collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Would swearing at work help you advance your career?  (Read 3655 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
Would swearing at work help you advance your career?
« on: August 03, 2016, 11:47:00 AM »

tower912

• All American
Re: Would swearing at work help you advance your career?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 12:16:15 PM »
My career?   Please.     We just try to not cut loose a string of obscenities in front of civilians.    In the privacy of the fire station or fire engine?    Bwaaa-ha-ha.    It is an art form. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 01:08:42 PM »
The author said it a couple of times.....it's all about context and intent.  I'm a big fan of swearing and user of more than colorful language.  But in front of the board of directors, at an employee in a derogatory way, at my kids, at the ball game where kids are around, in a sexist/racist manner etc.?  nope.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 01:25:56 PM »
I agree with this analysis.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 04:13:27 PM »
But in front of the board of directors

You haven't spent enough time around BoDs :p

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 09:35:28 PM »
You haven't spent enough time around BoDs :p
I was only counting my Sprint days where individually prepping the board for my portion was 75% massive cursing and 25% "why aren't you showing enough reverence in my presence?".  The latter being the older more established group and therefore the VERY uptight board meetings (also, some of those meetings happened in 2004/05)

In the privately held companies there was always the sound of rocks clinking on glasses and profanity strings that probably still circle the globe.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 09:04:47 AM »
I taught at a Catholic high School for 10 years, but now sell cars.

The amount of times co-workers say "unnatural carnal knowledge" has increased about 30,000% since switching jobs.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 09:15:01 AM »
In the Coaching ranks at all levels, swearing certainly has not HURT their careers.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 01:10:13 PM »
When I worked around V.P. Humphrey and Pres. Johnson all I heard were "f" bombs. 

Now the beltway is like church, white shirts, fancy suits, and lots of expensive leather and jewelry.

The pentagon is like an upper class mall.   One half has no idea how the other half lives.  Even their subway is quiet and has rubber wheels.

Lots of hushed tones inside the beltway these days, probably no swearing except at the depositions. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 10:00:03 PM »
Swearing at effen work ended my effen career!

(Just kidding, but it sounded good.)
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2016, 11:14:44 PM »
My Father (MU 1955) used to say that you are known by how you use the language. Using colloquialisms, poor syntax or profanities and obscenities is damaging to you, he would tell me, because it exposes your weaknesses. It shows you are not a complete thinker and you are incapable of putting a proper sentence together.

And he was an engineer!

His lesson is well-taken. In a highly competitive world, one does not surrender the edge he or she has on the altar of bad language. Period.

Besides, in today's PC world with nasty millennials running around, you never know when you might utter a trigger word requiring your company to establish a safe space. Worse yet, you might be sentenced to sensitivity class!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2016, 08:09:01 AM »
In the Coaching ranks at all levels, swearing certainly has not HURT their careers.

Lee Elia disagrees with this analysis.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2016, 10:33:06 AM »

Wow! Not a Cub fan, but wow!

Youtube rated NC17 for language.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv23pqH9iG0
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 10:36:19 AM by muwarrior69 »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2016, 11:06:59 AM »
Received a reminder today that all of cops have body cameras, so to mind your language and gallows humor on scene.  Anything you say in front of a cop can be FOIA'd.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2016, 12:15:21 PM »
I'm fluent in colloquial intercourse, myself, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2016, 12:35:13 PM »

Another legendary swearer in sports....Jerry Burns. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2016, 01:23:36 PM »
Seems to have gotten Fareed Zakaria plenty of attention the past couple of days....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2016, 02:46:04 PM »
Another legendary swearer in sports....Jerry Burns.

Jerry Burns is one of my all-time favorite sports characters. I happened to like the guy because he was "genuine." Not a fake or pretentious bone in his 130-pound, shriveled-up body. And he was effen hilarious. Somewhere in my files, I think I still have a couple of his rants that I transcribed.

I remember one press conference in which Bob Sansavere (then of the Star Tribune) said something like: "On the broadcast of yesterday's game, Hank Stram (ex-coach, then a TV analyst) said you guys lack killer instinct."

