collapse

* Recent Posts

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 09:11:02 AM]

Welcome Jack Anderson! by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 09:05:25 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 07:24:03 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:37:28 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Tennis  (Read 114290 times)

shoothoops

• All American
Re: Tennis
« Reply #1625 on: September 03, 2023, 12:43:37 AM »
Tremendous run for Elina Svitolina. After sitting out a year due to a combo of injury, having a baby, and the war in her native Ukraine, she had a goal to crack the top 100. After raising over 7 figure money for her country through various charities, she returned in April.

After winning her 17th title, quarters of the French, Semis of Wimbledon, and other results, she's in the top 25 within 6 months.

Her 16th 2nd week of a slam will have to wait. But what a run.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1626 on: September 03, 2023, 06:42:20 AM »
Someone said on the broadcast that the tennis balls are much slower than they were last week in Cincinnati.  I'm wondering why that would be the case?   

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1627 on: September 03, 2023, 08:27:22 AM »
Someone said on the broadcast that the tennis balls are much slower than they were last week in Cincinnati.  I'm wondering why that would be the case?

The balls are the same as they were in Cincinnati. So you either misunderstood or they misspoke. Why would they be different? Because it is a different tournament. Different events use different tennis balls from different brands, just as different tourneys have different sponsors etc…

Throughout the season many different tennis balls are used from many brands. That isn’t new.

What is new is the Women are playing with the same ball as the Men this year at the U.S. Open. Some top players complained, notably Iga Swiatek. So they made a trial run change.

Previously the Women used a regular felt tennis ball to be more protective of injury and arm and shoulder problems. That ball has less control and flies through the air. Players such as Petra Kvitova like that tennis ball. The Extra Duty Wilson Tennis Ball, also used by the Men, is a much heavier ball, allows for more control, and some think last longer. Where the previous ball is more of a clay court ball in some people’s opinions.

There are other heavier tennis balls on tour, so this one is more medium or fine.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1628 on: September 03, 2023, 08:38:17 AM »
The balls are the same as they were in Cincinnati. So you either misunderstood or they misspoke. Why would they be different? Because it is a different tournament. Different events use different tennis balls from different brands, just as different tourneys have different sponsors etc…

Throughout the season many different tennis balls are used from many brands. That isn’t new.

What is new is the Women are playing with the same ball as the Men this year at the U.S. Open. Some top players complained, notably Iga Swiatek. So they made a trial run change.

Previously the Women used a regular felt tennis ball to be more protective of injury and arm and shoulder problems. That ball has less control and flies through the air. Players such as Petra Kvitova like that tennis ball. The Extra Duty Wilson Tennis Ball, also used by the Men, is a much heavier ball, allows for more control, and some think last longer. Where the previous ball is more of a clay court ball in some people’s opinions.

There are other heavier tennis balls on tour, so this one is more medium or fine.

I did not misunderstand.  Whoever was in the booth was a current player and talked about it in depth.  I think it was Eubanks but I am not 100% sure.  He actually said the used balls in Cincy were faster than the balls at the USOpen.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2023, 08:41:14 AM by MuggsyB »

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1629 on: September 03, 2023, 09:11:49 AM »
They didnt trim their balls, so it slows them down

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1630 on: September 03, 2023, 09:27:33 AM »
I did not misunderstand.  Whoever was in the booth was a current player and talked about it in depth.  I think it was Eubanks but I am not 100% sure.  He actually said the used balls in Cincy were faster than the balls at the USOpen.

It’s the same ball. Surface might be faster. But they are using the same ball. Previously that was different. But not this year. Canada, Cincinnati, and New York all used the same ball this year. You can ask Stacey Allaster or Steve Simon if you wish. You are in luck. It also says it here in paragraph 10:
 https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/38208985/us-open-use-same-tennis-balls-women-men

Cincy used to use different tennis balls in the past, but not this year.

DC used a Technifibre X One 2 tennis balls. Those received a lot of complaints as being way too heavy in the heat and humidity.

Some players don’t care and have little opinion about it, especially if it doesn’t affect them. Some have strong opinions about it. Taylor Fritz would prefer the lighter tennis balls so he could hit 150mph serves with it. Madison Keys also prefers the lighter tennis ball. Opinions are mixed.

Dunlop, Slazenger, lots of different brands and types of tennis balls used per brand.

