collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Tennis  (Read 114327 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: Tennis
« Reply #1200 on: September 04, 2022, 08:41:46 AM »
Rafa was the best "mover" I've ever seen, and yes, Alcaraz reminds me of him at that age. It's fun to look at that kind of thing and make projections about a career, but we'll see if Alcaraz can have 1/10th the career that Nadal and Djokovic have had. I hope so - tennis needs young stars and he has a very enjoyable-to-watch game and personality.

Agree about the Medvedev/Kyrgios winner being the favorite - definitely if it's the former and probably if it's the latter.

I'm not saying he'll have close to their careers but you can see his talent.  Now, Medvy also moves incredibly well and is 6'6 as is Zverev.   I'm just excited about the potential of this kid because it would not surprise me if he takes over the sport in a few years.  He has a great opportunity right now with Djoker and Zverev out of the draw and with Rafa not near healthy.  We all know how important the intangibles and mental focus is in tennis.  It takes more than sheer talent.  But Alcaraz has all the goods and appears to have that it factor.  I'm also impressed with Sinner. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1201 on: September 04, 2022, 09:26:12 AM »
A few fun facts on Serena from The Athletic:

++ She beat a player born in each year from 1966 to 2001 (35 years), and then one born in 2003 for good measure.

++ She reached a grand-slam semifinal in four separate decades.

++ 6-1 was a more frequent set scoreline in her favor than 6-4 and she won more bagel (6-0) sets than tiebreaks.

++ She won 68 percent of her matches in straight sets. She has a career 85 percent win percentage.

++ She beat 306 players from 50 different countries.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1202 on: September 04, 2022, 05:17:09 PM »
Super high quality from Coco Gauff and Zhang Shuai. 7-5, 7-6 for Coco. (similar to score in their Miami matcb). Shuai likes rhe fast hard courts. 33 winners, 72% first serve. Really well played from both.

Guaff gets the WTA Tour's best player the past few months in her next round, Caro Garcia. Garcia has won 12 straight matches, and titles on 3 different surfaces this Summer, including Cincinnati. Will be lots of aggressive inside the baseline play from Garcia.

Another electric fun atmosphere in Queens.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1203 on: September 04, 2022, 07:22:53 PM »
Heck of a 1st set and tiebreaker between Kyrgios/Medvedev.  Wow.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1204 on: September 04, 2022, 07:25:21 PM »
Kyrgios ready ta pop a gasket, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1205 on: September 04, 2022, 07:26:59 PM »
Kyrgios ready ta pop a gasket, hey?

I have no idea why he threw his racket twice.  Then he comes up with this insane dropshot at 11-11 and wins the set (13-11).  Medvy in 5?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1206 on: September 04, 2022, 07:34:52 PM »
Well itz obviously Yonex's fault he fooked up, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1207 on: September 04, 2022, 07:47:19 PM »
Well itz obviously Yonex's fault he fooked up, aina?

Do you think he's insane?  I'm never quite sure.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1208 on: September 04, 2022, 07:52:07 PM »
Nah, he's just fookin' nutz, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1209 on: September 04, 2022, 07:59:36 PM »
Nah, he's just fookin' nutz, hey?

Lol.  Fair enough.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1210 on: September 04, 2022, 08:56:27 PM »
I have no idea why he threw his racket twice.  Then he comes up with this insane dropshot at 11-11 and wins the set (13-11).  Medvy in 5?

It’s how he motivates himself.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1211 on: September 04, 2022, 09:06:39 PM »
Medvy hasn't played well but Kyrgios is controlling all the points and thumping serves. He's also played a very good match tactically.  If he plays at this level he is the favorite to win it imo. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1212 on: September 04, 2022, 09:11:31 PM »
It’s how he motivates himself.

Jockey, until recently he was displaying these antics and it wasn't helping him win matches at all.  I think he'd be fine if he just played tennis. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1213 on: September 05, 2022, 09:29:09 AM »
Jockey, until recently he was displaying these antics and it wasn't helping him win matches at all.  I think he'd be fine if he just played tennis.

Its kind of silly to tell a professional athlete how to motivate themselves or get themselves amped up.  He has a unique personality and does what works for him.  He may not have majors, but he's still won 7 tourneys as a pro, made QFs, and been a top 50 player most of his career.  I think its helped him win plenty of matches.  He's far from the only top player to throw a racket repeatedly.

Last night was kind of terrifying if you're a Kyrgios hater.  Multiple times during that first tiebreak he looked like he was going to implode, and instead he hit laser serves and INSANE drop shots.  Then in the 3rd and 4th set he was just a killer.  Absolutely crazy how much he has had Medvedev's number recently.  He's just so electric when he's dialed in.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1214 on: September 05, 2022, 09:39:33 AM »
Its kind of silly to tell a professional athlete how to motivate themselves or get themselves amped up.  He has a unique personality and does what works for him.  He may not have majors, but he's still won 7 tourneys as a pro, made QFs, and been a top 50 player most of his career.  I think its helped him win plenty of matches.  He's far from the only top player to throw a racket repeatedly.

Last night was kind of terrifying if you're a Kyrgios hater.  Multiple times during that first tiebreak he looked like he was going to implode, and instead he hit laser serves and INSANE drop shots.  Then in the 3rd and 4th set he was just a killer.  Absoluftely crazy how much he has had Medvedev's number recently.  He's just so electric when he's dialed in.