Burns' response: "Bleep Hank Stram. And bleep my next-door neighbor, too; he has all the effen answers!"

A classic.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2016, 05:28:14 PM »
Jerry Burns is one of my all-time favorite sports characters. I happened to like the guy because he was "genuine." Not a fake or pretentious bone in his 130-pound, shriveled-up body. And he was effen hilarious. Somewhere in my files, I think I still have a couple of his rants that I transcribed.

I remember one press conference in which Bob Sansavere (then of the Star Tribune) said something like: "On the broadcast of yesterday's game, Hank Stram (ex-coach, then a TV analyst) said you guys lack killer instinct."

Burns' response: "Bleep Hank Stram. And bleep my next-door neighbor, too; he has all the effen answers!"

A classic.

Funny story about Jerry.  I was on the beach in Forida with my son, who was in junior high, and also played football.  Jerry and his wife walked by and I asked Jerry if I could introduce him to my son.  Jerry was very willing.  When I introduced Jerry to my son as the former coach of the Vikings (and my son's favorite team), my son looked at Jerry and said..."Oh".  Jerry said goodbye, and I the thanked him, a little bit embarresed by my sons apathy.  Best part of it was the look that Jerry's wife was giving him, which clearly said "not such a big shot after all, are ya Jerry".  Priceless.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2016, 11:30:44 PM »
Funny story about Jerry.  I was on the beach in Forida with my son, who was in junior high, and also played football.  Jerry and his wife walked by and I asked Jerry if I could introduce him to my son.  Jerry was very willing.  When I introduced Jerry to my son as the former coach of the Vikings (and my son's favorite team), my son looked at Jerry and said..."Oh".  Jerry said goodbye, and I the thanked him, a little bit embarresed by my sons apathy.  Best part of it was the look that Jerry's wife was giving him, which clearly said "not such a big shot after all, are ya Jerry".  Priceless.

Great story.

And one of the cool things about Burns is that he wasn't a big shot ... even when he was.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2016, 04:47:45 PM »
Not usually a good idea to interupt an extraction or root canal with a loud or hushed "F" bomb. even the look on your face can say it as well- not usually a good way to get referrals   Kinda like hearing the word "oooops" Ayn'A?
don't...don't don't don't don't

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2016, 08:54:58 PM »
Not usually a good idea to interupt an extraction or root canal with a loud or hushed "F" bomb. even the look on your face can say it as well- not usually a good way to get referrals   Kinda like hearing the word "oooops" Ayn'A?

I was having a surgery on my chest that I was still awake for. One of the techs had my face covered with the oxygen in my nose so obviously I wasn't seeing what was going on. The doctor did what he had to do and told me that he was all done and one of the assistants would stitch me up and everything would be done. They were using dissolveable stitches under the skin layer and then essentially super glue to seal up the skin. While my face was still covered I could feel them doing their work (just the tugging and pulling, obviously not the cutting or stitching pain) and I heard the guy go "sh!t!" That wasn't the most encouraging thing to hear knowing they were stitching up my chest.

You're a dentist too? Between you and 4Never we got some weird dudes working in people's mouths, ai'na?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2016, 08:58:36 PM »

A classic.

Former Lombardi assistant. 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2016, 05:34:57 AM »
I was having a surgery on my chest that I was still awake for. One of the techs had my face covered with the oxygen in my nose so obviously I wasn't seeing what was going on. The doctor did what he had to do and told me that he was all done and one of the assistants would stitch me up and everything would be done. They were using dissolveable stitches under the skin layer and then essentially super glue to seal up the skin. While my face was still covered I could feel them doing their work (just the tugging and pulling, obviously not the cutting or stitching pain) and I heard the guy go "sh!t!" That wasn't the most encouraging thing to hear knowing they were stitching up my chest.

You're a dentist too? Between you and 4Never we got some weird dudes working in people's mouths, ai'na?

I'm tellin ya, us dentists are some wicked out dudes...have to be when you're working on the opposite side of the "tail-end" and sometimes hard to tell the difference-ayn'a?
don't...don't don't don't don't