'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] Pre-Season Roundtable - Part Two  (Read 3765 times)

CrackedSidewalksSays

[Cracked Sidewalks] Pre-Season Roundtable - Part Two
« on: November 05, 2009, 10:30:03 PM »
Pre-Season Roundtable - Part Two

Written by: noreply@blogger.com (Rob Lowe)

Thanks for joining us again as we tackle the Pre-Season Roundtable. Earlier we looked at the Team.  Today we are looking at Part Two (the players).

Who do you think will be Most Improved?

Tim
Chris Otule.  Based on reports from the boards and Rosiak's observations it seems that Otule could be a 15mpg player who, if he avoids foul trouble, could contribute even greater minutes.  A player typically shows the most improvement between the freshman and sophomore seasons and I'm optimistic about Chris despite concerns that he could not successfully challenge Dwight Burke for minutes last season.

Rob
Fulce.  However, this is partially motivated because I’m really rooting for the guy.  Not only would it be great to see him succeed after the injury and surgery, but in all of the video clips he comes across as a pretty funny dude.  Plus, from the reports before last year, Fulce was viewed as being the best of the newcomers.  If he is anywhere close to that (like say... the dunk contest as a reference), then look out for him as the Most Improved.

Kevin
I'll say no one.   Lazar, Acker, Coobie, Otule, Butler.  Those guys are going to be about the same.  For Lazar and Butler, their bar is already high.  (editor's note:  not even Mo Acker, Superstar!?!)

muwarrior92
Most improved player will be Fulce.  I say this because there really isn't much of a benchmark for us to go by except for the limited playing team he had last year.  I expect that he'll have a nice year that will pleasantly surprise (perhaps not) most of us.

bma725
Fulce.  People forget, but a year ago when Fulce and Butler were coming out of Tyler JC, Fulce was the one that was more highly thought of by those who'd seen both.  He's a freak athlete, he's got a well rounded game, and he does a lot of little things well.  If he can stay healthy, a lot of people are going to be surprised at how good he can be.

Of all the players on this team, which jersey are you most likely to buy for yourself (or your kid if you're old?)

Tim
If the Golden Eagle Shop is finally sold out of of its stash of Ben Peavy jerseys I'll have to grab an Erik Williams jersey. Williams' unique blend of size, perimeter skills and defensive prowess make him the most intriguing player to suit up for the Warriors in some time.  (Tim's note: as you'll see below, Rob copied other people's work to get through school)

Rob
I’m looking for a jersey that will stand the test of time.  While it may be that the first choice is to pick Maymon, because he seems to be the most likely to contribute this year.  Also, Maymon basically does anything he sets his mind to, and I give a lot of respect to guys that talk game and back it up.  However, my choice is for Erik Williams.  Once he figures it out, I think Williams will be spooky good, and then I will point to the jersey as being in on it early.  Plus, it’s almost guaranteed that a “Williams” jersey will be solid for as long as Buzz is coach.  Finally, Tim needs to stop copying my answers.

Kevin
Mo Acker, baby.  If only to stick it to Tim, and all the others who hate on Acker.  (editor's note - this comment prompted Tim to send several angry emails like Pavlov's dog).

muwarrior92
The jersey I would buy would be for my son and I would be Mo Acker....because we could buy it and it would fit.  :)

bma725
Hayward.  You know how many other highly recruited shooting guards would have transferred if they came in as a freshman and were told they had to play power forward for the next 3 years?  Hayward could have complained about hurting his NBA chances, he could have pouted, he could have destroyed the chemistry of this team over the last few years....he didn't.  He accepted the challenge of doing something he wasn't used to every day and turned himself into the best player he can possibly be.  (Tim's comment - Nick Williams come on down!)

True/False - Lazar will have a Novak-esque senior season

Tim
True.  Why not?  We need some hope for an upside surprise.  Lazar does not have that one great skill which elevated Novak's performance as a senior, but Hayward has shown consistent improvement year-to-year.  With his varied offensive game and toughness I can't imagine the senior having anything but a signature season in 2009-2010.

