'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Why is it always "The Road to the Final Four"  (Read 2513 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Why is it always "The Road to the Final Four"
« on: March 19, 2008, 01:18:01 AM »
I was just wondering why everything is centered around the Final Four and not the National Championship.  T-shirts, CBS, basketballs, advertisements, ESPN, and pretty much everything else uses the Final Four logo.  CBS even calls the whole tournament, "the road to the Final Four".

Why is all the focus placed on the Final Four and not the National Championship?

Markusquette

• All American
Re: Why is it always "The Road to the Final Four"
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 01:41:33 AM »
While the national championship is clearly the coveted thing in college basketball, I think that it just relates to how impressive making it to the final four is, and the main reason might be just because it determines who makes it to the championship which is exciting.  But it is kind of weird why they relate everything to "the road to the final four".

MURFC

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 04:49:24 AM »
I was just wondering why everything is centered around the Final Four and not the National Championship.  T-shirts, CBS, basketballs, advertisements, ESPN, and pretty much everything else uses the Final Four logo.  CBS even calls the whole tournament, "the road to the Final Four".

Why is all the focus placed on the Final Four and not the National Championship?

I think it is because it is the last weekend of the tournament.  You have a tremendous amount of build-up going through each round.....the final four is the final showcase weekend of the tournament.

I love it - I think it is just another reason why the tournament is so great.  Plus, it is probably easier to build excitment over four teams than just two.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 07:49:46 AM »

The likely answer is that the NCAA owns the trademark for "Final Four" but is not able to trademark "National Championship."

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 07:55:48 AM »
Because schools that make the Final Four remember it forever (unless you're Duke or UNC or UCLA or something). 

We were beaten like a rented mule when we were in the Final Four in 2003, but who doesn't remember that tournament fondly?

Now, if we were edged by Kansas in OT in a regional final, I don't think we would remember it so fondly.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 09:29:31 AM by CTWarrior »
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

The Man in Gold

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 07:58:01 AM »
Since the Final Four is the host of everything surrounding the national championship, it makes sense on that level.  Also its the final destination for college basketball.  Its similiar to how college football builds up the entire BCS, not just the national championship.
Captain, We need more sweatervests!  TheManInGold has been blinded by the light (off the technicolor sweatervest)

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 09:29:23 AM »
i think that it is so heavily marketed this why because as a member of one of the four teams you are your regions champion, hence why MU got rings for being in the final four. While you still do always want the national championship, you are still a champion of your region. That is my thought.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

BuzzSucksSucks

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 10:45:50 AM »
Because it implies drama and heroism, and it sounds good.  Just like you have your Fab Four, your Fantastic 4, your Four Horsemen, your Magnificent Seven, and your Dirty Dozen, it communicates something much more weighty than a simple basketball tournament

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 11:18:35 AM »
some reporter probably said it, it stuck, and now is the coin phrase.  However isn't the final four itself somewhat like a party.  Like the super bowl, all-star weekend for baseball/basketball, its a giant party that has a couple basketball games.  I could be wrong, but that is what I pictured it as, and who doesn't want to go to that?
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 12:23:41 PM »
Good points.   Thanks!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 12:35:54 PM »
Because you must be a Warrior to get to the FF.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 01:26:29 PM »
Because you must be a Warrior to get to the FF.

Unless it's 2003 when they let Golden Eagles in.