collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Tennis  (Read 114350 times)

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
Re: Tennis
« Reply #1750 on: September 08, 2023, 11:17:57 AM »
I didn't cut and paste a thing. I actually follow tennis. You are projecting again because you copied and pasted something while mixing in your own thoughts.

I do attend tournaments, trainings, events, pro, college, other including this event. And I do know some of these people, yes.

I don't make prediictionscin any sport. I don’t believe in it as a personal rule. I also don't need to make any regarding this topic because my prediction isn't relevant to conclude whether or not a player had a meteoric rise.

I didn't need to post a single thing about Ben Shelton in the past. And as luck would have it, I did anyway.

You thought you were playing gotcha again. And once again it backfired. Maybe sit this ome out. It isn't going well for you.

But I am happy to talk tennis in the tennis thread. And I will in a little bit when I get a chance.

Free Madi Keys.

But do you play?

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1751 on: September 08, 2023, 02:27:26 PM »
Ben is likely going to be a star and will be ranked in the top 20 even if he loses to Djokovic today.

This run was also unexpected given his record on tour this year. Both things can be true.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1752 on: September 08, 2023, 02:38:12 PM »
Glued his feet to the cement floor. 

(Old man voice)  I remember when cement shoes meant something in New York.   Damn kids.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1753 on: September 08, 2023, 03:47:07 PM »
Shelton had some great wins against some very good players.

Djokovic isn’t merely very good. (Thanks, Captain Obvious.)

Great tournament for the kid. It would appear he has an extremely bright future.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2023, 03:49:04 PM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1754 on: September 08, 2023, 04:20:38 PM »
But do you play?

Short answer: I do. Yes.
…………….

It isn’t the only one. It’s one of 4 sports (soccer, basketball, baseball as well) that I’ve played at what would be considered a higher level. And with those sports my interest level, work experience, etc.. is at all levels from youth to college to various professional levels. That’s more my thing. Playing, Coaching, Scouting, Recruiting, Player and Business Development etc..

I like other sports too beyond that 4, such as hockey, football, college and professional etc..I like several Summer Olympic Sports etc…but my playing level with some of those would be considered less organized or more recreational.

I don’t really dislike any sports. But there are a few that just aren’t for me as well. Some others I may like in smaller or more casual doses.

But like I said, it doesn’t matter if I play or not. I do. And it’s helpful to discuss. But it isn’t required. We all know ineffective sports commentators or coaches for example that played at the highest levels in their sports. It’s a different job. And there are examples of coaches, execs etc..who never really played their sport who have been successful. So it all depends. Each situation is unique.

Tennis a great sport. Some of the best stories and things about it aren’t always things many people probably get to see and experience.

And training, game planning, preparation, tactics, adjustments competing, athleticism etc are all great fun in tennis as they are in other sports too.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1755 on: September 08, 2023, 04:24:03 PM »
Ben is likely going to be a star and will be ranked in the top 20 even if he loses to Djokovic today.

This run was also unexpected given his record on tour this year. Both things can be true.

Not sure if this is referencing my discussion or not? If it is, that wasn’t the discussion.

To go from college tennis and ranked in the mid 500’s hundreds, to top 100 end of last year, to top 50 prior to this event, would be considered very fast, immediate success as a professional via multiple tours. It’s about 19 recent wins. And wins in big moments against big players all prior to this event.

And of course his continued success will not likely be linear as is the case with many.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1756 on: September 08, 2023, 04:38:27 PM »
Shelton is incredible to watch and has a ton of fight, but his decision (and coaching ?) to have him try these drop shots is questionable. Joker is murdering him on every attempt

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1757 on: September 08, 2023, 04:59:54 PM »
What a fun third set. Good on Shelton for making Djokovic sweat. And how ’bout Djokovic mocking Shelton “hanging up the phone” at the end? Good stuff.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #1758 on: September 08, 2023, 05:11:09 PM »
Late set decision making, one thing Novak will always have and the young americans need to work on. That of course will come with more big match experience. Excited to watch more Shelton. But he loses patience quite quickly. A trait I had for quite a while as well.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1759 on: September 08, 2023, 05:20:50 PM »
Late set decision making, one thing Novak will always have and the young americans need to work on. That of course will come with more big match experience. Excited to watch more Shelton. But he loses patience quite quickly. A trait I had for quite a while as well.

I've never lost patience. 

Anyway, nice to hear the kid pushed Novak in the 3rd. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1760 on: September 08, 2023, 07:22:20 PM »
Medvy came to play tonight.  Alcaraz is going to have to dig deep. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1761 on: September 08, 2023, 07:37:22 PM »
Wow.  Alcaraz is completely out of sorts. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1762 on: September 08, 2023, 09:44:51 PM »
Well, dang it.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1763 on: September 08, 2023, 10:04:24 PM »
Well, dang it.

Medvy deserved it even though Alcaraz was way off the 2nd set.  He also handled a hostile and somewhat ridiculous crowd.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1764 on: September 08, 2023, 10:39:18 PM »
Medvy deserved it even though Alcaraz was way off the 2nd set.  He also handled a hostile and somewhat ridiculous crowd.

Yes, to all of that. I just am an Alcaraz fan, so I wish he won.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1765 on: September 09, 2023, 07:25:22 AM »
From the NYT's DealBook:

The U.S. Open has been as gripping as ever this year, with Novak Djokovic seeking a 24th Grand Slam win and the 19-year-old breakout star Coco Gauff set to face off against Aryna Sabalenka in today’s singles final. But as a business, tennis has been struggling for years — and faces new pressure to find a sustainable model as Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund, known as P.I.F., has made major investments in sports, sloshing money around in golf, soccer and mixed martial arts.

