Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Tom Crean Just Got Ejected  (Read 17939 times)

jaybilaswho?

• All American
Re: Tom Crean Just Got Ejected
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2010, 09:38:52 AM »
It's gotta be pretty rare to see a high major D1 coach get tossed. 

Huggins got tossed on Wednesday night (I think it was) because he got two technicals.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

muballer10

• Starter
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2010, 09:44:18 AM »
....and this just in, Kevin O' Neil took a crap this morning.

ugh. superbar please.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2010, 09:46:02 AM »
Hard to believe TC using such bad language after this rant.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0dasj3L4m8

Hahaa.......that was an impressive rant. Coaches are regular dudes, most of them swear a storm. Buzz has had a few doozies this year. Don't get why that bothers people.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2010, 09:48:12 AM »
The hatred of Crean.    Think of TC has a high maintenance  ex-girlfriend.    Some always thought she was a pain and said so.    Some thought she was a pain but gave her the benefit of the doubt out of courtesy to you and the fact she made you happy.    Some genuinely liked her and are heartbroken you broke up.    Some loved her while you were with her, but now that she is gone see all of the flaws they overlooked.    Somes say, hey, we had a good run, thanks for the memories and have moved on to the next girl.   I've moved on to the next girl.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2010, 09:50:13 AM »
I think the biggest concern is he is doing the same thing at IU that he did at MU.  He has a solid 2009 recruiting class but his 2010 class is awful.  He has 2 recruits and they would be comparable to Reggie Smith and DJ newbill in the rating's which would be out lowest rated of the 5. He needs to close on at least one big time player in the next month or so.  Buzz is a better recruiter and more importantly has a better eye for talent.  IE Butler, DJO, and hopefully Crowder and DJ Newbill.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2010, 09:50:21 AM »
Hard to believe TC using such bad language after this rant.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0dasj3L4m8

The last comment on this page pretty much sums up Crean's problem

"shut up tom, why don't you win a f*cking basketball game "

96warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2010, 09:53:38 AM »
The hatred of Crean.    Think of TC has a high maintenance  ex-girlfriend.    Some always thought she was a pain and said so.    Some thought she was a pain but gave her the benefit of the doubt out of courtesy to you and the fact she made you happy.    Some genuinely liked her and are heartbroken you broke up.    Some loved her while you were with her, but now that she is gone see all of the flaws they overlooked.    Somes say, hey, we had a good run, thanks for the memories and have moved on to the next girl.   I've moved on to the next girl.

Now THIS...this is excellent.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2010, 09:57:33 AM »
Some of you seem to hold on to a lot of hurt feelings.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2010, 10:51:57 AM »
The hatred comes from those who pretended to like him for so many years. When he finally left, they were free to voice their true opinions of the a-hole. He's absolutely loathsome.

I pray to God that last night was not rock bottom.

What is sad is your statement is true. Instead of being able to openly discuss our program, a lot of MU fans/alumns aren't open to criticism. When ever someone in the media questioned Crean's character, the MU boards went nuts. Now when ever someone on hear says anything about Buzz, people go nuts. Well, guess what? Buzz is a human being and a NCAA coach/recruiter. The game isn't as pure as most people think. That said, Buzz is infinity better than Crean as a human being, just don't wear rosey glasses all the time.

warriors1991

• Team Captain
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2010, 10:55:13 AM »
Not sure I quite see the "hurt feelings" everywhere. (Yes, some here hate the man bitterly.)

I liked Crean but never loved him. I always questioned his bizarre offensive sets and pulled my hair out watching DJ dribble around for 20 seconds waiting for guys to run a single play. I thought his recruiting was decent but not great.
I find it mildly amusing now to see Indiana struggle. When they hired him I told a friend "Hope you know what you're getting yourself into."
We went to a FF purely on the backs of some seriously lucky talent to drop in our laps. Outside of that his game coaching and his recruiting were average at best.

Buzz's recruiting has been solid. I enjoy watching Buzz's teams play vastly more than I enjoyed watching Crean's. I think in the long run Buzz will definitely be better than TC.

That said, I wish Crean and Indiana luck. They're both gonna need it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2010, 11:19:45 AM »
What is sad is your statement is true. Instead of being able to openly discuss our program, a lot of MU fans/alumns aren't open to criticism. When ever someone in the media questioned Crean's character, the MU boards went nuts. Now when ever someone on hear says anything about Buzz, people go nuts.

Irony personified

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2010, 11:20:22 AM »
The last comment on this page pretty much sums up Crean's problem

"shut up tom, why don't you win a f*cking basketball game "

I know that's what TC needs to say but what an F-ing hypocrite.  A couple years ago I sat about 3 rows behind the MU bench at a Depaul game (at Depaul).  I was there with my two sons (13 and 10 at the time) and we listened to the Tanned One scream more vulgarity during the game than....I guess I can't say than you could imagine, because I think you probably can imagine, but you get the drift.

I'd prefer the above quote just be "shut up tom".  

