collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Tennis  (Read 114363 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Tennis
« Reply #975 on: June 05, 2022, 09:56:17 AM »
Turn out the lights …

Paul Ruud has as good a chance to win this match as the #8 seed does.

What a display of shotmaking by the King of Clay!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #976 on: June 05, 2022, 10:02:53 AM »
Turn out the lights …

Paul Ruud has as good a chance to win this match as the #8 seed does.

What a display of shotmaking by the King of Clay!

He decided to kick it up a bit to end the 2nd.  :)

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #977 on: June 05, 2022, 10:06:21 AM »
Imagine being one of the best clay courters in the world right now and having no chance against a 36 yr old battling all sorts of injuries?  Nadal = Legend.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #978 on: June 05, 2022, 10:10:41 AM »
Imagine being one of the best clay courters in the world right now and having no chance against a 36 yr old battling all sorts of injuries?  Nadal = Legend.

McEnroe just had a good line, something like: “Ruud is discouraged and he’s gotta overcome that …. (pause for emphasis) … for the next 3 hours.”

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #979 on: June 05, 2022, 10:16:01 AM »
McEnroe just had a good line, something like: “Ruud is discouraged and he’s gotta overcome that …. (pause for emphasis) … for the next 3 hours.”

LOL.  Not that it would have mattered but I think you have to play more aggressively to have any chance vs Rafa.  Zverev did that quite well on Fri. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #980 on: June 05, 2022, 10:21:48 AM »
He decided to kick it up a bit to end the 2nd.  :)

I had to do some yard work this morning before it got too hot here, and I didn’t get to tune in until it was 6-3, 1-3.

So I haven’t seen Rafa lose a game yet. Ruud’s toast … but Rafa’s still been brilliant.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #981 on: June 05, 2022, 10:24:27 AM »
Focus Rafa.  Inexcusable backhand unforced error!!  :)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #982 on: June 05, 2022, 10:31:07 AM »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #983 on: June 05, 2022, 10:32:04 AM »

112-3

:)

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #984 on: June 05, 2022, 10:40:43 AM »
I had to do some yard work this morning before it got too hot here, and I didn’t get to tune in until it was 6-3, 1-3.

So I haven’t seen Rafa lose a game yet. Ruud’s toast … but Rafa’s still been brilliant.

McEnroe before the match said something like:  "Other than maybe his first serve, there isn't a single thing Rudd does on the court better than Nadal."  Ouch.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #985 on: June 05, 2022, 11:11:52 AM »
You've touched on this in the past, Muggs, but the enormity of what Nadal has accomplished is really almost impossible to fathom.

What individual-sport athlete has accomplished more? Certainly not Tiger. Maybe Michael Phelps?

I can't "prove" that Rafa is the greatest individual-sport athlete ever -- and a top-10 athlete ever, period -- but it sure wouldn't be easy to convince me that somebody else deserves such an accolade.

And you know what? By the end of January, Djokovic could have 23 majors! It's mind-boggling that tennis fans have gotten to enjoy watching three athletes of this magnitude in their prime in one era.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #986 on: June 05, 2022, 11:37:15 AM »
You've touched on this in the past, Muggs, but the enormity of what Nadal has accomplished is really almost impossible to fathom.

What individual-sport athlete has accomplished more? Certainly not Tiger. Maybe Michael Phelps?

I can't "prove" that Rafa is the greatest individual-sport athlete ever -- and a top-10 athlete ever, period -- but it sure wouldn't be easy to convince me that somebody else deserves such an accolade.

And you know what? By the end of January, Djokovic could have 23 majors! It's mind-boggling that tennis fans have gotten to enjoy watching three athletes of this magnitude in their prime in one era.

There isn't any.  I suppose if we're talking total domination you could make a case for Ledecky in her swimming events.  Possibly Eric Heiden or Edwin Moses but I don't think you can really compare Olympic success.  It may sound crazy but we may have to look at non semi-sports like pool or chess.  Mosconi was apparently totally unbeatable and sunk 530 shots in a row in straight pool.  My contention is that Rafa's dominance on the clay and the French Open is the single greatest accomplishment in sports in my lifetime.  Hands down and with no equivocation. 

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #987 on: June 05, 2022, 11:50:41 AM »

Haha totally.  IMO, Nadal's dependence on the French Open puts him at a handicap vs Djoker and Fed, so my order right now would be Federer, Djokovic, Nadal. And at least a part of that is just how much more I like Federer than Djoker. But that is all subject to change over the next 24 months, especially if Nadal can steal another major or two outside of Roland Garros.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #988 on: June 05, 2022, 12:27:40 PM »
Haha totally.  IMO, Nadal's dependence on the French Open puts him at a handicap vs Djoker and Fed, so my order right now would be Federer, Djokovic, Nadal. And at least a part of that is just how much more I like Federer than Djoker. But that is all subject to change over the next 24 months, especially if Nadal can steal another major or two outside of Roland Garros.

I don't agree that his dominance at the French puts "him at a handicap".  Remember Fed has one French Open title and that may have been a year Rafa didn't play.

