[Today at 05:37:28 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Tennis  (Read 114295 times)

shoothoops

• All American
Re: Tennis
« Reply #850 on: February 25, 2022, 01:31:59 PM »
Two Top 20 WTA Singles Players, Coco Gauff and Jessie Pegula, win the WTA Doha 1000 Doubles Title.

The win moves Gauff individually to top 10 in the World in doubles, after finishing 6th in the World last year as a doubles team with Caty McNally.

Gauff was also a singles quarterfinalist, picking up her 4th World top 4 singles win, along the way. She’ll turn 18 next month. Pegula turned 28 this week.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 01:35:37 PM by shoothoops »

MU82

• All American
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #852 on: March 13, 2022, 12:29:03 PM »
Naomi Osaka brought to tears by heckler during loss at Indian Wells
Sad. I feel for this young woman.

I do too - she really seems to be in a bad place right now.  From what I saw, the heckler just yelled "You suck!" and the heckler was then jeered by the rest of the crowd, presumably in support of Osaka.  That triggered her to want to get on the microphone in the middle of the match, it seems like fall apart during the match, and then be reduced to tears afterward.  All that from a pretty lame and one-off heckler. 

She said that she had gotten deep into the Williams sisters past mistreatment at Indian Wells.  It seems like she's in that tough spot where she's kind of meta-afraid of her mental health struggles, and hyper vigilant for the next trigger which basically guarantees she'll find it.  Here's hoping she continues to get some help and take the rest she needs.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #854 on: March 13, 2022, 02:11:35 PM »
This is not meant to be overly harsh to Osaka, but I just don’t think she has what it takes, off the court, to be an enduring superstar.  She’s an incredible player, a seemingly good person, and can be pretty charismatic/marketable, but there is a thick skin and edge that you need to stay on top and afloat, especially in a cutthroat individual sport.

Vile racial heckling or completely inappropriate questioning/inquiries aside, you have to shake off a lot of it or just tune it out, and she’s seemed to really struggle with that over the last few years. It can be learned, and maybe she will, I hope for her sake she does, but you can’t lose it every time someone says you suck or a reporter needles you in a way you don’t love.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #855 on: March 13, 2022, 03:49:58 PM »
I do too - she really seems to be in a bad place right now.  From what I saw, the heckler just yelled "You suck!" and the heckler was then jeered by the rest of the crowd, presumably in support of Osaka.  That triggered her to want to get on the microphone in the middle of the match, it seems like fall apart during the match, and then be reduced to tears afterward.  All that from a pretty lame and one-off heckler. 

She said that she had gotten deep into the Williams sisters past mistreatment at Indian Wells.  It seems like she's in that tough spot where she's kind of meta-afraid of her mental health struggles, and hyper vigilant for the next trigger which basically guarantees she'll find it.  Here's hoping she continues to get some help and take the rest she needs.

Congratulations to Veronika Kudermetova, a top 25 World Ranked player who was the better player last night, heckler or heckler, and, who played lights out tennis. Very deserving of moving forward.

I am a big mental, emotional, and physical health advocate. I can certainly empathize with several things with regards to Osaka, especially some of those from her childhood. I am all for the prioritization of doing everything to help yourself from a tour standpoint and a private standpoint, to get into as good of a place as possible with all of those 3 things. 

Osaka has played very few matches in about 6 months. And, this is the 5th biggest event on tour. The Women’s game is refreshingly very deep with lots and lots of players capable of winning and going far events. She’s lost in the round of 32 of her last 3 biggest events. Things get pretty challenging at that level.

Losing is a big part of sports. There’s zero reason why Osaka can’t continue to be very successful as one of the tour’s best players for a very long time.

Kudermetova next plays Marie Bouzkova, who defeated Jessie Pegula in 3 sets.

Lots and lots and lots of great matches and stories at Indian Wells this year. It’s been a lot of fun.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #856 on: March 13, 2022, 04:56:47 PM »
This is not meant to be overly harsh to Osaka, but I just don’t think she has what it takes, off the court, to be an enduring superstar.  She’s an incredible player, a seemingly good person, and can be pretty charismatic/marketable, but there is a thick skin and edge that you need to stay on top and afloat, especially in a cutthroat individual sport.

Vile racial heckling or completely inappropriate questioning/inquiries aside, you have to shake off a lot of it or just tune it out, and she’s seemed to really struggle with that over the last few years. It can be learned, and maybe she will, I hope for her sake she does, but you can’t lose it every time someone says you suck or a reporter needles you in a way you don’t love.

Or you know, people could just be decent. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #857 on: March 13, 2022, 05:24:12 PM »

There are a lack of decent people in all phases of life, normal or celebrity.  Learning how to deal with them or disregard them is a part of life, even moreso in the bright lights of superstardom and fame.  I never said she was weak or a loser or a crybaby, just that she might not have what it takes to handle everything off the court.  I think she needs to prioritize her mental health and her emotional well being and hopefully the rest sorts itself out.

