* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jay Bee
[May 16, 2024, 04:26:22 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2023-2024 Season Grades  (Read 3907 times)

1SE

• All American
2023-2024 Season Grades
« on: March 30, 2024, 04:59:42 AM »
Was hoping to do this in April, but here we are. Like always, the grades are on the body of work, but the final exam is heavily weighted. Anyway... here we go

Starters

Oso Ighodaro: B-*

Played some really brilliant basketball that had folks talking about lottery pick (despite no 3 ball) but completely disappeared in the NCAAT. Just baffling. I can't count the number of times I commented on him walking up the court in the tourney. A "*" if there was an injury or some personal circumstances, but otherwise Oso didn't show up when it mattered, period.

Kam Jones: A-

Krafty Kam is always an absolute bucket, but this year also really stepped up his D and distributing. A huge part of why we didn't suffer a complete breakdown when TK was out. But, still, a streaky shooter and the cannon went cold when we needed him the most. Only 1 person picked in the pre-season poll that he'd be NBA bound. Hopefully we can match whatever bag he is offered him and we get to see one more season of killer Kam. We'll need him.

TKO: A+

A stud. I thought he was almost going to be able to play 1 on 5 and get us to the EE. A true warrior the likes of which we won't see again for quite a while. Heartbroken for him, more than anyone, that we went out like we did. Thanks for everything Tyler.

Stevie: A

All this from last year Glue guy extreme - I think the most passion of anyone on the team. I don't know if I saw bad body language from him once this season. Only knock is a slight tendency to try and create when he's the clear 5th offensive option. Usually he saved that for when nothing else was going on, but could press a bit at times. Love having him on the roster. but actually added a little more O edge to his game this year. Could easily be an A+ but I don't want to get accused of grade inflation. That said, him missing that first wide open three from the corner was a tone-setter. Don't hold it against him, but man, what might of been if that had dropped.

Jop Wagon: B-

Dr. Jop Wagon and Mr. Hide. I haven't gone back and combed the splits, but "Good Jop/Bad Jop" must have aligned very closely with our Ws and Ls. Maddening that he didn't build on last year to develop some consistency. Amazing that a high-level, D1 player, looks like he has the handle of a 5th grader every time he tries to take it into the lane. D was elevated and at times he grabbed some real man rebounds - but he just needs to be a positive presence EVERY game. NCST speaks for itself. Woof.

Bench Rotation

Ben Gold: B

Like Jop, flashes of what could be. At his best, a stretch that can also put it on the floor. Defense also improved. But that pancake shot is never going to be consistent. Also, its unclear that he can be the physical presence he'd need to be to play the 5 game-in and game-out. I'd also love to see the splits on the twin-towers line up, but I never felt like it produced amazing stretches of basketball. Ultimately, not sure if he can be more than a role player.

Chase: B

Another guy who didn't take the step up that he needed, or at least, did so very inconsistently. I thought Colorado was his best game of the year, and we probably didn't make the S16 without him. But also went through some maddeningly inept stretches, particularly on the offensive end. The flashes of Association potential remain and let's hope he can step up in the starter's role and take a major leap forward. Making the NCAAT in 2025 depends on it.

Sean Jones: Inc.

What a motor. Loved his energy but also not always clear he was as net positive when his minutes meant TK was off the floor. All the best for a full recovery and I hope we get another chance to see him on the floor in a MU uniform.

The Freshmen: B+

Are freshmen. But by and large did what Shaka asked them to do. Made major contributions to keeping the boat afloat during the various injuries. I am cautiously optimistic, but they both need to take the steps forward that we hoped Jop and Chase and Ben would but didn't. Can't believe they - especially Zaide - didn't see the floor against NCST - how could he possibly have played worse than 1st half Jop.

Shaka: B

Again, the hardest for last. Unlike last year, where his pre-NCAAT work shattered expectations, this year we turned in about what we thought, although a bit more credit because we did deal with the injury bug. Being a top-10 team for most of the year, earning a second straight 2 seed, winning some major non-con games, good Kenpom metrics, etc. are all incredibly laudable achievements. Love the culture he's built. Love his genuineness.

But....

Despite the love-fest by so many on this board, this is three years in a row where our season is ending with an incredibly bad taste in the mouth. Yes, it's great that we took a step forward and made the S16, but that should be almost automatic for a 2 seed - I don't think there are any particular additional accolades for making the S16 if you've already received kudos for getting the 2 seed. Yes the guys shot terrible, but that's not an exogenous event. Prepping guys so they are calm and ready to perform at their peak is the coach's job. Other than Tyler, and maybe Stevie, our guys were not ready to play against NCST. That's on Shaka. Just like they weren't ready for MSU. Just like they weren't ready for UNC. Shaka has met or exceeded expectations in all aspects of the program expect in the Tournament. There was a great chance this year to make the EE and beyond, but we didn't get it done. The good news is, Shaka has shown us that what he's built can put us in position in March, year in and year out. But he has to deliver. Once again, a lot of what I wrote last year remains true - but how many years in a row can we write this?

