collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Worst call of my lifetime  (Read 13041 times)

nyg

• All American
Re: Worst call of my lifetime
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2010, 04:04:10 PM »

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2010, 04:08:46 PM »
No, I understood your point completely.  My point is that the examples you threw out are not similar situations.  If it happened in the third inning, you cannot overturn the call because the entire dynamic of the game changes at that point.  Every action has a random consequence.  There's no way to predict what happens after that.

But this was supposed to be the last play of the game.  If the call was made correctly, the game is over.  There is no chance for anything subsequent to change.  In this case, you can change the call and right a wrong with confidence.  You can't do that when a call is blown in the middle of a game.

Overturn the call -- nothing like this has ever happened before so you're not going against precedent.  And start allowing replay on the very last play of a game -- nothing like this will ever happen again.  If there's nothing inside Pandora's box, who cares whether it's open or not?

Hypothetical: This same play and same call are made but, instead of ruining a perfect game, it allows the tying run to score in Game 7 of the World Series. Should the commish go back and change the call the next day?

Either way, Bud made the right decision. Galarraga, himself, said it best when he said that he doesn't care if it's in the history books or not, he knows he threw a perfect game and that's all that matters. Didn't know much, if anything, about him before last night, but he has proven to be a class act throughout this entire ordeal. I hope he has a long and successful career.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2010, 06:13:00 PM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Armando-Galarraga-receives-a-Corvette-consolatio?urn=mlb,245508

Class act by General Motors or whoever arranged this. 

You sure?  It's a GM product, a lot of people might argue that they should have given him a nice gift.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2010, 06:15:04 PM »
You sure?  It's a GM product, a lot of people might argue that they should have given him a nice gift.

So, really this is a present from all tax paying Americans?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Bud Light got one right. Alyssa Milano agrees
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2010, 06:19:38 PM »
Bud Light got one right, good for him.

Alyssa Milano agrees.  "Personally, I agree with Selig on this one. Part of the game (as it is played now) is human error."

I guess since Milano has banged out more hits with MLB players than just about any broad, she's an expert in this area.

http://deadspin.com/sports/cultural-oddsmaker/whos-the-next-mlb-player-to-bang-alyssa-milano-280709.php

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Bud Light got one right. Alyssa Milano agrees
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2010, 06:23:43 PM »
Bud Light got one right, good for him.

Alyssa Milano agrees.  "Personally, I agree with Selig on this one. Part of the game (as it is played now) is human error."

I guess since Milano has banged out more hits with MLB players than just about any broad, she's an expert in this area.

Yes, but we're talkin' a perfect game here.

http://deadspin.com/sports/cultural-oddsmaker/whos-the-next-mlb-player-to-bang-alyssa-milano-280709.php

"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2010, 05:49:49 AM »
I'll tell you what should be overturned...our lame nickname! It's remains pathetic and embarrassing!

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2010, 08:13:10 AM »
I'll tell you what should be overturned...our lame nickname! It's remains pathetic and embarrassing!

And just when I was impressed that this topic had stayed on track for 3 full pages.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2010, 08:29:28 AM »

As long as we're veering off topic, I'd like to see the gut-punch 3s by Reece Gaines, Francisco Garcia and Jerry Smith overturned.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2010, 08:59:10 AM »
Just curious...if there was replay and if Detroit already had used their allotted challenge(s), then this result would stand?  Or would there be umpire challenges too?  Or could the Commish overturn in the next day?  Or would Cleveland have just gone ahead and used one of its challenges to the benefit of Galarraga?

That's the tricky thing about this.  While I'm obviously not a person to talk the specifics about how it would work, I find it hard to believe that there are enough questionable calls in a game (assuming balls and strikes will still be 100% Umpire run) to have this be an issue.  When you go to a baseball game, how many times do you say "man, I really wish they could go back and review that!"? Once every other game? Less frequently than that?

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2010, 12:30:58 PM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Armando-Galarraga-receives-a-Corvette-consolatio?urn=mlb,245508

Class act by General Motors or whoever arranged this. 

i took it as GM jumping at the opportunity to look good. It was just a PR stunt, I think it had less to do with GM being classy, and more with them promoting their name.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2010, 12:58:01 PM »
i took it as GM jumping at the opportunity to look good. It was just a PR stunt, I think it had less to do with GM being classy, and more with them promoting their name.

That's obvious.  Smart PR team.  Armando gets some new wheels, and GM looks like a nice guy.  Win Win.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2010, 06:56:05 PM »

And just when I was impressed that this topic had stayed on track for 3 full pages.

Indeed. Hey, what are people's thoughts on the legacy of Tom Crean as HC of Marquette University BB?

(Please God, no one answer that.)

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2010, 07:17:49 PM »
Interesting, I was wondering if it is too quick to compare Buzz's performance against that legacy

feedback