collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Tennis  (Read 114340 times)

shoothoops

• All American
Re: Tennis
« Reply #450 on: June 02, 2021, 12:36:14 PM »
I'm not Mr. Tennis like you are, but I do like to watch the big events ... and I literally have never heard of any of these players. (Or if I did hear of any of them briefly, I've already forgotten.)

1) That is part of the point. The French Open is often known for its upsets, throw out the brackets etc...minus Nadal. It can cater to both those who enjoy that, as well as those who like chalk and big names. Room for everyone. I also have previously mentioned that I believe seeding would be better using the current year’s points race vs overall ranking. It’s a better indicator how someone is playing at that time.

2) If you want a name to watch for that section of the draw, Paula Bedosa, Spain. (Now she will likely lose her next match since I said that.)

3) Tennis is a Global Sport, 3 of the 4 Majors are played outside the U.S. There are roughly 4 big tour events in the U.S. annually, and 1 in Canada. This is different as opposed to golf which has 3 of 4 Majors in the U.S. and, it’s own domestic tour. The growth in tennis has been Asia in recent memory. It is known as the Asian Swing. It takes place after the U.S. Open annually. It’s lucrative. (There are other places as well.)

4) You say and have said that you like big events, and big names. Well, how do you think those people become big names playing in big events. Not many people knew who Coco Gauff was before she made the Final 16 at Wimbledon and Australia when she was 15. The buzz and excitement was created. And when big bame and big event viewers such as yourself leave for a while, that’s when the fun begins. The grind, the incremental improvement, the technique, the movement, the decision making, the point construction, the strategy, the strength and fitness, the repetition, the practice, the moments where some things click when few are watching, the essence of sport. You see there different types of fans and viewers. All are welcome and all have a market to be covered. In tennis, baseball, basketball, soccer, football, hockey, Olympic Sports, I am all about the process, and, the big events and moments, as opposed to just one.

This really extends to level of sport as well. I am happy to break down the recent Women’s Softball Regionals or discuss the NCAA Baseball Bracket. Did you enjoy the Men and Women’s NCAA Soccer Championships in North Carolina this year? And so on. Bryan Shelton taking two different schools to NCAA Titles, Men and Women’s Tennis. That’s big time. Almost all of the top 20 highest paid NHL players are out of the playoffs already.

You like the big events and big names. That’s great. The idea is to recognize and market to all types of consumers in all geographies in the sport.

If you are looking for big names, and possible names that you may not know, to make a run...

Men,

Nadal, Djokovic, Tsitsipas, Zverev. Keep your eye on Casper Ruud from Norway. And, half a dozen Americans in Medvedev’s section with a chance to take him out. Musetti, Berretini, Karatsev, Sinner all in form. Big names? Federer, Monfils, Nishikori.

Women?

Big names and those in form. Barty is playing with a tricky hip issue. Swiatek rolling. (Serena possibly if she wins) playing two time NCAA Champ Danielle Collins. Collins is coming off of painful endemeotris, and surgery. Azarenka vs Keys. Sabalenka. Jabeur, Gauff, Brady, Svitolina, Kenin, Pegula, .....
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 12:43:52 PM by shoothoops »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #451 on: June 02, 2021, 12:57:38 PM »
Actual question asked of American teen Coco Gauff this week:

“You are often compared to the Williams sisters. Maybe it’s because you’re Black. But I guess it’s because you’re talented, and, maybe American too...”

One of the more respected long time American tennis journalists asked Serena Williams about her shoes following her match (She wrote in French different words and sayings on her shoes) not understanding French and misinterpreting what was said. He’s a terrible interviewer.

Similar to broadcasting, the journalists that are respected, respect the game and talk about the game. Break down the game. They are the ones who are there week to week on tour and know how to build relationships with individual players.

Some journalists will say that they can gain insight at pressers that can better explain something. Someone referenced Justin Thomas in golf recently explaining the grain of the grass that caused him to miss a big shot etc....

