[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 1/22 Bracketology  (Read 11224 times)

drewm88

• All American
1/22 Bracketology
« on: January 22, 2013, 12:11:38 PM »
MU a 7 seed playing Colorado State in Dayton. Winner plays...Florida. I'll pass.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: 1/22 Bracketology
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 12:22:04 PM »
So would the committee, most likely. They usually try to avoid having teams potentially play another team in the first weekend that they already played in the regular season.

Not always, but generally.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 12:28:37 PM »
Though it would be fun to hang with all of our new friends from Dayton.   ::)

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 12:28:51 PM »
So would the committee, most likely. They usually try to avoid having teams potentially play another team in the first weekend that they already played in the regular season.

Not always, but generally.

Second round (Round of 64) re-matches are prohibited.  Third round (Round of 32) re-matches are allowed, but only to preserve other selection rules/guidelines.

In other words, the committee would need a compelling reason to match Florida & MU in the third round... it couldn't just match the two up for the sake of convenience.  Lunardi does a decent job of forecasting the teams that will be in the tournament, but he's not so great with locations/matchups.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 01:06:16 PM »
Florida will end up a 1 seed.  The SEC is pretty much garbage this year.  Would not be shocked at all to see them enter the tournament on a 20+ game winning streak while other 1 seed contenders will likely drop at least a couple tough conference games between now and then.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 01:07:44 PM »

In other words, the committee would need a compelling reason to match Florida & MU in the third round.

Nothing about that first match up should compel them to schedule another match up.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 01:17:39 PM »
Nothing about that first match up should compel them to schedule another match up.

LOL.  Ouch.  True.  But ouch.   :-[

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 01:22:54 PM »
Florida will end up a 1 seed.  The SEC is pretty much garbage this year.  Would not be shocked at all to see them enter the tournament on a 20+ game winning streak while other 1 seed contenders will likely drop at least a couple tough conference games between now and then.

They definitely should be a 1-seed. I think they should handle Ole Miss at home and Missouri on the road. The toughest game will probably be the season finale at Kentucky. While the Wildcats have underwhelmed, they are so young that you could see a big jump between now and March 9.

Looking ahead, Florida seems like the most likely lock. They have only 2 games according to kenpom with less than a 91% chance to win (@ Missouri 85, @ Kentucky 78). Duke and Kansas also seem like pretty solid bets. I think the last #1 seed will either go to a Big East or Big Ten team that wins both the conference and conference tourney. If no one does that, I think Syracuse/Louisville have the edge on any Big Ten team...there's just too many top teams in that league.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 01:45:03 PM »
I think the last #1 seed will either go to a Big East or Big Ten team that wins both the conference and conference tourney. If no one does that, I think Syracuse/Louisville have the edge on any Big Ten team...there's just too many top teams in that league.

I'll go one step further... there will be more teams from the future C7 (including the invite 3 or 5) in the Sweet Sixteen than from the Big Ten.

Of course, I'm going to eat my words because Georgetown will probably screw it up by losing to an 11 seed.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 01:47:35 PM »
I agree that FLA is headed to a #1.  But the simple tweak I'd make is to slide Tommy's team in as the #2 at Dayton.  Notice the other side with Butler on the headline bill as well.  That's going to be one helluva good time if it materializes.  See you boys there.

boyonthedock

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 02:16:24 PM »
I think Indiana is a 3 seed, tops. Lotta losses left on the ledger for them in the big ten.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 02:28:08 PM »
I think Indiana is a 3 seed, tops. Lotta losses left on the ledger for them in the big ten.

Unless the train derails, it's hard to imagine IU dropping below a 2-seed. IU has 7 more games with teams currently ranked in the top 15. Even if they go 2-5 in those games, that's still 2 quality wins and 5 "quality losses" (for lack of a better term). Not to mention, a team that was the preseason #1 typically gets a little more slack.

boyonthedock

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 02:35:12 PM »
yep. the predictin' business is a tough road to hoe. Just the way I see it goin' down, but I've been colossally, criminally wrong before.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 10:35:54 PM »
Unless the train derails, it's hard to imagine IU dropping below a 2-seed. IU has 7 more games with teams currently ranked in the top 15. Even if they go 2-5 in those games, that's still 2 quality wins and 5 "quality losses" (for lack of a better term). Not to mention, a team that was the preseason #1 typically gets a little more slack.

A team with only three quality wins and seven "quality" losses isn't exactly the profile of a 2-seed.

IU has beaten one team that is ranked today... Minnesota.  Personally, I think Minnesota is going to be exposed, just like those two other "quality" teams IU played: Georgetown and North Carolina.

Frankly, IU doesn't even deserve to be in the top 10 at this juncture.  Florida, Butler and Gonzaga should all be in front of IU, and you could probably make a case for New Mexico.  I bet on Feb 11th, they drop out of the AP-25.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 10:47:09 PM »
A team with only three quality wins and seven "quality" losses isn't exactly the profile of a 2-seed.

