'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bulldog bullstuff  (Read 21912 times)

lohaus

• Starter
Re: Bulldog bullstuff
« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2017, 09:08:32 PM »
Heldt. . .jeez, dude is running all over playing center field.  He sets himself up poorly on the pick and roll defense by going at least a step too high every time with a narrow base. He can't change directions as quick.  Not a problem with someone like Hauser.  I can't remember seeing a 6'10" college dude running all over so much on defense ever.

Heldt. . . Dude gets good position, catches ball, then goes to a fade away hook on seems like every move. Not strong enough, plays too high, and the defensive body push makes him fade.

Heldt. .. I would have much more respect for him if he would just lay someone out. . Just one time. . On a dunk attempt. Instead it is always like a get out of the way shoulder turn.  Even on help defense he seems to not even get his arms up much less jump and create a challenge.  At least act like you are 6'10" and give someone something to worry about.  Give me a couple of goon fouls to at least get guys thinking twice.

TJ. . . Man, it seems like his fouls are the stupidest fouls that aren't even involved in the play. The ball literally crosses half court and he gets some stupid push call. I think it was 34 seconds to pick his fourth foul up on this play.

GE / Cain. . . These guys bring energy and make shots that HC probably never could. They hustle. They block shots. They get steals. Again, entirely optimistic about the opportunity for these guys to grow with the available additional minutes.

AR. . He seems like one of those players that like to hold the ball too long just so he is "forced" to take that shot clock buzzer beating shot.  Claiming he had no time. It is almost a guarantee with 9 seconds he will back out the dribble and keep the ball to jack it.

As far as the season, way too early to throw in the towel. At this point last year I was convinced Katin R sucked and was garbage. He was probably my favorite player at the end of the year.  Addition of HF will help. Crossing my fingers that both or  either GE and Cain keep developing and showing.  Crossing my fingers TJ figures it out and stays on the court.

My biggest question is as GE develops do you keep one of the Smurfs on the bench and sub them in? It didn't seem to work for Rowsey today.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2017, 09:47:21 PM »
I don’t care enough to whine.

Well, Goose, you did say you missed Buzz. And other posts you have made over the years lead me to believe that you do care a lot about MU hoops. And it's OK to care a lot. All of us do, no?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #77 on: December 02, 2017, 09:54:12 PM »
MU82

I still enjoy talking ball on here. MU ball has been a big part of my life and I have loved it. Good or bad, I have lost my zest over past five years. Always will care and hope for the best.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #78 on: December 02, 2017, 10:24:05 PM »
Well, Goose, you did say you missed Buzz.

If you're a Marquette fan who prefers excellence to ordinary it stands to reason you miss Buzz.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #79 on: December 02, 2017, 10:30:17 PM »
If you're a Marquette fan who prefers excellence to ordinary it stands to reason you miss Buzz.
Well you could also look at Buzz’s final season at MU, the season he likely would have had after that one and what he’s done at VT and reason that Buzz isn’t necessarily a great example of ‘excellence’.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #80 on: December 02, 2017, 10:37:24 PM »
Well you could also look at Buzz’s final season at MU, the season he likely would have had after that one and what he’s done at VT and reason that Buzz isn’t necessarily a great example of ‘excellence’.

Given VT's history, their conference and the state of the program when Buzz arrived in Blacksburg I'd say his results have been absolutely excellent.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #81 on: December 02, 2017, 10:44:35 PM »
Given VT's history, their conference and the state of the program when Buzz arrived in Blacksburg I'd say his results have been absolutely excellent.
Absolutely excellent? Meh

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #82 on: December 02, 2017, 10:47:33 PM »
Absolutely excellent? Meh

VTech in the top half of the ACC and in the NCAA tourney = excellence (for them).

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #83 on: December 02, 2017, 10:49:17 PM »
Rowsey and Howard need to play together. It was stupid not to start Rowsey. It was even dumber trying to stagger Rowsey and Howard.

2. Live by the three. Die by the three

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #84 on: December 02, 2017, 10:50:41 PM »

? VT has outperformed marquette in recent years and heavily outperformed vt's historical records.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #85 on: December 02, 2017, 10:54:45 PM »
VTech in the top half of the ACC and in the NCAA tourney = excellence (for them).
Ok well relative excellence is different... he hasn’t won a tournament game in 4 years and has a bubble team in year 4 of his new gig. He had a nice run at MU, but I think he probably reached his ceiling at MU too.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #86 on: December 02, 2017, 10:56:38 PM »
Ok well relative excellence is different... he hasn’t won a tournament game in 4 years and has a bubble team in year 4 of his new gig. He had a nice run at MU, but I think he probably reached his ceiling at MU too.

