie warrior

• All American
Re: Mayo article in the JS
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2014, 02:05:05 PM »

Oh....then it wasn't irony since I don't take discussions off topic like I was referring to.

And the fact that you think I have an "unceasing defense of Wilson" shows that you also have a reading problem.

Good luck to you.
Sultan, your numerous posts defending Wilson show that you have an "unceasing defense". We all just wish the lock down elite defender was so unceasing, but sheesh, "Archie just wore him down."
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2014, 02:30:44 PM »

Oh....then it wasn't irony since I don't take discussions off topic like I was referring to.

And the fact that you think I have an "unceasing defense of Wilson" shows that you also have a reading problem.

Good luck to you.
It's called abstracting. You should try it some day. I'm not going to argue the semantics of every one of your posts. You're a Wilson apologist. That's a fact.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2014, 02:32:27 PM »
It's called abstracting. You should try it some day. I'm not going to argue the semantics of every one of your posts. You're a Wilson apologist. That's a fact.

You're projecting.

Somebody saying they don't think Dawson should get 30min. per game isn't automatically some sort of Wilson apologist.

Semantics matter in this case.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2014, 02:37:48 PM »
You're projecting.

Somebody saying they don't think Dawson should get 30min. per game isn't automatically some sort of Wilson apologist.

Semantics matter in this case.

Amazing isn't it?

I have acknowledged that Wilson is playing too much...have said that Dawson should play more...flat out said that Derrick is average at best....

And I'm a Wilson apologist.  ::)

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2014, 02:41:00 PM »

Amazing isn't it?

I have acknowledged that Wilson is playing too much...have said that Dawson should play more...flat out said that Derrick is average at best....

Well, let's build some bridges folks.

We're probably all closer to the same opinion than we think.

#1 MU has not had very good play from the PG position.

#2 Buzz needs to find a better way to mix and match minutes to get more performance out of that position.

Easy. Peasy.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2014, 03:05:53 PM »

Amazing isn't it?

I suppose what it comes down to is: do you think Dawson should play more minutes than Wilson? Based on all of your posts, I'm guessing your response would be no. That's the rub. Period. And as far as a Wilson apologist, have you never lamented that Wilson is playing too much and it's not his fault, but that's what the circumstances dictate (due to [insert vice] of Dawson]? I'm almost postive you have, but I'm not going to do my homework, admittedly.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2014, 03:20:57 PM »
I suppose what it comes down to is: do you think Dawson should play more minutes than Wilson? Based on all of your posts, I'm guessing your response would be no. That's the rub. Period. And as far as a Wilson apologist, have you never lamented that Wilson is playing too much and it's not his fault, but that's what the circumstances dictate (due to [insert vice] of Dawson]? I'm almost postive you have, but I'm not going to do my homework, admittedly.

You lose all credibility when you say "It's a fact" that the Sultan is an apologist, then in the next post say you won't do your homework.

It's not abstracting, it's not projecting, it comes across as bloviating.

And I generally agree with your point.   It just carries no influence given your tactics.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2014, 03:23:04 PM »
I suppose what it comes down to is: do you think Dawson should play more minutes than Wilson? Based on all of your posts, I'm guessing your response would be no. That's the rub. Period.

So because I don't want Dawson 20+ minutes I'm an "Derrick apologist" in your eyes?  Whatever.

Complete lack of logic.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2014, 03:25:11 PM »

There is a lot more nuance than your presenting here.

That's the problem when we start putting people in camps of "Pro-(insert player)" or "Anti- (insert player)"... or use terms like "apologist".

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2014, 04:23:35 PM »

Amazing isn't it?

What you've said also is that we don't have a better PG on the roster than Derrick and he gives us out best chance to win. I, and 69 percent of fans disagree. We'd at least like to see John sink or swim because the seasons been sunk this far with our max minute player shooting 8 percent from 3 and 1 make all season. 48 percent from the FT line. Dawson must be freakin awful if he's not better than this...
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2014, 04:29:13 PM »
Forget about Wilson (cause, like, why hurt myself?). But Jake Thomas getting more minutes that Mayo is really getting old, especially when you see smart quotes like this from Todd.

