[Today at 02:58:54 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:49:34 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2015 MLB Season Thread  (Read 98276 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: 2015 MLB Season Thread
« Reply #375 on: August 09, 2015, 09:51:23 PM »
Cubs sweep the Giants to open up a 3.5 game lead for the last wildcard spot, all while starting 4 rookies most days. Arrieta needs to be in the Cy Young conversation.

Keep it going, boys.

There shouldn't even be a conversation.  Greinke could be named it today.  Has better numbers than Arrieta in everything other than wins and strikeouts.  Winning percentage, WHIP, BAA, ERA, hits, runs, earned runs, home runs, walks all favor Greinke.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #376 on: August 09, 2015, 11:20:35 PM »
There shouldn't even be a conversation.  Greinke could be named it today.  Has better numbers than Arrieta in everything other than wins and strikeouts.  Winning percentage, WHIP, BAA, ERA, hits, runs, earned runs, home runs, walks all favor Greinke.

Arrieta also has better stats when it comes to HBP and wild pitches, jeez.  Way to be selective.  Arrieta also costs $20MM+ less a year.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #377 on: August 09, 2015, 11:33:45 PM »
Arrieta also has better stats when it comes to HBP and wild pitches, jeez.  Way to be selective.  Arrieta also costs $20MM+ less a year.

Haha fair enough.  I did not find those 2 stats in my search.

Arietta is having a great year after figuring it out with the Cubs the last 2 and a half years.  But he (nor anyone else - AL or NL) is coming close to touching the year Greinke is having.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #378 on: August 10, 2015, 07:34:28 AM »

I said in the conversation - not that he should be the favorite or win it. It's Greinke's to lose as of today.

BTW, there's 50 games left and Arrieta is on fire. Stranger things have happened.

Also, Arrieta has a fantastic beard and  Greinke has a ridiculous haircut so that narrows the gap even further.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #379 on: August 10, 2015, 10:51:57 AM »
Grienke looks like a girls middle school gym teacher.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #380 on: August 10, 2015, 04:00:03 PM »
I said in the conversation - not that he should be the favorite or win it. It's Greinke's to lose as of today.

BTW, there's 50 games left and Arrieta is on fire. Stranger things have happened.

Also, Arrieta has a fantastic beard and  Greinke has a ridiculous haircut so that narrows the gap even further.

Speaking of on fire, I sure wouldn't bet against Kershaw.  1.16 ERA so far since the 2nd half.  He has a WHIP of .64 (!!!!).  He has a K/BB ratio better than 12.  I know I wouldn't be surprised to see Kershaw pass him up. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #381 on: August 10, 2015, 04:40:26 PM »
Speaking of on fire, I sure wouldn't bet against Kershaw.  1.16 ERA so far since the 2nd half.  He has a WHIP of .64 (!!!!).  He has a K/BB ratio better than 12.  I know I wouldn't be surprised to see Kershaw pass him up.

Agreed.  You could probably throw Scherzer and DeGrom into the group, too.  Lots of guys having phenomenal years. 

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #382 on: August 11, 2015, 01:42:48 PM »
Douglas Melvin is out as GM of the Brewers.  I'm hoping Ray Montgomery gets the promotion.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #383 on: August 11, 2015, 01:43:20 PM »
Melvin gone. Rumor is he did it now because he couldn't face another sweep at the hand of 2015-2020 World Champion Chicago Cubs.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #384 on: August 11, 2015, 01:48:51 PM »
They should have killed the goat like Cecil when they had the chance.

Now there is no hope for the Cubs.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #385 on: August 11, 2015, 02:35:03 PM »
Douglas Melvin is out as GM of the Brewers.  I'm hoping Ray Montgomery gets the promotion.