Almost Nothing worthwhile comes during pre game pre match interviews. Nothing. I have rarely seen it.

Sideline reporting is often more effective off camera getting the info and relaying it back to the booth. Not much there on camera.

Half time. Coach what do you need to do better in the 2nd half? We need to score more points than the other team. Thanks coach.

Post game. This is often more trying to find a buzz worthy quote in joy, anger, sadness etc...as opposed to more time separation, more thought, more in depth analysis etc...It’s more of a heat of the moment which is often not a complete description of anything.

Casual fans and casual observers are often the target audience of these short and often shallow exchanges in the moment. They want to see and hear from the star or talent. Even broadcasters such as in game analyst Dick Vitale, who, we all know is better served as a PR pitchman for basketball as opposed to being an analyst, have followings as entertainers.

Flexibility, balance etc vs mandatory is a place. There are good bad and indifferent journalists as is the case in any profession.

I just don't see anyone who things these post game pressers are a good idea....except for reporters who get to fill a couple of paragraphs with quotes that don't say anything.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #452 on: June 02, 2021, 03:41:46 PM »
Osaka went out of her way to say that the tennis media “has always been kind to me."

Her situation wasn't "about" the media. It was about anxiety. It would have surfaced - and it did surface - irrespective of the media.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

• All American
« Reply #453 on: June 02, 2021, 03:48:20 PM »
Osaka went out of her way to say that the tennis media “has always been kind to me."

Her situation wasn't "about" the media. It was about anxiety. It would have surfaced - and it did surface - irrespective of the media.

Right.  It's not "the media."  It's the anxiety apparently caused (or enhanced) by the required media events following the matches.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #454 on: June 02, 2021, 04:00:45 PM »

Right.  It's not "the media."  It's the anxiety apparently caused (or enhanced) by the required media events following the matches.

You do see the difference, right?

And we are learning that Osaka was anxious about more than just appearing before the media, too.

It's a mental health issue. I hope she can find peace.

• All American
« Reply #455 on: June 02, 2021, 04:18:31 PM »

And we are learning that Osaka was anxious about more than just appearing before the media, too.

Of course I see the difference.  I believe that if it makes her less anxious, then the media sessions should be able to be skipped without retribution.  They have very little benefit when compared to the costs in this case.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #456 on: June 02, 2021, 05:33:01 PM »

It’s multiple things. It isn’t an either or media or Mental Health.

And of course the cast majority of athletes hide any challenges they have with regards to anxiety and Mental Health. This isn’t an Osaka specific issue. And it isn’t specific to athletes. Many people hide it in any other profession as well.

Every situation, and every person, athlete or media is an individual and each situation is examined as such.

Optional vs mandatory media is a place to start to make some progress. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #457 on: June 02, 2021, 06:37:57 PM »

Of course I see the difference.  I believe that if it makes her less anxious, then the media sessions should be able to be skipped without retribution.  They have very little benefit when compared to the costs in this case.

We agree.

It’s multiple things. It isn’t an either or media or Mental Health.

And of course the cast majority of athletes hide any challenges they have with regards to anxiety and Mental Health. This isn’t an Osaka specific issue. And it isn’t specific to athletes. Many people hide it in any other profession as well.

Every situation, and every person, athlete or media is an individual and each situation is examined as such.

Optional vs mandatory media is a place to start to make some progress.

We agree, too.

It should be noted that many tennis players, including Billie Jean King, at first reacted by saying the tennis media helped make the sport what it is today and helped make the players rich, and she said Osaka had an obligation.

But once the details of her situation became more known, King changed her stance.

Also, if you've read what some of the legitimate media have said, they almost universally have been extremely sympathetic to Osaka's situation.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #458 on: June 03, 2021, 07:29:01 AM »
World #1 and French Open favorite Ash Barty had to withdraw from her 2nd round match due to her ongoing hip injury. Tough one. She was leading 6-1, 2-2.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #459 on: June 03, 2021, 04:06:32 PM »
World #1 and French Open favorite Ash Barty had to withdraw from her 2nd round match due to her ongoing hip injury. Tough one. She was leading 6-1, 2-2.

