[May 08, 2024, 07:39:19 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[May 08, 2024, 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[May 08, 2024, 08:59:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo, other Duke alums, think Coach K is far from retirement  (Read 13221 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Wojo, other Duke alums, think Coach K is far from retirement
« on: September 03, 2014, 08:34:12 PM »
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24693050/wojo-other-duke-alums-think-coach-k-is-far-from-retirement

Gary Parrish
September 3, 2014 1:41 pm ET

MILWAUKEE -- As I pointed out in a column about Steve Wojciechowski that posted here Tuesday, the first-year Marquette coach hasn't spent much time talking about Duke or Mike Krzyzewski since he arrived on campus five months ago. But that didn't stop me from asking about Duke and Mike Krzyzewski when I arrived on campus one week ago. Specifically, I wanted to know how often Wojo is asked about succeeding Coach K. And I was curious if any of the so-called Duke guys now working at Marquette -- Wojciechowski, for those unaware, has fellow Blue Devils Chris Carrawell and Tyler Thornton on staff -- have any idea when Krzyzewski might actually retire.

Let's deal with the first topic first.

"I realize [the idea of replacing Krzyzewski] is out there; I'm not going to deny that I've heard that," Wojciechowski said. "But, for me, that's not in the equation. The equation for me is Marquette ... and making this place the best it can be.

"Whoever replaces [Krzyzewski]," he added, "is going to have a tall task."

In other words, yes, Wojciechowski is aware he's widely considered the favorite to someday replace his former coach and boss at Duke. But he's also smart enough to realize that replacing an icon -- "He might go down as the best to ever do it," Wojciechowski said -- might not be an ideal situation for anybody. And, either way, nobody can replace an icon until the icon retires, and there's no indication Krzyzewski will retire any time soon.

That's the prevailing theory these days.

Once upon a time, most seemed to think Krzyzewski would coach this season, next season and probably retire after the 2016 Olympics at the age of 69. That's what folks in basketball circles were whispering, at least. But now you can't find anybody who thinks Krzyzewski is anywhere close to retirement, and that's certainly the belief of Wojciechowski, Carrawell and Thornton, the last of whom played for Krzyzewski last season.

All three are convinced Krzyzewski has many more years of coaching ahead of him.

"He's gonna be around," Carrawell said. "And I don't mean just another five years or something. I mean, he's gonna be around."

Wojciechowski echoed those words.

"Coach is young and vibrant and current, so I can't see him retiring any time soon," Wojciechowski said. "I think he loves it, and his family is entrenched in the program, and they're going to be good year after year. … So I just don't see him retiring any time soon."

Johnny B

• All American
Re: Wojo, other Duke alums, think Coach K is far from retirement
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 08:38:02 PM »
no way he coaches into his mid 70's, just to much recruiting and stuff to do. Hopefully he can go another 5 years or so though. K is one of my all time favorite coaches.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 09:59:08 PM »
I think he's done in three years. He's gotta say he's going to be coaching longer to make sure recruits feel secure
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 10:05:07 PM »
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24693050/wojo-other-duke-alums-think-coach-k-is-far-from-retirement

Gary Parrish

"Whoever replaces [Krzyzewski]," he added, "is going to have a tall task."

Let's look at the recent record. At Marquette, we have not been the same since Al retired. God knows, we've tried.

In Green Bay, Coach Lombardi left and it took 30 years for the Packers to get back to the Super Bowl. Lombardi disciples, outsiders, ex-players, nobody was successful. Until, that is, Coach Holmgren and GM Ron Wolf stepped it up in Green Bay.

North Carolina has been through a succession of coaches since Dean Smith retired. With apologies to Roy Williams, none have lived up to Dean Smith's reputation.

Finally, UCLA hasn't been close to the consistent excellence that it displayed under Coach Wooden. Not that anyone could be, but the school hasn't come close. They've had some success, but not UCLA success.

My point is, whoever succeeds Coach K will have an expectation of being a consistent contender for the national championship. Duke is a pressure cooker like no other. Think UCLA, Marquette, North Carolina and Kansas rolled into one. If Coach Wojo is successful and we're a consistent Top 5 or Top 10 team, why would he walk into that mess?