This is why it surprised me that CC was the pick for manager. Seemed next in line for GM with where they are looking to go. If you can pry them, we should be targeting someone from our division rivals who have shown the appropriate way to construct a team through player development.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #386 on: August 11, 2015, 03:10:03 PM »

Has he done good work in that position?  I really don't know.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #387 on: August 11, 2015, 03:12:45 PM »
As evidenced by all the championship teams he's put together, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #388 on: August 11, 2015, 03:43:07 PM »

Has he done good work in that position?  I really don't know.

He was supposed to be next in line for GM with Diamondbacks before we pried him away to be scouting director.   Seems like a sharp guy and thought he was gonna be the guy.   Doesn't look like it out of the gate though.

brandx

« Reply #389 on: August 11, 2015, 05:10:14 PM »
This is why it surprised me that CC was the pick for manager. Seemed next in line for GM with where they are looking to go. If you can pry them, we should be targeting someone from our division rivals who have shown the appropriate way to construct a team through player development.

Generally a different career path for GMs and managers. I know that a couple years ago, only 3 of the 30 GMs were former players. And those 3 were peripheral players.

Skill set #1 for a GM is player evaluation. That is a skill that needs to be developed and honed. Most former players are not proficient in that area, but I do think it is possible that Counsel may be an exception.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #390 on: August 11, 2015, 05:20:47 PM »
Players usually don't make very good GMs, I don't think you're missing much on CC there.

They tend to project too much of their game. I think Bill James had an article on this several years ago.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #391 on: August 11, 2015, 09:02:37 PM »
Dombrowski

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #392 on: August 11, 2015, 09:28:53 PM »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #393 on: August 11, 2015, 10:00:15 PM »
Please no.

It is a total rebuild, the one thing he has proven he can do well.  Is it normal for GMs to get fired mid-season or a coincidence?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #394 on: August 12, 2015, 06:12:56 AM »
The Brewers would be lucky to get Dombrowski

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #395 on: August 12, 2015, 06:33:01 AM »
Dombrowski wanted a huge pay raise in Detroit. He also always had a much, much higher payroll to work with than he will ever have in Milwaukee.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #396 on: August 12, 2015, 07:38:35 AM »
Generally a different career path for GMs and managers. I know that a couple years ago, only 3 of the 30 GMs were former players. And those 3 were peripheral players.

Skill set #1 for a GM is player evaluation. That is a skill that needs to be developed and honed. Most former players are not proficient in that area, but I do think it is possible that Counsel may be an exception.

I think the jury is way out on Counsel as a manager much less ready to be a GM of a major league club.  I hope that whomever is hired, that they have the ability to pick their manager and that Anastasio doesn't require that they keep on Counsel.

Dombrowski

Rumors are that Jack Zduriencik is going to be fired and that Dombrowski is going to replace him in Seattle.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #397 on: August 12, 2015, 08:12:35 AM »

I think the jury is way out on Counsel as a manager much less ready to be a GM of a major league club.  I hope that whomever is hired, that they have the ability to pick their manager and that Anastasio doesn't require that they keep on Counsel.

Trey quit Phish and works for the Brewers now? Man, he must have really enjoyed that Alpine run over the weekend
Bring back FFP!!!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #398 on: August 12, 2015, 08:57:22 AM »

Rumors are that Jack Zduriencik is going to be fired and that Dombrowski is going to replace him in Seattle.

Agreed, but unfortunately it sounds like the new GMs are being told they need to work with Counsel as their manager.  I am still baffled at why they would give Counsel a 3 year contract...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #399 on: August 12, 2015, 09:23:44 AM »
Agreed, but unfortunately it sounds like the new GMs are being told they need to work with Counsel as their manager.  I am still baffled at why they would give Counsel a 3 year contract...

Seriously this is the most Brewers move ever.  Hire a manager with no experience because he is local and a former Brewer, run the GM out of office, and then demand that the new GM work with this manager.  This from the franchise that treats the '82 Brewers like they're the '27 Yankees and Bud Selig like he's some sort of mythic figure.

feedback