[Today at 10:46:19 AM]

Welcome Jack Anderson! by Viper
[Today at 10:46:03 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:37:28 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Tennis  (Read 114309 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: Tennis
« Reply #350 on: February 19, 2021, 10:18:26 AM »
Medvedev's court coverage is extraordinary.   Tsitsipas could not find his backhand early but Medvedev was lights out at far as his serve and overall consistency.  It's impossible not to pick Novak but I'm hoping Medvedev plays his A game.  He's an extremely likable player.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #351 on: February 19, 2021, 11:54:14 AM »
Medvedev is one funky tennis player. Style unlike anybody else. He could give Novak trouble ... but I expect the best in the world to do what he does, and what he has to.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #352 on: February 19, 2021, 12:26:51 PM »
Both Medvedev and Djokovic will be rested and ready to go. (Draws matter who you play, when, etc...)

The surface is playing faster than it has in 15 years. This is also a neutral as both like hard courts but prefer the previous slower AO Hard Courts as opposer to the U.S. Open.

Medvedev has defeated every top 10 player (except Federer who's injured) since November, and, some multiple times. He's won 20 in a row and, if he wins, he will be the first player not named Federer, Nadal, Djokovic to be ranked #2 in the World, in 16 years.

Djokovjc is seeking his 18th Men's Singles Grand Slam Title, and 9th Australian Open Men's Singles Title.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 12:44:19 PM by shoothoops »

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #353 on: February 20, 2021, 01:19:46 AM »
Both Medvedev and Djokovic will be rested and ready to go. (Draws matter who you play, when, etc...)

The surface is playing faster than it has in 15 years. This is also a neutral as both like hard courts but prefer the previous slower AO Hard Courts as opposer to the U.S. Open.

Medvedev has defeated every top 10 player (except Federer who's injured) since November, and, some multiple times. He's won 20 in a row and, if he wins, he will be the first player not named Federer, Nadal, Djokovic to be ranked #2 in the World, in 16 years.

Djokovic is seeking his 18th Men's Singles Grand Slam Title, and 9th Australian Open Men's Singles Title.

Of those 20 straight matches that Medvedev has won, it includes an insane 11 wins over top 10 players.  One of them was Djokovic in the Paris Tours final three months ago.

Medvedev has won four straight tournaments, going for 5 tomorrow.

Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #354 on: February 20, 2021, 01:32:54 AM »
Of those 20 straight matches that Medvedev has won, it includes an insane 11 wins over top 10 players.  One of them was Djokovic in the Paris Tours final three months ago.

Medvedev has won four straight tournaments, going for 5 tomorrow.

But can he beat the Djoker on this stage?  I certainly hope so.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #355 on: February 20, 2021, 07:15:35 AM »
Women's Tennis Player Barbora Strycova once gave Naomi Osaka the nickname Shinkasen, (Japanese Bullet Train), and the fastest one is called Nozomi.

4th Grand Slam Title Singles Title for Osaka. (all Hard Court) Neither she nor Brady played a great first.set, but jt was solid and super close...slightly too many errors for Jen and not quite good enough serving the difference. She had several opportunities. Came close.

Super close 1st set, 4-5 40-15 on serve, Brady misses a backhand, then double faults. Osaka gets a defensive backhand stab off of her frame to land on the line. Amazing. Then good serve from Brady, easy put aeay at the net and misses it. Osaka was just slightly better w/serves, returns, similar errors. Brady was cruising serving well that game. Little things. Luck helps too.

Each player with one poor service game each first set. Score tied 4-4 Osaka serving down 0-30, 2nd serve, and she spins one off of the back of the line that Brady returns long. Pretty good next serve but not good enough return floats long. Brady then plays a terrific point touch lob winner after great return on great wide serve.(Needed more variety like this) Osaka misses a cross court forehand heavy ball the nicks the line to get back to deuce. Then long rally and Brady hits tape inside out forehand. Backhand winner just wide on Osaka approach.

