[Today at 04:43:45 PM]

[Paint Touches] Love in the time of the Portal Kombat by tower912
[Today at 01:46:14 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 01:20:38 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[Today at 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Tennis  (Read 114370 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Tennis
« Reply #1250 on: September 06, 2022, 10:27:24 PM »
Not a good service game from Kyrgios there.  He's in big trouble.

You got that right, Muggs. Gotta give Khachanov some credit, too.

Kyrgios is screaming at himself during the break.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1251 on: September 06, 2022, 10:30:12 PM »
Once again I'm hearing pretty dumb comments from McEnroe and Fowler.  They're obviously pro Kyrgios.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1252 on: September 06, 2022, 11:27:53 PM »
Gutsy service game for KK.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1253 on: September 07, 2022, 12:00:34 AM »
Impressive performance by Khachanov.

And then Kyrgios goes out with … um … class.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1254 on: September 07, 2022, 07:45:22 AM »
Serena - gone ... Medvedev - gone ... Rafa - gone ... Coco - gone ... Kyrgios - gone.

Results from the last few days certainly have made the U.S. Open less compelling going forward.

Both the U.S. Open people and the TV people will be quietly rooting for Alcaraz and Tiafoe tonight.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1255 on: September 07, 2022, 08:50:33 AM »
Once again I'm hearing pretty dumb comments from McEnroe and Fowler.  They're obviously pro Kyrgios.

McEnroe has been very critical of Kyrgios plenty of times all tourney.  There was nothing biased about them last night.

Khachanov was incredible last night.  Kyrgios didn't implode, didn't really meltdown, Khachanov just hit every shot he needed, was INSANE when facing break points, and hit some monster serves in key moments.  Just a fantastic match all the way through.

Kyrgios haters clutching their pearls cause he broke a few rackets, but I thought his press conference comments were interesting, maybe showed some of the reason he seemed to have more focus the last few months.  He's still in his prime, lot of story to be told IMO.  Very interesting the crowd support he had last night.

Really a toss up for the field right now, which is great viewing.  Bunch of very different players who all have a very real shot at the title.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1256 on: September 07, 2022, 09:18:29 AM »
McEnroe has been very critical of Kyrgios plenty of times all tourney.  There was nothing biased about them last night.

Khachanov was incredible last night.  Kyrgios didn't implode, didn't really meltdown, Khachanov just hit every shot he needed, was INSANE when facing break points, and hit some monster serves in key moments.  Just a fantastic match all the way through.

Kyrgios haters clutching their pearls cause he broke a few rackets, but I thought his press conference comments were interesting, maybe showed some of the reason he seemed to have more focus the last few months.  He's still in his prime, lot of story to be told IMO.  Very interesting the crowd support he had last night.

Really a toss up for the field right now, which is great viewing.  Bunch of very different players who all have a very real shot at the title.

I didn't care that Kyrgios threw his racquet during the match. Lots of players do that, the umpire warned him, and everybody moved on. After he lost, as Khachanov was waving to the crowd, slamming his racquet several times ... it was like something a 3-year-old would do. (Not really related, but ... I'm not sure why the umpire tolerated Kyrgios constantly shouting f-bombs. Warn him right away and nip it in the bud immediately.)

I didn't see the press conference. Was Kyrgios asked why he seemed almost somnambulant the first couple of sets? His feet weren't moving, he wasn't trying for shots that landed a few feet from him, he showed almost no emotion, he was relying almost exclusively on his serve -- which was so good that it let him win one of the sets and almost win the other. Was he preserving energy because he expected a long match? Was he purposely trying to show no emotion because he wanted to see if he could? What happened to make him flip the switch to become Nick Kyrgios again? It was a weird match from that standpoint.

For most of the match, I was watching the World Feed, with Ted Robinson and Jimmy Arias announcing. (I was having some technical problems with the main ESPN feed for awhile.) Arias thinks Kyrgios might be the most talented men's tennis player in the world, and he said that if Kyrgios were more "engaged" last night "he beats Khachanov 6-3, 6-3, 6-3."

I don't know about that. Like you, I thought Khachanov was darn good most of the night, especially at many of the key junctures in the match. He responded to just about everything Kyrgios threw at him, and really kept his cool when Kyrgios was starting to get more animated and engaged (and the crowd got going).

