[Today at 10:46:03 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Viper
[Today at 10:44:20 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:37:28 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Tennis  (Read 114301 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: Tennis
« Reply #325 on: February 17, 2021, 06:55:25 AM »
Tsitsipas outplayed Nadal.  He deserves a heck of a lot of credit.  Rafa made some uncharacteristic mistakes and looked gassed physically, but the better player won.  Unbelievable serving and power ground strokes.  Tough, tough, loss for Rafa.  He was 223-1 after leading two sets to none in g-slams.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #326 on: February 17, 2021, 09:26:36 AM »
22 year old Stef Tsitsipas over Nadal in 5 sets.

Tsitsipas improved his serve mechanics and service landing in the middle of the match. He was dominant when moving forward, not getting pushed back off of the baseline. And he came up with big forehands and cross court backhands. He started winning the longer rallies too forcing Nadal to press for shorter points. And he played a thinking person's game. Not a lot of break point opportunities either way.

Very strong, mentally, emotionally, physically, building on his improvement at Moratoglou. He's been putting it all together for a while, and, he still has room for improvement (backhand up the line etc)

Nadal loses in a Slam for just the 2nd time when uo two sets (Fognini U.S. Open) and for just the 3rd time. However, in five set matches, Nadal won 15 of his first 18 five set matches. Since, he has won just 7 of 16 five set matches.

Nadal has made the Quarterfinals or better at the AO 13 times, but has just the one title. (Winning Grand Slams are not easy)

Tsitsipas also defeated Federer in the 2019 Rd of 16 in Australia.

He will get Medvedev next, who continues his strong play over Rublev.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 09:30:14 AM by shoothoops »

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #327 on: February 17, 2021, 10:25:24 AM »
American Rajeev Ram into the semis in both doubles and mixed doubles. Went to high school in Carmel, Indiana and then went to University of Illinois.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #328 on: February 17, 2021, 10:58:11 AM »
Bummed about Rafa's loss. Literally gave away 3 points in the tiebreaker, plus 2 others he probably should have won. Didn't seem fatal at the time, of course, but when you open the door, sometimes your opponent will step through.

Energized, Tsitsipas started really serving well, and his forehand was devastating. And I agree with Muggsy and shoot about Nadal seeming tired. That's a very rare look for a guy who has made a career out of wearing out the opposition, but he's not a kid any more.

This was always going to be a difficult event for Rafa to win. His least-favorite major on his least-favorite surface, coming off a layoff, with his back a little balky (at least at the start). But this still was a tough way to lose.

I still say this is no sign of any kind of "changing of the guard," and it won't be even if Djokovic loses (which he probably won't). Let's see Tsitsipas do that to Rafa on clay or to Djokovic on grass/hardcourt. Let's see any of them do it.

When we see somebody other than the big 3 winning the majority of majors, I'll believe it.

As much as I love watching Rafa, Djokovic and Roger, it would be nice to see another player or two emerge as dominant. Maybe it'll happen. We'll see!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #329 on: February 17, 2021, 11:32:25 AM »
Bummed about Rafa's loss. Literally gave away 3 points in the tiebreaker, plus 2 others he probably should have won. Didn't seem fatal at the time, of course, but when you open the door, sometimes your opponent will step through.

Energized, Tsitsipas started really serving well, and his forehand was devastating. And I agree with Muggsy and shoot about Nadal seeming tired. That's a very rare look for a guy who has made a career out of wearing out the opposition, but he's not a kid any more.

This was always going to be a difficult event for Rafa to win. His least-favorite major on his least-favorite surface, coming off a layoff, with his back a little balky (at least at the start). But this still was a tough way to lose.

I still say this is no sign of any kind of "changing of the guard," and it won't be even if Djokovic loses (which he probably won't). Let's see Tsitsipas do that to Rafa on clay or to Djokovic on grass/hardcourt. Let's see any of them do it.

When we see somebody other than the big 3 winning the majority of majors, I'll believe it.

As much as I love watching Rafa, Djokovic and Roger, it would be nice to see another player or two emerge as dominant. Maybe it'll happen. We'll see!

Yes.  Was a real bummer.  Tsitsipas dictated play after the breaker.  He was winning most of the longer rallies.  Rafa didn't get to practice much before the tournament but that's no excuse.  Tsitsipas took it to him his wide serves and some wicked backhands up the line.  He also moves incredibly well for a big man.   That should be a dandy semi.  I suppose I'm now rooting for the Greek kid.  I could go for some grilled octopus or lavraki. 

