[Today at 01:20:38 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[Today at 12:27:48 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by Nutty
[Today at 11:20:42 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:37:28 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Tennis  (Read 114324 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Tennis
« Reply #250 on: February 12, 2021, 10:01:22 AM »
Novak guts out an incredible win over Fritz. He was obviously in serious pain, but it looked like the pain-killers must have kicked in because he was moving much better in the 5th set.

As soon as Fritz blinked - as soon as he couldn't ride only his serve to point after point - he was done for.

Fritz is the typical big hitter whose overall game is inferior to the best pros. If the serve is on and he doesn't make too many unforced errors, he has a chance. If his serve isn't close to perfect (and/or if his opponent isn't injured), he isn't good enough.

After the match, Djokovic said his injury was "a tear," which if true could keep him from winning. With Rafa also hurting some, this is shaping up as another wide-open major.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #251 on: February 12, 2021, 10:37:16 AM »
Novak guts out an incredible win over Fritz. He was obviously in serious pain, but it looked like the pain-killers must have kicked in because he was moving much better in the 5th set.

As soon as Fritz blinked - as soon as he couldn't ride only his serve to point after point - he was done for.

Fritz is the typical big hitter whose overall game is inferior to the best pros. If the serve is on and he doesn't make too many unforced errors, he has a chance. If his serve isn't close to perfect (and/or if his opponent isn't injured), he isn't good enough.

After the match, Djokovic said his injury was "a tear," which if true could keep him from winning. With Rafa also hurting some, this is shaping up as another wide-open major.

I think your assessment if Fritz is a bit too dismissive and short sighted. Fritz' game is a bit different from some of the Big Man tennis players like an Isner etc.... He has better cross court groundstrokes, variety, top spin lob etc...much better movement than some in that category. He also isn't at the level yet of a Medvedev, Zverev and a few others closer to his size. His game is a bit different. He's in the middle.

He's made the Top 32 in all of his past four Slams, coming very close to Shapovalov at the U.S. Open, Djokovic here etc...5 setters. He's been very consistently steadily progressing and is a player that is sitting just outside the top 20 in the World that is working towards taking the next step.

Winning Slams isn't an easy thing to do. Djokovjc for example, didn't start his run of winning Slams until he was Fritz' age and after.

Fritz recently turned 23, and he has made some good choices with coaches in Nainkin and Annacone. He's also divorced with a small child at a young age. He's had a lot going on.

Fritz has been working off the court on some physical things that can help him take the next step in his game, to be a 2nd weekend Slam player, snd beyond,  to be able to grind the distance.

He doesn't have to be Federer or Nadal or Djokovic. There's a big World of Tennis out there outside of three players.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #252 on: February 12, 2021, 10:56:51 AM »
I think your assessment if Fritz is a bit too dismissive and short sighted. Fritz' game is a bit different from some of the Big Man tennis players like an Isner etc.... He has better cross court groundstrokes, variety, top spin lob etc...much better movement than some in that category. He also isn't at the level yet of a Medvedev, Zverev and a few others closer to his size. His game is a bit different. He's in the middle.

He's made the Top 32 in all of his past four Slams, coming very close to Shapovalov at the U.S. Open, Djokovic here etc...5 setters. He's been very consistently steadily progressing and is a player that is sitting just outside the top 20 in the World that is working towards taking the next step.

Winning Slams isn't an easy thing to do. Djokovjc for example, didn't start his run of winning Slams until he was Fritz' age and after.

Fritz recently turned 23, and he has made some good choices with coaches in Nainkin and Annacone. He's also divorced with a small child at a young age. He's had a lot going on.

Fritz has been working off the court on some physical things that can help him take the next step in his game, to be a 2nd weekend Slam player, snd beyond,  to be able to grind the distance.

He doesn't have to be Federer or Nadal or Djokovic. There's a big World of Tennis out there outside of three players.

I will defer to your knowledge of Fritz. I've seen him only a few times, and every time if he was serving superbly he was dominating and if he wasn't he was flailing.