One big key to Osaka's play is her team, in particular her coach, Belgian Wim Fissette, one of the better coaches on tour. It matters, and it makes a difference. They will now seek to improve Clay and Grass Results.

A U.S. Open Semifinal, and an Australian Open Final in her last two Grand Slam Singles Tourneys for Jen Brady. Osaka becomes the 4th active Women's player with 4 Grand Slam Singles Titles. (Clijsters, Venus, Serena)

Barbora Krejcikova and Rajeev Ram win the Mixed Doubles Title. It is the 5th Grand Slam Doubles Title for Krejcikova, her 3rd Mixed, all three in Australia, and two of those with Rajeev Ram. It is the 3rd Grand Slam Doubles Title for Rajeev, 2nd Mixed.

At one point in the photo, this was the Round of 16 score for Osaka. It's a game of inches sometimes.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 08:16:24 AM by shoothoops »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #356 on: February 20, 2021, 09:34:00 AM »
Osaka punished just about every second serve Brady made -- and Brady had to make a lot of them. Conversely, Brady did not do a very good job attacking Osaka's second serves.

When Osaka had to make a soft second, and then Brady just hit an easy one back, Osaka quickly took command of the point. Happened quite often.

Osaka won the match at 4-4 in the first set. Brady had a great chance to break her but couldn't. And then, as shoot said, Brady was up 40-15 the next game but Osaka used a combination of great skill and a little luck to win the set. Didn't help that Brady put an easy backhand right into the net at set point.

Osaka is now a 4-time champ and knows how to calm herself enough when the pressure's on. Hopefully for Brady, this was a learning experience she can build off of. I think she needs to work on controlling her emotions a little. It's a fine line because you want to ride the wave when momentum is in your favor. But she gets too frustrated too easily IMHO and it detracts from her play.

As for the men ...

I like to think Medvedev will be ready, willing and able to give Djokovic a heck of a battle ... but the field had its opportunity against him early, when he was hurting, and now he's a shark smelling chum in the water. I'm thinking Novak in 4 sets.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #357 on: February 20, 2021, 10:42:15 AM »
But can he beat the Djoker on this stage?  I certainly hope so.

I agree that Joker might be on a different level than everyone else.

But, right now, the next guy in that order might not be Federer or Nadal but Medvedev. 

Restated, right now the guy with the best chance to knock off Novak in a major final is Medvedev, more so than Nadal.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 11:21:41 AM by Heisenberg v2.0 »
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #358 on: February 20, 2021, 11:23:16 AM »
If both play their A game the Djoker is still better.  But if Medvy serves big and Novak is a little off he absolutely can take the Serbian out.  The problem is I expect Djokovic to be ready and in the "this is my house zone".  I hope I'm wrong.  Perhaps you can give Gale Boetticher a call and see if he can run a chem lab in Djoker's hotel basement?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 11:25:13 AM by MuggsyB »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #359 on: February 20, 2021, 12:37:19 PM »
I agree that Joker might be on a different level than everyone else.

But, right now, the next guy in that order might not be Federer or Nadal but Medvedev. 

Restated, right now the guy with the best chance to knock off Novak in a major final is Medvedev, more so than Nadal.

Mostly a reasonable hypothesis. Medvedev probably is a better matchup in a major final for Djokovic right now ... except on clay.

At the French, until proven otherwise, Nadal is a tougher task for Djokovic or any other human walking the face of the earth.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #360 on: February 20, 2021, 02:04:03 PM »
Mostly a reasonable hypothesis. Medvedev probably is a better matchup in a major final for Djokovic right now ... except on clay.

At the French, until proven otherwise, Nadal is a tougher task for Djokovic or any other human walking the face of the earth.

I believe Robin Soderling is the only guy who has beaten Rafa at Roland G when Nadal has been close to healthy.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #361 on: February 20, 2021, 02:08:37 PM »
It's worth noting and re-visiring...