Definitely an entertaining last 2 1/2 sets after Kyrgios flipped the switch. Kudos to Khachanov.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1257 on: September 07, 2022, 09:43:44 AM »
I didn't care that Kyrgios threw his racquet during the match. Lots of players do that, the umpire warned him, and everybody moved on. After he lost, as Khachanov was waving to the crowd, slamming his racquet several times ... it was like something a 3-year-old would do. (Not really related, but ... I'm not sure why the umpire tolerated Kyrgios constantly shouting f-bombs. Warn him right away and nip it in the bud immediately.)

I didn't see the press conference. Was Kyrgios asked why he seemed almost somnambulant the first couple of sets? His feet weren't moving, he wasn't trying for shots that landed a few feet from him, he showed almost no emotion, he was relying almost exclusively on his serve -- which was so good that it let him win one of the sets and almost win the other. Was he preserving energy because he expected a long match? Was he purposely trying to show no emotion because he wanted to see if he could? What happened to make him flip the switch to become Nick Kyrgios again? It was a weird match from that standpoint.

For most of the match, I was watching the World Feed, with Ted Robinson and Jimmy Arias announcing. (I was having some technical problems with the main ESPN feed for awhile.) Arias thinks Kyrgios might be the most talented men's tennis player in the world, and he said that if Kyrgios were more "engaged" last night "he beats Khachanov 6-3, 6-3, 6-3."

I don't know about that. Like you, I thought Khachanov was darn good most of the night, especially at many of the key junctures in the match. He responded to just about everything Kyrgios threw at him, and really kept his cool when Kyrgios was starting to get more animated and engaged (and the crowd got going).

Definitely an entertaining last 2 1/2 sets after Kyrgios flipped the switch. Kudos to Khachanov.

Yea I saw the outburst after the match, but it doesn't really faze me much.  He just lost a huge 5 set marathon in which he kept it mostly together, it was an emotional dump.  He didn't scream at the ump, he left the court fairly subdued after that.  He should be better than that, but it is what it is.  I would say the same thing about any other player that did it.  Provided it remained personal and not at the expense of others.

The F bombs are interesting, cause I think its a judgement call.  Especially if its not being directed at the ump, his opponent, or random fans.  Its his motivational method, to an extent, YMMV on how much its tolerated.

As for the presser, he said he didn't feel great physically to start the match, his knee was bothering him but he felt great physically as the match progressed and he warmed up.  Was really complimentary of Khachanov, dismissed questions about being bothered or distracted by crowd noise or catcalls saying it was unimportant, but then ended with feeling like he let people down and how devastated and heartbroken he was for everyone that supported and is behind him.  It was very honest and revealing.

I get all the criticism and distaste about him, plenty of it totally justified, but the evolution of Kyrgios the last 3-4 months, provided it continues, is fascinating.  You contrast his on the court explosiveness with the honest he showed there and its just interesting.  I thought the anecdotes from Coco Gauff a few days ago about how generous and open he was with time for her when she was younger just kind of further deepens the dichotomy and enigma of Kyrgios.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1258 on: September 07, 2022, 10:44:30 AM »
"Enigma" is a good word for him, Wags. Thanks for the info on the presser, especially with details about his knee. That might explain some things about the way the match started and then progressed ... though maybe not all of it as far as going from no emotion to full Kyrgios.

Fair enough about the racquet slamming at the end. Personally, I'd prefer that the other player get his "day in the sun" instead of it being all about Nick, but I get it.
I have no problem with a jock letting an f-bomb or 3 slip out. That's what happens in competition. But it went on all night, and many umps wouldn't have tolerated it. As you say, YMMV.

I'm not happy he lost. I'm not sorry he lost. But it will be less entertaining without him from here on out, although Alcaraz and Tiafoe are pretty entertaining in their own way.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1259 on: September 07, 2022, 11:46:10 AM »
"Enigma" is a good word for him, Wags. Thanks for the info on the presser, especially with details about his knee. That might explain some things about the way the match started and then progressed ... though maybe not all of it as far as going from no emotion to full Kyrgios.

Fair enough about the racquet slamming at the end. Personally, I'd prefer that the other player get his "day in the sun" instead of it being all about Nick, but I get it.
I have no problem with a jock letting an f-bomb or 3 slip out. That's what happens in competition. But it went on all night, and many umps wouldn't have tolerated it. As you say, YMMV.

I'm not happy he lost. I'm not sorry he lost. But it will be less entertaining without him from here on out, although Alcaraz and Tiafoe are pretty entertaining in their own way.

