collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Tennis  (Read 114323 times)

shoothoops

• All American
Re: Tennis
« Reply #1775 on: September 09, 2023, 06:25:58 PM »
R-e-l-a-x.

We in here. Late night Latin food for everyone.

111th street.

Bump.

shoothoops

• All American

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1777 on: September 10, 2023, 08:05:23 AM »
'Metica North American Swing Sweep complete.

Gauff's.contribution to it:

18-1

5-1 vs World Top 10
8-1 vs World Top 20

DC Title
World number 1 dub (over Swiatek)
Cincinnati Title
World number 1 dub (over Sabalenka)
United States Open Title

World number 3 in singles.
World number 1 in doubles.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1778 on: September 10, 2023, 09:32:45 AM »
Gauff v Sabalenka:

Going in, Gauff had defeated Sabalenka three years in a row. (now 4)

Sabalenka had won 13 titles, 11 of them on hard courts. 5 straight slam semifinals or better, all surfaces. New World number 1.

Sabalenka stands farther back on service returns to give herself more time. And she had s game plan to attack the Gauff forehand off of both sides.

Both players had a bit of nerves early. And that can break down fundamentals.

Gauff needed to up her footwork, hit through the ball, with more topspin and slice variety with much more depth. And she needed to up her first serve. Starts and stops with serve and service return.

2nd set Gauff won 81% of her first serves and returned serve at 92%. Sabalenka was solid but not nowhere near those levels.

Making Sabalenka play extra balls eventually decreased Sabalenka’s aggressiveness. And you have to turn defense into offense with better fundamentals and better execution.’Nsd that’s what Gauff did.

Sabalenka became the player that wasn’t getting her usual depth on shots which allowed more aggressive offensive shots from Gauff to force more errors.

Gauff had 10 errors in the first set, and she had just 7 unforced errors in the 2nd set. And she had just 2 in the third or 2 sets combined less errors than the first.

Receiving points won was down to 41% by the end for Sabalenka as Gauff upped her serve level.

Finding a way to win the match you are in regardless of circumstances or either player’s level.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 11:08:22 AM by shoothoops »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1779 on: September 10, 2023, 11:39:28 AM »
Gauff v Sabalenka:

Going in, Gauff had defeated Sabalenka three years in a row. (now 4)

Sabalenka had won 13 titles, 11 of them on hard courts. 5 straight slam semifinals or better, all surfaces. New World number 1.

Sabalenka stands farther back on service returns to give herself more time. And she had s game plan to attack the Gauff forehand off of both sides.

Both players had a bit of nerves early. And that can break down fundamentals.

Gauff needed to up her footwork, hit through the ball, with more topspin and slice variety with much more depth. And she needed to up her first serve. Starts and stops with serve and service return.

2nd set Gauff won 81% of her first serves and returned serve at 92%. Sabalenka was solid but not nowhere near those levels.

Making Sabalenka play extra balls eventually decreased Sabalenka’s aggressiveness. And you have to turn defense into offense with better fundamentals and better execution.’Nsd that’s what Gauff did.

Sabalenka became the player that wasn’t getting her usual depth on shots which allowed more aggressive offensive shots from Gauff to force more errors.

Gauff had 10 errors in the first set, and she had just 7 unforced errors in the 2nd set. And she had just 2 in the third or 2 sets combined less errors than the first.

Receiving points won was down to 41% by the end for Sabalenka as Gauff upped her serve level.

Finding a way to win the match you are in regardless of circumstances or either player’s level.

Sabelnka had a ton of unforced errors (including total sitters) and Gauff played much better the last set and a half.   But regardless Gauff's speed and her forehand in the 3rd was the reason Sabalenka was introduced to darkness and lost her will. 

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1780 on: September 10, 2023, 12:00:41 PM »
Sabelnka had a ton of unforced errors (including total sitters) and Gauff played much better the last set and a half.   But regardless Gauff's speed and her forehand in the 3rd was the reason Sabalenka was introduced to darkness and lost her will.

Sabalenka is the nunber 1 player in the world. She's advanced to 5 straight slam semis or better. She didn't lose her will and she wasn't.introduced to darkness whatever that means. That's absurd and inaccurate.