Can't avoid the elephant in the room. Last night was the final exam and Shaka failed. The stretch. 17:25 to 7:47. 3 points. 12-3 MSU "run" in a 60 point game. Yes we missed some open looks but ultimately the totality of it falls on the boss. No time outs left in his pocket. No Gold freshmen. No great creativity to get something going on the offensive end. I think that stretch single-handedly moves him from an "A" to a "B+" on the season. Especially coming after a start where we came out looking like we had no idea what we are doing. The moment might have been a bit big for the guys, but that's where Shaka needs to prep them - it shouldn't have been too big for him.

I'm 100% Yahka, but let's remember he was encouraged to leave Texas because of his NCAA record. At the end of the day, wins in the tournament are the most important metric of coaching success. Shaka will get us there most every year, and he has a VERY long leash for NCAA success, but ultimately his tenure at MU will be defined by the presence or absence of deep runs in March and April. This season was a golden opportunity for one of those and it slipped through our fingers. Until we get over that hump he still has something to prove.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

DoctorV

• All American
Re: 2023-2024 Season Grades
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2024, 09:48:48 AM »
Great stuff 1SE.

Really enjoyed reading it.

If that’s the quality you’re going to bring, you should post more.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2024, 08:19:42 PM »
Was hoping to do this in April, but here we are. Like always, the grades are on the body of work, but the final exam is heavily weighted. Anyway... here we go

Starters

Oso Ighodaro: B-*

Played some really brilliant basketball that had folks talking about lottery pick (despite no 3 ball) but completely disappeared in the NCAAT. Just baffling. I can't count the number of times I commented on him walking up the court in the tourney. A "*" if there was an injury or some personal circumstances, but otherwise Oso didn't show up when it mattered, period.

Kam Jones: A-

Krafty Kam is always an absolute bucket, but this year also really stepped up his D and distributing. A huge part of why we didn't suffer a complete breakdown when TK was out. But, still, a streaky shooter and the cannon went cold when we needed him the most. Only 1 person picked in the pre-season poll that he'd be NBA bound. Hopefully we can match whatever bag he is offered him and we get to see one more season of killer Kam. We'll need him.

TKO: A+

A stud. I thought he was almost going to be able to play 1 on 5 and get us to the EE. A true warrior the likes of which we won't see again for quite a while. Heartbroken for him, more than anyone, that we went out like we did. Thanks for everything Tyler.

Stevie: A

All this from last year Glue guy extreme - I think the most passion of anyone on the team. I don't know if I saw bad body language from him once this season. Only knock is a slight tendency to try and create when he's the clear 5th offensive option. Usually he saved that for when nothing else was going on, but could press a bit at times. Love having him on the roster. but actually added a little more O edge to his game this year. Could easily be an A+ but I don't want to get accused of grade inflation. That said, him missing that first wide open three from the corner was a tone-setter. Don't hold it against him, but man, what might of been if that had dropped.

Jop Wagon: B-

Dr. Jop Wagon and Mr. Hide. I haven't gone back and combed the splits, but "Good Jop/Bad Jop" must have aligned very closely with our Ws and Ls. Maddening that he didn't build on last year to develop some consistency. Amazing that a high-level, D1 player, looks like he has the handle of a 5th grader every time he tries to take it into the lane. D was elevated and at times he grabbed some real man rebounds - but he just needs to be a positive presence EVERY game. NCST speaks for itself. Woof.

Bench Rotation

Ben Gold: B

Like Jop, flashes of what could be. At his best, a stretch that can also put it on the floor. Defense also improved. But that pancake shot is never going to be consistent. Also, its unclear that he can be the physical presence he'd need to be to play the 5 game-in and game-out. I'd also love to see the splits on the twin-towers line up, but I never felt like it produced amazing stretches of basketball. Ultimately, not sure if he can be more than a role player.

Chase: B

Another guy who didn't take the step up that he needed, or at least, did so very inconsistently. I thought Colorado was his best game of the year, and we probably didn't make the S16 without him. But also went through some maddeningly inept stretches, particularly on the offensive end. The flashes of Association potential remain and let's hope he can step up in the starter's role and take a major leap forward. Making the NCAAT in 2025 depends on it.

Sean Jones: Inc.

What a motor. Loved his energy but also not always clear he was as net positive when his minutes meant TK was off the floor. All the best for a full recovery and I hope we get another chance to see him on the floor in a MU uniform.

