[May 03, 2024, 08:27:54 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 03, 2024, 01:20:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Woj Coaching Context  (Read 6544 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Woj Coaching Context
« on: March 22, 2019, 02:22:50 PM »
Some context of where Woj is at in his coaching career:

Here's the list of Power 5 coaches + Big East with at least 60 career coaching wins at their current program (so they have been there through a full four recruiting classes) and zero NCAA tournament wins in their career is this: Tim Miles, Danny Manning, Pat Chambers, Jim Christian, and Wojo.

Of the names above, it's rumored Miles will be fired, and Wake Forest, BC, and Penn State all had to go out of their way to issue statements that their coaches would return next season.

NickelDimer

• All American
Re: Woj Coaching Context
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 02:25:32 PM »
Oooooooooh boy
No Finish Line

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 02:28:32 PM »
My goodness, that’s an ugly list of bad basketball programs.

Here’s something else:  In another thread, it was mentioned that UW had made it out of the first round in 11 of their last 12 tourney appearances.  For Purdue, it’s 17 of 19.  But yeah, the tournament is a crapshoot, it depends who you play, and getting your ass kicked is in no way an indictment of the coach or the program he’s built.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 02:29:13 PM »
Also failed to mention that Chris Mullin is one win short of making this list (career record is 59-73).

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 02:31:08 PM »
Also failed to mention that Chris Mullin is one win short of making this list (career record is 59-73).
Phew. I feel much better now.
No Finish Line

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 02:34:52 PM »
Miles won a Blue & Gold Classic banner over Crean, though.

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 02:35:42 PM »
Fire Tony Bennett.He is losing to a 16 seed again.MU Dish the difference is Wojo program has been trending up since he came to MU and the others you mentioned are trending down.You can spin it to fit your needs.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 02:39:19 PM by Aircraftcarrier »

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 03:15:00 PM »
Fire Bruce Weber he just lost to a 13 seed.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 04:19:30 PM »
Seems like an odd stat. Current P6 head coaches with 60 or more wins at their current job. But then count NCAA Tournament wins from previous jobs.

And guys like Bobby Hurley get a HUGE NCAA Tournament win (see: play in game) so they get off of that list.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 04:28:27 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 04:35:32 PM »
Some context of where Woj is at in his coaching career:

Here's the list of Power 5 coaches + Big East with at least 60 career coaching wins at their current program (so they have been there through a full four recruiting classes) and zero NCAA tournament wins in their career is this: Tim Miles, Danny Manning, Pat Chambers, Jim Christian, and Wojo.

Of the names above, it's rumored Miles will be fired, and Wake Forest, BC, and Penn State all had to go out of their way to issue statements that their coaches would return next season.
None of them were 5 seeds and won 24 games this season and bring everyone back next year.  Kinda apples and oranges.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2019, 04:43:29 PM »
Yeah.  Just say "fire wojo" if it's what you're thinking.  No need to create stats that aren't relevant and are misleading.

Again, firing a winning coach (70% this season) is a recipe for disaster.  If Wojo was in the 50ish % category and trending down, this would be an easy argument.  But he's trending up, whether he's won an NCAA game yet or not...

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2019, 04:44:10 PM »
None of them were 5 seeds and won 24 games this season and bring everyone back next year.  Kinda apples and oranges.

Yep. If Marquette had seasons like any of those programs this year, I don't think a single person would want Wojo to be here. Pointless comparison. Just as pointless as the ones comparing Wojo to K or Wright.

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2019, 04:45:44 PM »
watching bucky go past us while we sit at home and contemplate next year in the tourney year after year is getting really old. 

The Wisconsin program went on an exponential stock rise to their final appearance and they have maintained respectable performances since with what? Its quite amazing what that program has done in the last say 20 years, 

Heres hoping the ducks pull out the upset. 

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2019, 04:49:05 PM »
watching bucky go past us while we sit at home and contemplate next year in the tourney year after year is getting really old. 

