collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Tennis  (Read 114322 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: Tennis
« Reply #1525 on: July 13, 2023, 10:35:51 AM »
Hey shoothoops,

Do you have any idea why Sabelenla is allowed to "grunt" so loudly?   Has this ever been discussed in depth on the WTA tour?  Ty.

Why does it matter?

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1526 on: July 13, 2023, 11:36:54 AM »
Hey shoothoops,

Do you have any idea why Sabelenla is allowed to "grunt" so loudly?   Has this ever been discussed in depth on the WTA tour?  Ty.

It doesn’t bother the players. The tours would rather alienate a smaller group of anti grunting fans, than top players.
Nadal and Djokovic for example, grunt loudly too. It isn’t gender specific.

The interesting ones are those who grunt loudly during matches but not at all during practice. (Sharapova, Azarenka, etc…) Tactically manufactured vs natural.

The noise (including grunts) and crowds, don’t bother me. I’m much more inclined to mute a subpar sports broadcast on tv, when not there in person.

The most amazing thing I have ever heard is an entire college baseball league fanbase whining and complaining about whistling. Yes, whistling, at a baseball game. Google Vandy Whistler. (Spoiler alert: It isn’t the whistling that really bothers them)

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1527 on: July 13, 2023, 12:56:34 PM »
It doesn’t bother the players. The tours would rather alienate a smaller group of anti grunting fans, than top players.
Nadal and Djokovic for example, grunt loudly too. It isn’t gender specific.

The interesting ones are those who grunt loudly during matches but not at all during practice. (Sharapova, Azarenka, etc…) Tactically manufactured vs natural.

The noise (including grunts) and crowds, don’t bother me. I’m much more inclined to mute a subpar sports broadcast on tv, when not there in person.

The most amazing thing I have ever heard is an entire college baseball league fanbase whining and complaining about whistling. Yes, whistling, at a baseball game. Google Vandy Whistler. (Spoiler alert: It isn’t the whistling that really bothers them)

Glad to read thatJabeur got it done.  I dunno....it seems to me her grunts linger way too long and could be distracting for the opponent.   They also vary a lot even if she does it every point.

Hopefully Ons gets her first major Saturday.  It's gonna require supreme focus in light of her taking out two of the favorites.  I don't know anything about this opponent but she appears to have a ton of pop and good court coverage.   That lefty thwack forehand is dangerous. 

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1528 on: July 13, 2023, 02:32:19 PM »
Glad to read thatJabeur got it done.  I dunno....it seems to me her grunts linger way too long and could be distracting for the opponent.   They also vary a lot even if she does it every point.

Hopefully Ons gets her first major Saturday.  It's gonna require supreme focus in light of her taking out two of the favorites.  I don't know anything about this opponent but she appears to have a ton of pop and good court coverage.   That lefty thwack forehand is dangerous.

How do grunts distract an opponent?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1529 on: July 13, 2023, 04:38:01 PM »
How do grunts distract an opponent?

Jockey,

Not everyone has eagle-eye focus on every shot like you do. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1530 on: July 13, 2023, 07:33:52 PM »
I think Skinner has a chance tomorrow but it's hard to see the Djoker losing. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1531 on: July 14, 2023, 03:51:36 AM »
Judgin' from experience, Eye've found some women ta be more vocal than udders. Wattever floats ya boat, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1532 on: July 14, 2023, 07:50:03 AM »
You simply cannot spray forehand unforced errors vs Djokovic.  Early nerves from Sinner. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1533 on: July 14, 2023, 08:05:11 AM »
The Djoker is not playing at a particularly high level early.  Sinner isn't taking advantage. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1534 on: July 14, 2023, 08:40:10 AM »
The ump just gave Sinner the point for an extended grunt!  Omg!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1535 on: July 14, 2023, 08:47:24 AM »
This ump may make me root for Djokovic.  Crazy. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1536 on: July 14, 2023, 02:39:52 PM »
Ho-hum ... two best male tennis players in the world (by a mile) each win in straight sets. Looking forward to the final. Hopefully, Alcaraz will stay healthy this time.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1537 on: July 14, 2023, 02:58:59 PM »
Ho-hum ... two best male tennis players in the world (by a mile) each win in straight sets. Looking forward to the final. Hopefully, Alcaraz will stay healthy this time.

