[Today at 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[Today at 06:37:52 PM]

[Paint Touches] Love in the time of the Portal Kombat by tower912
[Today at 01:46:14 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[Today at 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Tennis  (Read 114398 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: Tennis
« Reply #900 on: May 30, 2022, 09:35:59 AM »
Everything seems to favor Djoker tomorrow.  Heavier conditions, night match.  He is apparently playing better than Rafa and has been in the court much less time.  That said I expert the crowd to be very, very, pro Rafa.  I wouldn't count Rafa out, especially on that court. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #901 on: May 30, 2022, 10:15:44 AM »
See ya Tsisipas!!  Danish teen just took him to school!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #902 on: May 30, 2022, 06:10:03 PM »
Wow....Medvy got whacked by Ciilic. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #903 on: May 30, 2022, 10:00:00 PM »
Should woulda been nice for Rafa to have been in that part of the bracket, Muggs.

But I guess he only can blame himself for not winning a little more in the events leading up to the French Open.

It's still a shame to have 2 of the 3 greatest players ever -- guys who are still winning majors -- meeting in the quarters.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #904 on: May 31, 2022, 09:32:24 AM »
New Mom Taylor Townsend won her first singles tourney event back from maternity leave, ans now she and Madison Keys are into the Semifinals of the French Open Doubles.

Newly turned 18 year old, Coco Gauff, is into the French Open Singles Semifinals with a win over Sloane Stephens, who also had a strong tourney.

Gauff and Jessie Pegula (who is still alive in the singles quarters tomorrow) will play some dubs in an hour for a spot in the doubles quarters.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #905 on: May 31, 2022, 10:01:51 AM »
Should woulda been nice for Rafa to have been in that part of the bracket, Muggs.

But I guess he only can blame himself for not winning a little more in the events leading up to the French Open.

It's still a shame to have 2 of the 3 greatest players ever -- guys who are still winning majors -- meeting in the quarters.

I think the way to get the match today MU82 is the FuboTV trial.  Unless you can get it through your cable service which I do on my phone.  .

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #906 on: May 31, 2022, 04:35:29 PM »
So I guess Djoker/Rafa have split sets and it's early in the 3rd.  Of course they have ready been playing 2.5 hrs. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #907 on: May 31, 2022, 04:56:50 PM »
VAMOS RAFA!!!  On the verge of taking the 3rd.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #908 on: May 31, 2022, 06:16:05 PM »
VAMOS!!!!!!!!!!

BAM!

HAMMER DROPPED!!

14 and 22 are still in play!

Now you know why I said I wouldn't count Rafa out! 

:)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #909 on: May 31, 2022, 07:46:29 PM »
Just watched full-match highlights on YouTube. Wow ... what a performance by Rafa!!

Had an answer to everything Djokovic did. I think Rafa only missed a couple of Djokovic's drop shots all game, but Novak kept trying 'em. And Djokovic had no answer to those amazing cross-court winners off Rafa's serve.

A little bummed that Zverev beat Alcaraz, but now Rafa will have no mixed emotions (not that he would have anyway) -- and he can take down Zverev on Thursday.

Way to go, King of Clay!!!!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #910 on: May 31, 2022, 07:59:31 PM »
Just watched full-match highlights on YouTube. Wow ... what a performance by Rafa!!

Had an answer to everything Djokovic did. I think Rafa only missed a couple of Djokovic's drop shots all game, but Novak kept trying 'em. And Djokovic had no answer to those amazing cross-court winners off Rafa's serve.

A little bummed that Zverev beat Alcaraz, but now Rafa will have no mixed emotions (not that he would have anyway) -- and he can take down Zverev on Thursday.

Way to go, King of Clay!!!!

It sounds like the Zverev/Alcaraz match was also very high quality.  Zverev certainly has the talent to win a GS.  When his serve is on he's quite dangerous.  We're talking about a 6'6 guy with power and underrated court coverage.  That said I'm thrilled Rafa will get two full days of rest.  Imao, what Rafa has done on clay, is as impressive as any sports accomplishment in history.  The possibility of him snagging 14 French Open titles is beyond normal human thought.  It's more unbreakable than a 56 game hitting streak. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #911 on: May 31, 2022, 10:08:47 PM »
It sounds like the Zverev/Alcaraz match was also very high quality.  Zverev certainly has the talent to win a GS.  When his serve is on he's quite dangerous.  We're talking about a 6'6 guy with power and underrated court coverage.  That said I'm thrilled Rafa will get two full days of rest.  Imao, what Rafa has done on clay, is as impressive as any sports accomplishment in history.  The possibility of him snagging 14 French Open titles is beyond normal human thought.  It's more unbreakable than a 56 game hitting streak.