I think she lost the first set 1-6. Tough to have to withdraw to be sure.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #460 on: June 03, 2021, 04:18:56 PM »
I think she lost the first set 1-6. Tough to have to withdraw to be sure.

Yep. My bad there. She was down 6-1, 2-2. She said she felt fine before the tourney. Acute hip injury. She has also had some hamstring issues during the clay season. She has played a lot, winning a lot on both hard courts and clay after sitting out a long time time during the pandemic. She also had been playing a lot of doubles with Jen Brady. (won a title)

It leaves Swiatek and Sabalenka as tourney favorites.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #461 on: June 03, 2021, 04:35:41 PM »
Lots of ‘Merica action this weekend.

Six Americans facing off against one another, in the Round of 32

Serena vs Collins
Kenin vs Pegula
Gauff vs Brady

Also, Keys vs Azarenka, Stephens vs Muchova.

Both the Men’s and Women’s draws had several Americans in similar sections, especially the Men. There are so many good American Women’s players, it was also a bit of inevitability.

Great tourney run from 19 year old Hailey Baptiste, into Round of 64, from winning her qualifying tourney. She won a doubles clay title this Spring with Caty McNally as well. Also solid results again from 20 year old Ann Li.

Vandy’s Astra Sharma making it to the round of 64.

Men:

Taylor Fritz had to be wheeled off of the court after his four set loss today. It didn’t look good. Possible knee injury. Hopefully not too serious.

Giron, Johnson, Isner, Opelka all in action tomorrow. Opelka vs Medvedev is an interesting matchup.

Federer turns back the clock today. (And barking frequently at the chair umpire throughout.)

Karatsev is out.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #462 on: June 03, 2021, 08:28:00 PM »
On his 35th birthday, Rafa Nadal celebrates by defeating Richard Gasquet for the 17th straight time without a loss. For the first time in The Open Era no French  Man or Woman will reach the 3rd Round of the French Open.

End of an era. Gasquet is 35. Tsonga is 36. Simon is 37. Monfils is 35.

Men
3-15 Rd1
0-3 Rd 2
Women
4-7 Rd 1
0-4 Rd 2

MU82

• All American
« Reply #463 on: June 03, 2021, 11:07:18 PM »
On his 35th birthday, Rafa Nadal celebrates by defeating Richard Gasquet for the 17th straight time without a loss. For the first time in The Open Era no French  Man or Woman will reach the 3rd Round of the French Open.

End of an era. Gasquet is 35. Tsonga is 36. Simon is 37. Monfils is 35.

Men
3-15 Rd1
0-3 Rd 2
Women
4-7 Rd 1
0-4 Rd 2

Way to go, Rafa!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #464 on: June 03, 2021, 11:20:01 PM »
Way to go, Rafa!

Was his form solid for the 2nd rd?  A little concerning he lost 7 games. 

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #465 on: June 04, 2021, 01:35:07 PM »
Lots of ‘Merica action this weekend.

Six Americans facing off against one another, in the Round of 32

Serena vs Collins
Kenin vs Pegula
Gauff vs Brady

Also, Keys vs Azarenka, Stephens vs Muchova.

Both the Men’s and Women’s draws had several Americans in similar sections, especially the Men. There are so many good American Women’s players, it was also a bit of inevitability.

Great tourney run from 19 year old Hailey Baptiste, into Round of 64, from winning her qualifying tourney. She won a doubles clay title this Spring with Caty McNally as well. Also solid results again from 20 year old Ann Li.

Vandy’s Astra Sharma making it to the round of 64.

Men:

Taylor Fritz had to be wheeled off of the court after his four set loss today. It didn’t look good. Possible knee injury. Hopefully not too serious.

Giron, Johnson, Isner, Opelka all in action tomorrow. Opelka vs Medvedev is an interesting matchup.