I'm happy he lost and simply disagree with JWags.  Now he does deserve credit for better focus and his recent overall training and competitiveness.  But you hit the nail on the head:  everything has to be about Nick.  I've never seen a guy, with unlimited talent, self-implode and seek attention over essentially nothing, time and time again.  His game is what's entertaining, not his constant tantrums and antics. 

This is a guy who has seemingly dedicated himself more to the game in recent months.  Good for him.  But it does not change the fact that his acts like a clown constantly.  I also don’t buy that his antics motivate him to play better.  If Nick dedicated himself and just played tennis he would likely have multiple majors by now.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1260 on: September 07, 2022, 12:44:55 PM »
I'm happy he lost and simply disagree with JWags.  Now he does deserve credit for better focus and his recent overall training and competitiveness.  But you hit the nail on the head:  everything has to be about Nick.  I've never seen a guy, with unlimited talent, self-implode and seek attention over essentially nothing, time and time again.  His game is what's entertaining, not his constant tantrums and antics. 

This is a guy who has seemingly dedicated himself more to the game in recent months.  Good for him.  But it does not change the fact that his acts like a clown constantly.  I also don’t buy that his antics motivate him to play better.  If Nick dedicated himself and just played tennis he would likely have multiple majors by now.

Hard to argue with a lot of that, Muggs. I found myself rooting for Khachanov because he was a decided underdog playing on the "road" and because he handled everything with class and professionalism. But I do enjoy watching Kyrgios -- talent, antics and all.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1261 on: September 07, 2022, 12:54:04 PM »
Hard to argue with a lot of that, Muggs. I found myself rooting for Khachanov because he was a decided underdog playing on the "road" and because he handled everything with class and professionalism. But I do enjoy watching Kyrgios -- talent, antics and all.

Well hopefully Tiafoe, Alcaraz, and Pegula come through today.  Frankly anything can happen in all three of these matched.  Tiafoe getting to the semis would be huge.  I'm concerned a bit with Alcaraz after that match on Monday night.  It would be great for tennis if Tiafoe or Alcaraz find a way to get the title. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1262 on: September 07, 2022, 12:59:25 PM »
Well hopefully Tiafoe, Alcaraz, and Pegula come through today.  Frankly anything can happen in all three of these matched.  Tiafoe getting to the semis would be huge.  I'm concerned a bit with Alcaraz after that match on Monday night.  It would be great for tennis if Tiafoe or Alcaraz find a way to get the title.

Yep, I'm rooting for a Tiafoe-Alcaraz semifinal, that's for sure.

I like the way Swiatek plays, so now that Coco is out I'm pulling for her.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1263 on: September 07, 2022, 04:15:27 PM »
Oh.....yes. I see Tiafoe took care of business in straights.  Huge, huge, win for the young man.  HIs family story is pretty cool as well.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1264 on: September 07, 2022, 04:24:44 PM »
Oh.....yes. I see Tiafoe took care of business in straights.  Huge, huge, win for the young man.  HIs family story is pretty cool as well.

Depending on who wins, he'll be three or five years older than his semifinal opponent. In my opinion, he's less talented than both Alcaraz and Sinner, but he has a legitimate shot against either of them and then against Rudd or Khachanov if he pulls it off. Looking forward to Friday. Should be a lot of fun.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1265 on: September 07, 2022, 05:55:57 PM »
One down, one to go. Come on, Alcaraz!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1266 on: September 07, 2022, 06:12:00 PM »
Depending on who wins, he'll be three or five years older than his semifinal opponent. In my opinion, he's less talented than both Alcaraz and Sinner, but he has a legitimate shot against either of them and then against Rudd or Khachanov if he pulls it off. Looking forward to Friday. Should be a lot of fun.

I hear you and I hope you're right.  My gut feeling is the winner of Alcaraz/Sinner will win this thing.  Sinner has really impressed me in a number of matches.  Anything can happen though.  I never thought Casper Rudd would roll to the semis on this surface. 
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 06:34:07 PM by MuggsyB »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1267 on: September 07, 2022, 09:16:20 PM »
It would be a lot of fun to be able to thump forehands like these guys. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1268 on: September 07, 2022, 10:25:44 PM »
OMG!  Did you just see that from Alcaraz?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1269 on: September 07, 2022, 10:28:41 PM »
Some serious drama in the 2nd set. 

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1270 on: September 08, 2022, 01:59:20 AM »
The match of the year - 2022!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1271 on: September 08, 2022, 07:33:53 AM »
The match of the year - 2022!

