[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big 3 underachieved?  (Read 11220 times)

Rocco

• Starter
Big 3 underachieved?
« on: February 22, 2010, 06:52:14 PM »
Based on the way this years team is playing I believe the big 3 underachieved.  This years team is far less talented, yet their grit and determination have them in almost the same position as last year.  I realize the Big East isn't as good this year, but I think this year is proving that the Big 3 were overrated and probably underachievers.  I love James, McNeal, and Matthews, but they were a disappointment.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Big 3 underachieved?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 06:55:58 PM »
What is your criteria for achievement?  Let's start there.

Rocco

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 06:59:12 PM »
Eye test, and tournament results.  I just look at the fact that Acker, Cubillan, and DJO are in the place of James, McNeal and Matthews and the results are not that different.  I realize Butler and Lazar are better, but we don't have a blue collar guy like Burke this year.  To me last years team was far superior from a talent aspect but this years team plays with more heart, grit and chemistry.  Obviously they have to make the tournament and win a game to equal last years results......only time will tell.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 07:04:25 PM »
Eye test, and tournament results.  I just look at the fact that Acker, Cubillan, and DJO are in the place of James, McNeal and Matthews and the results are not that different.  I realize Butler and Lazar are better, but we don't have a blue collar guy like Burke this year.  To me last years team was far superior from a talent aspect but this years team plays with more heart, grit and chemistry.  Obviously they have to make the tournament and win a game to equal last years results......only time will tell.

I've said this many times before, I think the NCAAs are a crap shoot and I put that into a separate category.  In other words, I don't put all my eggs into that basket.

I thought last year's team played with tremendous heart, was tough, good chemistry, etc.  I also think last year's team would destroy this year's team.

Considering what that class of Wes, Jerel and DJ did, I honestly don't think anyone can say they underachieved, not using the lens I use.

We were supposed to get destroyed in the Big East when we joined, but we didn't because those kids played their asses off and made sure we didn't.  Four straight 10 win Big East seasons, several pre-season tournament championships, four NCAA bids, a ton of top 25 victories.  They spent a good chunk of their career in the top 25 themselves.  Without their efforts in those first few years of the Big East, I shutter to think where we would be right now.

They proved we belonged in the best conference in America, and for that I'll always be grateful and applaud their achievements.  What they did in one game in March doesn't lead me to believe they underachieved.  Their entire body of work is what is important to me.

Rocco

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 07:08:01 PM »
I agree the NCAA's are a crap shoot.  Im talking about a straight comparison between the way they played last year compared to this year.  The results were not as drastically different last year as many would expect them to be.  The question is, is Buzz a better coach then he is given credit for?  Is this years team more talented than it gets credit for?  Is the Big 3 worse than they are given credit for?

mu89

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 07:09:40 PM »
i guess you can't really count last year's tournament run with James getting hurt and all. That really killed us and we went into the tournament playing somewhat inconsistent. We can only imagine what could have been if DJ didn't break his foot. I think we could've gone further than we did.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 07:10:53 PM »

Those under-achieving "big 3" players were on their way to possibly winning the Big East conference if our four-year PG didn't get hurt against UConn. Now that I think of it, did they even play a season in which none of the three suffered a long term injury?

Compared to the three leading the guard line this season who are fighting for an NCAA berth and have shown an ability to choke on big leads and not perform in winning time, I think both sides will feel they win this argument.

Rocco

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 07:15:05 PM »
You can always play the what if game.  Yes the big 3 had injuries that cost them.  I can play "what if" this year.  If we have a healthy Otule, Cadougan and Mbao all season and Maymon stays I have a hard time believing we arent in contention for the Big East title right now.......

Milkshakes

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 07:19:30 PM »
the Big 3 were overrated and probably underachievers.  I love James, McNeal, and Matthews, but they were a disappointment.

A disappointment?  Wow!  Really?  I can think of no aspect where the years with the 3 Amigos were a disappointment except possibly their tournament record.  I would say that the three of them had amazing chemistry.  They stood up and held the program together during a difficult coaching transition.  You are way underestimating the level of play in the Big East this year as opposed to the last two.  

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 07:22:18 PM »
You can always play the what if game.  Yes the big 3 had injuries that cost them.  I can play "what if" this year.  If we have a healthy Otule, Cadougan and Mbao all season and Maymon stays I have a hard time believing we arent in contention for the Big East title right now.......