72 players had to have an extra challenging, not leave the hotel room, 14 day lockdown prior to the Australian Open. Exactly one of the singles players out of that group made the 2nd weekend/Round of 16. That was Jen Brady.

(She is a different player since she started working with Michael Geserer in 2019, and began practicing regularly with the game's best,.most elite players.)

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #362 on: February 20, 2021, 04:00:40 PM »
Women's Tennis Player Barbora Strycova once gave Naomi Osaka the nickname Shinkasen, (Japanese Bullet Train), and the fastest one is called Nozomi.

4th Grand Slam Title Singles Title for Osaka. (all Hard Court) Neither she nor Brady played a great first.set, but jt was solid and super close...slightly too many errors for Jen and not quite good enough serving the difference. She had several opportunities. Came close.

Super close 1st set, 4-5 40-15 on serve, Brady misses a backhand, then double faults. Osaka gets a defensive backhand stab off of her frame to land on the line. Amazing. Then good serve from Brady, easy put aeay at the net and misses it. Osaka was just slightly better w/serves, returns, similar errors. Brady was cruising serving well that game. Little things. Luck helps too.

Each player with one poor service game each first set. Score tied 4-4 Osaka serving down 0-30, 2nd serve, and she spins one off of the back of the line that Brady returns long. Pretty good next serve but not good enough return floats long. Brady then plays a terrific point touch lob winner after great return on great wide serve.(Needed more variety like this) Osaka misses a cross court forehand heavy ball the nicks the line to get back to deuce. Then long rally and Brady hits tape inside out forehand. Backhand winner just wide on Osaka approach.

One big key to Osaka's play is her team, in particular her coach, Belgian Wim Fissette, one of the better coaches on tour. It matters, and it makes a difference. They will now seek to improve Clay and Grass Results.

A U.S. Open Semifinal, and an Australian Open Final in her last two Grand Slam Singles Tourneys for Jen Brady. Osaka becomes the 4th active Women's player with 4 Grand Slam Singles Titles. (Clijsters, Venus, Serena)

Barbora Krejcikova and Rajeev Ram win the Mixed Doubles Title. It is the 5th Grand Slam Doubles Title for Krejcikova, her 3rd Mixed, all three in Australia, and two of those with Rajeev Ram. It is the 3rd Grand Slam Doubles Title for Rajeev, 2nd Mixed.

At one point in the photo, this was the Round of 16 score for Osaka. It's a game of inches sometimes.

Player Results while being coached by Wim Fissette:

Six Grand Slam Titles, plus three other Grand Slam Finals. He did this with six different players.

While working with Wim:

Grand Slam Titles:

Kim Clijsters 3
Naomi Osaka 2
Angie Kerber 1

Grand Slam Finals:

Sabine Lisicki 1
Simona Halep 1

Vika Azarenka 1

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #363 on: February 21, 2021, 04:29:23 AM »
The Djoker is just too good but I did not expect a bludgeoning.  Medvy just didn't have it mentally today.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #364 on: February 21, 2021, 04:38:31 AM »
Djoker's serve was lights out as well.  Dominating performance.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #365 on: February 21, 2021, 04:55:08 AM »
Apparently the Australian tennis fans aren't thrilled with the Victorian govt. The 5 day suspension is a little odd if you think about it.  I guess they couldn't afford to lose that much cash?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 05:04:20 AM by MuggsyB »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #366 on: February 21, 2021, 05:09:41 AM »
It's worth repeating how incredible Fed, Rafa, and Djoker really are.  It's an absolute privilege to watch them.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #367 on: February 21, 2021, 09:49:54 AM »
Well, so much for Medvedev being a great challenge for Djokovic. Novak is just too good. He didn't even look like he was sweating; there aren't too many better-conditioned athletes in the entire world.