Thanks for the correction, Muggs. Didn't realize the semis won't be till Friday but it makes sense because the other two QFs are tomorrow. Rafa turns 36 years old Friday ... it will be a great present for himself to beat Zverev.

Like you, I'd love to see Rafa take No. 14 and 22 all in one fell swoop on Sunday. What an amazing career.

And here's something else that's amazing: Even if you took away all of Rafa's French Open titles and said he "only" won 8 majors, just four players in the open era would have had more: Federer, Djokovic, Sampras and Borg.

What an incredible, consistent, dominant athlete.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #912 on: May 31, 2022, 10:29:12 PM »
Thanks for the correction, Muggs. Didn't realize the semis won't be till Friday but it makes sense because the other two QFs are tomorrow. Rafa turns 36 years old Friday ... it will be a great present for himself to beat Zverev.

Like you, I'd love to see Rafa take No. 14 and 22 all in one fell swoop on Sunday. What an amazing career.

And here's something else that's amazing: Even if you took away all of Rafa's French Open titles and said he "only" won 8 majors, just four players in the open era would have had more: Federer, Djokovic, Sampras and Borg.

What an incredible, consistent, dominant athlete.

That's correct.  But think about this for a moment:  I think he's 110-3 at the French Open.  There's really not much more  one can say but my contention is that clay is the most true tennis surface.  Wimbledon is the most important tournament but unlike the hard court or grass you can't simply overpower an opponent with the serve on clay and often endurance plays a role because the points are much longer.  I saw that one game today took nearly 19 mins.  My take is that his domimance on clay should get significantly more recognition.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #913 on: May 31, 2022, 10:39:25 PM »
That's correct.  But think about this for a moment:  I think he's 110-3 at the French Open.  There's really not much more  one can say but my contention is that clay is the most true tennis surface.  Wimbledon is the most important tournament but unlike the hard court or grass you can't simply overpower an opponent with the serve on clay and often endurance plays a role because the points are much longer.  I saw that one game today took nearly 19 mins.  My take is that his domimance on clay should get significantly more recognition.

I think Rafa gets pretty good "recognition." Most observers of the game consider him to be one of the top three men's players ever, and quite a few "experts" rate him No. 1. As a fan, I'm pretty satisfied with that level of recognition. At the end of his and Djokovic's careers, the numbers will be what they are.

And yes, his record at Roland Garros is insane. Looking forward to it being even more insane -- 112-3!!

I also really like watching events on clay, Muggs. There's so much strategy in the way Rafa or any other accomplished clay player sets up his or her opponent. Rafa was like a maestro out there today, drawing Djokovic out wide and then smashing those beautiful forehand winners.

I used to play quite a bit of tennis from my teens into my 40s, but I never got to play on clay. Have you ever played on the surface, Muggs?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #914 on: May 31, 2022, 10:56:46 PM »
I think Rafa gets pretty good "recognition." Most observers of the game consider him to be one of the top three men's players ever, and quite a few "experts" rate him No. 1. As a fan, I'm pretty satisfied with that level of recognition. At the end of his and Djokovic's careers, the numbers will be what they are.

And yes, his record at Roland Garros is insane. Looking forward to it being even more insane -- 112-3!!

I also really like watching events on clay, Muggs. There's so much strategy in the way Rafa or any other accomplished clay player sets up his or her opponent. Rafa was like a maestro out there today, drawing Djokovic out wide and then smashing those beautiful forehand winners.

I used to play quite a bit of tennis from my teens into my 40s, but I never got to play on clay. Have you ever played on the surface, Muggs?

I've played on true clay three times in Belgium but quite a bit on hard tru which is the lame American version.  I've also been fortunate to play on grass but not pro tournament quality grass.  Anyway, clay is the great equalizer because even for the pros they don't get a ton of free points on the serve.  It helps those who can run balls down and  also in particular the drop shot which was part of my game.  I believe it requires far more strategy and overall thinking on the court and rewards consistency over sheer power.   I'm also a fan of those who can hit wicked top spin which works best on clay.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #915 on: June 01, 2022, 02:46:16 PM »
All ‘Merica Women’s Doubles Semifinals at The French.