You really think Otule, Mbao and Cadougan get us contending for a Big East title right now?

Rocco

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 07:22:34 PM »
I said last years Big East was better.  

Rocco

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 07:25:07 PM »
You really think Otule, Mbao and Cadougan get us contending for a Big East title right now?
And Maymon, yes.  Look at all the close losses.  I think depth could have won 2 of the games that we lost, absolutely.  I think we could realistically be 10-4 with those guys all year.  I would say 10-4 at this point would be contention.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 07:26:24 PM »
I actually think they overachieved. None of them were superior talents. The fact Matthews has made it in the NBA is a matter of circumstance and opportunity. McNeal was one of the worst decision makers I've seen at Marquette -- probably ever -- and James was just a horrendous shooter. These guys are near the top of our all time lists because they played the most games. The fact of the matter is, they had to play a ton as freshman because there was nobody else to play.

If you ask me, James is the most overrated player in Marquette history, with McNeal somewhere in the top 5. Matthews was solid and I'm not just saying that because he's continued his career. He was always the only one of the three that seemed to "get it."

I understand that they were decent guys and "good" players. But they were not great.

I also agree with Chicos. The NCAA is a crapshoot. You need look no further than our game against Holy Cross in 2003.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this year's team is more enjoyable to watch because they make a fraction of the boneheaded plays that last year's team did. What did we have, 4 turnovers against UCONN this year? McNeal would have that many in a half.

Rocco

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 07:30:35 PM »
Weren't all 3 of them rated higher than anyone who is contributing right now?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 07:32:13 PM »
And Maymon, yes.  Look at all the close losses.  I think depth could have won 2 of the games that we lost, absolutely.  I think we could realistically be 10-4 with those guys all year.  I would say 10-4 at this point would be contention.

Perhaps, but what you're missing is the inexperience....all those guys you mentioned are inexperienced.

The reason we are winning right now is because we don't make mistakes....credit that to the senior guards.  Under your plan, those kids don't play as much and instead we have a freshman at the point guard position (= more turnovers, more mistakes, etc). 

We're winning because we don't turn the ball over and we get good shots, especially from the perimeter, from guys that are really being forced to play.  I'm not sure this year we would gain by the addition via subtraction...no doubt JC, JM are better talented players, but I'll take the seniors most of the time.

Rocco

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 07:36:35 PM »
So you dont think depth is a flaw of this years team?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 07:42:41 PM »
Weren't all 3 of them rated higher than anyone who is contributing right now?

Yes, but you're looking at it in isolation which you can't do. How would those three do this year in THIS Big East?  They would do BETTER than this team.  You're not comparing apples to apples.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2010, 07:44:51 PM »
Let's just cut to the chase. Crean underachieved.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Rocco

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2010, 07:48:07 PM »
Ok, its not worth debating with you because you think all these "kids" are fantastic.  Never overrated and never underrated.  Nevermind

Rocco

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2010, 07:49:48 PM »
No one said that, don't start the Crean bashing, its pointless

Norm

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2010, 07:54:24 PM »
Rocco,

If you think a healthy Mbao and Otule would have us challenging for a BE title this year, I want what you're smoking. Those two guys have shown nothing to suggest they can contribute quality minutes.

Rocco

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2010, 08:00:51 PM »
It is the sum of Mbao, Otule, Cadougan and Maymon.  Please read all of the post not just pieces.  Thank you.

Mu2323

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2010, 08:07:34 PM »
Too say they underachieved is absolutely rediculous. The only thing they didnt do was go far in the ncaa tournament. If you take away robert jackson from the 03 team and add him to last years team there is no doubt in my mind they win it all.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2010, 08:46:33 PM »

You are unnatural carnal knowledgeing nuts if you truly believe this.

Besides that, how do you reconcile saying last year's team and this year's team are "almost in the same position" when there is a four-game difference in record after 14 games (12-2 v. 8-6) and one team was battling for the conference title (and lock for tourney) whereas the other team was battling not to choke big leads (and firmly on the bubble for tourney)?

Your marching powder must be some far out crap.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2010, 08:57:55 PM »
Too say they underachieved is absolutely rediculous. The only thing they didnt do was go far in the ncaa tournament. If you take away robert jackson from the 03 team and add him to last years team there is no doubt in my mind they win it all.