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #330 on: February 17, 2021, 11:32:41 AM »
American Rajeev Ram into the semis in both doubles and mixed doubles. Went to high school in Carmel, Indiana and then went to University of Illinois.

Rajeev, long time elite American Doubles player, playing with a variety of partners.  He finally turned the Slam corner in 2019 adding Grand Slam titles too. Seeking 20th Doubles title.

Previous AO Doubles Champ w/Joe Salisbury, didn't face a break point, and lost just six points on serve. He also has won Mixed title at the AO with current partner Barbara Krejcikova.

Played briefly at U of Illinois winning both Doubles and Team National Title. He's also a volunteer assistant coach at Cal Berkeley. Partnered with Venus Williams once for Olympic Silver.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #331 on: February 17, 2021, 11:33:26 AM »
Sofia Kenin had her appendix removed Monday in Australia and is doing fine.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #332 on: February 17, 2021, 11:40:51 AM »
Yes.  Was a real bummer.  Tsitsipas dictated play after the breaker.  He was winning most of the longer rallies.  Rafa didn't get to practice much before the tournament but that's no excuse.  Tsitsipas took it to him his wide serves and some wicked backhands up the line.  He also moves incredibly well for a big man.   That should be a dandy semi.  I suppose I'm now rooting for the Greek kid.  I could go for some grilled octopus or lavraki.

I guess the "bonus" for me is that I will spend less time watching the tournament now. I'm first and foremost a Rafa fan, so when he gets eliminated from a major, it becomes less interesting to me. I've always been the same way with the NCAA tourney after MU gets eliminated (a problem we wish we'd have this season). At least at first, anyway. After a day or two, I'll settle into being just a fan of good tennis.

I am looking forward to Osaka-Williams tonight, and it's even supposed to start at a reasonable time. Probably won't watch every second of it, but I'll be checking in frequently.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #333 on: February 17, 2021, 12:14:54 PM »
I guess the "bonus" for me is that I will spend less time watching the tournament now. I'm first and foremost a Rafa fan, so when he gets eliminated from a major, it becomes less interesting to me. I've always been the same way with the NCAA tourney after MU gets eliminated (a problem we wish we'd have this season). At least at first, anyway. After a day or two, I'll settle into being just a fan of good tennis.

I am looking forward to Osaka-Williams tonight, and it's even supposed to start at a reasonable time. Probably won't watch every second of it, but I'll be checking in frequently.

I hear ya. I'll still watch but it sucks without Rafa.  I'm an insomniac so the late matches don't bother me that much.  Hopefully Rafa will be in form for the French. Serena seems to be moving as well as she did 4-5 yrs ago.  That should be an entertaining match. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #334 on: February 17, 2021, 01:01:51 PM »
I have to admit that I'll be pulling against Djokovic because I want Rafa to be the all-time winner of grand slams and Novak is only 3 behind.

But I do admire Novak's immense talent, so I won't be rooting that hard against him. I mostly marvel at the shots he comes up with over and over again.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #335 on: February 17, 2021, 02:32:50 PM »
I have to admit that I'll be pulling against Djokovic because I want Rafa to be the all-time winner of grand slams and Novak is only 3 behind.

But I do admire Novak's immense talent, so I won't be rooting that hard against him. I mostly marvel at the shots he comes up with over and over again.

I think you’re gonna be white knuckling that one.  Even though they aren’t that much different in age, it feels like Rafa is slowing just a bit off of clay, at least in the majors.  Only 2 non-French GS titles in the last 5 years (obviously US Open and Wimbledon last year are an asterisk but he’s not made a Wimbledon final in a decade) and then another 2 F appearances Down Under.  Novak has 5 plus a French runner up.  Forseeably he’s going to be a hard court/grass heavy contender in 3 majors a year while Nadal adds a French Open title each year. If he wins this week, and then continues his dominance on grass, he’ll be breathing down Nadal’s neck even if he likely repeats at Roland Garros.  And he’s so freakish with health and fitness, it’s not crazy to think of him having another 4-5 years of this

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #336 on: February 17, 2021, 02:33:41 PM »

Agreed.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #337 on: February 17, 2021, 05:49:30 PM »
Congratulations to Belgian Joachim Gerard for winning the Australian Open Men's Singles Wheelchair Division, his first and Belgium's first. He's come super close before.

Diede De Groot wins the Women's Wheelchair Singles Division. It's her 3rd AO Grand Slam Singles Title, and 8th overall.

