[Today at 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[Today at 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[Today at 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[Today at 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Tennis  (Read 114404 times)

shoothoops

• All American
Re: Tennis
« Reply #225 on: February 10, 2021, 02:16:36 PM »
So why aren’t they using replay at this tournament?

They are using an electric line calling system for COVID-19 reasons. It automatically shows close call replays on the big screen. It’s a different technology than the long used Hawk-Eye system. They tested it out in about half a dozen tournaments prior to Australian Open.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #226 on: February 10, 2021, 02:52:59 PM »
They are using an electric line calling system for COVID-19 reasons. It automatically shows close call replays on the big screen. It’s a different technology than the long used Hawk-Eye system. They tested it out in about half a dozen tournaments prior to Australian Open.

Hmmm. It didn't work on an obviously long shot right near the end of the Djokovic-Tiafoe match.

It wouldn't have mattered in the result, but the ball was well out - several inches - and Tiafoe was already pissed off because he had a first serve taken away due to time and because the umpire let Djokovic take his time changing a racket. So that just made him more upset.

Seems silly, because the old system worked well, and I don't know how COVID-19 makes this any better or worse.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #227 on: February 10, 2021, 04:48:24 PM »
Hmmm. It didn't work on an obviously long shot right near the end of the Djokovic-Tiafoe match.

It wouldn't have mattered in the result, but the ball was well out - several inches - and Tiafoe was already pissed off because he had a first serve taken away due to time and because the umpire let Djokovic take his time changing a racket. So that just made him more upset.

Seems silly, because the old system worked well, and I don't know how COVID-19 makes this any better or worse.

The new system means less line judges and people on and near the court during the Pandemic. That is why they are using it this event.

Hawk-Eye Technology (The previous replay system that is more widely used) has been around roughly 15 years. More recently (2019) it has developed a "Live" version the past couple of years. Australian Open is using a "Live" version. (Australian Open was first Grand Slam to use Hawk-Eye technology in 2007)

The U.S. Open 2020 used it and the numbers apparently showed 14 incorrect calls out of 225,000.

It still needs some tweaking. But it is more accurate than human error from a numbers stand point.

(The French Open needs to at minimum use the original Hawk-Eye replay technology instead of clay ball marks.)

« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 04:50:41 PM by shoothoops »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #228 on: February 10, 2021, 08:10:20 PM »
The new system means less line judges and people on and near the court during the Pandemic. That is why they are using it this event.

Hawk-Eye Technology (The previous replay system that is more widely used) has been around roughly 15 years. More recently (2019) it has developed a "Live" version the past couple of years. Australian Open is using a "Live" version. (Australian Open was first Grand Slam to use Hawk-Eye technology in 2007)

The U.S. Open 2020 used it and the numbers apparently showed 14 incorrect calls out of 225,000.

It still needs some tweaking. But it is more accurate than human error from a numbers stand point.

(The French Open needs to at minimum use the original Hawk-Eye replay technology instead of clay ball marks.)

Interesting, thanks.

Unrelated: After listening to Novak talk about it being the hardest surface ever, I don’t feel great about Rafa’s chances.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #229 on: February 10, 2021, 09:16:23 PM »
Interesting, thanks.

Unrelated: After listening to Novak talk about it being the hardest surface ever, I don’t feel great about Rafa’s chances.

Yep. 👍

Courts are playing super fast this year, much faster than usual. That helps someone like Djokovic who has the best defense on tour.

Djokovic also doesn't like playing in super hot weather, and it's been upper 88's, 90, and sunny the last few days through tomorrow. (Kvitova doesn't like it either and she already lost.)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 09:21:04 PM by shoothoops »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #230 on: February 10, 2021, 10:35:52 PM »
The Fountain of Youth has been found Down Under.

After 35 year old Hsieh Su-wei knocks out top 8 seed, 2019 U.Sm Open Champ Bianca Andreescu...