Rob
True, dammit!  I know all about Novak and his one key skill.  However, I think that the reflection on Novak's senior season is influenced by his superlative effort vs UConn and then his ND game winning shot.  I think that this year, Hayward will be even better this year on the glass than he’s been the past few years.  Last year Hayward had ten double-doubles, and I think that he'll be the first Marquette player in ages to average a double-double this season.  That would count as a Novak-esque season.

Kevin
False.  Novak was a special player with a unique talent.  I love Lazar (nearly as much as Acker), but he just won't stand out like Novak did.  I knew MU would be better in Novak's senior season than was predicted.  This year, not so much.

muwarrior92
False, but I hope I'm proven wrong.  I think he'll have a very good season, but he will be the focal point of this team.  Novak had the amazing freshmen who loved to drive to the whole to open up space for him.  Will these freshmen provide similar opportunities for Hayward?  Not sure.  Plus Hayward plays down in the box much more than Novak did.  But he remains a matchup nightmare for most defenders, I just hope they don't double down on him too much making him a passer.

bma725
False.  Having just praised him in the previous question, I don't think he'll have a Novak type season.  What made Novak great that year was that it was the perfect match of a guy with one elite skill finding the complimentary players needed to exploit that skill and take over a lot of games.  Lazar's a very good player, maybe even a better all around player than Novak.  But there isn't any one thing he does at an elite level, and I don't know that he has the abilities to take over a game like Novak did.  Hopefully I'm wrong.

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2009/11/pre-season-roundtable-part-two.html

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] Pre-Season Roundtable - Part Two
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 10:40:27 PM »
You cats been drinking and typing?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 10:58:10 PM »

We had fun doing the roundtable.  

By the way, as I continue to beat the Hayward drum, I think it's more than just possible for Hayward to get double-digit rebounds this year.  If he averages a double-double, he'd be the first player to get a double-double since David Boone in 1985-86.

The player before that is something I'm still investigating.  The wiki says it was Maurice Lucas (73-74), but Tim is saying it might be Bo ('77) based on the media guide.  Regardless, it was a long time ago.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 09:21:23 AM by Henry Sugar »
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 09:34:33 AM »

I was....I was on a plane about 35,000 feet when I typed mine up....internet on the plane is a very very good thing, unless you're also drinking and trying to type.   ;)

dsfire

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 09:54:11 AM »
It looks like different people have different ideas of what "a Novak-esque senior season" means.  I don't think he needs to outscore Novak to make that happen, just to have a similar overall impact - including rebounding, defense, etc.  Heck, he was close to Novak's senior ppg last year and had almost 50% more rebounds per game.  I don't think he'll touch Novak's efficiency (who could?), but there are other ways to balance that out.

Then again, the first question is whether this year's team allows Hayward to match his contributions from last year, even.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 10:00:47 AM »
Most improved player will be Fulce. Think about it, do you really think Otule is going to be improved enough to make a difference. He may start but he will spend most of the time on the bench.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 10:10:32 AM »
It looks like different people have different ideas of what "a Novak-esque senior season" means.  I don't think he needs to outscore Novak to make that happen, just to have a similar overall impact - including rebounding, defense, etc.  Heck, he was close to Novak's senior ppg last year and had almost 50% more rebounds per game.  I don't think he'll touch Novak's efficiency (who could?), but there are other ways to balance that out.

Then again, the first question is whether this year's team allows Hayward to match his contributions from last year, even.

I don't think having a Novak type season has much to do with statistics.  IMO he could statistically out perform Novak's senior year, and it still wouldn't be a Novak type season.  What made Novak's season so special wasn't what he did stastically.  It was the blow up performance against UConn, the game winner at Notre Dame etc.  He had a particular skillset that allowed him to have that kind of season, I don't think Hayward does.

Plus, part of what made Novak special was that his senior year was kind of unexpected.  People expect Hayward to have a great year despite the roster turnover.  For him to have a similar type of breakout performance as Novak, he'd likely have to double his production.  Just a small uptick in production isn't going to be viewed the same way.

