collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Tennis  (Read 114321 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: Tennis
« Reply #1550 on: July 16, 2023, 11:02:13 AM »
Wow.....just your typical 27 minute game. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1551 on: July 16, 2023, 11:45:02 AM »
We watched the tiebreak and then went out for brunch. Upon our return, we're very pleasantly surprised to see that Alcaraz won the third set and they're tied 2-2 in the fourth. Settling in for the rest of the match.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1552 on: July 16, 2023, 11:51:28 AM »
We watched the tiebreak and then went out for brunch. Upon our return, we're very pleasantly surprised to see that Alcaraz won the third set and they're tied 2-2 in the fourth. Settling in for the rest of the match.

That sucked.  Djoker looks refocused after that break of serve..  Smh. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1553 on: July 16, 2023, 11:59:11 AM »
That sucked.  Djoker looks refocused after that break of serve..  Smh.

I'm OK with Djokovic winning (as if he needs any of our permission). Even if I don't always like him personally, he's the greatest tennis player ever, one of the most accomplished athletes ever, and he's been a pleasure to watch for two decades now.

Alcaraz reminds me so much of a young Rafa (with a better serve), and I love the idea of a young kid stepping up to take the mantle from The Big Three by beating the best of them at Wimbledon.

Rooting for that to happen, but if Djokovic comes back to win this, that will be just another marvelous accomplishment for the star of stars.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1554 on: July 16, 2023, 12:05:48 PM »
I did not like the way Alcaraz gave away that last service game. You win that one and even if Djokovic wins the set on his serve, you get to serve first and set the tone in the fifth set. Plus, he didn't make Djokovic even have to move.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1555 on: July 16, 2023, 12:08:02 PM »
I'm OK with Djokovic winning (as if he needs any of our permission). Even if I don't always like him personally, he's the greatest tennis player ever, one of the most accomplished athletes ever, and he's been a pleasure to watch for two decades now.

Alcaraz reminds me so much of a young Rafa (with a better serve), and I love the idea of a young kid stepping up to take the mantle from The Big Three by beating the best of them at Wimbledon.

Rooting for that to happen, but if Djokovic comes back to win this, that will be just another marvelous accomplishment for the star of stars.

That's fair but you have to squash the guy when the opportunity presents itself.  Carlos let that game, set, and perhaps the match get away from him.  This is why I constantly reiterate dropping tbe hammer so to speak. Djokovic is so strong mentally but Alcaraz has the game right now to subjugate him.  :)

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1556 on: July 16, 2023, 12:08:51 PM »
I did not like the way Alcaraz gave away that last service game. You win that one and even if Djokovic wins the set on his serve, you get to serve first and set the tone in the fifth set. Plus, he didn't make Djokovic even have to move.

Exactly. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1557 on: July 16, 2023, 12:22:13 PM »
Incredible by Alcaraz to make it 1-1 in the 5th.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1558 on: July 16, 2023, 12:26:37 PM »
VAMOS!!!!!!!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1559 on: July 16, 2023, 12:38:10 PM »
What a 5th set by the kid so far. Djokovic looks flummoxed.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1560 on: July 16, 2023, 12:48:20 PM »
SLAM THE DOOR!!

1st serves, no hesitation. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1561 on: July 16, 2023, 12:51:12 PM »
Omg what a backhand stab volley!  VAMOS!!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1562 on: July 16, 2023, 12:52:59 PM »
That was tremendous!  Fantastic job by the young man!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1563 on: July 16, 2023, 12:54:36 PM »
Alcaraz has as much game if not more than the Big 3 had at his age imo.  He's an all-court player. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1564 on: July 16, 2023, 12:56:08 PM »
Nerves of steel. That second drop shot after blowing the first - amazing cajones.

Very deserving champion, ushering in a new era of tennis.

Djokovic played his arse off, too.

Just an incredibly entertaining match. Already looking forward to the U.S. Open.

Alcaraz has as much game if not more than the Big 3 had at his age imo.  He's an all-court player. 

He looks great, obviously. Let's see how he handles the test of time.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1565 on: July 16, 2023, 12:59:19 PM »
Nerves of steel. That second drop shot after blowing the first - amazing cajones.

Very deserving champion, ushering in a new era of tennis.

Djokovic played his arse off, too.

I'm just saying talent wise. I'm not saying he'll be as good.   

Just an incredibly entertaining match. Already looking forward to the U.S. Open.