Pegula is on the player council and I know she prefers the same ball every week of the tour.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1631 on: September 03, 2023, 10:07:42 AM »
It’s the same ball. Surface might be faster. But they are using the same ball. Previously that was different. But not this year. Canada, Cincinnati, and New York all used the same ball this year. You can ask Stacey Allaster or Steve Simon if you wish. You are in luck. It also says it here in paragraph 10:
 https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/38208985/us-open-use-same-tennis-balls-women-men

Cincy used to use different tennis balls in the past, but not this year.

DC used a Technifibre X One 2 tennis balls. Those received a lot of complaints as being way too heavy in the heat and humidity.

Some players don’t care and have little opinion about it, especially if it doesn’t affect them. Some have strong opinions about it. Taylor Fritz would prefer the lighter tennis balls so he could hit 150mph serves with it. Madison Keys also prefers the lighter tennis ball. Opinions are mixed.

Dunlop, Slazenger, lots of different brands and types of tennis balls used per brand.

Pegula is on the player council and I know she prefers the same ball every week of the tour.

I trust your explanation and assume the commentator was incorrect.  Boy is Evert a disaster as well. 
« Last Edit: September 03, 2023, 10:43:09 AM by MuggsyB »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1632 on: September 03, 2023, 10:29:37 AM »
I trust your explanation and assume the commentator waa incorrect.  Boy is Evert a disaster as well.

Your posts often criticize the Women analysts but leave out the Men. It isn’t gender specific.

Johnny Mac (who is absent this year due to illness) isn’t any better than Evert. It isn’t possible to be great if you aren’t traveling the week to week of the tour. Many of the International broadcasters are under stated, all business about that specific match. And for me, that’s what I want. Mac and some others are for casual fans who often only watch a little bit of a big event once a year.

It’s equal opportunity. Mary Carillo has been bad on the World Feed. She’s a good example of someone that doesn’t know the ins and outs of the week to week of the tour. But she at least asks her partners lots of questions during a match about those things. She admits she is unaware of a lot of things. Some of the Men are too prideful to admit that.

Giraffe is a good commentator. Blake is fine. Laura Robson was great on the World Feed. Lindsay Davenport is good.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2023, 10:34:28 AM by shoothoops »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1633 on: September 03, 2023, 10:45:17 AM »
Your posts often criticize the Women analysts but leave out the Men. It isn’t gender specific.

Johnny Mac (who is absent this year due to illness) isn’t any better than Evert. It isn’t possible to be great if you aren’t traveling the week to week of the tour. Many of the International broadcasters are under stated, all business about that specific match. And for me, that’s what I want. Mac and some others are for casual fans who often only watch a little bit of a big event once a year.

It’s equal opportunity. Mary Carillo has been bad on the World Feed. She’s a good example of someone that doesn’t know the ins and outs of the week to week of the tour. But she at least asks her partners lots of questions during a match about those things. She admits she is unaware of a lot of things. Some of the Men are too prideful to admit that.

Giraffe is a good commentator. Blake is fine. Laura Robson was great on the World Feed. Lindsay Davenport is good.

Carillo is abysmal and J-Mac hasn't been particularly good in recent years.  The sport needs to step it up in the broadcasting dept. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1634 on: September 03, 2023, 11:56:50 AM »
Giraffe is spotty.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1635 on: September 03, 2023, 12:09:13 PM »
Giraffe is spotty.

Apparently you missed the news of a spotless giraffe born at the Tennessee zoo? 

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1636 on: September 03, 2023, 12:17:01 PM »
Carillo is abysmal and J-Mac hasn't been particularly good in recent years.  The sport needs to step it up in the broadcasting dept.

Again, I'm sure it's accidental, but you are quick to rip a female broadcaster, and somewhat reluctant to do so with the Men. Johb hasn?t changed his approach in recent years. It's the same. It never was good. It's rhe Dick Vitale for people who don't folllow basketball. He's mascot and good for tennis. He's just miscast as an in match analyst.

You will be the one who has to adjust. By that I meam if you want more variety and better tennjs broadcasters, you'll have to do more than follow regular ESPN a few times a year at slams and NBC. There are several good Women and Men broadcasters elsewhere.

For this event, jfor example, ust watch the World Feed on ESPN plus if you are in the states. I'm not sure why anyone would watch it on ESPN2 instead of on ESPN plus.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1637 on: September 03, 2023, 12:21:55 PM »
Again, I'm sure it's accidental, but you are quick to rip a female broadcaster, and somewhat reluctant to do so with the Men. Johb hasn?t changed his approach in recent years. It's the same. It never was good. It's rhe Dick Vitale for people who don't folllow basketball. He's mascot and good for tennis. He's just miscast as an in match analyst.