The Freshmen: B+

Are freshmen. But by and large did what Shaka asked them to do. Made major contributions to keeping the boat afloat during the various injuries. I am cautiously optimistic, but they both need to take the steps forward that we hoped Jop and Chase and Ben would but didn't. Can't believe they - especially Zaide - didn't see the floor against NCST - how could he possibly have played worse than 1st half Jop.

Shaka: B

Again, the hardest for last. Unlike last year, where his pre-NCAAT work shattered expectations, this year we turned in about what we thought, although a bit more credit because we did deal with the injury bug. Being a top-10 team for most of the year, earning a second straight 2 seed, winning some major non-con games, good Kenpom metrics, etc. are all incredibly laudable achievements. Love the culture he's built. Love his genuineness.

But....

Despite the love-fest by so many on this board, this is three years in a row where our season is ending with an incredibly bad taste in the mouth. Yes, it's great that we took a step forward and made the S16, but that should be almost automatic for a 2 seed - I don't think there are any particular additional accolades for making the S16 if you've already received kudos for getting the 2 seed. Yes the guys shot terrible, but that's not an exogenous event. Prepping guys so they are calm and ready to perform at their peak is the coach's job. Other than Tyler, and maybe Stevie, our guys were not ready to play against NCST. That's on Shaka. Just like they weren't ready for MSU. Just like they weren't ready for UNC. Shaka has met or exceeded expectations in all aspects of the program expect in the Tournament. There was a great chance this year to make the EE and beyond, but we didn't get it done. The good news is, Shaka has shown us that what he's built can put us in position in March, year in and year out. But he has to deliver. Once again, a lot of what I wrote last year remains true - but how many years in a row can we write this?

Can't avoid the elephant in the room. Last night was the final exam and Shaka failed. The stretch. 17:25 to 7:47. 3 points. 12-3 MSU "run" in a 60 point game. Yes we missed some open looks but ultimately the totality of it falls on the boss. No time outs left in his pocket. No Gold freshmen. No great creativity to get something going on the offensive end. I think that stretch single-handedly moves him from an "A" to a "B+" on the season. Especially coming after a start where we came out looking like we had no idea what we are doing. The moment might have been a bit big for the guys, but that's where Shaka needs to prep them - it shouldn't have been too big for him.

I'm 100% Yahka, but let's remember he was encouraged to leave Texas because of his NCAA record. At the end of the day, wins in the tournament are the most important metric of coaching success. Shaka will get us there most every year, and he has a VERY long leash for NCAA success, but ultimately his tenure at MU will be defined by the presence or absence of deep runs in March and April. This season was a golden opportunity for one of those and it slipped through our fingers. Until we get over that hump he still has something to prove.

You are way off.
Oso C
Jop C
GooollllldBrick C
Stevie B+

I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Zog from Margo

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2024, 08:29:11 PM »
Texas fired Rick Barnes too. Is he a good coach?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2024, 08:32:26 PM »
Texas fired Rick Barnes too. Is he a good coach?

No
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Don_Kojis

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2024, 09:12:47 PM »
Oso A- during the regular season.   C- in tourney
Jolpin C- Looked lost. 
Stevie C+  A- Def
Gold C+
Freshmen C-

Zog from Margo

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2024, 10:30:05 PM »
No

Thanks for the clarification. That seemed like the logical conclusion.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2024, 10:39:48 PM »
No way the freshmen deserve a B.

franklinjerry

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2024, 11:06:28 PM »
The Freshman B+? Al played 37 more minutes than Jonah Lucas. Zac and Tre combined for 44 baskets, slightly more than 1 per game. I'm as hopeful for a second year jump as everyone else on the board but if their play was as good as your grade, there would be far less portal begging going on.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2024, 06:46:41 AM »
A for everything.
Conference standing - 2nd
Big East Tournament - 2nd
Sweet Sixteen
Top Ten ranking for 95% of season.
Go Marquette and reload!
F-em!

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2024, 07:53:47 AM »
A for everything.
Conference standing - 2nd
Big East Tournament - 2nd
Sweet Sixteen
Top Ten ranking for 95% of season.
Go Marquette and reload!
F-em!
The reloading better start now. And should include Oso and Kolek coming back. Let's face it. MU cannot compete with elite teams because their roster is not elite. Only player that is elite is Kolek because he has elite court vision and distribution skills. Kam is a notch below that. If Kolek is gone, then this team will struggle next year.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2024, 07:59:09 AM »
Kolek for sure is gone. Oso very likely as well. Just get used to it now.

And they will be a tournament team next year regardless.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2024, 08:02:21 AM »
Kolek for sure is gone. Oso very likely as well. Just get used to it now.