I mean his ceiling was pretty damn high. Big east Champs (In the better division) and an elite 8. I'd take that any day.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #87 on: December 02, 2017, 11:04:18 PM »
I mean his ceiling was pretty damn high. Big east Champs (In the better division) and an elite 8. I'd take that any day.
I’d definitely take it too, but I don’t see him continuing that type of success. The roster he left at MU and what he’s done at VTech give me doubts at how good of a coach he really is.

Getting a lackluster program to the NCAA doesn’t impress me. Plenty of guys have done it.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #88 on: December 03, 2017, 12:02:42 AM »
I'm really concerned about Matt Heldt.  Someone earlier said he missed six close in hook shots.  He makes half of those MU wins.  I know we lost by more than six, but they would have been chasing us at the end rather than us chasing them and fouling, if Matt shoots 50% on those.  All of those shots that I saw were short or off the front rim.  Usually that's fatigue or a player who isn't confident and is being too careful with his shot.  MU needs for Matt to get his groove back and start sticking his share of shots.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #89 on: December 03, 2017, 06:58:30 AM »
Sorry Lenny, I have been an MU fan for over 60 years (I know, old man, get off my lawn), prefer excellence over ordinary, and do not miss the Lonesome cowboy. Leave him where he is at.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #90 on: December 03, 2017, 07:07:46 AM »
Where was Sam?  Sam seemed invisible in the second half.  We need Sam to play more aggressively on offense for us to win.  He's got the ability at 6'8" to score inside as well as outside.  We need him to shoot more.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #91 on: December 03, 2017, 07:08:36 AM »

Nope. Not saying Wojo’s the guy but Buzz wasn’t the long term solution. Missing him is irrelevant and a waste of energy. And frankly a little pathetic.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #92 on: December 03, 2017, 07:09:04 AM »
Where was Sam?  Sam seemed invisible in the second half.  We need Sam to play more aggressively on offense for us to win.  He's got the ability at 6'8" to score inside as well as outside.  We need him to shoot more.

Is he injured?

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #93 on: December 03, 2017, 07:52:05 AM »
Rowsey and Howard need to play together. It was stupid not to start Rowsey. It was even dumber trying to stagger Rowsey and Howard.

2. Live by the three. Die by the three
Not a huge Rowsey fan. Yeah I get it, he can shoot the ball and at times carry the team, but he is a ball hog, turns the ball over and takes terrible shots at bad times. He is the kind of player that would make the team as a whole  better by his absence. It must suck for his team mates to work their asses off only to have this joker jack up a 30 footer. not good for the team concept, it's on Wojo to do something about it.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #94 on: December 03, 2017, 07:53:52 AM »
Did Lenny and Goose get together last night and decide to go on an apathetic anti-Wojo campaign?

connie

• All American
« Reply #95 on: December 03, 2017, 08:06:16 AM »
I can miss the Buzzard and still be glad he's gone.  The world he lived in changed, and while I don't totally agree on the reasoning, it was probably for the best.  I can like Wojo and still be frustrated that he can't seem to teach defense or recruit guys that he can teach defense.  I can agree this team is playing to expectations and still believe that our expectations in year 4 of a coaches' tenure should be higher. I can still be an MU fan and find myself struggling to justify hauling myself downtown for an 8pm Tuesday game against a cupcake, especially when our performance is questionable.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

tower912

• All American
« Reply #96 on: December 03, 2017, 08:16:36 AM »
What yesterday really revealed is the desperate need for a 2018 PG.     I liked Buzz.   I think he is a better coach than either Wojo or Crean.   However, that ship has sailed.   I just wanted Willie, one of the biggest Buzz haters around, to admit he misses Buzz.   Just to amuse myself. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #97 on: December 03, 2017, 08:37:47 AM »
PTM

What did I say anti Wojo? I said he is not on the hot seat.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #98 on: December 03, 2017, 08:49:04 AM »
What yesterday really revealed is the desperate need for a 2018 PG.     I liked Buzz.   I think he is a better coach than either Wojo or Crean.   However, that ship has sailed.   I just wanted Willie, one of the biggest Buzz haters around, to admit he misses Buzz.   Just to amuse myself.
But I did not admit I missed him. You will have to find other ways to abuse..er..excuse me..amuse yourself.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #99 on: December 03, 2017, 08:55:13 AM »
PTM

What did I say anti Wojo? I said he is not on the hot seat.

While not directly, don't you think that expressing general disappointment in the program is dissatisfaction with Wojo?

feedback