collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Tennis  (Read 114315 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: Tennis
« Reply #200 on: February 08, 2021, 06:46:55 PM »
He's so much fun to watch - such an athlete. And, as you say, so tenacious. Plus all his little quirks make him endearing. Put all that together with not just talent but the way he has improved even after he got to 30+ years old, and what a competitor.

If he can win this, he'd not only pass Fed but he'd be the only pro ever with at least 2 titles at each major -- just another incredible accomplishment.

He's always compelling and fun to watch.  The battles the Big 3 have had are riveting, as spectators we are truly blessed.   Rafa has always been a total class act and he never cheats himself or the game.  He also is a scratch golfer and probably could have played pro soccer.  He's a tremendous athlete, insane eye-hand coordination.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #201 on: February 08, 2021, 07:03:40 PM »
Muggsy, you're right about how lucky tennis fans have been these last 15 years. To have three amazing athletes like these, all at the same time, going at each other ... so much fun. There never has been anything quite like it in the history of sports.

I know that every era has to end, but when these 3 hang it up, it will leave a huge void in men's tennis. Roger already looks close to done (although I've thought that before). Rafa still seems to have a few tricks, but I'd imagine he'll fade at least a couple years before Novak will.

There are some talented players, obviously, but nobody who I look at today and say: "This guy, this guy and this guy ... they have the skill and personality and longevity to carry tennis."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #202 on: February 08, 2021, 07:12:38 PM »
Muggsy, you're right about how lucky tennis fans have been these last 15 years. To have three amazing athletes like these, all at the same time, going at each other ... so much fun. There never has been anything quite like it in the history of sports.

I know that every era has to end, but when these 3 hang it up, it will leave a huge void in men's tennis. Roger already looks close to done (although I've thought that before). Rafa still seems to have a few tricks, but I'd imagine he'll fade at least a couple years before Novak will.

There are some talented players, obviously, but nobody who I look at today and say: "This guy, this guy and this guy ... they have the skill and personality and longevity to carry tennis."

I'm happy there are several promising Americans in women's tennis, and Serena has been so dominant, but I don't see a lot of compelling matches or rivalries.  I'm also a bit concerned with the major elephant in the room down the road with regards to women's tennis.  We're talking about the most lucrative sport for women so it would be a real shame if it was ruined.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #203 on: February 08, 2021, 07:51:34 PM »
I'm happy there are several promising Americans in women's tennis, and Serena has been so dominant, but I don't see a lot of compelling matches or rivalries.  I'm also a bit concerned with the major elephant in the room down the road with regards to women's tennis.  We're talking about the most lucrative sport for women so it would be a real shame if it was ruined.

You aren't finding compelling matches and rivalries in Women's tennis? Huh?

Elephant in the room?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #204 on: February 08, 2021, 08:22:15 PM »
You aren't finding compelling matches and rivalries in Women's tennis? Huh?

Elephant in the room?

What soecific match-up and rivalry  is compelling to you right now?

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #205 on: February 08, 2021, 08:33:46 PM »
What soecific match-up and rivalry  is compelling to you right now?

What is the elephant in the room?

You said you don't see a lot of compelling Women's tennis matches. 

What is it that you are seeking in Women's tennis matches and not seeing?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #206 on: February 08, 2021, 08:52:49 PM »
What is the elephant in the room?

You said you don't see a lot of compelling Women's tennis matches. 

What is it that you are seeking in Women's tennis matches and not seeing?

I'm thinking about specific rivalries?  I have seen some very good matches here and there, and if Gauff becomes a star that changes everything, but I see a lot of up and down GS performances among the top players.  Osaka may be the exception, I'm just hoping Coco takes over.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #207 on: February 08, 2021, 09:44:34 PM »
I'm thinking about specific rivalries?  I have seen some very good matches here and there, and if Gauff becomes a star that changes everything, but I see a lot of up and down GS performances among the top players.  Osaka may be the exception, I'm just hoping Coco takes over.

You said you were concerned with the major elephant in the room with regards to Women's tennis?  I don't know what that means or to what you are referring? Would you elaborate on what you said and what you mean by that? Thanks.

There is a lot of parity in Women's Tennis. Because of that, you will have a variety of results and types of players. That doesn't mean there aren't a lot of good and great players, and compelling play. The same person doesn't have to win all the time.

Serena, Graf, Evert, Navratilova etc...are some of the exceptions over many decades winning enormous amounts of Grand Slams etc....  Tennis did just fine before, after, and in between various players and eras.

As you mentioned it's one of the most lucrative sports for Women. fir example, The ten highest earners in Women's sports last year pre Pandemic, were Women's tennis players.

Naomi Osaka, who has lived in the U.S. since she was 3, and has won 3 Grand Slams in the past couple of years, made over $40 million dollars on 2019. She's a massive International Star, as Tennis is first and foremost a Global Sport.