Keys/Townsend will face Gauff/Pegula.

But first Coco Gauff will play her singles semifinals tomorrow.

5 of the top 12 World players in the live 2022 WTA Singles Points Race are from ‘Merica.

Pegula, Collins, Keys, Gauff, Anisimova.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 02:48:33 PM by shoothoops »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #916 on: June 01, 2022, 03:10:26 PM »
I've played on true clay three times in Belgium but quite a bit on hard tru which is the lame American version.  I've also been fortunate to play on grass but not pro tournament quality grass.  Anyway, clay is the great equalizer because even for the pros they don't get a ton of free points on the serve.  It helps those who can run balls down and  also in particular the drop shot which was part of my game.  I believe it requires far more strategy and overall thinking on the court and rewards consistency over sheer power.   I'm also a fan of those who can hit wicked top spin which works best on clay.

Sounds fun. I know I sure like watching the French Open. It's cool when they have to run down a shot, hit the ball and then slide several feet.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #917 on: June 01, 2022, 05:13:27 PM »
Coco Gauff will get to go 2nd on Chatrier tomorrow in her singles semifinal. That’s helpful as her close doubles thriller win with Pegula went deep into the evening. The 3rd set didn’t start until close to 8pm.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #918 on: June 01, 2022, 05:20:45 PM »
Marin Colic is one match away from the French Open Final. The former U.S. Open champion can complete the accomplishment of making the finals of all 4 slam events in his career with a win. Took out Rublev in 5.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #919 on: June 01, 2022, 05:27:35 PM »
Sounds fun. I know I sure like watching the French Open. It's cool when they have to run down a shot, hit the ball and then slide several feet.

It's so much fun.  Longer rallies, the ability to cover more ground with the traction plus the slide, hitting whipping top spin shots, drop shots, and in Belgium you can't beat  a local brew after a major workout.  I miss watching Justine Henin.  Loved her versatility.and that amazing one handed  backhand. 

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #920 on: June 01, 2022, 07:37:38 PM »
Marin Colic is one match away from the French Open Final. The former U.S. Open champion can complete the accomplishment of making the finals of all 4 slam events in his career with a win. Took out Rublev in 5.

But the Davis Cup Champion, Olympic Silver Medalist, 20 title winning Cilic will have to get past World top 10, Casper Ruud, who advances to his first slam semifinal with his win over Rune.

And, Ruud used his his post match interview time of the biggest moment in his young career thus far to promote fellow Norwegian, Ulrikke Eikeri, who advanced to the Mixed Doubles Final. Well done.

https://twitter.com/rolandgarros/status/1532133127262547970?s=21&t=x0pvzku9wil-gCjCKFhmnA

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #921 on: June 01, 2022, 07:45:26 PM »
But the Davis Cup Champion, Olympic Silver Medalist, 20 title winning Cilic will have to get past World top 10, Casper Ruud, who advances to his first slam semifinal with his win over Rune.

And, Ruud used his his post match interview time of the biggest moment in his young career thus far to promote fellow Norwegian, Ulrikke Eikeri, who advanced to the Mixed Doubles Final. Well done.

https://twitter.com/rolandgarros/status/1532133127262547970?s=21&t=x0pvzku9wil-gCjCKFhmnA

Has there ever been a Scandinavian QF in a GS tournament?  Maybe it's me but it's extremely disappointing that USA men's tennis has been basically non-existent since Roddick.  And frankly Roddick was obviously nowhere near American greats the generation before.  Any theories on what we're doing wrong? 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #922 on: June 02, 2022, 07:24:23 AM »
Good article in The Guardian:

On Tuesday night in Paris, in the quarter-finals at Roland Garros, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic contested yet another epic contest in their immortal rivalry. It was a thrilling affair full of ferocious offensive firepower and jaw-dropping defensive escapes with Nadal emerging as the victor in four grueling sets, making the Spaniard a heavy favorite to claim his 14th French Open title.

This current generation of tennis fans is perhaps the most spoiled, entitled lot of followers of any sport ever, having been gifted the remarkable array of matches between Nadal, Djokovic and, of course, Roger Federer. For nearly 20 years whenever one of them is playing in a major tournament, it’s been appointment viewing.This current generation of tennis fans is perhaps the most spoiled, entitled lot of followers of any sport ever, having been gifted the remarkable array of matches between Nadal, Djokovic and, of course, Roger Federer. For nearly 20 years whenever one of them is playing in a major tournament, it’s been appointment viewing.