Also, I don't get why we don't play Thomas and Mayo TOGETHER more. But Mayo should be way ahead of Thomas if they're fighting for PT for 1 position.

“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2014, 04:30:02 PM »
You lose all credibility when you say "It's a fact" that the Sultan is an apologist, then in the next post say you won't do your homework.
Completely independent of one another.

It's not abstracting, it's not projecting, it comes across as bloviating.
Not really. I'm basing it off what I read over time.

And I generally agree with your point.   It just carries no influence given your tactics.
So do me a solid and add in your non-bloviating, credible explanation for why you agree with me.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2014, 04:31:19 PM »
Forget about Wilson (cause, like, why hurt myself?). But Jake Thomas getting more minutes that Mayo is really getting old, especially when you see smart quotes like this from Todd.

Also, I don't get why we don't play Thomas and Mayo TOGETHER more. But Mayo should be way ahead of Thomas if they're fighting for PT for 1 position.

I have suggested scraping Oxtule, and going with Gardner, Wilson, Thomas, Mayo and Wilson.  Of course defensive match up dictate some of this, but it gets Davante on the block, and Mayo on the floor earlier.  

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2014, 04:32:25 PM »
There is a lot more nuance than your presenting here.

That's the problem when we start putting people in camps of "Pro-(insert player)" or "Anti- (insert player)"... or use terms like "apologist".
There are two camps as far as I'm concerned. (1) Dawson should play more minutes than Wilson or (2) Wilson should play more minutes than Dawson. Whoever plays more minutes is who Buzz thinks gives us the best chance to win, per se. What nuances am I missing here?

dbwarriors

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2014, 04:32:51 PM »
Most times it's good cop (assistants) and bad cop (head coach) when it comes to college basketball.  It's always been this way, and just how it works (for nearly all programs).

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2014, 04:37:30 PM »

So because I don't want Dawson 20+ minutes I'm an "Derrick apologist" in your eyes?  Whatever.

Complete lack of logic.

Whatever, scrap the apologist language, I don't care. What it comes down to is you want Wilson playing more than Dawson and I've seen nothing thus far this year to warrant that stance. You've dug in your heels on Wilson playing more than Dawson, and with each passing game you're looking more and more stubborn.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2014, 04:39:15 PM »
There are two camps as far as I'm concerned. (1) Dawson should play more minutes than Wilson or (2) Wilson should play more minutes than Dawson. Whoever plays more minutes is who Buzz thinks gives us the best chance to win, per se. What nuances am I missing here?

The one that acknowledges that Wilson isn't performing well, and thinks that Dawson should get more minutes than he has.

Look, I think that Derrick should play about 25...Dawson 15.  You are probably the opposite.  We are arguing about 10-15 minutes here.  I have never argued that Derrick should be getting 30+, should be guaranteed his position, and is all conference.  IN FACT, I have mentioned that I would LOVE for Dawson to step up more consistently and take away Derrick's minutes.  He just hasn't done so with consistency yet.

As I mentioned this morning the problem with this debate, like political debates in our country today, is that it is so black and white.  There are shades of gray here.  
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 04:43:28 PM by The Sultan of Syncopation »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2014, 04:41:55 PM »
Whatever, scrap the apologist language, I don't care. What it comes down to is you want Wilson playing more than Dawson and I've seen nothing thus far this year to warrant that stance. You've dug in your heels on Wilson playing more than Dawson, and with each passing game you're looking more and more stubborn.

Each passing game?  Dawson has clearly outplayed Derrick in only ONE of the last FOUR games.  You guys are acting like Chris Paul is sitting on the bench or something.

Talk about stubborn....

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2014, 04:43:49 PM »
I, for one, am shocked that two people have different opinions on the internet.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2014, 04:46:22 PM »
With each passing game, it is looking more and more ridiculous. Wilson is an "elite defender" according to Buzz, but Archie made him get tired, according to Buzz. No, Archie and whoever else Derrick guarded broke him down off the dribble all game. Others have had their way against Wilson. That is not an elite defender. In addition, the guy can't shoot well, specially beyond 10 feet, and cannot make FT"s at even a 50% clip. Sultan's attempts at defending the indefensible are definitely surreal.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2014, 04:55:48 PM »

I have suggested scraping Oxtule, and going with Gardner, Wilson, Thomas, Mayo and Wilson.  Of course defensive match up dictate some of this, but it gets Davante on the block, and Mayo on the floor earlier.  