Bianca Andreescu is the first Canadian Woman to ever win a Grand Slam, and she was the first teenager to win won since Maria Sharapova in 2006.

Ash Barty became the first Australian WTA Player of the year, and rhe first Aboriginal Indigenous Woman to win the French Open since Evonne Goolagong in 1971.

Simona Halep (two Slams in the past couple of years) has finished in the top 10 seven straight years, and has a huge European following.

Petra Kvitova (2 Wimbledon Titles) 8th time in the Top 10, was literally attacked and stabbed by a stranger, surgeries, no feeling in her hand, comes back and secures Fed Cup Title for her country.

Lots and lots of great story lines, and compelling play

Serena is still going for her 24th Slam Title.

Coco Gauff is one of the most talented young Tennis Players. She's going to win a lot, for a long time. Superstar talent and composure.

Poland's Iga Swiatek won the French Open as a teenager last year.

Garbi Muguruza is back with Conchita Martinez, and is seeking her 3rd Grand Slam Title. 

As mentioned Americans Stephens, Kenin, have won recent Slam Titles. Keys has come.close. Anisimova, Brady, others are capable of doing so.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #208 on: February 08, 2021, 09:58:17 PM »
You said you were concerned with the major elephant in the room with regards to Women's tennis?  I don't know what that means or to what you are referring? Would you elaborate on what you said and what you mean by that? Thanks.

There is a lot of parity in Women's Tennis. Because of that, you will have a variety of results and types of players. That doesn't mean there aren't a lot of good and great players, and compelling play. The same person doesn't have to win all the time.

Serena, Graf, Evert, Navratilova etc...are some of the exceptions over many decades winning enormous amounts of Grand Slams etc....  Tennis did just fine before, after, and in between various players and eras.

As you mentioned it's one of the most lucrative sports for Women. fir example, The ten highest earners in Women's sports last year pre Pandemic, were Women's tennis players.

Naomi Osaka, who has lived in the U.S. since she was 3, and has won 3 Grand Slams in the past couple of years, made over $40 million dollars on 2019. She's a massive International Star, as Tennis is first and foremost a Global Sport.

Bianca Andreescu is the first Canadian Woman to ever win a Grand Slam, and she was the first teenager to win won since Maria Sharapova in 2006.

Ash Barty became the first Australian WTA Player of the year, and rhe first Aboriginal Indigenous Woman to win the French Open since Evonne Goolagong in 1971.

Simona Halep (two Slams in the past couple of years) has finished in the top 10 seven straight years, and has a huge European following.

Petra Kvitova (2 Wimbledon Titles) 8th time in the Top 10, was literally attacked and stabbed by a stranger, surgeries, no feeling in her hand, comes back and secures Fed Cup Title for her country.

Lots and lots of great story lines, and compelling play

Serena is still going for her 24th Slam Title.

Coco Gauff is one of the most talented young Tennis Players. She's going to win a lot, for a long time. Superstar talent and composure.

Poland's Iga Swiatek won the French Open as a teenager last year.

Garbi Muguruza is back with Conchita Martinez, and is seeking her 3rd Grand Slam Title. 

As mentioned Americans Stephens, Kenin, have won recent Slam Titles. Keys has come.close. Anisimova, Brady, others are capable of doing so.

I'm concerned about biological males playing women's tennis in the realitively near future. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #209 on: February 08, 2021, 10:15:00 PM »
I'm concerned about biological males playing women's tennis in the realitively near future.

I knew that's what you meant. I chose to ignore it.

Be better than this, Muggsy.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #210 on: February 08, 2021, 10:15:29 PM »
1st Round notables:

Women:

American Jessie Pegula with a big win over Vika Azarenka in straight sets. She has a nice early rounds draw as well. She's been working with David Witt. Nice to see Caty McNally supporting.

Other Americans, Ann Li and Jenn Brady with lopsided wins. madison Brengle and Sofia Kenin also moving forward with wins. Bernie Pera with a huge win over 3 time Grand Slam Champ Angie Kerber. Serena, Venus, Gauff, all moving forward. Nice business like win for Gauff over Teichmann. Gauff gets top 5 seed Elina Svitolina in Round 2. Tough Draw, Big ask, she'll be forced to play longer points.  But capable.

Davis, Osuigwe, McHale, Riske, are out.

Men:

American notables:

Opelka, Fritz, Cressy, McDonald, Tiafoe, moving forward, Giron is out.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 08:07:10 AM by shoothoops »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #211 on: February 08, 2021, 10:43:45 PM »
Rafa dealing with balky back. So far, mostly seems to be affecting his serve.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #212 on: February 08, 2021, 11:16:22 PM »
Rafa dealing with balky back. So far, mostly seems to be affecting his serve.

He's not right.  Hopefully it's a short-term issue.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #213 on: February 09, 2021, 05:54:59 AM »
I knew that's what you meant. I chose to ignore it.