He looks great, obviously. Let's see how he handles the test of time.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1566 on: July 16, 2023, 01:02:59 PM »
Yes, of course, incredibly talented. He has all the shots, the athletic ability, the serve, the nerves.

It will be fun to watch how much he can accomplish.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1567 on: July 16, 2023, 02:57:23 PM »
Yes, of course, incredibly talented. He has all the shots, the athletic ability, the serve, the nerves.

It will be fun to watch how much he can accomplish.

What has most impresed me about Alcaraz's game is his ability to volley.  Fed obviously could as well but early in their careers Rafa and Djokovic didn't like to come forward.  I don't think he's as consistent as Djoker or Rafa but he may actually have more poppability on his groundies.  Meaning he can absolutely throttle the ball and dictate play against anyone.  He also served quite a few in the 130 range.  This kid is an immense talent and today was a historic victory.  He's also extremely entertaining to watch with his insane quicks and overall flair.   
« Last Edit: July 16, 2023, 04:41:59 PM by MuggsyB »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1568 on: July 16, 2023, 04:09:37 PM »
What has most impresed me about Alcaraz's game is his ability to volley.  Fed obviously could as well but early in their careers Rafa and Djokovic didn't like to come forward.  I don't think he's as consistent as Djoker or Rafa but he may actually have more poppability on his groundies.  Meaning he can absolutely throttle the ball and dictate play against anyone.  He also served quite a few in the 130 range.  This kid is an immense talent and today was a historic victory.  He's also extremely entertaining to watch with his inane quicks and overall flair.

He makes some really poor decisions, and sometimes unnecessarily tries low-percentage shots. He's freakin' 20. A few of us here might have made a poor decision or two at 20! Overall, though, he already "thinks" a good game, especially for such a young player. When Alcaraz gets better at it as he gains experience, assuming he avoids serious injury, he can be as good as anybody ever.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1569 on: July 16, 2023, 04:18:12 PM »
He makes some really poor decisions, and sometimes unnecessarily tries low-percentage shots. He's freakin' 20. A few of us here might have made a poor decision or two at 20! Overall, though, he already "thinks" a good game, especially for such a young player. When Alcaraz gets better at it as he gains experience, assuming he avoids serious injury, he can be as good as anybody ever.

Compared to the other young guns, Alcaraz looks so much more physically mature than Rune or Sinner. I think both will be awesome as they develop physically, but it will be hard for them to catch Alcaraz.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1570 on: July 16, 2023, 04:45:03 PM »
Compared to the other young guns, Alcaraz looks so much more physically mature than Rune or Sinner. I think both will be awesome as they develop physically, but it will be hard for them to catch Alcaraz.

Sinner should be able to unload and get more free points on his serve but I just see Alcaraz as having more tools.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1571 on: July 16, 2023, 04:52:15 PM »

I completely agree but yes, he's 20.  He doesn't have to make the perfect shot and goes for too much at times.  But his dropshot and overall use of the slice on both sides is very effective.  I also think he can go way too big on the return of serve strike.  His speed should give him the confidence that he doesn't have to immediately take over a rally.  The fact is he has the overall arsenal in his game to go toe to toe with anyone including the Djoker.  If he gets more consistent and learns to pick his spots better I could see him being a monumental problem for about a decade or so.  :)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2023, 05:35:23 PM by MuggsyB »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1572 on: July 17, 2023, 08:07:58 AM »
Djokovic with probably the highest praise possible for Alcaraz:

“I think people have been talking in the past 12 months or so about Carlos’ game consisting of certain elements from Roger (Federer), Rafa (Nadal), and myself. I would agree with that. I think he’s got basically the best of all three worlds."

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1573 on: July 17, 2023, 07:20:20 PM »
Djokovic with probably the highest praise possible for Alcaraz:

“I think people have been talking in the past 12 months or so about Carlos’ game consisting of certain elements from Roger (Federer), Rafa (Nadal), and myself. I would agree with that. I think he’s got basically the best of all three worlds."

He's not as consistent but when you're looking at the overall arsenal there is no question the young man has a myriad of skills that take elements from each of the Big 3.  :)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2023, 07:22:43 PM by MuggsyB »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1574 on: July 25, 2023, 06:21:19 PM »
Kei Nishikori, had his first ATP level match in almost 2 years today in Atlanta Georgia. (hip surgery)

Jennifer Brady, first WTA level match in 2 years will be next week in Washington D.C. (torn plantar fascia and knee fracture) No wildcards. So she is using her injury protected ranking to play the rest of this season (12 is max number of events) to boost ranking points.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 06:23:03 PM by shoothoops »

feedback