collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Hydroxychloroquinine updates (and other potential treatments)  (Read 126522 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Hydroxychloroquinine updates (and other potential treatments)
« Reply #750 on: August 23, 2020, 08:42:41 AM »
  "The Obama administration backed off the promise of 100 million doses by October but pegged the number at 40 million."

"By mid-October, however, when the demand for the vaccine was at its highest, supply fell dramatically short, with as few as 11 million doses on hand,"

“It is purely a fortuity that this isn’t one of the great mass casualty events in American history,” Ron Klain, who was Biden’s chief of staff at the time, said of H1N1 in 2019. “It had nothing to do with us doing anything right. It just had to do with luck."

if this were during trump's term, they would have tried to impeach him...again

So more than 3 1/2 years into Trump's term and still the best you can do is 'But Obama.'

Step back and think about that....

tower912

• All American
« Reply #751 on: August 23, 2020, 08:48:02 AM »
Rocket, very nice of you to put out Biden talking points.   He wants everybody to compare the responses.  12k versus 180k.   Mobilizing the entire federal government versus blaming the states.    Writing a guidebook versus ignoring and discarding it.   

So, Uncle Joe says thanks.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 09:06:43 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #752 on: August 23, 2020, 09:06:08 AM »
Had H1N1 resulted in 175K+ dead Americans and millions of unemployed Americans on Obama’s watch, I’m sure rocket and the rest of Individual-1’s sycophants would have graciously said, “The president has no responsibility here at all. The Mexican Flu obviously was Mexico’s fault.”
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #753 on: August 23, 2020, 09:15:09 AM »
This makes me sad since it was recycled from the early days.  It just reinforces deflect and spin is a key element of the pandemic response. 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #754 on: August 23, 2020, 10:15:02 AM »
  "The Obama administration backed off the promise of 100 million doses by October but pegged the number at 40 million."

"By mid-October, however, when the demand for the vaccine was at its highest, supply fell dramatically short, with as few as 11 million doses on hand,"

“It is purely a fortuity that this isn’t one of the great mass casualty events in American history,” Ron Klain, who was Biden’s chief of staff at the time, said of H1N1 in 2019. “It had nothing to do with us doing anything right. It just had to do with luck."

if this were during trump's term, they would have tried to impeach him...again

Your premise is absurd on a number of fronts, but I'll still point out some flaws on the prediction side.

It takes a minimum of 5-6 months to develop, test and produce a flu vaccine. The virus was first identified in April of 2009.  So the earliest it could be produced would have been October. They would have had the amounts they promised, but late in the manufacturing process, it was determined that this particular vaccine resulted in low yields in manufacturing. That couldn't possibly be known until late in the process.

It had nothing to do with administrative actions. Much of the problems the nation has faced is a direct result of poor administrative decisions, or a lack of action.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #755 on: August 23, 2020, 10:24:36 AM »
The lunatic tweets:

“The deep state, or whoever, over at the FDA is making it very difficult for drug companies to get people in order to test the vaccines and therapeutics. Obviously, they are hoping to delay the answer until after November 3rd. Must focus on speed, and saving lives! @SteveFDA”

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #756 on: August 23, 2020, 11:06:43 AM »

here ya go frank-a very simple search could find the answer to many of your questions -the cvs near me uses one of their two drive thru lanes for covid testing only.  you've had to have seen this driving your seniors to their bingo et.al.

https://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/covid-19-testing

Good luck getting your test results in under 2 weeks.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #757 on: August 23, 2020, 11:23:06 AM »
Anyone have any idea on what will be announced at the "major COVID therapeutic breakthrough" press conference tonight? I can't think of anything that would be on the radar.

The vaccine trials still are far from even enrolled.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #758 on: August 23, 2020, 11:25:35 AM »
Scott Gottleib thinks it’s about plasma.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #759 on: August 23, 2020, 11:48:08 AM »
Rocket, very nice of you to put out Biden talking points.   He wants everybody to compare the responses.  12k versus 180k.   Mobilizing the entire federal government versus blaming the states.    Writing a guidebook versus ignoring and discarding it.   