You will be the one who has to adjust. By that I meam if you want more variety and better tennjs broadcasters, you'll have to do more than follow regular ESPN a few times a year at slams and NBC. There are several good Women and Men broadcasters elsewhere.

For this event, jfor example, ust watch the World Feed on ESPN plus if you are in the states. I'm not sure why anyone would watch it on ESPN2 instead of on ESPN plus.

I'm not reluctant to do anything. I rip crappy male broadcasters all the time.  Stop creating a false narrative. 

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1638 on: September 03, 2023, 02:17:23 PM »

Don’t be silly. ESPN+ is a premium channel and with the switch to streaming services, most people don’t have it.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1639 on: September 03, 2023, 02:49:22 PM »
Don’t be silly. ESPN+ is a premium channel and with the switch to streaming services, most people don’t have it.

It isn’t silly at all. Tennis is a long calendar season, not just 4 events. And 3 of the 4 are broadcast from the same outlet. Tennis Channel, Tennis Channel Plus, ESPN Plus and more is where you will find more quantity and quality of tennis broadcasters.

No one is forcing anyone to comment about tennis broadcasters. But if the only ones you discuss are the same handful of people from the same handful of broadcasts a year, that sample size is teeny tiny small.

The sub topic is tennis broadcasters, not tennis viewing accessibility. ESPN only cares about the 4 majors in golf and tennis. If you want to watch the tennis tours, and comment about their broadcasters, you need one of the above mentioned, or if another country, one of several other outlets.

As an aside, ESPN plus is very mainstream and has been for many years. It’s easily one of the most valuable places for sports content out there. I watch more sports on it than via any other form of viewing. Many sports.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1640 on: September 03, 2023, 02:49:57 PM »
I'm not reluctant to do anything. I rip crappy male broadcasters all the time.  Stop creating a false narrative.

I can only go by the examples you provide and what you post.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1641 on: September 03, 2023, 03:07:09 PM »
Jimmy Butler in the house!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1642 on: September 03, 2023, 03:38:34 PM »
I will defend this.  Muggsy doesn't like many broadcasters, many coaches, and any time his team loses, it is like too much salt on manatee filets....unacceptable.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2023, 03:40:47 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1643 on: September 03, 2023, 04:21:14 PM »

As an aside, ESPN plus is very mainstream and has been for many years. It’s easily one of the most valuable places for sports content out there. I watch more sports on it than via any other form of viewing. Many sports.

ESPN+ is a subscription service that the majority of the population doesn’t have.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1644 on: September 03, 2023, 04:32:53 PM »
ESPN+ is a subscription service that the majority of the population doesn’t have.

Again, it’s okay to abstain from commenting about tennis broadcasters if you don’t have access to watching tennis broadcasters. The discussion was not about accessibility.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1645 on: September 03, 2023, 04:39:01 PM »
Too good from Coco Gauff. Serve and service return went a long way. Controlled aggression. Not enough offense for Woz. 13 to 3 winners in the first. And in the 3rd CG lost only 1 point when moving forward, which is ridiculous. 20/27 at the net.

Pretty great run for Woz this Summer after a few years off and after having 2 kids. 33 and still some juice left in the tank.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1646 on: September 03, 2023, 06:53:29 PM »
Electric, standng room only crowd on Grandstand (8k plus).

Townsend/Shelton moving on to mixed quarters. Townsend already advanced to Womens dubs quarters with Fernandez.

Great crowds all week for dubs.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1647 on: September 03, 2023, 11:17:28 PM »
Ostapenko is now 4-0 all time vs Swiatek.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1648 on: September 04, 2023, 08:26:29 AM »
Ostapenko is now 4-0 all time vs Swiatek.

It was honestly crazy to see Swiatek's game completely fall apart.  She was spraying errors all over the place and looked mentally shot.  Gauff will take out Ostapenko. 

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1649 on: September 04, 2023, 08:55:31 AM »
It was honestly crazy to see Swiatek's game completely fall apart.  She was spraying errors all over the place and looked mentally shot.  Gauff will take out Ostapenko.

Not a big upset here. And that’s credit to Penko.

Ostapenko had 31 winners. Ultra Aggressive, big hitting, early in points, isn’t the best matchup for Swiatek.

It’s her 2nd major quarterfinal this year. She’s a slam champion that is a top 15 player annually. She’s good. She plays high risk high reward tennis. When she’s on she can defeat anyone. That includes if she is serving well, and picks and chooses her spots wisely.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 09:20:03 AM by shoothoops »

feedback