I listed the reasons why Gauff won. And I am sure you were most surprised by it considering your past and recent posts of doubt..
« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 12:15:26 PM by shoothoops »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1781 on: September 10, 2023, 12:28:33 PM »
I’m not a tennis player, I like to play, but I didn’t play growing up. However, going to a US Open final has skyrocketed to the top of my must do experiences. Awesome environment.

Finals aren’t all like that one. That was one of the special ones, and one of the loudest. There is however always some type of September magic in Flushing Meadows. Great event every year. Summer in the City.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1782 on: September 10, 2023, 12:37:00 PM »
What did you do 10 days before your Freshman year in college?

San Diego native Katherine Hui lost in the US Open Qualifying tourney. She was then given a last minute wildcard into the US Open Girls Junior event.

She then won straight, 4 over ITF top 20 world juniors, en route to the US Open Girls Singles Title.

The 18 year old will begin Fall classes at Stanford within two weeks.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1783 on: September 10, 2023, 12:54:35 PM »
I happen to think there is a difference between "great" and "all-time great." You apparently do not.

Michael Chang was a great tennis player for many years. I happen to not think he was an "all-time great." David Duval was the No. 1 golfer in the world at one time and if not for injuries and other things, who knows how good he could have been? He was great ... but I don't happen to think he was an "all-time great" golfer.

But you're free to categorize "Delpo" anyway you want. Call him the greatest ever for all I care.

I'll say he was a fine tennis player for his time who definitely was not an all-time great, and I'll risk being tsk-tsked by you for all eternity.

What a silly debate this has been. Thankfully, hardly any of our fellow Scoopers bother with this thread, so we haven't ruined anything for anybody.

Enjoy your Sunday.
Chang Delpo is an accurate  comparison.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1784 on: September 10, 2023, 04:52:29 PM »
I’ve never loved Medvedev, but he is a tremendous heel, especially at the US Open, and has fantastic self awareness about it. Can’t help but enjoy him playing that role

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1785 on: September 10, 2023, 04:56:13 PM »
I’ve never loved Medvedev, but he is a tremendous heel, especially at the US Open, and has fantastic self awareness about it. Can’t help but enjoy him playing that role

He can win this match but has to find a way to win the 2nd set. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1786 on: September 10, 2023, 04:59:49 PM »
Oh boy.....the Djoker could be hurt. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1787 on: September 10, 2023, 05:05:03 PM »
OMG what a shot!!  That was seriously sick by Novak. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1788 on: September 10, 2023, 05:53:16 PM »
The Djoker's mental strength is just extraordinary.  I'm a huge Rafa guy but it's impossible not to have tremendous respect for Novak. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1789 on: September 10, 2023, 06:09:28 PM »
Djoker has been absolutely dominant at the net today.  Medvy seems to have no answers. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1790 on: September 10, 2023, 06:40:30 PM »
My prediction is Djokovic hits 27 g-slams by the time he retires. He'll get 3 more in two years  imo. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1791 on: September 10, 2023, 06:57:13 PM »
My prediction is Djokovic hits 27 g-slams by the time he retires. He'll get 3 more in two years  imo.

Greatest tennis player ever, full stop. He’d probably have 26 now if he hadn’t been blacklisted by the Australian and US Opens in 2022. He appears pretty healthy despite his vaccination status.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1792 on: September 10, 2023, 06:59:42 PM »
Greatest tennis player ever, full stop. He’d probably have 26 now if he hadn’t been blacklisted by the Australian and US Opens in 2022. He appears pretty healthy despite his vaccination status.

He wasn’t blacklisted.  He made a choice.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1793 on: September 10, 2023, 07:02:21 PM »

He made a decision to come to the net more today.  He was getting hurt in the long rallies so he tweaked his game plan Lenny.  I think he wound up like 36/40 at the net and I don't think he was moving 100%  The guy is ridiculous and you make a fair point that he coukd easily have 26.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1794 on: September 10, 2023, 07:07:30 PM »
He wasn’t blacklisted.  He made a choice.

You're right and I get the '21 decisions.  Sept 2022 is harder to understand.  And the fact that tennis is an outdoor sport with 2 players nowhere near each other is also worth noting. He made these decisions but the edict after a full year is very debatable. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1795 on: September 10, 2023, 07:13:26 PM »
You're right and I get the '21 decisions.  Sept 2022 is harder to understand.  And the fact that tennis is an outdoor sport with 2 players nowhere near each other is also worth noting. He made these decisions but the edict after a full year is very debatable.