Local Dylan Alcott has now won the AO Singles and Doubles Quad Division for a 5th straight year. He has won 7 straight AO Men's Singles Quad Division. (12 overall)

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #338 on: February 17, 2021, 08:56:24 PM »
Hard to predict Serena/Naomi.  Who ya got?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #339 on: February 17, 2021, 10:00:09 PM »
I think you’re gonna be white knuckling that one.  Even though they aren’t that much different in age, it feels like Rafa is slowing just a bit off of clay, at least in the majors.  Only 2 non-French GS titles in the last 5 years (obviously US Open and Wimbledon last year are an asterisk but he’s not made a Wimbledon final in a decade) and then another 2 F appearances Down Under.  Novak has 5 plus a French runner up.  Forseeably he’s going to be a hard court/grass heavy contender in 3 majors a year while Nadal adds a French Open title each year. If he wins this week, and then continues his dominance on grass, he’ll be breathing down Nadal’s neck even if he likely repeats at Roland Garros.  And he’s so freakish with health and fitness, it’s not crazy to think of him having another 4-5 years of this

Agree with all of this ... except I really won't be doing too much white-knuckling because I so admire and enjoy Novak's game, too.

If Novak ends up with, say, 23 and Rafa ends up with 21, I'm not gonna think any less of Rafa. His tennis has entertained me for nearly two decades.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #340 on: February 17, 2021, 10:03:20 PM »
Serena is getting blown off the court.  Didn't expect this at all.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #341 on: February 17, 2021, 10:38:02 PM »
Serena battles back to make it 4-4 in the 2nd set and serves to take the lead.

4 times, she couldn't get her first serve in. 3 times, Naomi punished Serena's second serve with amazing shots; the other time Serena double-faulted.

Then, Naomi served. Got all 4 in - 1 ace, 2 winners, and the last which set up the winning 3-shot rally.

Very impressive. Can't see her losing. If she stays motivated, she can dominate women's tennis for years. Watching her postgame interview was a pleasure - she seems to get great joy from tennis and from competing.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #342 on: February 17, 2021, 10:40:19 PM »
Serena battles back to make it 4-4 in the 2nd set and serves to take the lead.

4 times, she couldn't get her first serve in. 3 times, Naomi punished Serena's second serve with amazing shots; the other time Serena double-faulted.

Then, Naomi served. Got all 4 in - 1 ace, 2 winners, and the last which set up the winning 3-shot rally.

Very impressive. Can't see her losing. If she stays motivated, she can dominate women's tennis for years. Watching her postgame interview was a pleasure - she seems to get great joy from tennis and from competing.

Osaka isn't losing.  I'm not sure Serena will get 24.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #343 on: February 17, 2021, 10:53:15 PM »
Osaka over Serena.

Missed early opportunities for Serena to go up 3-0 early, and to break after that as well. Need to stomp there and take advantage. Let Naomi off the hook until Naomi raised her level.

Serena stopped moving well after that. A step slow.  1st serve wasn't good enough, (missed or short) and neither was 2nd serve return after strong start. Took a while to center Naomi's top spin kick serve. And, she moved back too far in rallies. Naomi pace, depth, forward, disguise, dictate move the ball all three sections of the court from center baseline. Lots of angle and precision.

Shaky start for Naomi early, but then a ground stroke clinic from the center of the baseline.

Serena found the angles early and got away from them for a while. Stayed back way too far. Too many short balls, too easy for Naomi.

Naomi improved her serve a while, until 4-3 in the 2nd set, then level dropped again. Serena just not getting enough from her serve and Naomi too good from backcourt, often inside the baseline with balance and leverage moving forward.

Two elite games to close out the match.

It doesn't take a lot to change the course of a match.

Neither served well but Osaka won 65% 2nd serve.

It's the best SW has played tournament-wise in a while. This level, including some big wins in a tougher draw, will keep her in the GS hunt for thr forseeable future.

20 straight for Osaka. A possible rematch with Brady in the final. Their U.S. 2020 Open was a thriller. (Muchova capable.)

« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 10:57:22 PM by shoothoops »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #344 on: February 18, 2021, 01:13:35 AM »
For me, it seemed like Serena broke a bit mentally earlier on. Big screams and emotional outpours on fairly normal points. Like she needed to jumpstart/motivate herself, maybe try to shake Osaka. Just didn’t work. Credit to her for breaking back late in the 2nd when Osaka was on cruise control, but Osaka is just too good. It’s such an interesting contrast. Both powerful strikers who can overpower and take control of the match, but Osaka is just so level and consistent emotionally, compared to how much Serena vacillates, good and bad.