"Win it all?"  Are you serious?  Last year's North Carolina team may have been the best college basketball team of the last decade.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2010, 09:01:50 PM »
Mbao - If Otule is healthy would not see the court and possibly would be redshirted
Cadougan - Still a step slow wouldn't be able to guard quick pg's
Otule - Who knows what he would have done this year better, but we wouldn't be competing for a BE title
Maymon - Barely plays for a UT team that I feel is overrated and lacks depth similar to MU

The Big 3 did not underachieve I don't remember them being picked to go far in the tourney, nor do I remember
their being an adequate big man. Of course Rocco you can compare this years team to last years all you want
because both teams are all guards, Hayward, and Butler.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2010, 09:03:11 PM »
Mbao - If Otule is healthy would not see the court and possibly would be redshirted
Cadougan - Still a step slow wouldn't be able to guard quick pg's
Otule - Who knows what he would have done this year better, but we wouldn't be competing for a BE title
Maymon - Barely plays for a UT team that I feel is overrated and lacks depth similar to MU

Maymon not only barely plays...he *never* plays...because he's a transfer.

Mu2323

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2010, 09:03:51 PM »
Last years team had far more talent then the final four team minus a big inside presence. I dont think people understand how much robert jackson was the key to the success of the final four team

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2010, 09:07:08 PM »
So you dont think depth is a flaw of this years team?

Absolutely it's a flaw, but what's the tradeoff. 

I also don't think those guys are nearly as talented as we think, at least in year one, to say that we would contend for the Big East title.  Mbao is literally years away.  Otule, I don't know...I'd say a year or two away. Maymon had some nice moments, but as a freshman I wasn't expecting much.  In games against high majors I don't think he did that well if I recall.  JC, hard to say but freshmen point guards normally is a scary proposition.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2010, 09:08:56 PM »

Considering how bad a recruiter and coach he is, I'd say he overachieved.   I mean, how does someone that is so bad at his craft, to use the words of some here, "underachieve"?    ?-(

reinko

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »
Far more talent?!!?

The team with 3 future NBA players one being a lottery pick??!!??

Mu2323

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2010, 09:15:39 PM »
You do realize that if dj didnt get hurt last year both him and mcneal would be in the nba right now.

Mu2323

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2010, 09:18:55 PM »
Outside of wade being a lottery pick the other two might as well have never made it i havent heard anything about either one.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2010, 09:22:02 PM »
That's a stretch and you know it.  Still even then, where is the lottery pick?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2010, 09:23:04 PM »
You do realize that if dj didnt get hurt last year both him and mcneal would be in the nba right now.

Horsecrap.  They are both too small and have too inconsistent an outside shot to be in the NBA right now.  I mean, I can't even understand how you could blame DJ's injury for McNeal not being in the NBA.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2010, 09:24:59 PM »
Good christ.

Teams do not draft players, then resign players just because of a teammate they had in college.  There are no players on NBA rosters by accident.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2010, 09:25:39 PM »

Huh? Do you follow the NBA at all?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Rocco

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2010, 09:27:54 PM »
I guess they didn't underachieve.  I appologize to all of the MU fans I offended.  I do not use drugs.  

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2010, 09:32:49 PM »
Last years team had far more talent then the final four team minus a big inside presence. I dont think people understand how much robert jackson was the key to the success of the final four team

No way.  Robert Jackson meant a great deal, but the FF team had one of the world's best players and two additional players who are still on NBA rosters.

Mu2323

• Starter
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2010, 09:34:35 PM »
No i dont follow nba at all bc thats crap basketball. Dj could have been in the nba his junior year im sure everyone remembers. Mcneal fell of the face of the earth when james got hurt, im sure u also remember the 1,000 threads about mcneal going 2-20 every game. Before he got hurt mcneal was hitting what seemed to be 75% behind the three and averaging 20 per game. Im not going to argue anymore if the final four team had more talent then they did.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2010, 09:41:21 PM »
No comprehendo. Dude, I don't even know where to begin refuting this. Don't want to get into in with Santa Claus or the Easter bunny, but DJ and Jerel were nice collegiate basketball players. Probably good citizens as well. But, their games are woefully lacking and pale in comparison to NBA caliber players.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2010, 09:45:36 PM »
No i dont follow nba at all bc thats crap basketball. Dj could have been in the nba his junior year im sure everyone remembers. Mcneal fell of the face of the earth when james got hurt, im sure u also remember the 1,000 threads about mcneal going 2-20 every game. Before he got hurt mcneal was hitting what seemed to be 75% behind the three and averaging 20 per game. Im not going to argue anymore if the final four team had more talent then they did.

