'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bo Ryan Story  (Read 128089 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Bo Ryan Story
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 07:58:36 AM »
This is not going to put the conspiracy theories to rest.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 08:15:01 AM »
This story raises more questions than it answers. A few thoughts...
  • Why did Bo need two lawyers with him? I could see his agent if he's retiring, but a second lawyer indicates he needed protection. Typically that would indicate a dismissal, not a voluntary step-down.
  • Why didn't Gard know? If Bo is announcing his retirement and Gard is taking over, you'd think Bo would give him a heads up of what was coming. That said, if Bo was fired, it would make sense as Bo probably didn't know it was coming and Barry wouldn't want Gard to find out first.
  • No mention of Gard's situation being considered. They made a huge deal about Gard's dad being the reason they waited, if that was true, again, wouldn't Gard know ahead of time this was in the works? Why blindside a guy who just went through that loss?
  • The comment about the academics and "right reasons" was telling that this was the opposite of that. Maybe bracing Madison for worse information to come?
  • FWIW, Adultery is a Class I felony in the state of Wisconsin. If Bo was having an affair that included using hotel rooms paid for by the school on road trips, then taxpayer funds were going directly to sponsor him committing a felony.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 08:21:48 AM »
Interesting that they met at Bo's condominium. So Bo has a house and a condo in Madison? I wonder how long he's owned the condo.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 08:23:39 AM »
Meeting off-site, with Barry, two of his deputies and Ryan's two lawyers?  This was obviously less than voluntary.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 08:23:55 AM »
Interesting that they met at Bo's condominium. So Bo has a house and a condo in Madison? I wonder how long he's owned the condo.

Paul Chryst bought his house.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 08:26:40 AM »

Bo sold his house to Paul Chryst earlier this year. It was mentioned in this ESPN article from May.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 08:31:11 AM »
Gotcha--thanks.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 08:57:40 AM »
There are plenty of questions either unanswered or raised by that article that a good, fearless reporter will want to go digging, but will anyone of the Madison media risk the wrath of exposing anything negative about Ryan?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 09:03:31 AM »
There are plenty of questions either unanswered or raised by that article that a good, fearless reporter will want to go digging, but will anyone of the Madison media risk the wrath of exposing anything negative about Ryan?

You can only write about what people are willing to say. 

Polzin does a good job in this article when he says stuff like "Ryan’s abrupt departure is still head-scratching on multiple fronts." and "It seems odd that if Alvarez and Ryan had discussions about pulling the plug at semester break, that Gard, who would be taking over, wouldn’t have been notified so he could begin planning."

So clearly he is alluding that something odd happened and that the "retirement" was quite abrupt.  But he can't really spell out what that is unless he gets someone on the record to talk about it.

EDIT:  Remember this only happened a week ago. 
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 09:07:23 AM by The Sultan of Sunshine »

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2015, 09:06:59 AM »

I'll be honest, I'm surprised this even got published. My guess is people are doing the digging and trying to get sources and they know that. Maybe it's local, maybe it's national, but to me, this feels like a preliminary article written to brace the locals for what might come out in the next couple weeks.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2015, 09:07:49 AM »
I'll be honest, I'm surprised this even got published. My guess is people are doing the digging and trying to get sources and they know that. Maybe it's local, maybe it's national, but to me, this feels like a preliminary article written to brace the locals for what might come out in the next couple weeks.

And to distance Barry and the Athletic Department from it.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2015, 09:10:59 AM »

Agreed, I thought it was strange Barry gave an interview just to address this topic.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2015, 09:12:33 AM »
Agreed.   The bomb is out there.   It isn't going to be one of the local sycophants who sets it off.  I do not wish anyone ill and for Bo's sake that the conspiracy theories are wrong.   But deep in my heart of hearts, if it turns out to be true, I am going to go to the badger boards and just watch and wallow in the wailing, the gnashing of teeth, the rending of garments, the exposed hypocrisy, the twisting of narratives, the reflexive blaming of Marquette, the incredibly twisted defenses of Bo......   It will be almost as much fun as The Force Awakens.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2015, 09:12:52 AM »

Excellent point. Polzin does a good job of painting Barry as being surprised by this as well. No doubt he'll be just as surprised when everything else comes out.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2015, 09:19:51 AM »
Agreed.   The bomb is out there.   It isn't going to be one of the local sycophants who sets it off.  I do not wish anyone ill and for Bo's sake that the conspiracy theories are wrong.   But deep in my heart of hearts, if it turns out to be true, I am going to go to the badger boards and just watch and wallow in the wailing, the gnashing of teeth, the rending of garments, the exposed hypocrisy, the twisting of narratives, the reflexive blaming of Marquette, the incredibly twisted defenses of Bo......   It will be almost as much fun as The Force Awakens.