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 10:22:44 PM »
Let's look at the recent record. At Marquette, we have not been the same since Al retired. God knows, we've tried.

In Green Bay, Coach Lombardi left and it took 30 years for the Packers to get back to the Super Bowl. Lombardi disciples, outsiders, ex-players, nobody was successful. Until, that is, Coach Holmgren and GM Ron Wolf stepped it up in Green Bay.

North Carolina has been through a succession of coaches since Dean Smith retired. With apologies to Roy Williams, none have lived up to Dean Smith's reputation.

Finally, UCLA hasn't been close to the consistent excellence that it displayed under Coach Wooden. Not that anyone could be, but the school hasn't come close. They've had some success, but not UCLA success.

My point is, whoever succeeds Coach K will have an expectation of being a consistent contender for the national championship. Duke is a pressure cooker like no other. Think UCLA, Marquette, North Carolina and Kansas rolled into one. If Coach Wojo is successful and we're a consistent Top 5 or Top 10 team, why would he walk into that mess?

Because he is a Duke alum and it is his dream job......

If offered he isn't passing up that job...none of the Duke guys would....

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 11:00:26 PM »

The UCLA bar was set so high, no one is ever going to come close to that....really tough.

To me, the dynamic has changed so much that you aren't going to see those things anymore.  Salary caps in pro sports.  Fewer scholarships in college athletics and exposure from many more teams than there used to be (distribution of talent), etc. 

The world is just so different that the dynasty type teams is really tough to duplicate any more.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 11:28:32 PM »

Do you know that for sure? Or is that an emotional guess?

I'd like to think that once he is established, Coach Wojo's dream job is in Milwaukee.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 11:30:00 PM »

If offered he isn't passing up that job...none of the Duke guys would....

Very likely correct.  The only reason they might hold off is following a legend, which is incredibly difficult to do, but they all want it....especially because they are alums.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 12:02:38 AM »
Coach Wojo's dream job is in Milwaukee.

As in UWM?

Death on call

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 12:28:55 AM »

I'd like to think that once he is established, Coach Wojo's dream job is in Milwaukee.

Geez, the guy has not coached a game yet and the speculation begins. There is no doubt he goes to Duke if offered. It's a no brainier for a guy who has spent his whole adult life there. If Wojo is successful at MU, the pathway will be clear if he wants it.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 12:31:46 AM »
I see the MU, UNC, and UCLA comparisons, but NFL franchises = different ballgame. Quite frankly, we may never see a replication of Coach K's success at Duke or elsewhere. As we know, if K had began his coaching career in the 2000s, he never would've lasted, the AD had a great amount of patience early in K's career.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 07:53:06 AM »

And I'd like to think that one day my dog is going to sh*t gold bricks.

My goodness, the guy hasn't coached a game here.  Let's see how this goes before wishing he is here forever and that MU is his dream job.  A year ago we were saying the same thing about Buzz.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 08:26:32 AM »
The UCLA bar was set so high, no one is ever going to come close to that....really tough.

To me, the dynamic has changed so much that you aren't going to see those things anymore.  Salary caps in pro sports.  Fewer scholarships in college athletics and exposure from many more teams than there used to be (distribution of talent), etc. 

The world is just so different that the dynasty type teams is really tough to duplicate any more.

Yep! UCLA played 2 warm up games in the Western Regional and then on to the Final Four. Not like that anymore.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 08:48:35 AM »
The "at least five" more years he dropped shortly before Wojo left may be close.  Five-ish.  Which was a good signal for Wojo to fly the coop to have a chance at having his name in the hat when that time comes.  All the better for us; if he would succeed K it means he managed to distinguish himself from several others on the K coaching tree (and other top coaches not on the tree) in less time as a head coach.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2014, 08:55:57 AM »

Most coaches do not fear such a situation. They pretty much never think, "What if I fail? What if I don't live up to expectations?" As a rule, they have huge egos. Success is a given.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2014, 09:10:27 AM »
The "at least five" more years he dropped shortly before Wojo left may be close.  Five-ish.  Which was a good signal for Wojo to fly the coop to have a chance at having his name in the hat when that time comes.  All the better for us; if he would succeed K it means he managed to distinguish himself from several others on the K coaching tree (and other top coaches not on the tree) in less time as a head coach.

