collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Lovell releases new statement re: McAdams  (Read 44394 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Lovell releases new statement re: McAdams
« Reply #300 on: April 08, 2016, 10:56:27 PM »
I guess you missed the dozens of other articles that were printed before Lovell's statement, which gave only McAdam's side of the story.

I know tons of people whose opinion of the issue  changed once they read Lovell's post. 

And at least now people in the University's camp have something to direct people to when their friends and acquaintances go off on Marquette based on incomplete information.

Didn't Lovell accomplish that when he announced the University's "official position" on the matter? Or were they "just kidding...here's what we really meant"?

Let McAdams spout off in public; Marquette should not debate a disgruntled employee.

Again, I go back to effects: What did Marquette really gain by having Lovell Tweet out a statement on an internal personnel matter?

From my vantage point he earned Marquette a nasty oped in the WSJ.

Frankly, I am not just unimpressed but disgusted that Mike Lovell lowered himself in the cesspool of public opinion.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #301 on: April 08, 2016, 11:10:36 PM »
I'm simply not willing to replace an approved process with a self-appointed defacto omsbudman. Perhaps we disagree. That's fine.

glow

Is the University President tweeting out about an internal personnel matter an "approved process?"

Because, like McAdams, Lovell made himself a de facto ombudsman by employing social media to comment publicly on an adverse personnel action.

Teddy Roosevelt said it best: "if you are given command, command!"

Death on call

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #302 on: April 08, 2016, 11:34:55 PM »
glow

Is the University President tweeting out about an internal personnel matter an "approved process?"

Because, like McAdams, Lovell made himself a de facto ombudsman by employing social media to comment publicly on an adverse personnel action.

Teddy Roosevelt said it best: "if you are given command, command!"

Keefe, somehow you keep thinking I have an opinion on the PR aspect.  I simply have an opinion on the legitimacy of MU's disciplinary action.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #303 on: April 09, 2016, 02:24:33 AM »
Keefe, somehow you keep thinking I have an opinion on the PR aspect.  I simply have an opinion on the legitimacy of MU's disciplinary action.

Roger that

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #304 on: April 09, 2016, 08:31:57 AM »

....again after McAdams made it public knowledge in his blog. Would it have come down otherwise?

Not a chance

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #305 on: April 09, 2016, 09:52:56 AM »
To answer your question,  no, the Philosophy Department would not have addressed the issue in my opinion.  But I sincerely believe that the Dean would have if given the chance.  As an example,  recall how quickly the mural was dealt with.

Wasn't the mural there for years?

And the crackpot running that Gender program was a lunatic. One of the "textbooks" was a coloring book of vaginas...

"Wisconsin’s Marquette University will host a 12-week workshop on sex, feminism and masturbation, despite concerns that the workshop’s themes and activities clash with the school’s Catholic identity.

The workshop is produced by FemSex, a student-led group with a presence on many college campuses, and will be hosted in university buildings by the University Honors Program for its 12-week run. Each week will feature a different topic, such as “Masturbation, Orgasm, and Pleasure,” “Power and Privilege,” and “Gender and Identity.”

Participating students will complete raunchy homework assignments, like coloring anatomical pictures in “The aunt Coloring Book” and writing about their sexually pleasurable experiences, according to Campus Reform."

http://collegeinsurrection.com/2013/09/catholic-college-hosts-sex-workshop-featuring-ct-coloring-book/

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #307 on: April 09, 2016, 10:40:35 AM »
Again, I go back to effects: What did Marquette really gain by having Lovell Tweet out a statement on an internal personnel matter?

I have answered the question repeatedly.  You choose to ignore it.  (Except for telling me what the CEO of Zipcar would do.   ::) )  If you disagree with my response, that's fine.  However don't act like it hasn't been addressed.

From my vantage point he earned Marquette a nasty oped in the WSJ.

THE HORROR!!!!  This will have little impact on MU overall.  Only will serve to reinforce people who are "outraged."