Wow.....I didn't expect Medvy to get obliterated.  It's hard to see Djokovic losing  but Alcaraz certainly has the talent. 

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1538 on: July 14, 2023, 03:36:48 PM »
Wow.....I didn't expect Medvy to get obliterated.  It's hard to see Djokovic losing  but Alcaraz certainly has the talent.

My feelings exactly. Djokovic is the greatest ever and is on top of his game. Clearly the best player all tournament long.

But in 10 years, we’ll probably be talking about Carlos being an all-time great.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1539 on: July 15, 2023, 08:47:37 AM »
Not a good set of tennis thus far for the women.  However, compared to the commentary this is the greatest set of tennis in history.  Fowler/Evert are beyond awful and an embarrassment.  We get it, Jabeur isn't playing well. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1540 on: July 15, 2023, 08:56:05 AM »
My feelings exactly. Djokovic is the greatest ever and is on top of his game. Clearly the best player all tournament long.

But in 10 years, we’ll probably be talking about Carlos being an all-time great.

Fair point.  Let's just hope Alcaraz doesn't cramp and we see some great tennis. 

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1541 on: July 15, 2023, 09:24:48 AM »
Not a good set of tennis thus far for the women.  However, compared to the commentary this is the greatest set of tennis in history.  Fowler/Evert are beyond awful and an embarrassment.  We get it, Jabeur isn't playing well.

They aren't talking about Vondrousova because they don't follow the week to week of the tour. It's ESPN. Watch the world feed. Vondrousova is former World number 1 Junior and they know little about her as if she just walked off of the street.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1542 on: July 15, 2023, 09:39:17 AM »
They aren't talking about Vondrousova because they don't follow the week to week of the tour. It's ESPN. Watch the world feed. Vondrousova is former World number 1 Junior and they know little about her as if she just walked off of the street.

It's not just that which was was bad enough, they didn't mention anything remotely about what she or Jabeur were trying to do tactically.  They were also openly rooting for Ons which is absurd and unprofessional.  We all have eyes, we could see Jabeur was not playing at her top level.  We could also see that she wouldn't come to the net when she had Marketa on the run and that she sprayed a lot of unforced errors.  But Vondrousova earned the W with her consistency, defense, forehand, and slice serve in the ad court.   Her movement was excellent both laterally and vertically.  She also eliminated Ons' drop shot.  In closing the premier women's sport deserves better than these two freaking clowns.   They are abysmal and that is not hyperbole. 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2023, 09:41:04 AM by MuggsyB »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1543 on: July 15, 2023, 10:22:50 AM »
Vondrousova defeated 5 seeded players to win the title.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1544 on: July 15, 2023, 10:50:31 AM »
Vondrousova defeated 5 seeded players to win the title.

But Evert said it was "stunning" that she won because of her past results on grass.  My guess is she didn't have much of a sample size on grass before the tournament.  When I watched her a bit vs Pegula she was really cracking the ball from the baseline.  Give the girl some credit for being poised today and throughout the tournament.  As you said she dealt with a major injury.  You don't become the #1 Jr. player in the world by some fluke. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1545 on: July 16, 2023, 07:45:05 AM »
I'm wondering if they are gonna close the roof for today's match?  I suppose they really shouldn't but there could be 20 mph winds and major gusts. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1546 on: July 16, 2023, 08:08:20 AM »
This match could have huge implications if Alcaraz pulls this off.  Because he's an all surface player we are talking about a kid who has the potential to dominate the sport for quite awhile imo. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1547 on: July 16, 2023, 08:35:49 AM »
Super disappointing start for Alcaraz.  Has to ne more consistent and he isn't getting free points on his serve. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1548 on: July 16, 2023, 09:29:55 AM »
Nice to see Alcaraz pick up his game a bit but man is Djokovic tough. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1549 on: July 16, 2023, 10:11:50 AM »
Yes!!!: We have ourselves a match!  Very rare to see those two unforced errors fron Djokovic.  I still think Novak will find a way but this just got a lot more interesting.  Alcaraz has the game to dictate points but can he be consistent enough?

feedback