Every important (or even semi-important) point, Djokovic won. As John McEnroe said, Djokovic had an obvious game plan while Medvedev did not seem to. And when Medvedev started breaking rackets ... ugh.

I don't think Rafa could have beaten Novak, either ... but I'll still do a little "what might have been" thinking. If Rafa had won the 3rd set against Tsitsipas rather than absolutely giving away the tiebreaker, he would have been nice and rested for Medvedev in the semis ... and we'll never know what would have happened. But Rafa DID blow that tiebreak, and the rest was history. Well deserved championship for the Down Under Wonder. Rafa gets to be the King of Clay soon enough.

I second Muggsy about the privilege we've all had to watch the three greatest tennis players ever, all in their prime in the same era of the sport's history. I doubt we'll ever see anything like this again.

I will believe that the Medvedevs, Thiems, Zverevs, etc, are ready for the passing of the torch as soon as any of them can take away the torch for more than one major in a row.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #368 on: February 21, 2021, 10:00:00 AM »
Novak Djokovic wins his 18th Grand Slam Major Singles Title over Daniil Medvedev.

High level serving all tournament for Djokovic, never losing more than 30% of his first serve points in any match. There is often discussion of his defense, and, that of Medvedev, (deservedly so) but both were able to win and stay fresh throughout the event by winning many short points quickly. And defense doesn't necessarily mean service return. Djokovic is a great returner of serve and he can turn it into offense. Medvedev eases into points to dictate rallies. But he wasn't able to often because Djokovjc served well. Snd, Medvedev stood back too far on 2nd serves taking pressure off it for Djokovic.

Timely slice and timely bringing Medvedev forward where he is less comfortable.

Medvedev served well enough in the first set to stay in it. But he missed his two first serves at 5-6 on serve, and, he couldn't push Djokovic off of the baseline. Medvedev then served and volleyed but clipped the tape on a backhand, and an easy ND pass. DM then came back with a few strong serves but ND floated a backhand return deep causing a rushed DM error and first set. One thing elite players have in common is how they play the big moments in close matches.

After getting a 2nd set break, DM went for a little extra on a few serves snd ND returned them right in front of DM's shoe strings inside the baseline. He also did this often in the third set too.

DM had a willingness to play long rallies on ND's serve. But he was too impatient on his own serve, looking for quick easy points, and, when sometimes that didn't happen, he made errors, didn't move as well, didn't prepare as well.

Part of DM's game is methodically dictating longer rallies, chasing everything down. When he isn't doing that as much or as well, he can be exposed by elite players.

Very business like for Djokovic, with good strategy tactics, and strong service games.

9th AO Grand Slam Singles Title. 18th overall.

Preferred surface, preferred time of year, preferred conditions, preferred atmosphere for ND.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #369 on: February 21, 2021, 10:11:59 AM »
Well, so much for Medvedev being a great challenge for Djokovic. Novak is just too good. He didn't even look like he was sweating; there aren't too many better-conditioned athletes in the entire world.

Every important (or even semi-important) point, Djokovic won. As John McEnroe said, Djokovic had an obvious game plan while Medvedev did not seem to. And when Medvedev started breaking rackets ... ugh.

I don't think Rafa could have beaten Novak, either ... but I'll still do a little "what might have been" thinking. If Rafa had won the 3rd set against Tsitsipas rather than absolutely giving away the tiebreaker, he would have been nice and rested for Medvedev in the semis ... and we'll never know what would have happened. But Rafa DID blow that tiebreak, and the rest was history. Well deserved championship for the Down Under Wonder. Rafa gets to be the King of Clay soon enough.

I second Muggsy about the privilege we've all had to watch the three greatest tennis players ever, all in their prime in the same era of the sport's history. I doubt we'll ever see anything like this again.

I will believe that the Medvedevs, Thiems, Zverevs, etc, are ready for the passing of the torch as soon as any of them can take away the torch for more than one major in a row.

