collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Snow Day at MU tomorrow  (Read 6128 times)

Sir Lawrence

• All American
Snow Day at MU tomorrow
« on: February 01, 2011, 04:33:56 PM »
I spent 7 years attending MU and don't recall one snow day the entire time.  I'm guessing we had a few good storms between 1976 and 1983.  I guess I just don't understand calling it a snow day before it even starts snowing.  People from my office here in downtown Milwaukee left work at noon today to "beat the blizzard."  It's 4:35 and there isn't a flake in the sky.  Get a grip people.

Rant off.  Go Marquette. 
Ludum habemus.

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: Snow Day at MU tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 04:43:42 PM »
I spent 7 years attending MU and don't recall one snow day the entire time.  I'm guessing we had a few good storms between 1976 and 1983.  I guess I just don't understand calling it a snow day before it even starts snowing.  People from my office here in downtown Milwaukee left work at noon today to "beat the blizzard."  It's 4:35 and there isn't a flake in the sky.  Get a grip people.

Rant off.  Go Marquette. 

Lots of schools in Cleveland cancelled school today in anticipation of the WORST STORM EVAR!!!11!!  I'm sure my kids enjoyed their day off (and will enjoy the day off that is sure to follow tomorrow).  After all, it was a clear, beautiful winter day.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 04:55:55 PM »
Seems as though almost every school in Milwaukee is off tomorrow already in anticipation of this blizzard. One that is not (as of yet), my employer, Medical College of Wisconsin.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 05:37:42 PM »
I had a snow day during finals week my freshman year.  Luckily I didn't have any finals that day, otherwise I'd have to take them in february like everyone else.

noblewarrior

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 05:52:09 PM »
MU called 1 or 2 days of classes due to -80 degree windchill back in 93-94?  The Fire Department was on the news telling people not to leave their homes etc...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 05:59:29 PM »
December 87.   Finals week.   Actually cost me a grade because I was scheduled to do interviews with local merchants for a piece for a broadcasting class and they all cancelled due to snow leaving me with bupkes.    A-B down to a B just like that. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 06:36:36 PM »
Inn our day we would have just left 5 minutes earlier to class. And it was uphill both going to class and coming back to the apartment

right Lenny's?

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 06:47:21 PM »
MU called 1 or 2 days of classes due to -80 degree windchill back in 93-94?  The Fire Department was on the news telling people not to leave their homes etc...
I think I remember this...was '94 I think as I was out of school and working at my first job.  I don't think it got above 0 for like ten days straight...but that may be embellished. 

Warrior97

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 07:55:27 PM »
It was January of '94.  I remember it well because they cancelled the first day of classes of the second semester, but had class the next day even though it was colder because they had the "official" opening of the new math/computer building.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 08:24:42 PM »
Hards, I remember that snow day in December finals.  I believe I had a Public Speaking that day, our dime piece of a prof had said we could take our grade going into the final, or retake in January.  Gladly took my B, and said peace out honeywagon!

chapman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 09:25:41 PM »
People from my office here in downtown Milwaukee left work at noon today to "beat the blizzard."  It's 4:35 and there isn't a flake in the sky.  Get a grip people.

This happens every time there is a chance of any snow in NC; everyone gets worried and it becomes the big talk of the day.  After braving Milwaukee winters it's a joke.

We had a couple snow days when I was at MU.  Students have to be having a blast tonight.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 09:27:47 PM by chapman »

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 09:56:15 PM »
It was January of '94.  I remember it well because they cancelled the first day of classes of the second semester, but had class the next day even though it was colder because they had the "official" opening of the new math/computer building.
Yep - I remember it well too.  They held class the colder day because of the opening and because the administration realized that when they did close down most of the students just headed for the bars.  They figured if the students could walk to the bars they could handle walking to class.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 10:05:43 PM »

Rant off.  Go Marquette. 

I think it was warranted...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

🏀

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 10:07:04 PM »
Yeah, if it was snowing out, I just didn't go to class.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 10:41:21 PM »

I remember going home to CA then coming back to O'D...and the word that the boilers were shut down over break and couldn't get started.

I also remember that lots of people were going to KMart, etc. to get space heaters...which, we were told, were illegal to have in the dorm room.

Mind you, I had three-four layers, bundled with a blanket and comforter and could see my breath in my room!

What an experience... :)
SS Marquette

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2011, 10:35:34 AM »
I was in O'D as well.. a few rooms down they were pouring rubbing alcohol into ashtrays and lighting that on fire to generate heat.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2011, 11:23:10 AM »
Yeah, if it was snowing out, I just didn't go to class.

Or rain.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2011, 11:32:46 AM »
I think it was warranted...

Yep.  A University has hundreds of employees that need to get to work.  What oftentimes happens is that 2/3 of the profs will cancel their classes anyway, so rather having it on a case-by-case basis, its just easier for everyone to cancel.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2011, 12:50:01 PM »
Or rain.

Or if it was drunk out the night before.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2011, 01:07:20 PM »
Or rain.

Or if the weather was too nice, e.g. the first 70* of the year.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2011, 04:12:57 PM »
Or if the weather was too nice, e.g. the first 70* of the year.

Or if I needed a nap.

VwArrior1

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2011, 04:24:58 PM »
Don't really get snow down here in VA that much.  We do have the hurricanes though.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2011, 05:06:32 PM »
Or if your girlfriend suggested skipping your 9 o'clock.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2011, 08:21:16 PM »
Hards, I remember that snow day in December finals.  I believe I had a Public Speaking that day, our dime piece of a prof had said we could take our grade going into the final, or retake in January.  Gladly took my B, and said peace out honeywagon!

speech teachers were hot.  only class i ever went to office hours regularly.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2011, 11:21:17 PM »
I was in O'D as well.. a few rooms down they were pouring rubbing alcohol into ashtrays and lighting that on fire to generate heat.

Spiral, what was your residence history at MU?

Mine was O'D>Mashuda>off-campus apt.

While at OD, I was in the 3 North wing. I didn't hear about the alcohol burning...
SS Marquette

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2011, 09:51:03 AM »
speech teachers were hot.

Agreed. Is there a basis for this? Can we get Sugar to run the numbers?

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2011, 10:18:16 AM »
January 1979.  2 or 3 snow days in 15 days.  At that point, MU had not shut down for snow in a long time.

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2011, 10:34:08 AM »
I spent 7 years attending MU
I suspect you are a Ph.D. or something but I couldn't help but think of this from Tommy Boy:

Tommy: Did you hear I finally graduated?
Richard Hayden: Yeah, and just a shade under a decade too. All right.
Tommy: You know a lot of people go to college for seven years.
Richard Hayden: I know, they're called doctors.

only a warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2011, 10:17:42 AM »
I suspect you are a Ph.D. or something but I couldn't help but think of this from Tommy Boy:

Tommy: Did you hear I finally graduated?
Richard Hayden: Yeah, and just a shade under a decade too. All right.
Tommy: You know a lot of people go to college for seven years.
Richard Hayden: I know, they're called doctors.

Or from Animal House..."7 years of college down the drain"... lmfao