Will be interesting to see what Brady has left, Muchova has to be kicking herself for the multiple unforced errors in that final game. She was ALL OVER Brady’s shaky second serve, but just kept faltering on break points. Credit to Brady, she had all the makings of a melt letting that final game get to deuce, but she is a bulldog.

I feel like Osaka may roll her, 6-3 6-3 ish. Brady has seemed unsteady since late in the second set against Vekic, but we shall see.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #345 on: February 18, 2021, 08:20:42 AM »
Serena is fine. 2nd straight Grand Slam semifinal. Big ask to go back to back to back over Sabalenka, Halep, then Osaka.

Osaka was down match points in the Round of 16. She lost in the 3rd Round to Gauff last year. Tennis changes from time to time.

Little things have to go one's way, sometimes to close out a Slam title. Draws don't hurt either, match time etc...

As for the Final, Brady needs to play a better first set than her last two matches which had not enough margin, and too many unforced errors. She is certainly capable. She will need more spin and margin. Brady adds a bit more slice and variety, and movement. She can absorb the Osaka power. Brady is a very mentally strong player.

Brady, often a candid interview subject, mentioned that it took her some time, too much time to settle her nerves, And she added that when that happens, your feet and legs can get heavy. You may think you are moving well, but you aren't. This happened to Serena a bit after missing early chances while playing well.

There will be some temptation to not want to hit long with Osaka, but a little more topspin margin is more likely to bother Osaka a little bit. And Brady is good at playing angles in order to move Osaka a little bit. You have to move Osaka around to have a chance.

Nerves are a part of sport. Emotion is a part of sport. Different players play different ways. Serena historically is a player that needs to let it all out from time to time while playing. That's actually fine for her personality and temperament.

Serena knew she missed a big opportunity to take the first set. Her next big chance came 4-4 in the 2nd, and, right after a strong game to pull even, Osaka elevated her level the final two games. Credit to Naomi.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 09:01:54 AM by shoothoops »

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #346 on: February 18, 2021, 08:46:29 AM »
If things play out right today, there is a chance Joe Salisbury and Rajeev Ram will be teammates in the Men's Doubles Final, and opponents in the Mixed Doubles Final.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #347 on: February 18, 2021, 10:55:28 AM »
Djokovic, of course.

Karatsev acquitted himself well, I suppose, but it was still straight sets, including a 6-2 final. Djokovic is just too good and was never, ever, ever running a risk of not winning the match. It was a good sweat for him, a really heavy practice session. It would have been a monumental upset - one of the biggest in tennis in years - had Karatsev won.

I really liked the way Tsitsipas played against Rafa and I like his chances against Medvedev if he can play that way again. Either Tsitsipas or Medvedev could give Novak a nice run in the finals.

Brady needs to learn how to control her emotions. She's gonna get herself in trouble, the way Djokovic did at the U.S. Open - slapping the ball in frustration and hitting somebody. It's childish. She's not a kid.

Like Wags, I can't really see her beating Osaka. I'm also thinking straight sets.

I liked Muchova; I'm not sure I'd ever seen her play before. She had a lot of fight and took it right to Brady. She just wasn't good enough.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #348 on: February 18, 2021, 12:54:55 PM »
Brady and Osaka played a few months ago at 2020 U.S. Open. Close 3 sets. The difference was a tie breaker.

In that match, Osaka had 35 winners to just 17 unforced errors. And she served extremely well. 43/51 service points. And it was still that close.

Against Muguruza in the AO Rd of 16, Osaka was down 5-3 in the third and saved multiple match points. She needed 40 winners to overcome some unforced errors and the play of Garbi. And, she had to serve 92% to take a close set.

Osaka plays her best in the biggest moments. Down early v Serena as well as at 4-4 in the third. Down 5-3 to Muguruza. Tiebreaker v Brady.

Both players will have to play well to have a chance to win. Either one can win it and it wouldn't be a big surprise. It's a preferred surface for both.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #349 on: February 19, 2021, 08:15:17 AM »
If things play out right today, there is a chance Joe Salisbury and Rajeev Ram will be teammates in the Men's Doubles Final, and opponents in the Mixed Doubles Final.

Rajeev will in fact play in both the Men's Doubles Final, and the Mixed Doubles Final.

Two very strong Women's singles players have won the AO Women's Doubles Title. Two seeds, Elise Mertens and Aryna Sabalenka.

Medvedev over Tsitsipas to face Djokovic in the Men's Singles Finals. 20 in a row for Medvedev. It's a big ask to back up a 5 set Nadal win. Great showing at AO for Tsitsipas. If he can keep improving his service return and backhand, he will keep turning that corner.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 06:01:04 AM by shoothoops »