I'd love to see a few of the younger guys actually make a stand. Maybe he'll be one of them.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #253 on: February 12, 2021, 11:21:41 AM »
I will defer to your knowledge of Fritz. I've seen him only a few times, and every time if he was serving superbly he was dominating and if he wasn't he was flailing.

I'd love to see a few of the younger guys actually make a stand. Maybe he'll be one of them.

Taylor is former World Junior #1 player. So he’s been around the block a time or two at the highest levels.

I think there is a bit more variety of games with some of the bigger players.

Fun fact: For a long time, many of the Grand Slam winners were roughly 6’1 or so in height. Fed, Sampras, Nadal, Djokovic is maybe 6’2 and so on. It’s as if it has been a sweet spot of height for some of the best players. Just under and just over 6 feet.

Sure you have had some outliers, Del Potro is 6’6 with one of the gamea best forehands. And of course you have had past grass court players and other exceptions. Edberg, Becker, etc...

Medvedev and Zverev are a newer type of player, big guys that can move and sit out there all day with groundstrokes.

Fritz is about 6’4. In hoops he would be someone that is food at different things, but is trying to complete his game and handles.

He’s not going to be Zverev or Medvedev. And that’s okay. But he has more long term potential and ability than some Big Man, Isner type of players. He does need to serve well to be successful. But he can return serve, he has some of the shot variety that I mentioned. He is still putting it all together. And I believe physically and mentally off the court are recent points of emphasis with him.

Isner for example, is what he is. He is a big man tennis player that is limited probably mostly by his return of serve. Interestingly enough he has had some
success on clay getting more time to return.

Now Fritz may or may not turn the corner, etc..but if you watch him play or practice, you can see the progression. He isn’t there yet, but I believe he can be a more consistent 2nd weekend player, and make a run once in a while. And that’s pretty good.

Your favorite Jenn Brady, didn’t turn a corner until after she was 25 years old. Then she started winning titles, making Slam Semis and looks pretty good so far in Melbourne.

We’ll see.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #254 on: February 12, 2021, 11:43:46 AM »
Huh?

I will make an exception responding here, after your previously ridiculous, discriminatory Women's tennis comments.

I think you forgot the part where his opponent is the defending U.S. Open Champion. Thiem has made 4 Grand Slam Finals in the past few years. He's ranked 3rd in the world and has been ranked in the top 10 for 4.5 years. You can like who you like. But no objective person has had anything but praise for Kyrgios' play and effort last night. 5 sets, a match that can go either way against one of the world's best.

So I'm prejudiced against women because I wrote that I find women's tennis not as compelling as men's tennis?  And I'm also prejudiced because I raised concerns about biological males eventually infiltrating their sport?  That's your take?   

MU82

• All American
« Reply #255 on: February 12, 2021, 01:14:14 PM »
Taylor is former World Junior #1 player. So he’s been around the block a time or two at the highest levels.

I think there is a bit more variety of games with some of the bigger players.

Fun fact: For a long time, many of the Grand Slam winners were roughly 6’1 or so in height. Fed, Sampras, Nadal, Djokovic is maybe 6’2 and so on. It’s as if it has been a sweet spot of height for some of the best players. Just under and just over 6 feet.

Sure you have had some outliers, Del Potro is 6’6 with one of the gamea best forehands. And of course you have had past grass court players and other exceptions. Edberg, Becker, etc...

Medvedev and Zverev are a newer type of player, big guys that can move and sit out there all day with groundstrokes.

Fritz is about 6’4. In hoops he would be someone that is food at different things, but is trying to complete his game and handles.

He’s not going to be Zverev or Medvedev. And that’s okay. But he has more long term potential and ability than some Big Man, Isner type of players. He does need to serve well to be successful. But he can return serve, he has some of the shot variety that I mentioned. He is still putting it all together. And I believe physically and mentally off the court are recent points of emphasis with him.

Isner for example, is what he is. He is a big man tennis player that is limited probably mostly by his return of serve. Interestingly enough he has had some
success on clay getting more time to return.

Now Fritz may or may not turn the corner, etc..but if you watch him play or practice, you can see the progression. He isn’t there yet, but I believe he can be a more consistent 2nd weekend player, and make a run once in a while. And that’s pretty good.