Oh wait....2009 was the year Nadal lost to Soderling in the 4th round.  Anyway, Roger has 1 F-Open, Djoker has 2.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 12:31:31 PM by MuggsyB »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #989 on: June 05, 2022, 12:56:32 PM »

Nadal is 24-16 head-to-head against Federer, including 10-4 in majors; Rafa dominated Roger on clay, of course, but also is 8-6 against Roger on outdoor hard courts. Djokovic has a slim 30-29 edge on Nadal head-to-head, but Rafa has the 11-7 advantage in majors. Rafa and Djokovic are the only two players in the open era to win each major at least twice.

So we'll agree to disagree about the "dependence" and the "handicap." Rafa's record speaks for itself.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #990 on: June 05, 2022, 01:32:38 PM »
I’m not sure I could see Federer ahead of Nadal anymore. I think Federer’s level of competition was far less than Rafa’s/Novak’s. Federer has “only” won 5 majors since 2009. Which is about the time Nadal started being a threat on other surfaces and Novak entered his prime.

I’m mostly shocked at Rafa’s longevity. I remember early in his career, I thought he’d be done by the time he was 30.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #991 on: June 05, 2022, 01:43:08 PM »
I’m not sure I could see Federer ahead of Nadal anymore. I think Federer’s level of competition was far less than Rafa’s/Novak’s. Federer has “only” won 5 majors since 2009. Which is about the time Nadal started being a threat on other surfaces and Novak entered his prime.

I’m mostly shocked at Rafa’s longevity. I remember early in his career, I thought he’d be done by the time he was 30.

Those are two good points. As for the second, Nadal has been great for a long freakin' time. There were several occasions where it looked like injuries - or even age - might catch up to him. And yet here we are. And he still can make amazing shots running end to end (to end to end). The winners he hit to stay alive in the first-set tiebreaker against Zverev reminded me of shots Rafa would make when he was 20.

There isn't any.  I suppose if we're talking total domination you could make a case for Ledecky in her swimming events.  Possibly Eric Heiden or Edwin Moses but I don't think you can really compare Olympic success.  It may sound crazy but we may have to look at non semi-sports like pool or chess.  Mosconi was apparently totally unbeatable and sunk 530 shots in a row in straight pool.  My contention is that Rafa's dominance on the clay and the French Open is the single greatest accomplishment in sports in my lifetime.  Hands down and with no equivocation. 

Some good names mentioned there. Obviously, Serena's another one who needs to be mentioned, as she also excelled at an individual sport for a long, long time. She didn't have to play peers of the same quality of Djokovic and Federer, but that's not her fault.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #992 on: June 05, 2022, 02:09:58 PM »
Those are two good points. As for the second, Nadal has been great for a long freakin' time. There were several occasions where it looked like injuries - or even age - might catch up to him. And yet here we are. And he still can make amazing shots running end to end (to end to end). The winners he hit to stay alive in the first-set tiebreaker against Zverev reminded me of shots Rafa would make when he was 20.

Some good names mentioned there. Obviously, Serena's another one who needs to be mentioned, as she also excelled at an individual sport for a long, long time. She didn't have to play peers of the same quality of Djokovic and Federer, but that's not her fault.

I agree with Serena.  I think Henin held her own and I believe had a winning record against her on clay, but the level of competition really wasn't near men's tennis.  There weren't two other top 5 players ever and she absolutely owned Sharapova. 

A few other  names which should also probably be thown out there are Gretzky, Bolt, and some would put Secretariat into the mix.  Of course if we go down that road I can name a few animals that would do just fine vs Bolt and fish that would obliterate Phelps or Ledecky.  :)  Sailfish can swim 62 mph.  :)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #993 on: June 05, 2022, 09:20:37 PM »
I agree with Serena.  I think Henin held her own and I believe had a winning record against her on clay, but the level of competition really wasn't near men's tennis.  There weren't two other top 5 players ever and she absolutely owned Sharapova. 

A few other  names which should also probably be thown out there are Gretzky, Bolt, and some would put Secretariat into the mix.  Of course if we go down that road I can name a few animals that would do just fine vs Bolt and fish that would obliterate Phelps or Ledecky.  :)  Sailfish can swim 62 mph.  :)

I stuck with individual-sport athletes because it’s hard enough to pick #1 in that realm. Once we start talking about Gretzky and Jordan and Babe Freakin Ruth, it’s a whole nother conversation.

I’m comfortable saying Rafa’s record puts him in the conversation for best individual-sport athlete ever. And his domination at one venue is otherworldly.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #994 on: June 05, 2022, 09:46:26 PM »
I stuck with individual-sport athletes because it’s hard enough to pick #1 in that realm. Once we start talking about Gretzky and Jordan and Babe Freakin Ruth, it’s a whole nother conversation.

I’m comfortable saying Rafa’s record puts him in the conversation for best individual-sport athlete ever. And his domination at one venue is otherworldly.

I'm afraid Rafa may need foot surgery.  The calendar grand slam is still on the table.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #995 on: June 05, 2022, 10:01:37 PM »
I'm afraid Rafa may need foot surgery.  The calendar grand slam is still on the table.

Yeah, I guess he took an injection just so he could play today. Said he couldn’t feel his foot.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #996 on: June 06, 2022, 07:07:05 AM »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #997 on: June 06, 2022, 02:24:15 PM »

I wonder if Rafa could have been a pro soccer player or pro golfer?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #998 on: June 28, 2022, 01:01:35 PM »
VAMOS!

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #999 on: June 28, 2022, 01:57:20 PM »
Pretty good first round for the American men, especially if Cressy manages to win the 4th set vs. Auger-Aliassime.

feedback