collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers  (Read 6139 times)

LON

• All American
Re: Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2011, 07:26:08 AM »
Regarding McCarthy, Capers, Thompson...it was a team effort, and it's fitting, because that's how GB won all year.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2011, 08:46:41 AM »
McCarthy is more valuable to this franchise than TT.  He's a qb coach/o coordinator on par with Holmgren.   You do whatever you can to keep the McCarthy and Capers duo in GB.

TT has drafted well of late, I'll give him props for that.  But the way McCarthy and Capers utilized mediocre talent at many positions and coached them up to a Super Bowl victory is amazing. Keeping McCarthy is essential.   

You don't have the level of success the Packers had this year without both TT and MM.  Look at the success Holmgren (FFW, the Fat F*&%ing Walrus) had without Wolf (none).  Mike Sherman ??  Come on. 

If I did have to pick one, I'd pick TT.   How many coaches have succeeded without talent?  How many mediocre coaches have succeeded because they did have talent.  Thankfully, It seems that these guys understand their roles, and want to keep this thing going.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2011, 09:17:08 AM »
You don't have the level of success the Packers had this year without both TT and MM.  Look at the success Holmgren (FFW, the Fat F*&%ing Walrus) had without Wolf (none).  Mike Sherman ??  Come on. 

If I did have to pick one, I'd pick TT.   How many coaches have succeeded without talent?  How many mediocre coaches have succeeded because they did have talent.  Thankfully, It seems that these guys understand their roles, and want to keep this thing going.

Didn't Holgren go to the superbowl in Seattle? And have several other good teams?

I wouldn't call that success "none".

Neverthless, separate coach/GM role is probably preferable. 2 heads are usually better than 1, and they can play good cop/bad cop when needed. However, they have to be on the same page, which can be challenging for some. 

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2011, 11:45:01 AM »
This will probably be an unpopular opinion, but I think McCarthy is still only a mediocre coach. I definitely put him in the top 50%, but not as high up as 75%.  When you look at the job TT did to get players in there despite being lambasted year after year for his drafting decisions and personnel (in)action, I think the depth he built and his refusal to dig deep into FA proved absolutely correct, often in the fact of conventional thinking.  Further, Capers was a pretty successful head coach for awhile, and he showed why.  He's one of the top 3-5 D-Coordinators in the league.  Now I also think that McCarthy is a solid offensive mind, but I don't think that he overimpressively draws up schemes that make his players look more talented than they are or anything.  He does a good job not getting in his own way, which is more than you can say for a lot of coaches, but I think he needs a lot of things to be going right around him as well.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2011, 12:10:09 PM »
Didn't Holgren go to the superbowl in Seattle? And have several other good teams?

I wouldn't call that success "none".

Neverthless, separate coach/GM role is probably preferable. 2 heads are usually better than 1, and they can play good cop/bad cop when needed. However, they have to be on the same page, which can be challenging for some. 

He went to the SuperBowl in Seattle, but that is not the standard you are measured by after you've won one.  He's been to three and lost two.  He did not have a successful run in Seattle.  His SuperBowl appearance saved his bacon out there.  If he wasn't such an egomaniac, he'd have stayed in GB and won more.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2011, 12:10:18 PM »
This will probably be an unpopular opinion, but I think McCarthy is still only a mediocre coach. I definitely put him in the top 50%, but not as high up as 75%.  When you look at the job TT did to get players in there despite being lambasted year after year for his drafting decisions and personnel (in)action, I think the depth he built and his refusal to dig deep into FA proved absolutely correct, often in the fact of conventional thinking.  Further, Capers was a pretty successful head coach for awhile, and he showed why.  He's one of the top 3-5 D-Coordinators in the league.  Now I also think that McCarthy is a solid offensive mind, but I don't think that he overimpressively draws up schemes that make his players look more talented than they are or anything.  He does a good job not getting in his own way, which is more than you can say for a lot of coaches, but I think he needs a lot of things to be going right around him as well.