39 year old Feliciano Lopez is in to round 3 with a five set win over 31 seed Lorenzo Sonego...

and, 35 year old Kaia Kanepi takes out defending Australian Open Champ Sofia Kenin in convincing fashion.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #231 on: February 10, 2021, 11:20:56 PM »
Been a while since Sweden has made some tennis noise Swedish/Ethiopian qualifier Mikael Ymer is into the 3rd Round with a four set win over Spanish teen star Carlos Alacaraz.

'Merica...Shelby Rogers abd Jenn Brady are moving forward. Danielle Collins is out after falling to 6 seed Karlina Pliskova. (Serve let her down today)

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #232 on: February 10, 2021, 11:41:56 PM »
If the court is that fast Rafa may have his work cut out for him.  It should help Serena however.  Hopefully I can stay up for the Coco match.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #233 on: February 11, 2021, 08:26:27 AM »
Jessica Pegula is in to the 3rd Round.

Tough loss for Coco Gauff. But it was more of the smothering complete play of World Top 5 (for 5 straight years) Elina Svitolina. Known for her speed, footwork, defense, stamina, and, as one of the best WTA players to not yet win a major, Svitolina served lights out, winning 80% of her first serves, and a strong down the line forehand, were a little bit too much forr Gauff.

Coco played very well, at times as well as I've seen her play. She cleaned up her serve (especially 2nd serve mechanics and acceleration) in the off season, as there were just a few chances for both players either way. Svitolina converted a few more to win. Both players were extremely impressive. The draw for Svitolina is very favorable too if she can back up the win. She will go far if she keeps up that level. Gauff will continue un doubles with Caty McNally.

Tsitsipas taken the distance by Kokkinakis but takes moves forward.

UCLA's Mackie Mcdonald takes out 22 seed Bora Coric in 4 sets.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #234 on: February 11, 2021, 07:28:21 PM »
A plethora of good matches on the docket tonight.

Ann Li's AO stay has ended after a nice run for the American 20 year old. Few players if any have played as well as Aryna Sabalenka since last year. Next uo for 7 seed Sabalenka? Serena Williams looms in a possible Round of 16 matchup.

Serena prep for her round 3 match tonight v Potapova:

https://twitter.com/pmouratoglou/status/1359915428315881483?s=19

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #235 on: February 11, 2021, 07:38:42 PM »
A plethora of good matches on the docket tonight.

Ann Li's AO stay has ended after a nice run for the American 20 year old. Few players if any have played as well as Aryna Sabalenka since last year. Next uo for 7 seed Sabalenka? Serena Williams looms in a possible Round of 16 matchup.

Serena prep for her round 3 match tonight v Potapova:

https://twitter.com/pmouratoglou/status/1359915428315881483?s=19

How is Brady playing?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #236 on: February 11, 2021, 07:43:39 PM »
How is Brady playing?

Here's the story ... of a lovely lady ... who was bringing up three very lovely girls ...

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #237 on: February 11, 2021, 07:47:12 PM »
Here's the story ... of a lovely lady ... who was bringing up three very lovely girls ...

Ha!!  She has some serious game.  Osaka seems like the favorite for the gals.  Coco will take over the sport in about 2 yrs.  If an American can't win I'll root for Svitolina. 

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #238 on: February 11, 2021, 08:08:20 PM »

While she appreciates your lack of originality, Brady is too busy steamrolling opponents to have time for that. Possible Vekic in round of 16, possible Svitolina in quarters, possible Barty in semis. She will be favored until the quarterfinals. One match at a time.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #239 on: February 11, 2021, 08:14:25 PM »
Will Potapova last an hour?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #240 on: February 11, 2021, 08:47:51 PM »
WTH?  Did Potapova read my comment? 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #241 on: February 11, 2021, 09:10:49 PM »
I have been watching tennis for more decades than I choose to admit.

I have NEVER seen a pro - man or woman - serve as poorly as Potapova.

She’s double-faulting by 6-7 FEET.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #242 on: February 11, 2021, 09:20:16 PM »
I have been watching tennis for more decades than I choose to admit.