Federer turns back the clock today. (And barking frequently at the chair umpire throughout.)

Karatsev is out.

Meniscus tear for Taylor Fritz. Hopeful to be back for Wimbledon.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #466 on: June 04, 2021, 04:02:29 PM »
Was his form solid for the 2nd rd?  A little concerning he lost 7 games.

I haven't watched one second of the French Open yet. I don't get the channels it's been on. I was just responding to Rafa advancing.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #467 on: June 04, 2021, 06:03:06 PM »
I haven't watched one second of the French Open yet. I don't get the channels it's been on. I was just responding to Rafa advancing.

Tennis Channel has a distribution problem. Best place to watch is DirecTV or AT&T TV, some cable, and, Tennis Channel Plus. Tennis Channel is owned by Sinclair which also has a distribution problem with Regional Sports Networks. Their direct to consumer app won't be available until at least 2022. And they are not likely to make any deals until then.

As to Nadal, he is playing fine, in form. He won two of the four bigger clay court events prior to the French Open. He lost to Rublev in Monte Carlo. He won Barcelona. He lost to Zverev in Madrid. He won Rome over Djokovic. He almost lost to Shapovalov but survived match points. He needed match play and he has gotten in it. He is as much of a contender and favorite as ever. There are some challengers but he is the favorite.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #468 on: June 04, 2021, 06:14:32 PM »
Tennis Channel has a distribution problem. Best place to watch is DirecTV or AT&T TV, some cable, and, Tennis Channel Plus. Tennis Channel is owned by Sinclair which also has a distribution problem with Regional Sports Networks. Their direct to consumer app won't be available until at least 2022. And they are not likely to make any deals until then.

As to Nadal, he is playing fine, in form. He won two of the four bigger clay court events prior to the French Open. He lost to Rublev in Monte Carlo. He won Barcelona. He lost to Zverev in Madrid. He won Rome over Djokovic. He almost lost to Shapovalov but survived match points. He needed match play and he has gotten in it. He is as much of a contender and favorite as ever. There are some challengers but he is the favorite.

Thanks for the update. I don't get any of those channels, and while I like the French Open, I'm not a big enough fan or around enough to watch enough to make it worth my while. The big matches will be on NBC next week, and I'll enjoy those when I can.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #469 on: June 04, 2021, 09:21:02 PM »

Thanks for the update. I don't get any of those channels, and while I like the French Open, I'm not a big enough fan or around enough to watch enough to make it worth my while. The big matches will be on NBC next week, and I'll enjoy those when I can.

It’s about much more than just tennis. It’s MLB, NHL, NBA as well. Sinclair owns many of the local regional sports stations for these sports, in addition to Tennis Channel. Example: A local MLB team will play about 152 out of 162 of its local team games a season on Sinclair’s Regional Sports Channel. That same local market will have about 72 out of 82 of its local team’s regular season NHL games on that same channel. Ten or less are televised Nationally per season. Same for NBA etc...

Many people across the country have to make a decision regarding the Regional Sports Channels owned by Sinclair. Distribution is limited. Not watch or, switch to something that has those games in those sports.

Many teams in the NHL, NBA, MLB, televise their daily local teams’ games via Regional Sports Networks owned by Sinclair. Almost all of a local team’s games are on these channels, and in many instances, multiple local sports teams are on these same channels. So if you choose not to have a Sinclair carrier, you would be missing most of your local teams games in multiple sports.

These channels are only on some cable, DirecTV, AT&T TV and that’s pretty much it.

NBC has done a terrible job covering tennis and the French Open. Thankfully their contract is up in a few years. Seems like forever.