Your favorite Jenn Brady, didn’t turn a corner until after she was 25 years old. Then she started winning titles, making Slam Semis and looks pretty good so far in Melbourne.

We’ll see.

Thanks for all that on Fritz. You are Mr. Tennis.

I can pretty safely say that I will never watch Fritz or any other athlete practice - and I'm talking about tennis, golf, basketball, badminton, curling, Jarts, you name it. I guess I'm the fan version of Allen Iverson - "Practice? You talkin' 'bout practice?"

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #256 on: February 13, 2021, 07:07:10 AM »
Thanks for all that on Fritz. You are Mr. Tennis.

I can pretty safely say that I will never watch Fritz or any other athlete practice - and I'm talking about tennis, golf, basketball, badminton, curling, Jarts, you name it. I guess I'm the fan version of Allen Iverson - "Practice? You talkin' 'bout practice?"

Thanks, but I just think less people post about tennis. I like, play, coach, watch, a variety of sports. It's a good sport.

Not all practices are created equal, but, when done well, it's where the magic happens.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #257 on: February 13, 2021, 07:26:07 AM »
It's starts with 128, but, the 2021 Australian Open reached the Round of 16.

25% of the Women's Round of 16 is American. (5 if you count Osaka)

Ash Barty vs Shelby Rogers
Elise Mertens vs Karolina Muchova
Donna Vekic vs Jennifer Brady
Jessica Pegula vs Elina Svitolina
Hsieh Su-wei vs Marketa Vondrousova
Garbi Muguruza vs Naomi Osaka
Aryna Sabalenka vs Serena Williams
Iga Swiatek vs Simona Halep

Favored players don't always win which is how we got here and why it's fun.

Barty is favored
Mertens is favored
Vekic v Brady toss up
Svitolna favored
Vondrousova favored
Muguruza v Osaka is a toss up
Sabalenka v Serena is a toss up
Halep is favored/toss up

Men's Round of 16

Djokovic v Raonic
Lajovic v Zverev
Thiem v Dmitrov
Auger-Aliassime v Karatsev
Rublev v Ruud
McDonald v Medvedev
Tsitsipas v Berretini
Fognini v Nadal

Djokovic will be favored
Zverev favored
Thiem favored
FAA favored
Rublev favored
Medvedev favored
Toss Up
Nadal favored

You See Elle Aye has two Americans in the Round of 16 w/Jenn Brady and Mackie McDonald.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #258 on: February 13, 2021, 10:06:43 AM »
I'm feeling a little better about Rafa's chances today. He looked superb against Norrie, a good player who tested him. Rafa moved easily, hit a lot of blistering shots from both sides (especially forehand), served well. He even seemed to benefit from the court being hard - but of course Norrie is not a big hitter.

Next comes Fognini. He has beaten Rafa before ... but not this time!

Wonder what the latest is on Djokovic. Hope he's doing better.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #259 on: February 13, 2021, 10:23:47 AM »
I'm feeling a little better about Rafa's chances today. He looked superb against Norrie, a good player who tested him. Rafa moved easily, hit a lot of blistering shots from both sides (especially forehand), served well. He even seemed to benefit from the court being hard - but of course Norrie is not a big hitter.

Is he thwacking his serve big enough and unloading bombs from both sides?  Or is it more consistency and slowly bludgeoning his opponents?   Djoker looks injured but there are some big hitters that can overpower Rafa on a good day.  Zverev looks dangerous to me.  I think he's improved his serve.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #260 on: February 13, 2021, 10:33:50 AM »

Nadal vs Fognini is a bit of an unexpected outside of the box matchup. If the current AO Fognini of patience and precision shows up, he will perhaps force Nadal to grind a bit. If it isn't that Fognini version, he will be out quickly.

Djokovic gets Raonic, who will be more of a Big Man tennis player to some extent which will mean shorter points, which is helpful for him. A bad matchup would have been being forced to move a lot, playing extra balls etc...but Raonic is very capable.