Frankly, I am not just unimpressed but disgusted that Mike Lovell lowered himself in the cesspool of public opinion.

LOL.  I hope he finds a way to sleep at night.

He did great.  Hope he does it again.  Just hope that the likes of Chicos and yourself have a fainting couch handy.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #308 on: April 09, 2016, 10:47:20 AM »
I have answered the question repeatedly.  You choose to ignore it.  (Except for telling me what the CEO of Zipcar would do.   ::) )  If you disagree with my response, that's fine.  However don't act like it hasn't been addressed.

THE HORROR!!!!  This will have little impact on MU overall.  Only will serve to reinforce people who are "outraged."

LOL.  I hope he finds a way to sleep at night.

He did great.  Hope he does it again.  Just hope that the likes of Chicos and yourself have a fainting couch handy.

We disagree and that's fine. No one is is incorrect. We all will act accordingly. I wrote a check earlier this year to another alma mater with a second's hesitation.

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #309 on: April 09, 2016, 10:47:28 AM »
Wasn't the mural there for years?

Nope, but it would have been.  Thanks to McAdams bringing it to the attention of the public, it didn't live long. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #310 on: April 09, 2016, 10:50:12 AM »

And I hope that the Catholic university I went to will actually allow students and faculty to express Catholic teachings and thoughts without being threatened, cut off, etc.

Wouldn't that be nice.

I, too, have donated to other alma maters of late.  MU calls on the phone, a ton, and I just don't answer.  Still love the school, but the lack of a principled back bone when it comes to Catholic dogma, teachings, etc, and cutting off people of faith, is just sickening.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #311 on: April 09, 2016, 11:10:44 AM »
And I hope that the Catholic university I went to will actually allow students and faculty to express Catholic teachings and thoughts without being threatened, cut off, etc.

Holy sh*t.  Talk about ignoring the major issues... 

I can't even begin to address this.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #312 on: April 09, 2016, 11:42:06 AM »
MU alumni group criticizes Lovell

http://marquettewire.org/3947299/tribune/tribune-news/mcadams-officially-rejects-punishment-determined-by-president-lovell/

If folks want more information on the Louis Joliet Society, which is attempting to bring back Catholicism at Catholic universities, I invite to click here.

http://www.louisjolietsociety.com/

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #313 on: April 09, 2016, 11:43:18 AM »
"It is sometimes claimed that dissent from the Magisterium is totally compatible with being a ‘good Catholic,’ and poses no obstacle to the reception of the Sacraments. This is a grave error that challenges the teaching of the Bishops in the United States and elsewhere."

Saint Pope John Paul II

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #314 on: April 09, 2016, 12:04:08 PM »

http://marquettewire.org/3947299/tribune/tribune-news/mcadams-officially-rejects-punishment-determined-by-president-lovell/

If folks want more information on the Louis Joliet Society, which is attempting to bring back Catholicism at Catholic universities, I invite to click here.

Oh here we go again.  Chicos the victim parrots talking points that aren't really even the issue.

Abbate handled it wrong.  It was how McAdams' handled it after that which is the problem.  It's not about "political correctness."  It's not about rejection of Catholic teaching.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #315 on: April 09, 2016, 01:43:17 PM »

Oh here we go again.  Chicos the victim parrots talking points that aren't really even the issue.

Abbate handled it wrong.  It was how McAdams' handled it after that which is the problem.  It's not about "political correctness."  It's not about rejection of Catholic teaching.

....but if they somehow get rid of McAdams they can continue the canard that Marquette is a Catholic University, because there will be no one who will speak to the hypocrisy, which I believe is their ultimate goal.

http://www.louisjolietsociety.com/secularization/signs-and-symptoms/

Thanks, Chico. I'll contribute to these folks rather than MU this time around. I find it curious that all the higher ups at MU have "Protected e-mail" I guess we the unwashed have no direct access to these folks.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 01:47:32 PM by muwarrior69 »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #316 on: April 09, 2016, 02:01:00 PM »
....but if they somehow get rid of McAdams they can continue the canard that Marquette is a Catholic University, because there will be no one who will speak to the hypocrisy, which I believe is their ultimate goal.