McNeal's not being in the NBA right now has has nothing to do with the end of the year drop off.  NBA teams don't base their evaluations of players on a handful of games at the end of their year.  McNeal got a work-out...he played on summer league teams...and no offer came.  Not because of DJ's injury, but because he doesn't have the game right now.

And my guess is that unless you watch the NBA, you really don't have much basis to understand why both are ill-suited for the league.

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2010, 10:02:22 PM »
I've said this many times before, I think the NCAAs are a crap shoot and I put that into a separate category.  In other words, I don't put all my eggs into that basket.

I thought last year's team played with tremendous heart, was tough, good chemistry, etc.  I also think last year's team would destroy this year's team.

Considering what that class of Wes, Jerel and DJ did, I honestly don't think anyone can say they underachieved, not using the lens I use.

We were supposed to get destroyed in the Big East when we joined, but we didn't because those kids played their asses off and made sure we didn't.  Four straight 10 win Big East seasons, several pre-season tournament championships, four NCAA bids, a ton of top 25 victories.  They spent a good chunk of their career in the top 25 themselves.  Without their efforts in those first few years of the Big East, I shutter to think where we would be right now.

They proved we belonged in the best conference in America, and for that I'll always be grateful and applaud their achievements.  What they did in one game in March doesn't lead me to believe they underachieved.  Their entire body of work is what is important to me.

I love our team. but +1, least years team would destroy this years team.
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

Bob "Big Daddy" Wild

• Starter
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2010, 10:04:35 PM »
After a long day of work and studying, the absurdities being spouted in this thread have given me great enjoyment.  Keep on keeping on.
Former president.  Part-time MUScooper.

Ron Paul

• Starter
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2010, 10:13:06 PM »
I definitely think this year the team has overachieved.  Not the other way around

Rocco

• Starter
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2010, 10:23:43 PM »
I definitely think this year the team has overachieved.  Not the other way around
That is probably the most accurate post yet.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2010, 11:32:42 PM »
Sounds like this posting is slowly coming to an end but just wanted to get my 2 cents in.  I think most people refer to the "Amigos" NCAA tourney success when saying they "underachieved".

However, let's look at each year...

Frosh Year: surprised everyone by 10 wins in Big East.  Seeded seventh and lost in the end to the 10 seed (common upset)

Soph Year:  McNeal injury plagued team at end of year.  Egg laying against Mich State (this year was an underachievement perhaps)

Junior Year:  Had six seed which was solid.  Given that team's talent, six seed seemed about right.  Lost to three seed on last second, practically behind the backboard shot.  Let us not forget Barro had a worse Senior season than his Junior season (can't blame that on Amigos).

Senior Year:  If Crean doesn't leave, you have Taylor as backup point guard.  That means James injury is a lot less painful.  Plus, Mbakwe probably stays (yes, we have found out some unsavory stuff here but nonetheless).  This team would have been seeded higher and probably reaches Sweet Sixteen even without a healthy James end of year.

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2010, 08:12:36 AM »
"Cadougan - Still a step slow wouldn't be able to guard quick pg's."  From one of the posts above.  It is certainly true now but I wonder how far along he would've been without the injury.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2010, 08:41:02 AM »
The saddest thing to me whenever these types of strings come up about the 3 amigos is that it seems they all focus on them underacheving.  We ll i dont think they underacheived, i think their head coach underacheived them.  Had the 3 amigos not been forced to play with the worst front court in the Big East their last 3 years none of this underacheiving talk would go on.  Tom Creans absolute inability to recruit capable big men will forever cause the 3 amigos to be deemed underaceivers. 

I actually see it differently,  i think they over acheived despite the absolute pathetic results of a coach to construct a collge basketball team.  i think the fact that they were #8 in the country and 9-0 in the Big East with the worst front court in the league speaks to how much those guys were over acheiving before DJ got hurt.  problem once again tho was once he got hurt we had no backup.  Creans inability to construct a lineup of BE caliber players was a joke, and enraged me, others saw him as infallible, i saw one none big east recruit after another and a poorly coached team.  he is indianas problem now.  Our administration did not have the balls to demand better from him, thanks God Indiana saved us, and we had buzz fall in our laps. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2010, 08:54:09 AM »

its okay, you dont understand.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2010, 09:07:15 AM »
Tom Creans absolute inability to recruit capable big men will forever cause the 3 amigos to be deemed underaceivers. 