The Wisconsin program went on an exponential stock rise to their final appearance and they have maintained respectable performances since with what? Its quite amazing what that program has done in the last say 20 years, 

Heres hoping the ducks pull out the upset.

If they lose today you could easily argue we've been better than them for 2 straight years. If they win, they definitely had a better year.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2019, 04:51:13 PM »

I think we're finally getting to the heart of the issue - at least for MU fans residing in WI.  Recent performance relative to the Badgers has been disappointing. 

My suggestion...move out of WI!

CleanishProgram

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2019, 05:08:05 PM »
I think we're finally getting to the heart of the issue - at least for MU fans residing in WI.  Recent performance relative to the Badgers has been disappointing. 

My suggestion...move out of WI!

Cool, I did, I live in Connecticut.

So I guess I can say it loud and clear with no semblance of hypocrisy!

FIRE WOEFUL

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2019, 05:15:00 PM »
Yeah.  Just say "fire wojo" if it's what you're thinking.  No need to create stats that aren't relevant and are misleading.

Again, firing a winning coach (70% this season) is a recipe for disaster.  If Wojo was in the 50ish % category and trending down, this would be an easy argument.  But he's trending up, whether he's won an NCAA game yet or not...

This really is it. There is zero chance he gets fired and no one that I can tell is even remotely suggesting it nationally. Marquette would be considered insane.

Again next year if they trend down or even maintain - yeah. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2019, 05:19:27 PM »
I think in reality very few think he should be fired now
No Finish Line

Goose

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2019, 05:23:13 PM »
Nickel
I think his leash should be awfully short. IMO there has not been enough bang for the buck. I have nothing against Wojo as a person, just think he is in over his head on most fronts. His recruiting is decent, but helter smelter thus far. I don’t care how he got Henry or the Hausers because he got them and kudo’s on that. Aside from Howard, I do not see another top D1 player recruited that could be a four year player.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 05:27:39 PM by Goose »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2019, 05:24:30 PM »
I think in reality very few think he should be fired now

And, those vociferous voices yesterday that were here expounding the firing are watching their beloved Badgers right now.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2019, 05:27:07 PM »
Nickel
I think his leash should be awfully short. IMO there has not been enough bang for the buck. I have nothing against Wojo as a person, just think he is in over his head on most fronts. His recruiting is decent, but helter smelter thus far. I don’t care how he got Henry or the Hausers because he got them and kudo’s on that. Aside from Howard, I do not see another top D2 player recruited that could be a four year player.
Agree Goose. And I predict next year may be his last. That will be his best team on paper but the conference will be better and he hasn’t shown he knows how to prepare his team for the tourney. Those last several games we saw teams in tourney mode and we couldn’t match it.
No Finish Line

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2019, 05:37:25 PM »
Agree Goose. And I predict next year may be his last.

Sad part about that, is that you're predicting it, and probably hoping for it.

I hope he does well, and I think next year MU will put together what fans hoped they could put together this year when they were 23-4.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2019, 05:40:30 PM »
Sad part about that, is that you're predicting it, and probably hoping for it.

I hope he does well, and I think next year MU will put together what fans hoped they could put together this year when they were 23-4.
That’s just a really dumb thing to say. Youre better than that
No Finish Line

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2019, 05:40:48 PM »
Fire Bruce Weber he just lost to a 13 seed.

Actually, Bruce Weber undermines your point. KSU lost in the first round to a 13 seed and that sucks, but they went to the Elite Eight last year. Wojo has been here 5 years and we haven't done anything in the tourney but get blown out in the first round (if we make it at all). 'Tis the fundamental difference.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2019, 05:43:25 PM »
That’s just a really dumb thing to say. Youre better than that

What's dumb about it?

You said..."predict next year may be his last...he hasn’t shown he knows how to prepare his team for the tourney...".

So you're really saying you hope Wojo recovers from this year and does better next year???