Ok, after many times of the same post, I have to politely interject here. I believe you are confusing your distaste for emotion, emotional outbursts even mild in some cases, for that being an automatic detriment to someone's play.

Here is Djokovjc destroying a racket mid match at this year's AO. He then goes on to turn that set around by winning the next five games:

https://twitter.com/TennisChannel/status/1361646864513175552?s=19

Federer was well known for emotional outbursts, racket stuff when he was younger. Some players do it, some don't, it happens.

Nadal even used to do it as a younger player until Uncle Tony said no more.

Emotional outbursts can also be beneficial for certain types of players.

It is utter nonsense that if someone has an emotional outburst they are automatically not going to do well after that. There are double standards of course with se players vs others.

Some players are quiet players, some are not. (some even during the points as a tactic) It's quite a variety.

I also believe your repeated Brady commentary is misplaced, as, that really isn't a big thing in her game compared to even the average tour player.

It would appear that you prefer players to contort themselves in a certain manner. And there is nothjng wrong with that. But as in any other sport or walk of life, there are a wide variety of different personalities, different temperaments. And there is not one way to be successful from that standpoint.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 10:14:17 AM by shoothoops »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #370 on: February 21, 2021, 10:33:30 AM »
Djoker's best on that court is too good for Rafa.   When he can get free points on his serve and dictate play he's totally unbeatable. His pace and depth on his shots is like being attacked by an unstoppable rebel force.  The other thing he does is cover the hammer and wide serve better than anyone.  He's more flexible than Rafa.

When they move over to the clay Rafa is of course like a maestro in a medieval battle, using wizardry and weaponry that can't be dealt with under any circumstances.  Also, Fed could come back and be okay for Wimbledon. 

It pains me (Rafa is my guy) but Djoker seems to be in the driver's seat to catch both of them and hold the most GS titles.  And the one thing you can't deny is how tough he is mentally and physically.  He never beats himself.  As for  Zverev, Medvy, Thiem, and others?  I'll believe they can take out the Big 3 in a GS when I see it.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 10:35:19 AM by MuggsyB »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #371 on: February 21, 2021, 10:42:48 AM »
As an inside in my opinion the speed of the hard courts in Melbourne and New York should be completely different.  There are much slower hard courts.  The final 8 tournament at the end of the season is usually a fairly slow surface.  I'm not sure if it's the court itself or the balls being different but doesn't it make some sense to make a contrast between the Laver and Ashe courts?  Because to me they both have seemed inordinately fast in recent years.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 11:05:49 AM by MuggsyB »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #372 on: February 21, 2021, 11:04:28 AM »
Who would be your top 5 men and top 5 women of all time?  Right now I would say:

Men:

Nadal
Fed
Djoker
Borg
Laver

Women:

S. Williams
Graf
Navratilova
Evert
Seles

It's a terrible shame Seles was stabbed.

Court's record is very misleading

I actually think Graf is the most complete player of all time but Serena's serve is other worldly. 

Borg's back to back French Open/Wimbledon runs is still absolutely phenomenal.  And no one has done that in this era.

Laver I believe didn't play in the Grand Slams for 4 years?

On grass it's tough...Sampras or Fed?  Fed beat Pete when he was 19 there. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #373 on: February 21, 2021, 11:47:32 AM »
Ok, after many times of the same post, I have to politely interject here. I believe you are confusing your distaste for emotion, emotional outbursts even mild in some cases, for that being an automatic detriment to someone's play.

Here is Djokovjc destroying a racket mid match at this year's AO. He then goes on to turn that set around by winning the next five games:

https://twitter.com/TennisChannel/status/1361646864513175552?s=19

Federer was well known for emotional outbursts, racket stuff when he was younger. Some players do it, some don't, it happens.

Nadal even used to do it as a younger player until Uncle Tony said no more.

Emotional outbursts can also be beneficial for certain types of players.