Next.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2010, 11:20:37 AM »
To take my metaphor one step further, some people realize they are in a better place now with a better girlfriend and wish their ex well.    But when they hear that the ex who dumped them is struggling, a little voice deep down in their soul says,"That's what you get, ^#$@#&.    Enjoy.   Shouldn't have dumped me, eh?"    
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2010, 11:22:31 AM »
To take my metaphor one step further, some people realize they are in a better place now with a better girlfriend and wish their ex well.    But when they hear that the ex who dumped them is struggling, a little voice deep down in their soul says,"That's what you get, ^#$@#&.    Enjoy.   Shouldn't have dumped me, eh?"    

Only really bitter people act this way.  Sorry, I don't have that much bitterness.    Of course, I've always wondered why when former girlfriends Kevin O'Neill and Rick Majerus left, crapped on MU or left them in a lurch, why the same bitterness didn't come to the surface.  The same hatred.  That same little voice.  Go figure.

LOL

tower912

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2010, 11:24:50 AM »
I'm not mad at Crean.   I wish him well, as he is going to need time and patience to build that program up from the basicaly zero.   

flash

• Team Captain
« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2010, 11:26:11 AM »
Indiana expects excellence from its basketball program.  If Tom Crean doesn't make the tounament in the next two or three years, i would expect him to be fired.  

LON

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2010, 11:28:14 AM »

Only really bitter people act this way.  Sorry, I don't have that much bitterness.    Of course, I've always wondered why when former girlfriends Kevin O'Neill and Rick Majerus left, crapped on MU or left them in a lurch, why the same bitterness didn't come to the surface.  The same hatred.  That same little voice.  Go figure.

LOL

How many internet forums were around then?  My guess is probably not many.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2010, 11:28:30 AM »
Not sure I quite see the "hurt feelings" everywhere. (Yes, some here hate the man bitterly.)

I liked Crean but never loved him. I always questioned his bizarre offensive sets and pulled my hair out watching DJ dribble around for 20 seconds waiting for guys to run a single play. I thought his recruiting was decent but not great.
I find it mildly amusing now to see Indiana struggle. When they hired him I told a friend "Hope you know what you're getting yourself into."
We went to a FF purely on the backs of some seriously lucky talent to drop in our laps. Outside of that his game coaching and his recruiting were average at best.

Buzz's recruiting has been solid. I enjoy watching Buzz's teams play vastly more than I enjoyed watching Crean's. I think in the long run Buzz will definitely be better than TC.

That said, I wish Crean and Indiana luck. They're both gonna need it.

Well, I'm going to be labeled an apologist for this, but I have to say it:

What makes Tom Crean's recruiting "lucky" and Buzz Williams recruiting "solid"?

I love Buzz's recruits so far, but I really liked the guys TC was getting too. TC was just lucky to get the guys he did?

In 2000, nobody knew how good Wade was going to be. If they did, Crean probably wouldn't have gotten him. That's a fair statement. TC was smart enough to know Wade was good. He was lucky enough to strike gold. I get it.

However, couldn't that same logic be applied to Jimmy Butler?

Crean was simply "lucky" to get Wade, but somehow Buzz is brilliant for getting Jimmy?

I'm all for legit criticism of a coach, but I really think some personal biases are coming into play.

In the long run, Buzz might be the best thing that happened to MU in a long time. I'm hoping for that. But, just because we "like" him more doesn't mean everything he does is better than the previous coach.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2010, 11:31:42 AM »
love that a youtube search of "tom crean" refined to those posted in the last week yields one result about the buckeyes blowing indiana out and then a whole bunch of results related to "cream".  The preview snapshot of the first one looks particularly reminiscent of the chat entertainment the other night.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2010, 11:35:26 AM »

LOL

Because neither of those guys have artificial personalities formed through reading leadership books.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2010, 11:39:16 AM »
Because neither of those guys have artificial personalities formed through reading leadership books.

So you're not mad if a coach screws MU, you only get mad because you just don't like the guy?

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2010, 11:40:04 AM »
If we're talking Indiana basketball, I'll only say this;

TC will clean up the mess that was left him, but in 2-3 years a new coach will need to be hired to win the alumni (and state back over).  By the way, that coach is prowling the sideline at Texas Tech.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2010, 11:43:05 AM »
How many internet forums were around then?  My guess is probably not many.

Prodigy....a lot of us here were on the Marquette forums back then in the early 1990's.

But, yes, I agree, not many.

As for the idea that Knight's son is going to be the next IU coach.  OMG I can't stop laughing at that one.  WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

Alford is more likely than that ever happening.  Alford's got a top ten team right now, but of course many on this board and the other board lambasted him for years as well.  The strange thing about coaching is that you can look like a genius hire for a few years (Steve Lavin, Kevin O'Neill, Dave Laito, etc) and end up on the trash heep very quickly.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2010, 11:46:15 AM »
I thought it was most interesting that TC got a standing ovation for getting the Technical.  I didn't see it until this morning but they just showed it on ESPN. 

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2010, 11:46:57 AM »

LOL

wow what a simple question to answer ...becuase they were not f'ing pricks.  Yes Oneill and Majerus left us in alurch just like Tc did.  the difference is TC was a scumbag prick without a likebale bone in his body.  majerus and Oneill although rough on the exterior were at least to me generally likeable people.  I hated Crean never hated Majerus or Oneil, while they were here, when they left, or since.    

feedback