I agree.

I've said it before. About the only way he (or anyone else, for that matter) gets that job at Duke University is if that 1977 Banner at the Bradley Center has a companion.

That's the standard of excellence at Duke.

Once upon a time, it was the expected standard of excellence at Marquette too!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2014, 10:06:35 AM »
The scuttlebutt is that Wojo became a more serious candidate for Marquette when the search committee learned that Wojo was currently not very high on the replace Coach K list. Don't know if its true, just passing along a rumor.

Irregardless, I don't think we should already be starting the Wojo to Duke rumors. Coach K has some time left and Wojo has a lot to prove. There are a lot of candidates for the Duke job. And Wojo may not want it as much as people think. Following a legend is not easy. At Duke, Wojo will always be second fiddle to Coach K. The guy will have a tough decision to make in 2-7 seasons. And even if chooses to apply, he still has to get the job. Let's enjoy the ride until then.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2014, 10:59:33 AM »
I can see it now:

2020 Wojo takes the Duke job.

"Ya know, Wojo always wore a MU jacket, but I knew he was wearing a Duke t-shirt underneath. Glad he's gone. MU needs a coach that's passionate about MU, not a coach that is using MU to get the Duke job."

"See ya, WeirdJo! Have fun with your floor slaps at Dook."   

"I've heard that (insert coach) is a breath of fresh air compared Weirdjo's and his strange obsession with getting his haircut every 5 days."

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2014, 11:02:20 AM »
I can see it now:

2020 Wojo takes the Duke job.

"Ya know, Wojo always wore a MU jacket, but I knew he was wearing a Duke t-shirt underneath. Glad he's gone. MU needs a coach that's passionate about MU, not a coach that is using MU to get the Duke job."

"See ya, WeirdJo! Have fun with your floor slaps at Dook."   

"I've heard that (insert coach) is a breath of fresh air compared Weirdjo's and his strange obsession with getting his haircut every 5 days."

You forgot:

"He took us to three final fours, and I will always respect him for that."

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2014, 11:06:19 AM »
I give Coach K 5 more years. In all likelihood, Wojo will be gone at that point. And I wouldn't blame him one bit.

This article is sort of dumb. No one knows when Coach K will retire, probably not even Coach K. But its hard to imagine he will want to work much later in life than 75 or so, which is 7 years from now. And it would be foolish to tip his hand even if he did know. It would kill recruiting for Duke.

Coaching changes are part of college basketball. Let's hope Wojo does a good job and just enjoy him for as long as we have him. MU basketball will go on. Just like it has after Crean and after Buzz.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2014, 11:36:22 AM »
You forgot:

"He took us to three final fours, and I will always respect him for that."

"I respect the results, but he isn't practicing what he preached. It's a shame the players had to find out like that. Turns out WeirdJo is just like Brent and TanCream. Just another head coach that sold us on the idea that he was truly a MU guy, but then bailed when he got what he wanted."

ZiggysChestHair

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2014, 11:51:12 AM »
Think UCLA, Marquette, North Carolina and Kansas rolled into one. If Coach Wojo is successful and we're a consistent Top 5 or Top 10 team, why would he walk into that mess?

For the same reason Roy Williams left Kansas to return to North Carolina.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2014, 11:59:24 AM »

So Duke is going to set up fake classes to help K's successor breeze the players through academically?   :D

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2014, 12:16:47 PM »

Remember he turned them down the first time.  And if Doherty had been successful at UNC, Williams would likely still be at Kansas.

As I have said, it is hard being the one who replaces the Legend.  It is easier being the one right after that.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2014, 12:35:43 PM »
As I have said, it is hard being the one who replaces the Legend.  It is easier being the one right after that.

Is it hard to replace a Legend or hard to find someone (or also a Legend) capable of replacing a Legend?  I would argue Roy would have done just as well following Guthridge (who was the sacrificial next man after Dean).

I am racking my brain, but I can't think of a legendary coach that who failed following a legend but went on to a roaring success elsewhere...so is this phenomenon the person or the situation.

feedback