ESPN has decided to cut back and only do big events such as the four majors. However, they televise first ball to last ball, all of the matches.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 09:28:31 PM by shoothoops »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #470 on: June 05, 2021, 12:41:49 PM »
RG Women’s Singles Round of 16:

Jabeur
Gauff

Stephens
Krejcicova

Kenin
Sakkari

Kostyuk
Swiatek

Serena
Rybakina

Azarenka
Pavlyuchenkova

Zidanstek
Cirstea

Vondrousova
Badosa

The United States Women’s Olympic Singles players are almost set. Right now, they would be Kenin, Serena, Brady, Gauff. They are chosen based on their WTA World Ranking. This would change if Stephens won the tourney. Next on the list would be Jessie Pegula. Alison Riske then Madison Keys would be next after that. Riske can get back in it if she wins title at Nottingham. Still room for possible change. And not everyone who qualifies will choose to go. Two more for the Doubles team would be chosen and may or may not be based on doubles rankings.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 02:49:37 PM by shoothoops »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #471 on: June 05, 2021, 01:51:16 PM »
Kenin fired her long time coach, her dad, this Spring after struggling all season, and she is playing on her own in Paris. So far so good.

Stephens has been working with two of Rafa Nadal’s long time coaches during the clay season, Francis Roig and Joedi Vilaro. It’s working. Darian King, whom she has known since they played Juniors together, has also been working with Stephens this Spring.  She had missed her previous last seven chances for a major round of 16.

It’s Kenin’s 4th Round of 16 in a major. She made the French Final last year. She’s 22.

Stephens enters the Roland Garros Round of 16 for the 7th time, and, it’s her 14th Round of 16 in her career at majors.

This is 17 year old Gauff’s 3rd time in a Round of 16 in a major. She’s done it in 3 different majors on 3 different surfaces. She’s also made the Round of 32 in the 4th major.

Serena enters the Round of 16 at the French Open for the 13th time. She has 3 French Open Titles. It is the 63rd time in her career she has reached the Round of 16 in a major.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 02:49:04 PM by shoothoops »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #472 on: June 05, 2021, 02:14:40 PM »
It’s about much more than just tennis. It’s MLB, NHL, NBA as well. Sinclair owns many of the local regional sports stations for these sports, in addition to Tennis Channel. Example: A local MLB team will play about 152 out of 162 of its local team games a season on Sinclair’s Regional Sports Channel. That same local market will have about 72 out of 82 of its local team’s regular season NHL games on that same channel. Ten or less are televised Nationally per season. Same for NBA etc...

Many people across the country have to make a decision regarding the Regional Sports Channels owned by Sinclair. Distribution is limited. Not watch or, switch to something that has those games in those sports.

Many teams in the NHL, NBA, MLB, televise their daily local teams’ games via Regional Sports Networks owned by Sinclair. Almost all of a local team’s games are on these channels, and in many instances, multiple local sports teams are on these same channels. So if you choose not to have a Sinclair carrier, you would be missing most of your local teams games in multiple sports.

These channels are only on some cable, DirecTV, AT&T TV and that’s pretty much it.

NBC has done a terrible job covering tennis and the French Open. Thankfully their contract is up in a few years. Seems like forever.

ESPN has decided to cut back and only do big events such as the four majors. However, they televise first ball to last ball, all of the matches.

Sinclair is regarded as one of the worst media outlets ever.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #473 on: June 05, 2021, 06:11:58 PM »
After Midnight in Paris...heavy, slow difficult conditions...empty stadium that departed for curfew...39 years, 10 months...2 knee surgeries...3 matches played in the past 18 months...

7-6, 6-7, 7-6, 7-5.

For the 15th time at Roland Garros, and for the 68th time in his career, Roger Federer has advanced to the Round of 16 in a major.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #474 on: June 05, 2021, 06:28:08 PM »
After Midnight in Paris...heavy, slow difficult conditions...empty stadium that departed for curfew...39 years, 10 months...2 knee surgeries...3 matches played in the past 18 months...

7-6, 6-7, 7-6, 7-5.

For the 15th time at Roland Garros, and for the 68th time in his career, Roger Federer has advanced to the Round of 16 in a major.

He's been a pretty good player over the years.

feedback