Some deal makers wonder whether tennis, which has already confirmed initial talks with Saudi Arabia, will be the fund’s next target.

Players are ready for a change. “Of all the important sports around the world, I think tennis is clearly the one with the greatest opportunity for financial growth and the most unrealized value,” Maria Sharapova, the retired tennis star, told DealBook.

Despite the popularity of tennis, the sport brings in only 1.3 percent of earnings from global media sports rights. That’s partly because tennis is made up of myriad entities — including the Women’s Tennis Association; the U.S. Tennis Association ; and independent tournaments. The independently operated organizations make scheduling tournaments difficult and diminish bargaining power for sponsorship and media deals. Erratic scheduling and long matches don’t help entice broadcasters.

Financial missteps are reflected in pay for players, most of whom earn little while having to pay for coaches, training sessions and travel expenses to play in the game.

That’s why Sharapova thinks the sport should explore bringing in outside capital, whether it be a private equity firm or sovereign wealth fund. It’s also why many believe tennis could be vulnerable to a rival sports league if P.I.F. were to repeat the playbook it used in golf, where its LIV golf tour eventually struck a deal to partner with the PGA Tour to help settle acrimonious litigation.

Could a merger solve the problem? The private equity firm CVC Capital Partners bought a stake in the women’s professional tennis this year, in hopes of capitalizing on the sport’s commercial promise. There has been speculation that CVC could merge the women’s and men’s tours. But such a deal is complex, requiring sign offs from multiple parties that don’t all share the same views.

Other private equity investors are circling with similar aims, DealBook has heard. But it’s not clear any investor or fund could compete with the deep pockets of P.I.F., which has so far shown little interest in returns.

Not everyone in tennis opposes Saudi money. Most standouts argue that accepting investment from P.I.F. could help the country reframe its tarnished reputation. But others say that tennis should be more concerned with its bottom line: The women’s professional tennis tour’s decision to suspend all tournaments in China after the disappearance of the tennis player Peng Shuai, for instance, dented the WTA’s business — and ultimately failed to pressure China into granting a meeting with Ms. Shuai.

Some players say that Saudi money could help with pay equity, a longstanding problem in the sport. Outside the four grand slam events last year, men earned about 70 percent more on average than women did during tournaments. Though the women’s tour struck a deal for pay equity this year, the new structure won’t be in place for another decade. If Saudi Arabia “could help getting us to equal prize money, though there are negatives, there’s a lot of positives that can come out of it,” Jessica Pegula, the third-ranked player, told Reuters in July.

But there is little consensus. As rumors swirled this week that the WTA would hold its finals in Saudi Arabia, the former tennis star Chris Evert pushed back. “I would be against it,” Evert said, “but I don’t have a vote.”

Those who did have a vote apparently sided with Evert: The WTA announced on Thursday it will hold the event in Cancún, Mexico.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1766 on: September 09, 2023, 08:44:10 AM »
Yes, to all of that. I just am an Alcaraz fan, so I wish he won.

Alcaraz was having trampoline issues with his forehand and it sidetracked him for a about a set in a half.  That said Medvy probably would have won either way.  As I said during the tournament he was flying under the radar a bit.  When he plays at that level, on his favorite surface, he is absolutely capable of beating anyone.  Including the Djoker tomorrow.  He served great as well and Alcaraz was not getting free points on his serve.  I think Carlos needs to thwack his 1st serve a bit bigger and he can. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1767 on: September 09, 2023, 03:34:13 PM »
I'm sorry but cheering someone double-faulting is embarrassing.  That said Coco just needs to be solid.  No need to try and overpower Sabalenka. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1768 on: September 09, 2023, 03:58:53 PM »
Ughhh.  Coco just needs to forget about that 1st set because it was seriously putrid.  It's not like Sabalenka is playing great either.  Way, way too many unforced errors.   Get into some rallies and start playing with confidence and precision. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1769 on: September 09, 2023, 04:44:34 PM »
Let's go now!  Coco has raised her level and shown a lot of poise.  Time to slam the door in the 3rd. 

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #1770 on: September 09, 2023, 04:56:52 PM »
Very exciting match. Will Coco stay on the front foot? Will Sabalenka dig to another level like she did against Keys? Or, will she mentally falter?

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #1771 on: September 09, 2023, 05:05:47 PM »
Coco is breaking Sabalenka’s spirit. What a display of tennis, both offensively and defensively. Wow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1772 on: September 09, 2023, 05:06:15 PM »
Very exciting match. Will Coco stay on the front foot? Will Sabalenka dig to another level like she did against Keys? Or, will she mentally falter?

Notwithstanding a few dopes this is one of the most electric crowds I've ever heard .  Coco's movement is incredible.  Tremendous athlete.  Sabalenka can't do what she did to Keys  because Gauff has Tier 1 Zoomability. 

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #1773 on: September 09, 2023, 05:23:11 PM »
Notwithstanding a few dopes this is one of the most electric crowds I've ever heard .  Coco's movement is incredible.  Tremendous athlete.  Sabalenka can't do what she did to Keys  because Gauff has Tier 1 Zoomability.

I’m not a tennis player, I like to play, but I didn’t play growing up. However, going to a US Open final has skyrocketed to the top of my must do experiences. Awesome environment.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1774 on: September 09, 2023, 05:29:18 PM »
That was pretty awesome.  Especially her hugging both of her parents.  And the young lady played a tremendous 3rd set.