So, Uncle Joe says thanks.
I am baffled (but not really, I guess, considering who makes these arguments) that 12,000 - 17,000 dead after 12 months is brought up as some sort of defense for Trump's results of 180,000 dead in 6 months.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #760 on: August 23, 2020, 01:26:20 PM »
Scott Gottleib thinks it’s about plasma.

Wouldn't surprise me. There have been conflicting reports on the preliminary results of the big convalescent plasma study, so it might be to highlight some positive news.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #761 on: August 23, 2020, 01:51:59 PM »

Wouldn't surprise me. There have been conflicting reports on the preliminary results of the big convalescent plasma study, so it might be to highlight some positive news.

According to the twitter machine you are indeed correct.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #763 on: August 23, 2020, 08:47:41 PM »
Or it might not be.

https://twitter.com/celinegounder/status/1297674721815867401?s=21

Yep. Very premature EUA approval without solid data. As a result, we may never know whether or how well it works.

Should have kept it in the clinical trial stage.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #764 on: August 23, 2020, 09:12:36 PM »
Did the witch doctor give this the thumbs up? Or is this a MyPillow Guy deal?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #765 on: August 23, 2020, 09:21:12 PM »

Yep. Very premature EUA approval without solid data. As a result, we may never know whether or how well it works.

Should have kept it in the clinical trial stage.

So not only was this not a breakthrough. The decision was the wrong decision.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #766 on: August 23, 2020, 09:25:11 PM »
And people wonder why so many say they will not take a vaccine.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #767 on: August 24, 2020, 07:03:05 AM »
Nm

« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 07:08:02 AM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #768 on: August 24, 2020, 08:13:04 AM »
Secretary of Failure strikes again.

Jared Kushner made a deal with Russia for ventilators during the COVID crisis, but every single machine was faulty
https://news.yahoo.com/jared-kushner-made-deal-russia-111103345.html

"Jared Kushner brokered a deal with the Russia for 45 ventilators to be brought to the US to help with the coronavirus crisis, all of which turned out to be faulty, according to a new report.

<snip>

ABC also reported that the shipment contained thousands of medical supplies that not commonly used by hospitals, like household cleaning gloves, and that Russia billed the US almost $660,000 for them.

Trump welcomed the equipment, saying at an April 2 press briefing that Putin offered him equipment in a phone call.

"He offered a lot of medical, high quality stuff that I accepted and that may save a lot of lives. I'll take it every day."
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #769 on: August 24, 2020, 08:52:47 AM »
Secretary of Failure strikes again.

Jared Kushner made a deal with Russia for ventilators during the COVID crisis, but every single machine was faulty
https://news.yahoo.com/jared-kushner-made-deal-russia-111103345.html

"Jared Kushner brokered a deal with the Russia for 45 ventilators to be brought to the US to help with the coronavirus crisis, all of which turned out to be faulty, according to a new report.

<snip>

ABC also reported that the shipment contained thousands of medical supplies that not commonly used by hospitals, like household cleaning gloves, and that Russia billed the US almost $660,000 for them.

Trump welcomed the equipment, saying at an April 2 press briefing that Putin offered him equipment in a phone call.

"He offered a lot of medical, high quality stuff that I accepted and that may save a lot of lives. I'll take it every day."

You had me at Jared Kushner made a deal with Russia.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #770 on: August 24, 2020, 12:18:53 PM »

Might be the first time ever that a bunch of Playtex gloves were referred to as "medical, high quality stuff."

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #771 on: August 24, 2020, 11:08:52 PM »

Might be the first time ever that a bunch of Playtex gloves were referred to as "medical, high quality stuff."

He only bought them to use one finger -at all of us.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #772 on: August 25, 2020, 01:05:28 PM »
F.D.A. ‘Grossly Misrepresented’ Blood Plasma Data, Scientists Say
Many experts — including a scientist who worked on the Mayo Clinic study — were bewildered about where a key statistic came from.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/24/health/fda-blood-plasma.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Mr. Trump called it a “tremendous” number. His health and human services secretary, Alex M. Azar II, a former pharmaceutical executive, said, “I don’t want you to gloss over this number.” And Dr. Stephen M. Hahn, the commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration, said 35 out of 100 Covid-19 patients “would have been saved because of the administration of plasma.”