Maybe.  But he made his choice. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1796 on: September 10, 2023, 07:40:26 PM »
Maybe.  But he made his choice.

That's fair and he has said as much.  I criticized him at the onset of C-19.  But it's very difficult to rationally believe that in the Fall of '22 he should have been banned from playing in NYC.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #1797 on: September 10, 2023, 08:06:59 PM »
Saudi money means they run the show ... like LIV golf. The schedule will change, and many major tournaments will move to the Middle East.

And players will be expected to tell the world have great the Saudis are.

September 10, 2023
Saudi Arabia Is Pouring Money in Sports. Is Tennis Next?
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/09/business/dealbook/tennis-business-saudi-arabia.html
Despite the popularity of tennis, its business has struggled.

The U.S. Open has been as gripping as ever this year, with the 19-year-old breakout star Coco Gauff set to face off against Aryna Sabalenka in today’s singles final and Novak Djokovic seeking a 24th Grand Slam win tomorrow. But as a business, tennis has been struggling for years — and faces new pressure to find a sustainable model as Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund, known as P.I.F., has made major investments in sports, sloshing money around in golf, soccer and mixed martial arts.

Some deal makers wonder whether tennis, which has already confirmed initial talks with Saudi Arabia, will be the fund’s next target.

----

Despite the popularity of tennis, the sport brings in only 1.3 percent of earnings from global media sports rights. That’s partly because tennis is made up of myriad entities — including the Women’s Tennis Association; the U.S. Tennis Association; and independent tournaments. The independently operated organizations make scheduling tournaments difficult and diminish bargaining power for sponsorship and media deals. Erratic scheduling and long matches don’t help entice broadcasters.

Financial missteps are reflected in pay for players, most of whom earn little while having to pay for coaches, training sessions and travel expenses to play in the game.

----

Not everyone in tennis opposes Saudi money. Most standouts argue that accepting investment from P.I.F. could help the country reframe its tarnished reputation. But others say that tennis should be more concerned with its bottom line: The women’s professional tennis tour’s decision to suspend all tournaments in China after the disappearance of the tennis player Peng Shuai, for instance, dented the WTA’s business — and ultimately failed to pressure China into granting a meeting with Ms. Shuai.

Some players say that Saudi money could help with pay equity, a longstanding problem in the sport. Outside the four grand slam events last year, men earned about 70 percent more on average than women did during tournaments. Though the women’s tour struck a deal for pay equity this year, the new structure won’t be in place for another decade. If Saudi Arabia “could help getting us to equal prize money, though there are negatives, there’s a lot of positives that can come out of it,” Jessica Pegula, the third-ranked player, told Reuters in July.

But there is little consensus. As rumors swirled this week that the WTA would hold its finals in Saudi Arabia, the former tennis star Chris Evert pushed back. “I would be against it,” Evert said, “but I don’t have a vote.”

Those who did have a vote apparently sided with Evert: The WTA announced on Thursday it will hold the event in Cancún, Mexico.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 08:08:30 PM by Heisenberg v2.0 »
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1798 on: September 10, 2023, 10:12:21 PM »

“Players nowhere near each other.”

Hotels, car services, and when on site…. Players operations center, warm up rooms, Locker rooms, lounges, restaurants, fitness centers, racket stringing room, gifting suite, recovery room, quiet room, salon, indoor indoor courts, laundry drop off etc…and these are just some of the indoor things on just 3 levels inside at BJK Center, let alone elsewhere inside or outside on site. That doesn’t count hundreds of thousands of fans, staff, on site as well… etc…
« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 10:18:51 PM by shoothoops »

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1799 on: September 11, 2023, 05:21:35 AM »
“Players nowhere near each other.”

Hotels, car services, and when on site…. Players operations center, warm up rooms, Locker rooms, lounges, restaurants, fitness centers, racket stringing room, gifting suite, recovery room, quiet room, salon, indoor indoor courts, laundry drop off etc…and these are just some of the indoor things on just 3 levels inside at BJK Center, let alone elsewhere inside or outside on site. That doesn’t count hundreds of thousands of fans, staff, on site as well… etc…
Were fans excluded from the tournament if they weren't vaxed?