IU has beaten one team that is ranked today... Minnesota.  Personally, I think Minnesota is going to be exposed, just like those two other "quality" teams IU played: Georgetown and North Carolina.

Frankly, IU doesn't even deserve to be in the top 10 at this juncture.  Florida, Butler and Gonzaga should all be in front of IU, and you could probably make a case for New Mexico.  I bet on Feb 11th, they drop out of the AP-25.

Just so I'm clear, on Feb 11th IU drops out of the AP Top 25?   Please, name the wager and I'll give you 2:1 odds to make it more entertaining.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 11:14:23 PM »
Just so I'm clear, on Feb 11th IU drops out of the AP Top 25?   Please, name the wager and I'll give you 2:1 odds to make it more entertaining.

I'll bet a night of blackout drinking at the first C-7 conference tournament in Indy they don't drop out.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 11:57:49 PM »
Second round (Round of 64) re-matches are prohibited.  Third round (Round of 32) re-matches are allowed, but only to preserve other selection rules/guidelines.

In other words, the committee would need a compelling reason to match Florida & MU in the third round... it couldn't just match the two up for the sake of convenience.  Lunardi does a decent job of forecasting the teams that will be in the tournament, but he's not so great with locations/matchups.

To me this is like an early mock draft where you dont factor on team needs until real close to the draft. It's way to early to be looking into matchup and potential scenarios that won't be allowed. You just are trying to get a general standing. If you fool around with I right now, it would lose accuracy since you are only shifting for hypotheticals. 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2013, 09:06:48 AM »

Put the prediction in your signature line, and if you win, you can choose any post of mine that I'll put in my signature until the end of the season, and if I win, I get to choose any post of yours to put in your signature.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2013, 09:14:40 AM »
Put the prediction in your signature line, and if you win, you can choose any post of mine that I'll put in my signature until the end of the season, and if I win, I get to choose any post of yours to put in your signature.

Not the most attractive bet, I'd rather it benefit a charity, or enrich someone a bit.  Terms accepted, but hopefully you are open to something a bit more creative.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2013, 10:16:19 AM »
Not the most attractive bet, I'd rather it benefit a charity, or enrich someone a bit.  Terms accepted, but hopefully you are open to something a bit more creative.

If I win, I know exactly what I'm going to put in your signature line, and rest assured, it will be enriching for all Scoopers.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2013, 10:18:15 AM »

IU has beaten one team that is ranked today... Minnesota.  Personally, I think Minnesota is going to be exposed, just like those two other "quality" teams IU played: Georgetown and North Carolina.

Frankly, IU doesn't even deserve to be in the top 10 at this juncture.  Florida, Butler and Gonzaga should all be in front of IU, and you could probably make a case for New Mexico.  I bet on Feb 11th, they drop out of the AP-25.

I hope you're right about IU being overrated but think the real odds for them being out of the top 25 at any time this season, let alone by Feb 11, are minuscule.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2013, 11:44:02 AM »
Indiana is currently ranked #7 in the country. For Indiana to drop out, they'll have to lose more than the expected games. Here's their schedule blocks:

WEEK ONE: Penn State, Michigan State

Both at home. If they win both, they'll probably climb 2 spots and I would guess there is absolutely no way they drop out.

WEEK TWO: @ Purdue, Michigan

Losing to Michigan, even at home, won't hurt much. Losing to Purdue would. Regardless, they are very good at home, and Purdue hasn't been very good anywhere.

WEEK THREE: @ Illinois, @ Ohio State

This may be one the Illini need, and I expect they'd lose to Ohio State. IU is usually poor on the road, so a 2-loss week is possible.

In that stretch, I think they need to go 1-5 to drop out completely. Even if they go 2-4 (beating PSU and Purdue) I think they will be right around the 20-25 spots. They play at least one top-15 team each week, those don't hurt you that much.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2013, 11:55:22 AM »
If I win, I know exactly what I'm going to put in your signature line, and rest assured, it will be enriching for all Scoopers.

This excites me, but I'm doubtful of the outcome.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2013, 11:57:20 AM »
Indiana is currently ranked #7 in the country. For Indiana to drop out, they'll have to lose more than the expected games. Here's their schedule blocks:

WEEK ONE: Penn State, Michigan State

Both at home. If they win both, they'll probably climb 2 spots and I would guess there is absolutely no way they drop out.

WEEK TWO: @ Purdue, Michigan

Losing to Michigan, even at home, won't hurt much. Losing to Purdue would. Regardless, they are very good at home, and Purdue hasn't been very good anywhere.

WEEK THREE: @ Illinois, @ Ohio State

This may be one the Illini need, and I expect they'd lose to Ohio State. IU is usually poor on the road, so a 2-loss week is possible.

In that stretch, I think they need to go 1-5 to drop out completely. Even if they go 2-4 (beating PSU and Purdue) I think they will be right around the 20-25 spots. They play at least one top-15 team each week, those don't hurt you that much.

I only see it happening if they beat PSU and lose the rest.

JD

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2013, 12:20:06 PM »

I'm licking my chops over here... Please win Benny, and please lose IU.
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

feedback