[May 10, 2024, 09:58:18 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 10, 2024, 08:12:15 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MUbiz
[May 10, 2024, 03:33:49 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by LloydsLegs
[May 10, 2024, 03:08:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Groce to Get IL Job  (Read 6555 times)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: Groce to Get IL Job
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2012, 03:20:54 PM »
Time in a bottle?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2012, 03:26:20 PM »
Did you intend Teal?  While I see you point there are some pretty important differences.
First Buzz was on staff for a year so everyone almost a year to "measure" him.
Second Buzz was a lot younger than this guy so what he had "or hadn't" accomplished has to be measured by age.
Third Buzz was the current players choice.  In the back of their mind MU had to figure that if they kept the Amigos happy they had a NCAA appearence and likely even sweet 16 almost in the bag.
Ill gets none of that.  Big Risk. couldn't happen to a nicer school!

OK, but what percentage of MU alums/fans were thrilled with the choice of Buzz? That's a rhetorical question. I already know the answer because we had a thread on it a couple months ago -- and the answer was "not many."

Tom Kelly was the Twins' third choice as manager. Two World Series.

Yankee fans HATED the hiring of Joe Torre, who had been a flop everywhere he had managed (including the Mets across town).

Duke hired a nobody from Army who proceeded to have three horrendous seasons and probably would have been fired in today's knee-jerk-judgment environment before he ever had the chance to become Coach K.

Many Ohio State fans responded "Thad Who?"

Al McGuire was hardly a coaching sensation coming out of Belmont Abbey -- where he was 7-21 and 6-18 his last two seasons before coming to Marquette.

The Bulls hired a former stoner who had never been a head coach at higher than the CBA level. Phil Jackson turned out OK.

Shall I go on?

Groce might be a great hire -- just as Buzz and others on this list were. Or he might be a disaster -- just as Dukiet was. Or he might be something in between -- kind of like Weber.

Judging now -- especially those who are making their judgments with such certainty -- is premature at best, idiotic at worst.

Oh, and I'm not now nor have I ever been an Illinois fan.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2012, 02:39:43 PM »
The local rag weighs in on the diversity aspect.  Comments at the end of the story show some disagreement with the author, Rick Morrissey.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/morrissey/11566810-452/morrissey-illinois-fumbles-chance-to-hire-its-first-black-coach.html

"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2012, 04:28:01 PM »
it's like saying michael jordan got cut in high school...therefore just because you get cut in high school doesn't mean you won't be the next mj....

if you have a better way to evaluate than past achievements let us in on the secret...  obviously there are surprises but looking at the way IL has handled coaching searches and their results along with groce's results wouldn't thrill me.  i think the purpose of a message board is to make premature judgements....

OK, but what percentage of MU alums/fans were thrilled with the choice of Buzz? That's a rhetorical question. I already know the answer because we had a thread on it a couple months ago -- and the answer was "not many."

Tom Kelly was the Twins' third choice as manager. Two World Series.

Yankee fans HATED the hiring of Joe Torre, who had been a flop everywhere he had managed (including the Mets across town).

Duke hired a nobody from Army who proceeded to have three horrendous seasons and probably would have been fired in today's knee-jerk-judgment environment before he ever had the chance to become Coach K.

Many Ohio State fans responded "Thad Who?"

Al McGuire was hardly a coaching sensation coming out of Belmont Abbey -- where he was 7-21 and 6-18 his last two seasons before coming to Marquette.

The Bulls hired a former stoner who had never been a head coach at higher than the CBA level. Phil Jackson turned out OK.

Shall I go on?

Groce might be a great hire -- just as Buzz and others on this list were. Or he might be a disaster -- just as Dukiet was. Or he might be something in between -- kind of like Weber.

Judging now -- especially those who are making their judgments with such certainty -- is premature at best, idiotic at worst.

Oh, and I'm not now nor have I ever been an Illinois fan.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2012, 09:41:56 PM »
it's like saying michael jordan got cut in high school...therefore just because you get cut in high school doesn't mean you won't be the next mj....

if you have a better way to evaluate than past achievements let us in on the secret...  obviously there are surprises but looking at the way IL has handled coaching searches and their results along with groce's results wouldn't thrill me.  i think the purpose of a message board is to make premature judgements....

Nothing like that at all. Jordan was an extreme, an exception. Schools and pro teams hire coaches/managers with little experience all the time, including Marquette with Buzz.

And Groce does have a successful past. Before he became a head coach, he was a top assistant at major programs and was considered a very good recruiter.

Oh, and one thing I've enjoyed reading is: "If Akron makes one more shot, nobody's talking about Groce today." OK, and if Christian Laettner doesn't make that shot 20 years ago, nobody is talking about that remarkable play still to this day.

But Laettner did make that shot. And Akron didn't make one more shot, Ohio won that game and made the NCAAs and then reached the Sweet 16, where it gave North Carolina a hell of a run for its money.

Again, I have no horse in this race. I just can't believe how quickly and cavalierly people are dismissing Groce, as if it automatically is a horrible hire.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2012, 02:19:16 PM »
Accepted the IL job today. 

Does it help/hurt us in recruiting Chicago?
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2012, 02:28:10 PM »

He's only interested in kids that want to get degrees apparently, so no.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2012, 02:33:50 PM »

The AAU coaches that were interviewed in The Trib didn't like the hire and claimed to have never heard of him (even though DJ Cooper is a Chicago kid who played for Groce at Ohio). Even though most of the Chicago AAU coaches are a joke, their dislike of the hire will likely help MU's Chicago recruiting, at least in the short-run.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2012, 02:11:50 PM »
The local rag weighs in on the diversity aspect.  Comments at the end of the story show some disagreement with the author, Rick Morrissey.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/morrissey/11566810-452/morrissey-illinois-fumbles-chance-to-hire-its-first-black-coach.html

Sounds just like Eugene Kane, pissing and moaning and whining about how unfair it is without offering any suggestions. Instead of putting the names of Howard and Benford out there, he pretty much just says "why not hire a black guy?". Never mind that after Smart, they also tried to woo Anthony Grant and Lorenzo Romar. It wasn't for lack of effort, but their top 5 candidates all said no. And when you look at who was on their list, they clearly wanted someone with head coaching experience. I don't think it's a home-run hire by any means, and more than anything probably says something about the true state of the Illini program (simply not that desirable) but it's not like they all put on their coneheads and said "let's go get a whitey to tell all our black athletes what to do!".

Simply pathetic, ignorant, reverse-racism journalism.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.