I have NEVER seen a pro - man or woman - serve as poorly as Potapova.

She’s double-faulting by 6-7 FEET.

Yes.  That was crazy!!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #243 on: February 11, 2021, 09:21:01 PM »
Chokova

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #244 on: February 11, 2021, 09:24:11 PM »
Chokova

Hopefully Serena finds her game after this match.  Way too many unforced errors. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #245 on: February 11, 2021, 10:06:38 PM »
Hopefully Serena finds her game after this match.  Way too many unforced errors.

There were times she looked spent. There was one time - with Potopova serving for the set - that Serena didn’t even try for a ball about 4 feet away from her.

But she was energized in the tiebreak and then destroyed Chokova.

We’ll see if Serena has the energy to do what’s necessary for 2 weeks.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #246 on: February 12, 2021, 08:47:24 AM »
Breaking News:  Kyrgios had another meltdown and blew a match up two sets. This with a home crowd and a surface at a perfect speed for his huge serve and power game.  Props to Theim.  It seems to me Zverrev has a good chance of breaking through here.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #247 on: February 12, 2021, 09:10:57 AM »
Breaking News:  Kyrgios had another meltdown and blew a match up two sets. This with a home crowd and a surface at a perfect speed for his huge serve and power game.  Props to Theim.  It seems to me Zverrev has a good chance of breaking through here.

Huh?

I will make an exception responding here, after your previously ridiculous, discriminatory Women's tennis comments.

I think you forgot the part where his opponent is the defending U.S. Open Champion. Thiem has made 4 Grand Slam Finals in the past few years. He's ranked 3rd in the world and has been ranked in the top 10 for 4.5 years. You can like who you like. But no objective person has had anything but praise for Kyrgios' play and effort last night. 5 sets, a match that can go either way against one of the world's best.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 09:40:25 AM by shoothoops »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #248 on: February 12, 2021, 09:23:17 AM »
Serena advances to 4th round v Sabalenka. Two of the games biggest hitters, pace, depth. I like the matchup for Serena.

Anastasia Potapova is a former World Junior number one, has won Jr Wimbledon etc...and she had a very serious ankle injury and surgery last year. She moved better than I thought she would. She took out a seeded player before falling to Serena. Neither player at their best, but when you have to win 7 times in a row, surviving and advancing is always going to happen at some point. 90 degree mid day heat too.

Osaka v Muguruza pits two of the games best in Round 4. Popcorn match there. When will Muguruza win even more Slams vs Osaka trying to win outside of U.S. Open. Surface favorable to Osaka, but Garbi has come close there before. Both playing great. (Jabeur has such an attractive style of play and variety but didn't have a chance v Osaka.)

Felix Auger Aliassime with strong straight set win over Shapovalov. Felix spent some off season time at Nadal's Academy in Majorca, Spain. Looks good. Like his 4th round matchup too.

American Taylor Fritz takes Novak Djokovic the 5 set distance but comes up short. That's two strong efforts from young American Men v Djokovic. Lots to like, things to work on.

8 seed Schwartzmann goes out quietly. Speaking of quietly, Grigir Dmitrov is quietly crushing opponents and rolling.

Halep and Swiatek are rolling and are on a rematch collision course from last year's French Open.

The nice story of Hsieh Su-wei continues into the Round of 16. One of the tour's most popular players 7-5 in the third.

And, McCoco Fever is alive and well Down Under. Caty McNally and Coco Gauff crush the 6th seed and two of the World's Best doubles players to advance again in doubles:

https://twitter.com/AustralianOpen/status/1360083758708387840?s=19

« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 09:41:23 AM by shoothoops »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #249 on: February 12, 2021, 09:45:09 AM »
By the way, Australia announced a 5 day lockdown. No fans for at least 5 days, and likely the rest of the event. This will certainly come into play for those that thrive on big crowds and those who don't. Probably a negative for Serena etc...

feedback