collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Tennis  (Read 114341 times)

lawdog77

• All American
Re: Tennis
« Reply #1050 on: July 05, 2022, 03:15:10 PM »
Hoping my guy, Rajeev Ram, gets another Major. Into the quarters.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1051 on: July 05, 2022, 03:52:36 PM »
I haven't gotten a chance to watch Fritz much so perhaps I'm underestimating him.  Based on my calculations Rafa has a 33.7% chance to beat Djoker at Wimbledon.  Kyrgios 11.3%, Norrie 2.2%.  :)

As a big Rafa fan, I’m not sure I see him having more than a 10% chance against Djokovic on grass. Their last final at Wimbledon wasn’t all that close. I think Djokovic would need to bring his “C” game.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1052 on: July 05, 2022, 04:35:49 PM »
I'm trying to talk myself into Fritz tomorrow. He hasn't lost a set all tournament. He did beat Rafa in their last head to head but Rafa was pretty banged up.

Fritz has a lot going for him right now. He's playing great. But I can't fully get there.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1053 on: July 05, 2022, 06:26:22 PM »
As a big Rafa fan, I’m not sure I see him having more than a 10% chance against Djokovic on grass. Their last final at Wimbledon wasn’t all that close. I think Djokovic would need to bring his “C” game.

I'll admit I'm very biased towards Rafa.  Although I do think he has more than a 10% chance.  He's played quite well Cheebs the last few rounds.  No doubt Novak has the advantage and his best on grass beats Rafa's best.  That said I think we should cut our differences and agree that if it's a Rafa vs Djoker Final Djoker's B game will lose to Rafa's A game?

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1054 on: July 05, 2022, 08:37:35 PM »
I'll admit I'm very biased towards Rafa.  Although I do think he has more than a 10% chance.  He's played quite well Cheebs the last few rounds.  No doubt Novak has the advantage and his best on grass beats Rafa's best.  That said I think we should cut our differences and agree that if it's a Rafa vs Djoker Final Djoker's B game will lose to Rafa's A game?

You’ve been watching closer than I have, so you have a better read. Just looking at scores, it doesn’t look like Djokovic has been dominant. So I would agree with that.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1055 on: July 05, 2022, 10:36:01 PM »
You’ve been watching closer than I have, so you have a better read. Just looking at scores, it doesn’t look like Djokovic has been dominant. So I would agree with that.

Djokovic dropped a single set total through 3 matches before Sinner pushed him.  And once he took control in the 3rd, he was utterly dominant.

I'm actually not sure of that.  You know when the last time Nadal beat Djokovic on a non-clay surface?  2013.  Grass is a place where Novak thrives, as evidenced by making at least the QFs 11 out of his last 12 tournaments at Wimbledon, and a surface that is easily Rafa's weakest.

In the last 10 years, Djokovic is 10-2 vs Nadal on grass/hard surface.  That doesn't bode well from Rafa if they meet in a final.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1056 on: July 05, 2022, 11:14:36 PM »
Djokovic dropped a single set total through 3 matches before Sinner pushed him.  And once he took control in the 3rd, he was utterly dominant.

I'm actually not sure of that.  You know when the last time Nadal beat Djokovic on a non-clay surface?  2013.  Grass is a place where Novak thrives, as evidenced by making at least the QFs 11 out of his last 12 tournaments at Wimbledon, and a surface that is easily Rafa's weakest.

In the last 10 years, Djokovic is 10-2 vs Nadal on grass/hard surface.  That doesn't bode well from Rafa if they meet in a final.

They have very few matches on grass or a hardcourt the last 5 yrs. 

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1057 on: July 06, 2022, 09:22:44 AM »

That’s fair. I haven’t really watched, but just tracked scores. In some cases he hasn’t dropped a set at this point, so that was my thought regarding being less dominant. I still think he’s the overwhelming favorite.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1058 on: July 06, 2022, 09:48:29 AM »
Nadal is in big trouble.  Give Fritz a lot of credit.  The young man has worked hard on his game and is just solid all over the court.  Rafa is a little off but Fritz is not allowing him to control the points and hitting his spots on his serve.  Rafa needs to dig in right now. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1059 on: July 06, 2022, 09:52:02 AM »
They have very few matches on grass or a hardcourt the last 5 yrs.

It doesn't matter what time frame you choose.  Nadal hasn't held a candle to Djokovic off of clay since they were both in their early/mid 20s.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1060 on: July 06, 2022, 09:52:59 AM »
Nadal is in big trouble.  Give Fritz a lot of credit.  The young man has worked hard on his game and is just solid all over the court.  Rafa is a little off but Fritz is not allowing him to control the points and hitting his spots on his serve.  Rafa needs to dig in right now.