Jennifer Brady is into the Women's Round of 16 having lost only 11 games. We are trying to confirm but I believe if you read her lips post match, she appears to say "Stick it MU82" ...

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #261 on: February 13, 2021, 04:22:40 PM »
100% agree about Fogini.  If he focuses and grinds, which he can do, and has done, he can give Nadal a lot of trouble.

If, on the other hand, he goes "full Italian" constantly bitching and complaining and wildly hitting the ball, it will be a short evening of work for Nadal.

I guess it depends on what Fogini's betting paymasters want of him (yes, this has long been rumored about him.  Betting on Tennis is HUGE in Asia and the Middle East and match-fixing is a big problem).

Joker is supposedly hurt and might not continue.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #262 on: February 13, 2021, 04:46:26 PM »
100% agree about Fogini.  If he focuses and grinds, which he can do, and has done, he can give Nadal a lot of trouble.

If, on the other hand, he goes "full Italian" constantly bitching and complaining and wildly hitting the ball, it will be a short evening of work for Nadal.

I guess it depends on what Fogini's betting paymasters want of him (yes, this has long been rumored about him.  Betting on Tennis is HUGE in Asia and the Middle East and match-fixing is a big problem).

Joker is supposedly hurt and might not continue.

Wow ... in one short post you managed to spell Fognini's name wrong repeatedly, make some kind of anti-Italian slur, and accuse him of being on the take.

Hat trick! Congrats!

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #263 on: February 13, 2021, 04:53:53 PM »
Wow ... in one short post you managed to spell Fognini's name wrong repeatedly, make some kind of anti-Italian slur, and accuse him of being on the take.

Hat trick! Congrats!

Feign outrage.

https://www.tennisworldusa.org/tennis/news/Tennis_Stories/31043/matchfixing-controversy-37-suspicious-matches-possible-involvement-of-two-top20-players-/
But it does not end here. Fabio Fognini has been cited by Sole 24 Ore Newspaper, for allegedly fixing his match against Simone Vagnozzi in the 2011 Barcelona Open. The Italian newspaper says that Bracciali and Bruni wanted to bet on the match, because Bracciali knew that Fognini was not physically fit, but he was not contacted.

There are no real proofs however. Also though too many bets were placed on Fognini on an unspecified betting site, while on Betfair, much money was placed on Vagnozzi. The match fixing allegations for this match came up because an anonymous person revealed on Betfair that with Fognini leading 6-2 2-1 (and eventually retiring while the score was 6-2 2-4), 60,000 euros were placed on the victory of his opponent.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 05:05:44 PM by Heisenberg v2.0 »
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #264 on: February 13, 2021, 06:54:08 PM »

There are no real proofs however.

Feign charge by you.

And an anti-Italian slur.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #265 on: February 13, 2021, 07:57:55 PM »
Whoa... Osaka down 5-3 in the 3rd set. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #266 on: February 13, 2021, 08:13:00 PM »
Whoa... Osaka down 5-3 in the 3rd set.

My god what a finish. Down 5-3, then 2 set points against her down 15-40....then she storms back and blasts her way to 4 straight games to take the third 7-5

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #267 on: February 13, 2021, 08:14:55 PM »
My god what a finish. Down 5-3, then 2 set points against her down 15-40....then she storms back and blasts her way to 4 straight games to take the third 7-5

That's impressive. 

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #268 on: February 13, 2021, 08:16:17 PM »
As expected, Garbi Muguruza and Naomi Osaka was a popcorn Grand Slam Final Matchup in the Round of 16, that could go either way.

Somehow Osaka survives 2 match points and comes back to win 4-6, 6-4, 7-5. Big hitting, both sides, strong serving from both, strong returning. Quiet easy power, angles, movement. Both had been dominant prior. Muguruza with 2 Grand Slam Titles, Osaka with 3. Muguruza is a different player when working with Conchita Martinez. But she will think about that one slipping away for a little while. Osaka rose to the occasion to take it late 3rd set.

Really enjoyable.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 08:19:26 PM by shoothoops »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #269 on: February 13, 2021, 11:06:18 PM »
Back to Back Popcorn matches on the same court. Serena Williams advances with a 6-4, 2-6, 6-4 popcorn match win over Aryna Sabalenka. Easily could have been a final. improved movement a difference maker for SW so far this year. Big hitting and serving from both players.