Its not being an a** to say simply chalking up to "well that person was mean/rude/unfair" is unrealistic, this isn't kids sports, when she's far from the first or last person in her position to deal with such things.  Its a great opportunity to talk about mental health and the humanity/sensitivities of athletes without just acting like everything would be fine if people were nice.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 05:28:52 PM by JWags85 »

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #858 on: March 13, 2022, 06:18:34 PM »

Someone said "you suck" after she lost 6-0. Ive had way worse thrown at me as an amatuer highschool player.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #859 on: March 20, 2022, 07:37:46 PM »
Taylor Fritz becomes the first American male to win the men's singles title at Indian Wells (5th biggest tourney in the world) since Andre Agassi in 2001.

6-3, 7-6 over Rafa Nadal. He defeated four seeded players along the way including three in the top ten. Spectacular play, including in the final on.a bad ankle.

The win moves him to 13 in the ATP World Rankings.

Jack Sock/John Isner win the men's doubles title.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 07:49:36 PM by shoothoops »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #860 on: March 22, 2022, 09:18:31 PM »
Apparently Ashleigh Barty is retiring from tennis.  Pretty shocking, she probably would have won 10 gs titles or more.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #861 on: March 22, 2022, 10:33:55 PM »
Apparently Ashleigh Barty is retiring from tennis.  Pretty shocking, she probably would have won 10 gs titles or more.

Not everyone plays to count slams. She accomplished everything she wanted to do in tennis. She has other personal and professional interests.

It isn’t the first time she has left. She previously left tennis for almost two years when she was younger, and she played cricket.

She’s getting married and she isn’t interested in spending that much time outside of Australia any time soon.

She could always come back down the road after an extended break like Clijsters, or not like Henin. She does what she likes and wants regardless of public opinion, and, she also happens to be one of the nicest people on tour that does a lot for others.

Good for her.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #862 on: March 22, 2022, 11:20:43 PM »
Not everyone plays to count slams. She accomplished everything she wanted to do in tennis. She has other personal and professional interests.

It isn’t the first time she has left. She previously left tennis for almost two years when she was younger, and she played cricket.

She’s getting married and she isn’t interested in spending that much time outside of Australia any time soon.

She could always come back down the road after an extended break like Clijsters, or not like Henin. She does what she likes and wants regardless of public opinion, and, she also happens to be one of the nicest people on tour that does a lot for others.

Good for her.

"Not everyone plays to count slams".  That's because so few people are capable of winning slams.  It's a surprising decision for a woman on top of her game and very capable of dominating the sport.  Borg burned out at 25 but had 11 gs titles.  Of course she can do what she wants and is very well liked, that's irrelevant.  That doesn't mean you know her personally or have any idea why she made this decision.  I'm not criticizing her at all but the fact is it's surprising.  That's all I'm saying. 
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 11:42:06 PM by MuggsyB »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #863 on: March 22, 2022, 11:51:56 PM »
"Not everyone plays to count slams".  That's because so few people are capable of winning slams.  It's a surprising decision for a woman on top of her game and very capable of dominating the sport.  Borg burned out at 25 but had 11 gs titles.  Of course she can do what she wants and is very well liked, that's irrelevant.  That doesn't mean you know her personally or have any idea why she made this decision.  I'm not criticizing her at all but the fact is it's surprising, that's all I'm saying.

Clearly she's capable of winning slams, having done it on 3 surfaces. And she's one of 5 players who have finished 3 consecutive years at number 1.

She has said why she is making this decison. And yes, I do have personal experience with her.

It's difficult for you to understand a top player who doesn't play to count slams. There's a lot more to the sport than that. It wasn't even a thing until Sampras close to breaking the record.

There are dozens of Women's players capable of winning slams. 23 different players have won a slam since in the last decade. There are lots of great players.

You said it was shocking and the only other thing you added is that she could have gone on to win 10 more slams. I then said not everyone plays to count slams including some that can and do win them. And some have other interests too. She's very self aware.

Her style of play, and quality will be missed.

She's one of the all time great players. She appears happy.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 12:12:26 AM by shoothoops »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #864 on: March 23, 2022, 12:40:18 AM »
Clearly she's capable of winning slams, having done it on 3 surfaces. And she's one of 5 players who have finished 3 consecutive years at number 1.

She has said why she is making this decison. And yes, I do have personal experience with her.

It's difficult for you to understand a top player who doesn't play to count slams. There's a lot more to the sport than that. It wasn't even a thing until Sampras close to breaking the record.