LON

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 10:15:11 AM »
You know it's bball season when I'm excited to go to the freakin' MSOE exhibition game tomorrow...

dsfire

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 10:58:17 AM »
I don't think having a Novak type season has much to do with statistics.  IMO he could statistically out perform Novak's senior year, and it still wouldn't be a Novak type season.  What made Novak's season so special wasn't what he did stastically.  It was the blow up performance against UConn, the game winner at Notre Dame etc.  He had a particular skillset that allowed him to have that kind of season, I don't think Hayward does.

Plus, part of what made Novak special was that his senior year was kind of unexpected.  People expect Hayward to have a great year despite the roster turnover.  For him to have a similar type of breakout performance as Novak, he'd likely have to double his production.  Just a small uptick in production isn't going to be viewed the same way.
Interesting.  I don't think there's any way Lazar could realistically improve in the same way Novak did.   I do expect there to be games where he carries the team on his back in a similar fashion, though (perhaps not 41 and 16 against #2).

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 11:06:05 AM »
Novak carrying the team on his back a few games was impressive.  What we've really missed the years since he's been gone, though, is a lights out 3-point shooter that can extend the defense and prevent the middle from getting clogged up.  I think that Hayward can play that role as long as he's not forced to play with his back to the basket all year.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 01:09:16 PM by Skatastrophy »

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 12:35:17 PM »
Novak carrying the team on his backs a few games was impressive.  What we've really missed the year's since he's been gone, though, is a lights out 3-point shooter that can extend the defense and prevent the middle from getting clogged up.  I think that Hayward can play that role as long as he's not forced to play with his back to the basket all year.

Not just lights out but also 6'10"
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2009, 01:09:41 PM »

Great points, as usual bma. I would also add that Novak made others (especially DJ) better... I don't know if Hayward will do that. Novak shooting opened up the floor for DJ, giving him driving lanes to the basket. With no Novak, does anyone think DJ wins Big East Freshman of the Year??

Indeed Novak's senior season was unexpected. Steve's sophomore and junior years were plagued by inconsistencies. One night he would go off (Louisville '04) and the next night he would be a non-factor (think Southern Miss at UWGB). What surprised me about that senior season was not that Novak was a great shooter, or that he could score, it was the fact that he did it in almost every game.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2009, 01:45:16 PM »
It looks like different people have different ideas of what "a Novak-esque senior season" means.  I don't think he needs to outscore Novak to make that happen, just to have a similar overall impact - including rebounding, defense, etc. 

Agreed.  Maybe just to attempt to compare Lazar to Novak is unfair.  As stated, Novak had kind of a breakout season.  In addition, Novak had several games where he took over, such as the UConn, ND, @UL, and Missouri games.

My point is this.  Lazar was in the shadows for the past three years, and I don't think he's been appreciated to the extent he could have been.  How quiet were his ten double-doubles last year.  Or his game with eighteen rebounds? 

Lazar could also have a senior season that is something special... just like Novak did.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2009, 11:12:10 PM »
Maybe we are giving Novak more credit than he deserves.  If he was the dominant element the first year of the Amigos why wasn't there a significant win drop the year after Novak left and the following years?  I think people are putting to much weight on what Novak did but not enough on what the 3 amigos did.  Hence, if this team can be as successful as the senior year of Novak I think it speaks even more highly of Lazar since there are no 3 amigos that Novak had.  I think it is more fair to compare Novak with the 3 amigos and Lazar as a freshman with the three amigos than to compare Lazar without the 3 amigos to Novak with the 3 amigos.  I personally think Lazar is more important to the team even without his "Elite Skillset".

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2009, 09:20:08 AM »
Maybe we are giving Novak more credit than he deserves.  If he was the dominant element the first year of the Amigos why wasn't there a significant win drop the year after Novak left and the following years?  I think people are putting to much weight on what Novak did but not enough on what the 3 amigos did.  Hence, if this team can be as successful as the senior year of Novak I think it speaks even more highly of Lazar since there are no 3 amigos that Novak had.  I think it is more fair to compare Novak with the 3 amigos and Lazar as a freshman with the three amigos than to compare Lazar without the 3 amigos to Novak with the 3 amigos.  I personally think Lazar is more important to the team even without his "Elite Skillset".

This.

feedback