Be better than this, Muggsy.

What does this mean?
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #214 on: February 09, 2021, 07:19:02 AM »
What does this mean?

Go troll somebody else, Smuggles.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #215 on: February 09, 2021, 08:17:26 AM »
1st Round notables:

Women:

American Jessie Pegula with a big win over Vika Azarenka in straight sets. She has a nice early rounds draw as well. She's been working with David Witt. Nice to see Caty McNally supporting.

Other Americans, Ann Li and Jenn Brady with lopsided wins. madison Brengle and Sofia Kenin also moving forward with wins. Bernie Pera with a huge win over 3 time Grand Slam Champ Angie Kerber. Serena, Venus, Gauff, all moving forward. Nice business like win for Gauff over Teichmann. Gauff gets top 5 seed Elina Svitolina in Round 2. Tough Draw, Big ask, she'll be forced to play longer points.  But capable.

Davis, Osuigwe, McHale, Riske, are out.

Men:

American notables:

Opelka, Fritz, Cressy, McDonald, Tiafoe, moving forward, Giron is out.

Women 1st round. Sakkari out in a stunner against Mladenovic. Lopsided win for Mertens over Fernandez. Fernandez is a future Canadian star. Mertens playing well again. Badosa is out.

Americans Shelby Rogers and Danielle Collins moving forward comfortably.  Tough matchup for Sloane Stephens with Putinseva. She is out in 3 sets. Much of the others were chalk.

Men: Americans, Tommy Paul moving forward, Michael MMoh with a 5 set thriller win. Querrey is out.

Goffin is out.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 08:56:37 AM by shoothoops »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #216 on: February 09, 2021, 08:54:53 AM »
He's not right.  Hopefully it's a short-term issue.

Rafa labored a little but took care of business.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #217 on: February 09, 2021, 09:11:04 AM »
Women 1st round. Sakkari out in a stunner against Mladenovic. Lopsided win for Mertens over Fernandez. Fernandez is a future Canadian star. Mertens playing well again. Badosa is out.

Americans Shelby Rogers and Danielle Collins moving forward comfortably.  Tough matchup for Sloane Stephens with Putinseva. She is out in 3 sets. Much of the others were chalk.

Men: Americans, Tommy Paul moving forward, Michael MMoh with a 5 set thriller win. Querrey is out.

Goffin is out.

Mayar Sherif becomes the first Egyptian Woman to win a Grand Slam Main Draw Match. Made it through qualifying. She was an All American at Pepperdine.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #218 on: February 09, 2021, 09:51:53 PM »
Hopefully Tiafoe doesn't get rolled by the Djoker. 

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #219 on: February 09, 2021, 10:30:07 PM »
Hsieh Su-wei with a big straight set upset of Bianca Andreescu. Hsieh better known as World #1 Doubles Player and 71st in singles.

Ann Li into the 3rd round with win over Cornet who is a bit tricky to play. Serena comfortably moving on. Sabalenka looms in 4th round.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #220 on: February 09, 2021, 11:09:43 PM »
I guess I missed the tiebreaker rules for the Aussie Open.  First to 10???

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #221 on: February 09, 2021, 11:25:52 PM »
Tiafoe just split sets with Djokovic!!!  Awesome!!!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #222 on: February 10, 2021, 12:19:35 AM »
Atrocious coverage by ESPN showing three screens and matches with Tiafoe and Djoker tied 5-5 in the 2nd.  Inexcusable.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #223 on: February 10, 2021, 08:53:36 AM »
Big Day for Coco Gauff seeking to take out top 5 Elina Svitolina. If she can, there is a very reasonable path all the way to the semis perhaps for one of three American Women, Brady, Kenin, or Gauff, against possibly Barty.

Kvitova is out in 3 sets v Cirstea in a surprise there. Halep survies Tomljanovic 7-5 in the third. Venus is out.

Men:

Frances Tiafoe a few points from taking Djokovjc to a 5th set. Great effort for the recently turned 23 year old. Variety, energy, taking advantage of the faster courts this year, and afternoon heat. But he missed too many 1st serves (54%) and didn't get enough free points, and that can be the difference.

Fritz over Opelka in 5 set marathon.

Wawrinka is out 5th set tie break, had his chances v Fuscovics in one of the matches of the day. Tsitsipas, Dmitrov, quietly dominant thus far.

Rewatchjng Hsieh over Andreescu, just a clinic of spin, pace, finesse, shot variety, getting Andreescu to play her way set one, and then getting Andreescu to press and overplay set 2. Very impressive.

Brandon Nakashima became the first American since Frances Tiafoe to win two ATP Challenger events as a teenager.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 08:59:17 AM by shoothoops »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #224 on: February 10, 2021, 01:31:55 PM »
So why aren’t they using replay at this tournament?

feedback