And yet, a player eqivalent to Ousmane Barro would easily be starting this year, and would be projected as the starter next year.  Given that we have no more scholarships, that means the earliest Buzz can recruit a better big than the Amigos had will be the 2011-12 season--the year after Butler and Buycks leave.

That means you must feel that Buzz Williams absolute inability to recruit bigs has resulted in Butler, Hayward, and Buycks to be forever deemed underachievers.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2010, 09:08:35 AM »
The saddest thing to me whenever these types of strings come up about the 3 amigos is that it seems they all focus on them underacheving.  We ll i dont think they underacheived, i think their head coach underacheived them.  Had the 3 amigos not been forced to play with the worst front court in the Big East their last 3 years none of this underacheiving talk would go on.  Tom Creans absolute inability to recruit capable big men will forever cause the 3 amigos to be deemed underaceivers.  

I actually see it differently,  i think they over acheived despite the absolute pathetic results of a coach to construct a collge basketball team.  i think the fact that they were #8 in the country and 9-0 in the Big East with the worst front court in the league speaks to how much those guys were over acheiving before DJ got hurt.  problem once again tho was once he got hurt we had no backup.  Creans inability to construct a lineup of BE caliber players was a joke, and enraged me, others saw him as infallible, i saw one none big east recruit after another and a poorly coached team.  he is indianas problem now.  Our administration did not have the balls to demand better from him, thanks God Indiana saved us, and we had buzz fall in our laps.  

I love Buzz, but w/o Crean he wouldn't be as fortunate as he is and was. Before Crean we had better talent in the regime before him?? Give credit where credit is due and enough with the underlying agenda already. This discussion is the same old story brought up in another topic, MARQUETTE'S inability as a whole in being unable to recruit bigs in recent history, end of story.

And Buzz didn't fall on our laps Crean brought him here.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2010, 09:26:16 AM »
If the Big Three had Tim Duncan and Shaq on the team, they would have been unstoppable.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2010, 09:39:45 AM »
Last year's team was a much better team.  I'd love seeing their senior year be against this years Big East.

That being said, I believe this year's team has the abilty to make a deeper run in the tournament than last year's team.  With their ability to hit the three ball, they are never out of a game.

And in no way did the three amigos under achieve.  

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2010, 10:14:37 AM »
And yet, a player eqivalent to Ousmane Barro would easily be starting this year, and would be projected as the starter next year.  Given that we have no more scholarships, that means the earliest Buzz can recruit a better big than the Amigos had will be the 2011-12 season--the year after Butler and Buycks leave.

That means you must feel that Buzz Williams absolute inability to recruit bigs has resulted in Butler, Hayward, and Buycks to be forever deemed underachievers.

absolutely a terrible terrible comparison.  Yes Mu had Barro but not for their last year but barro was not that good.  Mu had the worst front court in the BE the 3 amigos 4 years.  hwthere they had Barro or not they were the worst front court every night in the BE.

Now you are holding Buzz to having a poor front court when he was left with nothing?  Unless you are UNC you need time to develop a rotation of bigs.  He brought in Otule despite Crean wanting nothing to do with him and Buzz begged crean to give him a chance.  he brought in Mcorrow, and Mboa.  these guys cannot be judged until they are juniors.  A good programs brings in one a year ala Pittsburgh or Wisconsin or even a Uconn and by the time they are juniors or seniors they are ready to contribute, as freshman and SOphs they ride pine lift weights and practice.

So your are holding Buzz to a lack of a front court becuase Crean left him with zero bigs in adevelopment program?  I never had a problem with the bigs crean signed or his development of them.  the problem was near the end he simply was not signing any of them.  Apart form mbakwe he did not sign any bigs in his last 3 or so year. Simple abandonment of his duties, gave the air of someone looking to bail or of someone incompetitent.  I would say probably 50/50.   Buzz will get it done in a year or two the bigs will be juniors and he will have another big or two in the program at the end of the becnh biding their time.  that is how its done. 

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2010, 10:48:06 AM »
Dumbest Thread of the Year

flash

• Team Captain
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2010, 11:37:31 AM »
The big three did not underachieve.  They kept our program in the national spotlight for four consecutive years.  However, 2 NCAA tournament wins in 4 years is very dissapointing. 