Agreed, but Taylor has done such a nice job in there lately I'd hate to leave him out. Best lineup I think is Wilson, Mayo, Jamil, Taylor, Gardner.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2014, 04:57:52 PM »
Completely independent of one another.
 Not really. I'm basing it off what I read over time.
So do me a solid and add in your non-bloviating, credible explanation for why you agree with me.

I'd be happy to:

1)  Not independent.  In your 3:05pm post, you follow up your "apologist...fact" post with "And as far as a Wilson apologist, have you never lamented that Wilson is playing too much and it's not his fault, but that's what the circumstances dictate (due to [insert vice] of Dawson]? I'm almost postive you have, but I'm not going to do my homework, admittedly"  I'd like your explanation of how they are independent.
2)  I'll accept that.  Based upon your rationale, AFter reading your recent posts, I have concluded many of your posts come across as bloviation.
3)  I believe Dawson should get addditional time.  He appears to me to have a confidence on the court I hope/believe will develop into being the leader we so desparately need (which in the past Vander, Trent, Jae, Lazar and JFB did).  He makes mistakes on defense, but given more game experience and hard work in practice, I hope he can reduce or eliminate.  He also seems to have ice water in his veins when shooting, and no one on this team, IMHO(other than maybe JJJ and Deonte) has shown signs they want to take the big shot when needed.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2014, 05:06:42 PM »
I'd be happy to:

1)  Not independent.  In your 3:05pm post, you follow up your "apologist...fact" post with "And as far as a Wilson apologist, have you never lamented that Wilson is playing too much and it's not his fault, but that's what the circumstances dictate (due to [insert vice] of Dawson]? I'm almost postive you have, but I'm not going to do my homework, admittedly"  I'd like your explanation of how they are independent.
2)  I'll accept that.  Based upon your rationale, AFter reading your recent posts, I have concluded many of your posts come across as bloviation.
3)  I believe Dawson should get addditional time.  He appears to me to have a confidence on the court I hope/believe will develop into being the leader we so desparately need (which in the past Vander, Trent, Jae, Lazar and JFB did).  He makes mistakes on defense, but given more game experience and hard work in practice, I hope he can reduce or eliminate. He also seems to have ice water in his veins when shooting, and no one on this team, IMHO(other than maybe JJJ and Deonte) has shown signs they want to take the big shot when needed.

I know why Dawson should play, the issue here, is why Wilson should not play since he keeps seeing the floor for big minutes for some inexplicable reason. And as far as taking the big shot, JJJ and Burton have never been in position to take a big shot, and the subject of this thread should be the poster boy for big shots on this 2013-2014 MU team. Mayo sent us into overtime @Gtown and single handedly gave this team 5 extra minutes against Nova.

And though I don't like being labeled as a bloviator, I'll fight to the death for your right to call me such.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 05:09:59 PM by windyplayer »

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2014, 05:09:20 PM »
If I were Todd I would go tell Buzz that maybe he is 29% on 3s in league play but in the last two games he is 100% on big shots when we need them.  Oh, and by the way, he's also our best FT shooter and the guy who is leading the team in minutes is shooting 8% on 3s, 39% from the field and 48% on free throws.  It bothers me that it just seems like Buzz really likes Derrick.  I'm not going to say Dawson or anyone else is a savior but Derrick is getting way too many minutes.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2014, 05:11:49 PM »

+1

I've been saying this for awhile. Mayo is a slashing two guard while Thomas is a sniper. Neither is as effective without the other.

My personal opinion for our best rotation

1) D Wilson/Dawson (split time offense-defense)
2) Mayo (Should play almost whole game)
3) J Wilson (Should play the whole game)
4) S Taylor/Thomas/Anderson/Burton*
5) Gardner/Otule (Otule only enough time to keep Davante fresh)

*Obviously Jake/Juan/Burton won't play the four with Jamil in the game. Jamil switches to the 4 and these three play the 3. Thomas for threes, Anderson for defense, Burton for offense
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.