There are dozens of Women's players capable of winning slams. 23 different players have won a slam since in the last decade. There are lots of great players.

You said it was shocking and the only other thing you added is that she could have gone on to win 10 more slams. I then said not everyone plays to count slams including some that can and do win them. And some have other interests too. She's very self aware.

Her style of play, and quality will be missed.

She's one of the all time great players. She appears happy.

She'll definitely be missed as she has a complete game with great versatility.  It's just unusual for someone to leave a sport they could have dominated for a decade.
 And she had plenty of  room to get considerably  better. 

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #865 on: March 23, 2022, 02:29:07 PM »
Marquette’s Jimmy Butler making a latte for WTA current U.S. Open Champion Emma Raducanu at the Miami Open.

“Big Face Coffee” is the official coffee sponsor of this week’s Miami Open, one of the 9 biggest non major events on tour.

https://twitter.com/wta/status/1506710555461136385?s=21

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #866 on: May 02, 2022, 07:55:46 AM »
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #868 on: May 07, 2022, 01:58:42 PM »
Uhhhh......Bam?  Double Bam??  This Alcaraz kid is coming.  He just beat the Djoker after taking out Nadal at the Madrid Open.  He  turned 19 years old a few days ago. 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 02:00:31 PM by MuggsyB »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #869 on: May 07, 2022, 09:42:41 PM »
Uhhhh......Bam?  Double Bam??  This Alcaraz kid is coming.  He just beat the Djoker after taking out Nadal at the Madrid Open.  He  turned 19 years old a few days ago.

First player to beat Rafa and Novak in consecutive matches in 12 years.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #870 on: May 08, 2022, 08:51:30 AM »
It’s good to see Carlos Alcaraz put it together after his loss to Sebi Korda recently in Monte Carlo.

Ons Jabeur became the first WTA Arab and African player to win a WTA 1000 event.

Iga Swiatek became the 4th WTA player to win the Sunshine Double. (Indian Wells and Miami)

Jess Pegula just missed a top 10 World Ranking by falling in the WTA Madrid Final. 3 American Women in the top 15)
She has made the Round of 16 in 10 of her last 11 events. (Only Iga Swiatek (29) has won more WTA 1000 matches the past two years than Pegula (28).

Paula Badosa is now ranked number 2 in the world.

Taylor Townsend won the singles title in her first tourney since maternity leave.

Coco Gauff is ranked in the top 15 in doubles with two different players.

Jon Isner won the Sunshine Doubles titles with two different partners.

Taylor Fritz won Indian Wells is now ranked 13th in the World.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #871 on: May 08, 2022, 01:28:47 PM »
It’s good to see Carlos Alcaraz put it together after his loss to Sebi Korda recently in Monte Carlo.

Ons Jabeur became the first WTA Arab and African player to win a WTA 1000 event.

I see he destroyed Zverev.  Not a shabby tournament for the young man.
Iga Swiatek became the 4th WTA player to win the Sunshine Double. (Indian Wells and Miami)

Jess Pegula just missed a top 10 World Ranking by falling in the WTA Madrid Final. 3 American Women in the top 15)
She has made the Round of 16 in 10 of her last 11 events. (Only Iga Swiatek (29) has won more WTA 1000 matches the past two years than Pegula (28).

Paula Badosa is now ranked number 2 in the world.

Taylor Townsend won the singles title in her first tourney since maternity leave.

Coco Gauff is ranked in the top 15 in doubles with two different players.

Jon Isner won the Sunshine Doubles titles with two different partners.

Taylor Fritz won Indian Wells is now ranked 13th in the World.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #872 on: May 08, 2022, 02:57:50 PM »
It isn't just a one off tourney for Alacaraz. He's around to stay at the age of 19.

He'll skip Rome for Paris.

Drop shot clinic between the two Madrid Title winners Jabeur and Alcaraz.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #873 on: May 08, 2022, 03:04:36 PM »
It isn't just a one off tourney for Alacaraz. He's around to stay at the age of 19.

He'll skip Rome for Paris.

Drop shot clinic between the two Madrid Title winners Jabeur and Alcaraz.

Nice.  I enjoy the drop shot.  Very difficult to execute consistently.  I assume Zverev was pissed.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #874 on: May 08, 2022, 05:13:43 PM »
On court after the match, Zverev told Alcaraz:

"I want to congratulate Carlitos. Right now you are the best player in the world. It is great for tennis that we have such a new superstar that is going to win so many grand slams, that is going to be world number one and I think is going to win this tournament many more times."

I think it'll be great, too. As much as I've loved watching Fetterer, Djokovic and especially Rafa dominate men's tennis these last 2 decades, it's time for some others to step up. And that doesn't mean occasionally pulling off an upset, it means taking the baton. We'll see if Alcaraz can do it.

feedback