Absolutely incredible stuff.  That level of tennis was off the charts.  Props to both guys.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1272 on: September 08, 2022, 08:56:06 AM »
1. That was one of the best tennis matches I have ever seen. Incredible shot-making, athleticism, endurance, clutch plays.

2. If there are 10 better athletes in the world than Carlos Alcaraz, I'd love to know who they are. That was 5+ hours of non-stop running, and he still had plenty of juice at the end. And as if the running weren't enough, amidst it all he showed an amazing combination of power and touch and creativity and panache. Relentless. Kind of a combo of a young Rafa and a young Becker. How the hell good is this kid gonna be when he gets even better at positioning himself, setting himself up, picking his spots, etc?

3. The thing about Alcaraz's behind-the-back shot was that he needed to do it. And as the crowd went wild, he stayed calm and went on to win the point. This wasn't some gratuitous between-the-legs shot in a one-sided match just to impress the crowd. This was an important play on an important point. Wow. (https://twitter.com/usopen/status/1567716207142514688?s=20&t=3QVNTeBPM5k1JMTZwp7-vA&source=pulsenewsletter&campaign=5003146)

4. Plaudits for Sinner. He had a chance to win and couldn't quite get it done, but he also had several chances to lose and kept pulling himself out of the fire. He was brilliant in both tiebreaks. So many clutch serves. Ultimately, I think he finally ran out of steam against the most relentless player in the world.

5. Is Alcaraz-Sinner the next Nadal-Djokovic?

6. Can't wait for Alcaraz-Tiafoe. Rest up, young man!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1273 on: September 08, 2022, 09:42:25 AM »
1. That was one of the best tennis matches I have ever seen. Incredible shot-making, athleticism, endurance, clutch plays.

2. If there are 10 better athletes in the world than Carlos Alcaraz, I'd love to know who they are. That was 5+ hours of non-stop running, and he still had plenty of juice at the end. And as if the running weren't enough, amidst it all he showed an amazing combination of power and touch and creativity and panache. Relentless. Kind of a combo of a young Rafa and a young Becker. How the hell good is this kid gonna be when he gets even better at positioning himself, setting himself up, picking his spots, etc?

3. The thing about Alcaraz's behind-the-back shot was that he needed to do it. And as the crowd went wild, he stayed calm and went on to win the point. This wasn't some gratuitous between-the-legs shot in a one-sided match just to impress the crowd. This was an important play on an important point. Wow. (https://twitter.com/usopen/status/1567716207142514688?s=20&t=3QVNTeBPM5k1JMTZwp7-vA&source=pulsenewsletter&campaign=5003146)

4. Plaudits for Sinner. He had a chance to win and couldn't quite get it done, but he also had several chances to lose and kept pulling himself out of the fire. He was brilliant in both tiebreaks. So many clutch serves. Ultimately, I think he finally ran out of steam against the most relentless player in the world.

5. Is Alcaraz-Sinner the next Nadal-Djokovic?

6. Can't wait for Alcaraz-Tiafoe. Rest up, young man!

That's 100% correct on the behind the back shot.  This was not running back for a lob on a early point in the match and going between the legs.  He had no other option.  And then to follow that with a whipping backhand/cross-court pass was phenomenal as well. 

The resilency of both players was truly extraordinary.  Sinner's serve ultimately let him down but there were stetches of this match where it's not conceivable to play better tennis.  He was painting lines like Novak shot free throws. 

It was also nice to see no theatrics, fake time-outs, racket throwing, vulgar shouting for no reason, and constant whining and asinine behavior.   These guys brought it and gave 100% for 5+ hours on every single point.  If this is the future we're in good hands.  These are great kids and tremendous competitors. 

Hopefully Alcaraz has something left in the tank.  As far as his speed/quicks?  World class.  I believe he is a better mover than anyone I have seen including Djoker or Nadal in their prime.  Obviously they and Borg are in the discussion but some of the balls he chases down are beyond ridiculous.  I mean there were at least three points where he fell to the ground, got up, and still ran the shot down. 

It's super exciting to see what these two will do the next 10 years and that was a true privilege to watch.  This is why I love tennis.  Nothing like an epic match played at that level. 
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 09:45:27 AM by MuggsyB »

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #1274 on: September 08, 2022, 12:43:36 PM »
He slides as far on hard court as i ever did on clay. Insanely quick.

feedback