It is utter nonsense that if someone has an emotional outburst they are automatically not going to do well after that. There are double standards of course with se players vs others.

Some players are quiet players, some are not. (some even during the points as a tactic) It's quite a variety.

I also believe your repeated Brady commentary is misplaced, as, that really isn't a big thing in her game compared to even the average tour player.

It would appear that you prefer players to contort themselves in a certain manner. And there is nothjng wrong with that. But as in any other sport or walk of life, there are a wide variety of different personalities, different temperaments. And there is not one way to be successful from that standpoint.

It's a results business.

We saw Brady falling apart, and getting demonstrably worse as a tennis player after doing so. We saw Medvedev go even further south after he smashed his racket. As for Novak ... we all saw him cost himself a potential U.S. Open title because he couldn't resist slapping at the ball in frustration; it was a "fluke," but it wouldn't have happened if he didn't do it. And Kyrgios ... he's just a punk who has won nothing.

Obviously, I don't really know what was going through Brady's mind. But I do have eyes, and I saw that her expressing her frustrations so often did not help her.

Watching players get upset with themselves, and even others, can be fun sometimes. But the ultimate test is does it help them or detract from what they are trying to do?

Maybe it's not a coincidence that Rafa became one of the all-time greats after Uncle Tony reined him in, you know?

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #374 on: February 21, 2021, 12:28:20 PM »
It's a results business.

We saw Brady falling apart, and getting demonstrably worse as a tennis player after doing so. We saw Medvedev go even further south after he smashed his racket. As for Novak ... we all saw him cost himself a potential U.S. Open title because he couldn't resist slapping at the ball in frustration; it was a "fluke," but it wouldn't have happened if he didn't do it. And Kyrgios ... he's just a punk who has won nothing.

Obviously, I don't really know what was going through Brady's mind. But I do have eyes, and I saw that her expressing her frustrations so often did not help her.

Watching players get upset with themselves, and even others, can be fun sometimes. But the ultimate test is does it help them or detract from what they are trying to do?

Maybe it's not a coincidence that Rafa became one of the all-time greats after Uncle Tony reined him in, you know?

Results business.

Plenty of players with elite results have been more emotional players, or more outspoken players while they play, or were a little more temperamental, or players that show their frustration often during a match. Just to name a few:

Maria Sharapova
Vika Azarenka
Serena Williams
Li Na
Justine Henin
Jennifer Capriati
Flavia Penetta
Jelena Ostapenko
Svetlana Kuznetsova
Monica Seles

Yevgeny Kafelnikov
Jimmy Connors
John McEnroe
Novak Djokovic
Andy Roddick
Thomas Muster
Boris Becker
Marat Safin
Lleyton Hewitt
Yannick Noah
Andre Agassi

I limited the list to just some of the Grand Slam Singles Champions since the 1980's. Fed was well known for it for years. And those listed are every match/frequent ones. We could find examples of Nadal being frustrated and temperamental in matches too. If we used ever or from time to time, every Men and Women's player would make the list. And of course one does not need to be a Grand Slam winner to be an all time great player.

There are many different personalities and temperaments in sports. And not surprisingly, there are many varieties of success of these different types.

You are confusing your preference with what does or doesn't work. Clearly there is more than one way to be successful at the highest levels.

Your Brady example is pretty bizarre because she isn't isn't exactly known for behavioral issues. And your sample size is tiny, end of Grand Slam Tourneys where she had, wait for it, great success. She didn't lose because of temperament or emotion etc...she lost a close match to the only active current player with at least four Grand Slam Singles titles besides Serena, Venus, Clijsters. That's it. That's the list.

One might say some players (or teams) would win even more if they had a different approach. But in the same breath, one can very comfortably say some of the things mentioned above allowed and helped them to win and get there in the first place. Many ways to do it.

Having a preference for this or that is something altogether different.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 12:54:25 PM by shoothoops »

feedback