Normally, I'd feel dirty hearing and talking about all these rumors. But after hearing for 15 years how everyone is dirty, but their program is pristine and always does things the right way, I'll enjoy the hell out of this.

Also, the state media will not report on this until a Deadspin/TMZ type site puts it out there. UW is not messing around.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2015, 09:23:10 AM »
Normally, I'd feel dirty hearing and talking about all these rumors. But after hearing for 15 years how everyone is dirty, but their program is pristine and always does things the right way, I'll enjoy the hell out of this.

Also, the state media will not report on this until a Deadspin/TMZ type site puts it out there. UW is not messing around.

The state media?

Ever heard of the Marquette Mafia?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2015, 09:25:11 AM »
The state media?

Ever heard of the Marquette Mafia?

Of course, but do you think the JS, WSJ, or Cap Times will be the ones to break this story?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2015, 09:25:40 AM »

Exactly.   Honestly, when I was at MU in the 80's, I never gave a single thought to UW.   The games always took place over Christmas break, they stunk, and I was much more concerned about Notre Dame, Dayton, and DePaul.   It wasn't until the advent of the internet that I learned the nature of UW fans and their attitudes toward MU.   And it was so pervasive, foul, and wrong, that I began to take joy in the failings of the Badgers.   Not as much as I took in an MU win, but enough.   So, if the conspiracy theories are proven true, after all of the flat out lies, innuendo, racial slurs directed toward the University and basketball program I hold dearest, I am going to revel in their despair. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2015, 09:27:38 AM »

The state media?

You didn't realize that the media in the People's Republic is run by the state?   ;)

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2015, 09:27:56 AM »
Excellent point. Polzin does a good job of painting Barry as being surprised by this as well. No doubt he'll be just as surprised when everything else comes out.

Do you think Barry is pushing this story to come out a little? I mean, do you think he has enough of an ego to want to "punish" Bo for retiring, then unretiring because Bo didn't want Barry to hire someone besides Gard?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2015, 09:28:53 AM »
I just don't think we ever get the real story.  I hope I turn out to be wrong, but I don't see "St. Bo's" image every really being tarnished.  Just a guy looking out for his right hand man.  Or so they say...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Schmidtyfactor

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2015, 09:29:16 AM »
This link was tagged under 'Related Story'

http://m.host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/crime-and-courts/police-looking-for-suspect-in-parking-lot-homicide-alleged-accomplice/article_906d231a-9e58-5d7b-83a6-5e3c70aa9c34.html

Just kidding, I only know what I read hear. This story was linked in the other recent news on the right column. 17 times! ouch.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2015, 09:35:35 AM »
Do you think Barry is pushing this story to come out a little? I mean, do you think he has enough of an ego to want to "punish" Bo for retiring, then unretiring because Bo didn't want Barry to hire someone besides Gard?

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Barry knows this is coming out and also knows it could make him look just as bad as Bo. So get ahead of the story, push that this was all Bo, and hope you don't get caught in the fallout.

Let's say Bo was having an affair and Barry was aware. Barry was also signing the checks that paid for Bo's hotel rooms, thus not only making Barry complicit but now also partially responsible for Bo's ability to commit a felony by cheating on his wife.

Because this is tax payer money they are playing with, this all gets more interesting, and I have a feeling the average citizen would be a lot less forgiving than UWM fans if this all comes out.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2015, 09:39:21 AM »

Alverez is more than capable of feeding the media backchannels with none of it touching him.

Anything he puts out will be to enhance UW and himself.  If Ryan needs to be thrown under the bus to do that, then it will happen.