And they will be a tournament team next year regardless.
Really? You don't know they will be a tourney team. Oh,I forgot, since you say so it will happen.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2024, 08:03:31 AM »
I actually thought Shaka had a much better year than last season. Fought through a series of major injuries. Maintained a top offense while moving the defense into a Top 20. 2nd in Hawaii and BE/BET. Sweet 16 despite injuries in the year end. He was much improved and was outstanding in game situationals (chessmaster in the BET, NCAAT). A+

While my critiques of his philosophy are still there (and why we again bowed out), what a tremendous person and leader for our program. One losing game doesn't define him after this successful journey so far putting together this team.

As for the next level and how this transition unfolds, it will be an interesting next few months.

Zog from Margo

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2024, 08:04:33 AM »
The reloading better start now. And should include Oso and Kolek coming back. Let's face it. MU cannot compete with elite teams because their roster is not elite. Only player that is elite is Kolek because he has elite court vision and distribution skills. Kam is a notch below that. If Kolek is gone, then this team will struggle next year.

I believe UConn will lose Newton, Spencer, and Diarra (seniors) and likely will lose Castle and Clingan (lottery picks). Is the remaining roster elite? MU isn’t the only team losing players. MU will be fine, particularly if Kam returns.

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2024, 08:07:58 AM »
Really? You don't know they will be a tourney team. Oh,I forgot, since you say so it will happen.

Uh…. You made a prediction they would “struggle.” I made a prediction they would be a tourney team. As with all predictions, no one actually knows anything until it happens.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

warriors141

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2024, 08:10:01 AM »

I believe UConn will lose Newton, Spencer, and Diarra (seniors) and likely will lose Castle and Clingan (lottery picks). Is the remaining roster elite? MU isn’t the only team losing players. MU will be fine, particularly if Kam returns.

They are losing a lot........but it is a little more satisfying going into a potential rebuild when your talented, veteran team accomplished the mission (final 4, champ game) in march.......

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2024, 08:13:04 AM »
Uh…. You made a prediction they would “struggle.” I made a prediction they would be a tourney team. As with all predictions, no one actually knows anything until it happens.
You are right there. But I feel very confident this team will struggle without Kolek next year. Hope they make the tourney but unless Shaka lands some studs from portal, they are likely one and done

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2024, 08:13:57 AM »
You are right there. But I feel very confident this team will struggle without Kolek next year. Hope they make the tourney but unless Shaka lands some studs from portal, they are likely one and done

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=66065.0

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2024, 08:18:47 AM »
I actually thought Shaka had a much better year than last season. Fought through a series of major injuries. Maintained a top offense while moving the defense into a Top 20. 2nd in Hawaii and BE/BET. Sweet 16 despite injuries in the year end. He was much improved and was outstanding in game situationals (chessmaster in the BET, NCAAT). A+

While my critiques of his philosophy are still there (and why we again bowed out), what a tremendous person and leader for our program. One losing game doesn't define him after this successful journey so far putting together this team.

As for the next level and how this transition unfolds, it will be an interesting next few months.

Yep.  Shaka had a great year and so did the team.  Something to build off for sure.  As disappointing as how the last loss of the season happened the rest of the season was an A.  I have no doubt his tenure will bring us to the promised land.  Hope he is here for the next ten years.  Have a good summer!

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2024, 08:22:57 AM »
They are losing a lot........but it is a little more satisfying going into a potential rebuild when your talented, veteran team accomplished the mission (final 4, champ game) in march.......
UConn will reload. I like Shaka but Hurley is a better coach with a punch able face. He definitely enhances the BEast.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2024, 08:26:01 AM »
UConn will reload. I like Shaka but Hurley is a better coach with a punch able face. He definitely enhances the BEast.

Chatted with a Nova alum on the ski lift yesterday.  Hurley gets a lot of respect from BE fans, and rightfully so.

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2024, 08:32:09 AM »

IMO they will struggle at times but come around at the end.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2024, 08:51:17 AM »
Oso: D+, better learn Chinese, pal

TyKo: C, would be higher but is soft for sitting out the Big East tourney

Kam: C-, got tired running the point, hit a treadmill, fatty

Stevie: D, D as in Dung

Gold: F, go back to Australia brick

Jolp: F, wish we had Leon Bond instead

Chase: C-, would be lower but I’m an easy grader

Sean: F, completely disappeared the second half of the season

Zaire: F, bust

Tre: F, bust

Al:F, bust

Edit: Someone mentioned I forgot Ramsey.  He gets an A despite being invisible

Shaka: D-, would be lower but made the Sweet 16.  Not using the portal to bring in an aircraft carrier and a lights out shooter is one of the greatest failures in Marquette basketball history.  Not sure he’s the guy.  His recruits stink and no one seems to get better under him.  Dark times await
« Last Edit: March 31, 2024, 09:06:11 AM by Uncle Rico »

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2024, 08:56:34 AM »
Uncle Rico
Grade A+ Satire

Really captured the angst of this board.

feedback