Hard to believe Muguruza and Sabalenka are out at rhe Round of 16 when both easily could have won the tourney.

Osaka advances to face Hsieh Su-wei, the oldest first time Grand Slam Quarter Finalist at 35. She'll see lots of finesse, variety, creativity, and someone great at the net.

Serena will face the winner of Swiatek and Halep, another Grand Slam winner matchup.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #270 on: February 14, 2021, 12:46:56 AM »
Theim in huge trouble vs Dimitrov.  Down 2 sets and not sharp at all. 

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #271 on: February 14, 2021, 08:49:12 AM »
It's starts with 128, but, the 2021 Australian Open reached the Round of 16.

25% of the Women's Round of 16 is American. (5 if you count Osaka)

Ash Barty vs Shelby Rogers
Elise Mertens vs Karolina Muchova
Donna Vekic vs Jennifer Brady
Jessica Pegula vs Elina Svitolina
Hsieh Su-Wei vs Marketa Vondrousova
Garbi Muguruza vs Naomi Osaka
Aryna Sabalenka vs Serena Williams
Iga Swiatek vs Simona Halep

Favored players don't always win which is how we got here and why it's fun.

Barty is favored
Mertens is favored
Vekic v Brady toss up
Svitolna favored
Vondrousova favored
Muguruza v Osaka is a toss up
Sabalenka v Serena is a toss up
Halep is favored/toss up

Men's Round of 16

Djokovic v Raonic
Lajovic v Zverev
Thiem v Dmitrov
Auger-Aliassime v Karatsev
Rublev v Ruud
McDonald v Medvedev
Tsitsipas v Berretini
Fognini v Nadal

Djokovic will be favored
Zverev favored
Thiem favored
FAA favored
Rublev favored
Medvedev favored
Toss Up
Nadal favored

You See Elle Aye has two Americans in the Round of 16 w/Jenn Brady and Mackie McDonald.

Half of the Australian Open Quarterfinals are booked:

Women:

Hsieh Su-Wei v Naomi Osaka
Serena Williams v Simona Halep.

Men:

Novak Djokovic v Alexander Zverev
Grigor Dmitrov v Aslan Karatsev

Su-Wei, a quarterfinalist for the first time at 35. Osaka seeking her fourth Grand Slam Singles Title.

Serena Williams seeking her 24 Grand Slam Singles Title. Simona Halep is seeking her 3rd Grand Slam Singles Title.

Halep comes back from down a set to take out French Open Champ Iga Swiatek. Changing tactics, variety, and experience the difference.

Grigor Dmitrov has quietly dominated his AO matches thus far taking out U.S. Open Champ Dominic Thiem decidedly in straight sets. Thiem was coming off 6-4 in 5th over Kyrgios.

27 year old Russian Qualifier Aslan Karatsev comes back from down two sets to eliminate Felix Auger Aliassime.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #272 on: February 14, 2021, 09:00:42 AM »
Looking forward to Nadal-Fognini and Djokovic-Zverev.

Definitely looking forward to the likely Serena-Naomi semifinal.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #273 on: February 14, 2021, 09:13:15 AM »
Looking forward to Nadal-Fognini and Djokovic-Zverev.

Definitely looking forward to the likely Serena-Naomi semifinal.

Osaka will be a heavy favorite in her Quarterfinal. Hsieh Su-Wei one kf the funniest and most likable players on tour deadpanned that Osaka will probably crush her but she will go play anyway. She's cagey and she has a very unique game that won't be the power game Osaka would prefer to see.

Serena v Halep is a toss up on paper. Halep has won two Slams, has been a top 10 player seven straight years. And she has the type of game that could keep Serena on court for a few hours because of her defense, variety, and fitness. Serena will have to serve well, and keep up her strong movement and she'd be in good position to advance.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #274 on: February 14, 2021, 09:46:48 AM »
This Karatsev guy is #251 in the rankings?  Amazing. 

feedback