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2010, 11:41:10 AM »
Dumbest Thread of the Year

I was at post number 20 and thought the same thing.  I don't know where to start.  First, Buzz got this team last year and its obvious his mindset was to not reinvent the wheel.  The way the team plays this year in comparison to last year is night and day.  I think this year's team gives us an idea of how Buzz is trying to build his teams.  Second, we didn't have a rotation last year where there were 5 players part of the offense.  Outside the major 4 contributors, the others thought pass first before they thought dribble or shoot.  Now, we have a rotation (maybe two) where all the players fit into the offense.  It makes a big difference.  You really can't compare "achievements" last year to this year.  We can compare styles of play but records and everything else is pointless.

To answer the question though, its that the Big three overachieved.  Love Hayward but with the Big three, he was a role player.  Basically, our season records and tourney appearances were all due to those three.  Every game we played, it was the Big 3 and 2 guys currently on the floor v. the other team.  And last year's BE conference was the best conference I can remember in a while.  Three 1 seeds, and I think 3 or 4 made the elite eight, and I think at one point 8 teams from the BE were ranked.  And we were in the mix all year long.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2010, 11:49:56 AM »
I guess they didn't underachieve.  I appologize to all of the MU fans I offended.  I do not use drugs.  

You are an epic underachieving apologist!!!

Just kidding Rocco, having some fun with you.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2010, 08:27:01 PM »

absolutely a terrible terrible comparison.  Yes Mu had Barro but not for their last year but barro was not that good.  Mu had the worst front court in the BE the 3 amigos 4 years.  hwthere they had Barro or not they were the worst front court every night in the BE.

Now you are holding Buzz to having a poor front court when he was left with nothing?  Unless you are UNC you need time to develop a rotation of bigs.  He brought in Otule despite Crean wanting nothing to do with him and Buzz begged crean to give him a chance.  he brought in Mcorrow, and Mboa.  these guys cannot be judged until they are juniors.  A good programs brings in one a year ala Pittsburgh or Wisconsin or even a Uconn and by the time they are juniors or seniors they are ready to contribute, as freshman and SOphs they ride pine lift weights and practice.

So your are holding Buzz to a lack of a front court becuase Crean left him with zero bigs in adevelopment program?  I never had a problem with the bigs crean signed or his development of them.  the problem was near the end he simply was not signing any of them.  Apart form mbakwe he did not sign any bigs in his last 3 or so year. Simple abandonment of his duties, gave the air of someone looking to bail or of someone incompetitent.  I would say probably 50/50.   Buzz will get it done in a year or two the bigs will be juniors and he will have another big or two in the program at the end of the becnh biding their time.  that is how its done. 

Next year we'll have three seniors--Fulce, Buycks and Butler--all of whom Buzz was responsible for recruiting.

Explain to me why the lack of a big in the Senior (or Junior) class is all Crean's fault. Shouldn't Buzz have looked at his roster, realized what he needed, and landed a transfer (as he did with Buycks, Butler, DJO, Crowder etc.)?

WhereisGeraldPosey

« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2010, 11:34:36 PM »
4 straight NCAA bids, something that has not been done @ MU since the 70's; yeah, they underachieved...To paraphrase a line from Bill Madison, this may be the dumbest thread I have ever read and we are all dumber for reading it.

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2010, 12:59:11 AM »
I actually think they overachieved. None of them were superior talents. The fact Matthews has made it in the NBA is a matter of circumstance and opportunity. McNeal was one of the worst decision makers I've seen at Marquette -- probably ever -- and James was just a horrendous shooter. These guys are near the top of our all time lists because they played the most games. The fact of the matter is, they had to play a ton as freshman because there was nobody else to play.

If you ask me, James is the most overrated player in Marquette history, with McNeal somewhere in the top 5. Matthews was solid and I'm not just saying that because he's continued his career. He was always the only one of the three that seemed to "get it."

I understand that they were decent guys and "good" players. But they were not great.

I also agree with Chicos. The NCAA is a crapshoot. You need look no further than our game against Holy Cross in 2003.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this year's team is more enjoyable to watch because they make a fraction of the boneheaded plays that last year's team did. What did we have, 4 turnovers against UCONN this year? McNeal would have that many in a half.

ABSOLUTE ABSURDITY.

feedback