Yet for many fans in the United States during this French Open, there has been a bit of confusion and frustration when attempting to figure out where exactly to view the matches. And even when it was clear which network would be broadcasting the event on a given day, many millions of Americans were still left out due to limitations within their cable/streaming TV lineup.

Most of the matches during the French Open have been carried by Tennis Channel, including the Nadal-Djokovic encounter. For the more serious tennis fan, having Tennis Channel at home is a must and since the channel’s inception it’s been an extraordinary network that fills almost all the fan’s needs with comprehensive coverage of most tour events.

Tennis Channel is now in approximately 60m households, according to the latest estimates, and that is indeed a sizable number. The network has seen tremendous growth. But that’s still 20m to 30m fewer households than ESPN reaches (the network which carries wall-to-wall coverage of the other three slams). Which means many millions of casual tennis fans in the United States were robbed of watching the brilliance of Nadal and Djokovic on Tuesday, as well as the all-American women’s quarter-final between teenage sensation Coco Gauff and former US Open champion Sloane Stephens. Shouldn’t a goal of tennis and other niche sports to bring in the more casual sports fans? It’s crucial to the growth of the sport to showcase the best it has to offer – and it clearly doesn’t get any better than Nadal v Djokovic.

Even more frustrating, several day and night sessions were carried exclusively via streaming on Peacock, the NBC-owned streaming service, which counts 13m paid subscribers, a fraction of those reached by either Tennis Channel or ESPN. Among Peacock’s offerings was the fourth-round match between Carlos Alcaraz and Karen Khachanov. No player not named Nadal received as much attention during the lead-up to the French than Carlos Alcaraz who, until he lost to Alexander Zverev on Tuesday, was among the pre-tournament favorites. But since relatively few consumers have Peacock, many were deprived of seeing Alcaraz and others. Contrast the situation with tennis programming in Europe, where most of the French Open is broadcast over one channel: Eurosport.

This issue cuts to the core of a central dilemma when trying to increase a sport’s popularity: namely, shouldn’t the powers at be within a sport’s governing body make an effort to ensure that they can get the most eyes on their sport at any given time? This is especially relevant in the United States where, after years of slow tennis growth and a paucity of high-ranked American players, the country is in the middle of a minor tennis boom. Participation has soared since the onset of the Covid pandemic with a 46% increase in dollars spent on racquets in 2021 and nearly 25m Americans having taken the court, according to the Tennis Industry Association. Further, this splintered media system is showcasing corporate avarice, forcing the consumer to constantly spend more money to tweak their channel lineup. Yes, the fan has greater access than ever, but at what price?

This leads to an even larger, more existential topic. As a populace we are offered more choices than ever, a bewildering supply of options in almost every facet of life. And no more so than in the media universe. But there’s a rather nasty irony involved; even though we have an infinite number of possibilities available to us, there are fewer unifying events because everything is so splintered and dispersed. One is constantly preached to that we inhabit a polarized era, that we’re a divided nation that shares different values depending on where one lives. The one area where there is still a sense of universal, shared experience is via sports.

For this weekend at least, tennis viewing will be available to everyone since NBC will be broadcasting the semi-finals and finals. The next step is fixing everything before it.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #923 on: June 02, 2022, 09:21:31 AM »
Has there ever been a Scandinavian QF in a GS tournament?  Maybe it's me but it's extremely disappointing that USA men's tennis has been basically non-existent since Roddick.  And frankly Roddick was obviously nowhere near American greats the generation before.  Any theories on what we're doing wrong?

Men?

There were 2 this year.

Borg, Edberg, Wilander, Soderling, Bjorkman, Enqvist etc….

MU82

• All American
« Reply #924 on: June 02, 2022, 09:32:14 AM »

I mean ... Bjorn freakin' Borg?

Wilander and Edberg were pretty good, too.

It doesn't matter to me that there's been a long down cycle for male American tennis players. If they're great enough to compete for slams, wonderful. If not, I enjoy watching those who are great enough. I enjoyed McEnroe and Connors not because they were Americans but because they were great at tennis and had interesting games and personalities. I love watching Rafa, and I'd root for him against any American because he's my favorite.