He has had very little success before this year at the USOpen.  But to your point he played at a level last night that is scary for the remaining players in the draw.  And you're right, it's not just his serve which he popped at a 70% rate in the last set.  He was tactically excellent and very consistent in the baseline rallies.  What was most impressive is he served and volleyed when Medvy stayed way back and didn't necessarily go for KABOOM serves in this scenario.  He also attacked the 2nd serve with tremendous precision off of his backhand wing.   The bottom line is if he can maintain that level he's going to be extremely difficult to beat. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1215 on: September 05, 2022, 10:47:03 AM »

Last night was kind of terrifying if you're a Kyrgios hater.  Multiple times during that first tiebreak he looked like he was going to implode, and instead he hit laser serves and INSANE drop shots.  Then in the 3rd and 4th set he was just a killer.  Absolutely crazy how much he has had Medvedev's number recently.  He's just so electric when he's dialed in.

I remember you and I had a Kyrgios discussion earlier this year and we both agreed that he has a ton of talent and all the shots. Something definitely seems to have clicked for him. In his post-match interview, he talked about training hard; maybe he's finally starting to take his career seriously?

The only thing he did yesterday that was really stupid IMHO was smash the ball against the back wall; had it gone about 3 feet higher, he'd have been DQ'd and we'd be talking right now about what an idiot he is. The other stuff he did was just dopey; the racing to the wrong side of the net to play that one shot was even oddly endearing.

In many ways, he's just a modern-day version of McEnroe. I really, really like McEnroe as an announcer, but it's pretty funny to hear him criticize Kyrgios for antics similar to those he employed himself way back when. All I can think is, "You've GOT to be kidding me!"

Kyrgios isn't my cup of tea. I prefer the ultimate class that a guy like Rafa plays with -- and has won 22 majors with. But I I'm not a "Kyrgios hater." He certainly makes tennis more interesting.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1216 on: September 05, 2022, 11:36:43 AM »
I remember you and I had a Kyrgios discussion earlier this year and we both agreed that he has a ton of talent and all the shots. Something definitely seems to have clicked for him. In his post-match interview, he talked about training hard; maybe he's finally starting to take his career seriously?

The only thing he did yesterday that was really stupid IMHO was smash the ball against the back wall; had it gone about 3 feet higher, he'd have been DQ'd and we'd be talking right now about what an idiot he is. The other stuff he did was just dopey; the racing to the wrong side of the net to play that one shot was even oddly endearing.

In many ways, he's just a modern-day version of McEnroe. I really, really like McEnroe as an announcer, but it's pretty funny to hear him criticize Kyrgios for antics similar to those he employed himself way back when. All I can think is, "You've GOT to be kidding me!"

Kyrgios isn't my cup of tea. I prefer the ultimate class that a guy like Rafa plays with -- and has won 22 majors with. But I I'm not a "Kyrgios hater." He certainly makes tennis more interesting.

I'm not a fan of the guy but he's always had the talent. He does deserve credit for being much more engaged and trying to get better.  His game is certainly fun to watch. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1217 on: September 05, 2022, 12:58:46 PM »

The wall shot I agree was dumb.  But otherwise I'm with you.  I don't condone all his outbursts, and, as someone who loves his game, its really frustrating to see him get rattled and give away points/games as a result.   That being said, there is a refreshing aspect to how unfiltered he is.  I personally loved him asking Kokkinakis for input on where to place serves.  I loved him sheepishly admitting he didn't realize the net shot was illegal.  Its entertaining and a different element.

I get why tennis traditionalists get annoyed by it, but as someone who loves the NBA (and knowing how much Kyrgios loves the NBA), I find his constant chirping to be amusing.  Verbal abuse of umpires withstanding, its part of the game.  He broke Medvedev in the 4th and walking to the sideline was shaking his head and saying "you're too soft" across the net.  Thats vintage Kobe.  Also, ironic that Medvedev clearly struggles with Kyrgios and his chatter when he has a reputation as a talker too.

I said after Wimbledon, its either a flash in the pan, or "I can do this sh**" Eureka moment where he starts to gain a bit of consistency.  If he gets past KK in the quarters, Beretinni or Ruud would be really fun against him in the Semis.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1218 on: September 05, 2022, 01:28:41 PM »

McEnroe was very similar. They need to do it for the adrenaline rush.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1219 on: September 05, 2022, 01:33:38 PM »
Pegula just pummeled Kvitova.  It seems to me all 3 American women are on top of their games and have a great chance.  Gauff has a tremendous opportunity in particular. 
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 02:20:01 PM by MuggsyB »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1220 on: September 05, 2022, 02:06:42 PM »
Nadal does not look sharp early. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1221 on: September 05, 2022, 02:11:55 PM »
Nadal does not look sharp early.

Definitely nowhere near 100% healthy. No juice on his serve and his ground strokes aren’t sharp. It will be an incredible feat to win this match.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1222 on: September 05, 2022, 02:21:54 PM »
Definitely nowhere near 100% healthy. No juice on his serve and his ground strokes aren’t sharp. It will be an incredible feat to win this match.

Exactly right.  No zip at all on his serve. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1223 on: September 05, 2022, 02:31:15 PM »
Exactly right.  No zip at all on his serve.

The announcers are giving Tiafoe credit for “defending his second serve,” but Rafa has flat missed numerous opportunities to take advantage of second serves.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1224 on: September 05, 2022, 02:38:07 PM »
The announcers are giving Tiafoe credit for “defending his second serve,” but Rafa has flat missed numerous opportunities to take advantage of second serves.

Couldn't agree more.  Fowler also has a tendency with tennis to ramble without making logical points.  Often early in matches when there is a feeling out process.  Tiafoe is not doing anything different than normal to "defend his 2nd serve". 

feedback