I gave McCarthy a ton of crap this season, but to me the only problem he has is his playcalling.  When we are in do-or-die situations, whether it's playing essentially an "elimination" game or being down 4-7 with the ball and a few minutes to go in the game, he calls very aggressively (because he has to) and the Packers dominate; however, when it's early in the season to the middle of the season he called, to me, way too conservative of games and that is why we lost the games to the Bears, Redskins, and Dolphins.  If he calls games like he did in the last 6 games of our season for the entire season the Packers would go no worse than 12-4.  Other than the playcalling early on I think McCarthy has done a really good job as the head coach.

As far as Thompson goes, the guy has done an incredible job.  Not many people would make the decision to let a legend go like he did, and he clearly knew what he was doing.  And to say that the players being plugged into the system is a sign that the coaches developed these players moreso than Thompson seeing talent that nobody else saw is just wrong.  Guys like Howard Green were picked up mid-week and stepping in and playing that weekend.  If our coaches can develop players that quickly...DAMN!  No way...Thompson has picked up guys that nobody else would give a chance because he knows talent and hard work when he sees it.  He has done an incredible job.  Keep McCarthy as head coach and Thompson as GM.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2011, 01:54:11 PM »
As a Bears fan, I'd happily take Ted Thompson. That guy has done a hell of a job in my opinion. No GM will ever be perfect, but good GM's build rosters from the bottom to the top, and that's exactly what he's done, and ultimately it was the bottom half of the roster he built and the depth he created that probably won the Pack the Super Bowl.

I think McCarthy is an above average head coach, not great, but that said, it's hard to say (outside of Belichick, maybe Tomlin) who is a great head coach. I do think McCarthy game plans well, but his in game decisions are sometimes head scratching.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2011, 02:27:58 PM »
He went to the SuperBowl in Seattle, but that is not the standard you are measured by after you've won one.  He's been to three and lost two.  He did not have a successful run in Seattle.  His SuperBowl appearance saved his bacon out there.  If he wasn't such an egomaniac, he'd have stayed in GB and won more.

Eh. We'll agree to disagree.

Seattle has never really been a good franchise, and they weren't very good went he got there.

He made them very good with a few nice playoff runs and a SB appearance.

I'd call that a successful run. Like I said, we'll agree to disagree.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2011, 03:05:16 PM »
Holmgren was a good coach...not a very good GM.

The history of the Coach/GM holding the same position is so crappy, I'm surprised that anyone suggests it any longer.  About the only one that really does this anymore is New England.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2011, 03:25:20 PM »

The history of the Coach/GM holding the same position is so crappy, I'm surprised that anyone suggests it any longer.  About the only one that really does this anymore is New England.

The reason that some suggest it is ego, a quality most head coaches generally possess in large quantities. The reason that some owners still fall for it is the chance, however slim, of hitting a home run with a guy like Bellichek.

LON

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2011, 03:30:04 PM »

And Seattle.

Holmgren and now Carroll.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2011, 10:12:28 AM »
Eh. We'll agree to disagree.

Seattle has never really been a good franchise, and they weren't very good went he got there.

He made them very good with a few nice playoff runs and a SB appearance.

I'd call that a successful run. Like I said, we'll agree to disagree.

I'd have to agree that Holmgren has been the most successful coach the Seahawks have had. 

I will also admit to a high degree of personal dislike for the FFW.  He spent Super Bowl 32 campaigning for a new job, and took the Broncos lightly.  The Packers should be 5-0 in SuperBowls.  Wolf giving Sherman the HC and GM jobs was a big  F U  to Holmgren.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2011, 10:15:04 AM »
And Seattle.

Holmgren and now Carroll.

The GM in Seattle is John Schneider...who actually worked in Green Bay for a long time before taking the Seattle job.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2011, 10:53:20 AM »
Would like to hear Jay Beezy's take on the Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers.  Sorry you don't know the feeling, man.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

LON

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2011, 11:11:36 AM »
The GM in Seattle is John Schneider...who actually worked in Green Bay for a long time before taking the Seattle job.

Thanks for the correction, Carroll does have a job title that's more than just Head Coach though, correct?

feedback