But scientists were taken aback by the way the administration framed this data, which appeared to have been calculated based on a small subgroup of hospitalized Covid-19 patients in a Mayo Clinic study: those who were under 80 years old, not on ventilators and received plasma known to contain high levels of virus-fighting antibodies within three days of diagnosis.

What’s more, many experts — including a scientist who worked on the Mayo Clinic study — were bewildered about where the statistic came from. The number was not mentioned in the official authorization letter issued by the agency, nor was it in a 17-page memo written by F.D.A. scientists. It was not in an analysis conducted by the Mayo Clinic that has been frequently cited by the administration.

“For the first time ever, I feel like official people in communications and people at the F.D.A. grossly misrepresented data about a therapy,” said Dr. Walid Gellad, who leads the Center for Pharmaceutical Policy and Prescribing at the University of Pittsburgh.

----------------

In all my years of working in clinical research, I have never seen FDA so badly misrepresent the data provided to them by the researchers.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #773 on: August 25, 2020, 01:40:50 PM »
F.D.A. ‘Grossly Misrepresented’ Blood Plasma Data, Scientists Say
Many experts — including a scientist who worked on the Mayo Clinic study — were bewildered about where a key statistic came from.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/24/health/fda-blood-plasma.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Mr. Trump called it a “tremendous” number. His health and human services secretary, Alex M. Azar II, a former pharmaceutical executive, said, “I don’t want you to gloss over this number.” And Dr. Stephen M. Hahn, the commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration, said 35 out of 100 Covid-19 patients “would have been saved because of the administration of plasma.”

But scientists were taken aback by the way the administration framed this data, which appeared to have been calculated based on a small subgroup of hospitalized Covid-19 patients in a Mayo Clinic study: those who were under 80 years old, not on ventilators and received plasma known to contain high levels of virus-fighting antibodies within three days of diagnosis.

What’s more, many experts — including a scientist who worked on the Mayo Clinic study — were bewildered about where the statistic came from. The number was not mentioned in the official authorization letter issued by the agency, nor was it in a 17-page memo written by F.D.A. scientists. It was not in an analysis conducted by the Mayo Clinic that has been frequently cited by the administration.

“For the first time ever, I feel like official people in communications and people at the F.D.A. grossly misrepresented data about a therapy,” said Dr. Walid Gellad, who leads the Center for Pharmaceutical Policy and Prescribing at the University of Pittsburgh.

----------------

In all my years of working in clinical research, I have never seen FDA so badly misrepresent the data provided to them by the researchers.

Isn't this exactly what we expected to happen?

I believe the FDA (like the formerly great CDC agency) will further sell out in October and approve a vaccine that isn't ready.

The CDC has been silenced. The same absolutely WILL happen with the FDA.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #774 on: August 27, 2020, 07:18:17 AM »
The FDA is apologizing for having following President Pandemic's lead in overselling the convalescent plasma "cure."

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/08/25/905792261/fdas-hahn-apologizes-for-overselling-plasmas-benefits-as-a-covid-19-treatment

The Food and Drug Administration's chief has undercut the agency's assertion that it is basing its decisions on science, not politics.

At a White House event Sunday with President Trump, FDA Commissioner Stephen Hahn used a deeply misleading statistic to claim that a treatment the agency had just authorized for treating the coronavirus would save 35 lives out of every 100 people who get the treatment.

That false claim has brought withering criticism from scientists, in news articles and on Twitter, who argue that it was a gross exaggeration of the benefits.

"I can't remember a mistake by FDA or the commissioner as serious as this one," Dr. Eric Topol of the Scripps Translational Research Institute tells NPR.

On Monday evening, Hahn tweeted an apology, saying "The criticism is entirely justified."

feedback