I don't think he's in big trouble yet, but definitely a great first set from Fritz. We'll see if he can maintain as Rafa adjusts.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1061 on: July 06, 2022, 09:55:46 AM »
I don't think he's in big trouble yet, but definitely a great first set from Fritz. We'll see if he can maintain as Rafa adjusts.

I was a bit hyperbolic but Rafe needs to get it together.  :)

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1062 on: July 06, 2022, 09:59:23 AM »
It doesn't matter what time frame you choose.  Nadal hasn't held a candle to Djokovic off of clay since they were both in their early/mid 20s.

I would differentiate grass from a hardcourt.  He's 1-2 vs Djoker at Wimbledon including a 10-8 in the 5th loss in 2018.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1063 on: July 06, 2022, 10:23:11 AM »
Ughhh.  Rafa has an abdominal problem. Smh. 

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1064 on: July 06, 2022, 10:30:28 AM »
Random fact. Three of the four men playing today Nadal, Kyrgios, and Garin  are listed at 187 pounds on ESPN.

Oh, and Ram onto the semis!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1065 on: July 06, 2022, 10:30:54 AM »
Terrible.  He looked fine early in the match.  Well,  have a good day everyone. 

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1066 on: July 06, 2022, 10:33:02 AM »
Terrible.  He looked fine early in the match.  Well,  have a good day everyone.

If he can pull out this set and then the meds kick in, he's got a shot. Important for Fritz to take the 2nd.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1067 on: July 06, 2022, 10:35:41 AM »
If he can pull out this set and then the meds kick in, he's got a shot. Important for Fritz to take the 2nd.

I hope you're right.  Anyway, I'll miss it.
:(   Hopefully you can will Rafa to a victory.  :)

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1068 on: July 06, 2022, 10:37:10 AM »
I hope you're right.  Anyway, I'll miss it.
:(   Hopefully you can will Rafa to a victory.  :)

I'd prefer Fritz wins but I'll be cheering for Rafa going forward if he can pull it out.

Edit: Rafa seems to be moving just fine now. It's only the serve that doesn't look right.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 10:39:38 AM by BM1090 »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1069 on: July 06, 2022, 10:41:31 AM »
Im too young to have seen McEnroe, but I wonder how similar he and Kyrgios are on court.  Cause I know all the negatives against him but my god I LOVE watching him play when he's on

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1070 on: July 06, 2022, 10:43:33 AM »
Im too young to have seen McEnroe, but I wonder how similar he and Kyrgios are on court.  Cause I know all the negatives against him but my god I LOVE watching him play when he's on

I really hate that Kyrgios has the domestic violence thing going on, becuase otherwise I LOVE his villain persona.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1071 on: July 06, 2022, 10:50:06 AM »
Fritz is rattled and Nadal is playing great.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1072 on: July 06, 2022, 10:53:48 AM »

I would say FOR HIS TIME McEnroe was like Kyrgios is now.  But if judged side-by-side, McEnroe wasn't nearly the "bad boy" that Kyrgios is.

McEnroe was a very popular player in his era. A brash, but "common man" type aura about him.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1073 on: July 06, 2022, 10:57:16 AM »
I really hate that Kyrgios has the domestic violence thing going on, becuase otherwise I LOVE his villain persona.

The timing is weird.  Not meant to be victim shaming, but its just sort of odd.  Its the same Ex that went HAM on social media when they broke up, so who knows.  He doesn't have a history of it.  Almost all of his black marks are related to on court/in sport stuff.

But otherwise, I agree.  He's nothing if not authentic.  And it balances so interestingly cause off the court he's fairly charitable and kind of an interesting cat.  His favorite athlete I believe is KG, which kind of matches with that.

I would say FOR HIS TIME McEnroe was like Kyrgios is now.  But if judged side-by-side, McEnroe wasn't nearly the "bad boy" that Kyrgios is.

McEnroe was a very popular player in his era. A brash, but "common man" type aura about him.

Thanks, makes sense.  I do wonder if social media and mics/cameras were everywhere in the late 70s/early 80s how it would have matched up.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1074 on: July 06, 2022, 11:21:33 AM »
But otherwise, I agree.  He's nothing if not authentic.  And it balances so interestingly cause off the court he's fairly charitable and kind of an interesting cat.  His favorite athlete I believe is KG, which kind of matches with that.

I didn't know the KG thing, but that 10000% tracks.  Rooting interests for Americans aside, I really want to see a Kyrgios-Djokovic final where Kyrgios decides going in that he has to get in Joker's head. I could see that being an absolute riot.