Right.  Marquette wants to no longer be Catholic and is getting rid of the ONE person that would speak toward that hypocrisy. 

There is no limit to people's warping of logic to excuse someone's sh*tty workplace behavior...

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #317 on: April 09, 2016, 02:11:06 PM »

Right.  Marquette wants to no longer be Catholic and is getting rid of the ONE person that would speak toward that hypocrisy. 

There is no limit to people's warping of logic to excuse someone's sh*tty workplace behavior...

Next step...getting rid of all those pain-in-the-ass Jesuits...
Have some patience, FFS.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #318 on: April 09, 2016, 03:03:04 PM »
Next step...getting rid of all those pain-in-the-ass Jesuits...

oh, we still have those?  interesting since not a word about this incident from any of them that i've heard anyway.  i'll bet they're holed up in the man cave of their new digs watching the exorcist in HD and surround sound or something
don't...don't don't don't don't

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #319 on: April 09, 2016, 04:24:42 PM »
oh, we still have those?  interesting since not a word about this incident from any of them that i've heard anyway.  i'll bet they're holed up in the man cave of their new digs watching the exorcist in HD and surround sound or something

I don't know. ..maybe they support the school's position and took keefe's advice to keep their yappers shut.

And I really don't get the snark about the new Jes Res. It was financed 100% by a single donor and their old residence was literally falling down around them. I'm sure some of y'all would prefer to move the basketball team in there instead (It would be great for recruiting) But unfortunately the donor was shortsighted enough to make it a restricted gift, so that is all the university could spend it on.
Have some patience, FFS.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #320 on: April 09, 2016, 06:53:08 PM »
I don't know. ..maybe they support the school's position and took keefe's advice to keep their yappers shut.

And I really don't get the snark about the new Jes Res. It was financed 100% by a single donor and their old residence was literally falling down around them. I'm sure some of y'all would prefer to move the basketball team in there instead (It would be great for recruiting) But unfortunately the donor was shortsighted enough to make it a restricted gift, so that is all the university could spend it on.

you call it snark, i call it havin a little fun-sorry, i should have tealed it.  i'm sure there are some mixed feelings.  that's why they brought in lovell-to handle the hot stuff-Ein'a
don't...don't don't don't don't

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #321 on: April 09, 2016, 11:04:35 PM »

Was it "workplace behavior?"

Seems to me McAdams did his blog on his own platform in his own time.

What I don't know is if he violated something contractual.

Death on call

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #322 on: April 10, 2016, 12:04:55 AM »

It's good to know that this Catholic cause is cool for you to defend. I'll look for you to defend them all

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #323 on: April 10, 2016, 11:19:56 AM »
It's good to know that this Catholic cause is cool for you to defend. I'll look for you to defend them all

You couldn't have missed this one if you had all day to think about it.  MU is a Catholic institution, the "support" I'm giving is to allow Catholic teachings and issues to be discussed, taught, etc....wait for it....at a Catholic institution without threats, stifling of speech, etc.    Does this mean I support or defend all Catholic positions?  Absolutely not...which is why you are so wrong here.    I'm trying to support the ability to have the dialogue at a supposedly Catholic institution where Catholics, today, are cut off from having Catholic positions....the irony.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #324 on: April 10, 2016, 11:30:41 AM »
You couldn't have missed this one if you had all day to think about it.  MU is a Catholic institution, the "support" I'm giving is to allow Catholic teachings and issues to be discussed, taught, etc....wait for it....at a Catholic institution without threats, stifling of speech, etc.    Does this mean I support or defend all Catholic positions?  Absolutely not...which is why you are so wrong here.    I'm trying to support the ability to have the dialogue at a supposedly Catholic institution where Catholics, today, are cut off from having Catholic positions....the irony.

From what I have read from sox he is neither that bright nor is he terribly open-minded. He does make a lot of noise, though.

Death on call