collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Hydroxychloroquinine updates (and other potential treatments)  (Read 126657 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Hydroxychloroquinine updates (and other potential treatments)
« Reply #700 on: July 30, 2020, 02:08:56 PM »
It was pushed cause the President and a lot of people thought/hoped it would work. 

Why do you think it was pushed?

Why do you think it was pushed.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #701 on: July 30, 2020, 02:10:59 PM »
What?!?  You don’t think both sides are responsible for the partisan nature on your view of HCQ. 

If that’s the case why is everyone so divided along party lines with their opinion of it.

They aren't. There's a divide among people who believe in science and those who believe in spirit/demon dream sex
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #702 on: July 30, 2020, 02:14:40 PM »
What?!?  You don’t think both sides are responsible for the partisan nature on your view of HCQ. 

If that’s the case why is everyone so divided along party lines with their opinion of it.

Because one side believes it works due to the President touting it, while everyone else is smart and understands science.  That's not "both sides."
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #703 on: July 30, 2020, 02:22:26 PM »
Because one side believes it works due to the President touting it, while everyone else is smart and understands science.  That's not "both sides."

You’re comment and Galway are perfect examples for why both sides share blame for the discourse around HCG being 100% in the gutter.

I think myself and the majority of folks on the right were pushing and hoping it would work cause it would save lives and hopefully but an end to a lot of the death and in so doing make Trump and his administration look good which would help his re-election.

I think naysayers of it hoped it wouldn’t work so it would make him look bad and they could call anyone who championed the use of it idiots and try to use it against him this fall. 

While I’m disappointed and admitted once some of those early studies were released that it wasn’t the silver bullet I hoped for at least I was cheering for it to work cause that means it would have saved a lot of lives.

And advocating for the continued study of it to see if there is a place for it in the therapeutic profile of treating COVID Does not mean I drink dragon blood or whatever the poking fun phase currently is on scoop

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #704 on: July 30, 2020, 02:25:38 PM »
You’re comment and Galway are perfect examples for why both sides share blame for the discourse around HCG being 100% in the gutter.

I think myself and the majority of folks on the right were pushing and hoping it would work cause it would save lives and hopefully but an end to a lot of the death and in so doing make Trump and his administration look good which would help his re-election.

I think naysayers of it hoped it wouldn’t work so it would make him look bad and they could call anyone who championed the use of it idiots and try to use it against him this fall. 

I wanted it to work and stated as such.  So you're wrong.

However, when it was shown not to work, I figured out that collectively we should move on.  Others haven't.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #705 on: July 30, 2020, 02:30:03 PM »
I hope every new drug will be effective.    I wish hydroxy was the answer to the COVID question.    What I really hoped for is that our leaders would follow science and lead.    So, getting used to disappointment.   Got snake oil and demon sex dreams instead.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #706 on: July 30, 2020, 03:17:18 PM »
I hope every new drug will be effective.    I wish hydroxy was the answer to the COVID question.    What I really hoped for is that our leaders would follow science and lead.    So, getting used to disappointment.   Got snake oil and demon sex dreams instead.

Demon Sex Dreams sounds like a new band
Maigh Eo for Sam

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #707 on: July 30, 2020, 03:42:49 PM »
I hope the Atlantic Ocean’s salt water can cure every disease in the world. If you don’t show support for the possibility that the Atlantic Ocean’s salt water might actually cure every disease in the world then you’re an extreme right who would rather see people die than be wrong that the Atlantic Ocean’s salt water does not cure every disease in the world.

Or something like that.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 03:45:44 PM by BLM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #708 on: July 30, 2020, 05:24:26 PM »
It was pushed cause the President and a lot of people thought/hoped it would work. 

Why do you think it was pushed?

it was pushed because the federal government bought a massive supply for the federal stockpile and had to do something to unload the 100 million or so doses just lying around.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #709 on: July 30, 2020, 06:10:16 PM »
I’m not very familiar with scientific studies, but is it fair to say if someone has the money to fund and you have people willing to conduct the study, you can study anything? Kind of like you just need x amount of money to file charges against someone, no matter how crazy?

I’m sure there’s also some value in studies that show this doesn’t work based on the narrative. Hopefully it does work, but so far it doesn’t seem like there’s much showing it does.

There actually was a blind study done that I posted above if interested.  I think I posted it last time pace was here with his ‘some people think...’

Apparently he has added A ‘both sides’ argument on top.  Which is enough to fill out my same man new screen name bingo card and move on. 

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #710 on: July 30, 2020, 06:12:42 PM »
Here it is if anyone is interested. 

Well there is this study they probably have to overcome. 

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2016638

“We conducted a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial across the United States and parts of Canada testing hydroxychloroquine as postexposure prophylaxis.”

“We enrolled 821 asymptomatic participants. Overall, 87.6% of the participants (719 of 821) reported a high-risk exposure to a confirmed Covid-19 contact. The incidence of new illness compatible with Covid-19 did not differ significantly between participants receiving hydroxychloroquine (49 of 414 [11.8%]) and those receiving placebo (58 of 407 [14.3%]); the absolute difference was −2.4 percentage points (95% confidence interval, −7.0 to 2.2; P=0.35). Side effects were more common with hydroxychloroquine than with placebo (40.1% vs. 16.8%), but no serious adverse reactions were reported.“

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #711 on: July 30, 2020, 08:20:09 PM »
I hope the Atlantic Ocean’s salt water can cure every disease in the world. If you don’t show support for the possibility that the Atlantic Ocean’s salt water might actually cure every disease in the world then you’re an extreme right who would rather see people die than be wrong that the Atlantic Ocean’s salt water does not cure every disease in the world.

Or something like that.
Well F my luck, I'm closer to the Gulf of Mexico. Any chance that sweet healing water mixes my way?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #712 on: July 30, 2020, 10:25:08 PM »
it was pushed because the federal government bought a massive supply for the federal stockpile and had to do something to unload the 100 million or so doses just lying around.

And scientists/physicians just said oh sure.  F it, you want me to prescribe it ok, I’ll do it.

As if there is no other use for a drug that’s been around for 50 years.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #713 on: July 31, 2020, 07:25:10 AM »
And scientists/physicians just said oh sure.  F it, you want me to prescribe it ok, I’ll do it.

As if there is no other use for a drug that’s been around for 50 years.

You're really giving physicians too much credit here. We've seen time after time the over prescribing of useless meds. Whether it opioid companies literally paying for lap dances for doctors , statens that have little to no actual data backing their use, Or over prescribing anti biotics leading to anti biotic resistant strains of diseases.

Why would a hyper politicized drug be any different when your back is against the wall during a pandemic and you assume that the government has done thorough research.
Maigh Eo for Sam

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #715 on: August 05, 2020, 05:42:53 PM »
His facebook comments are hysterical. It's like reading scoop.

‘Sorry to burst the magic bubble’ says Florida lawmaker of hydroxychloroquine as he battles COVID-19
https://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/20200805/sorry-to-burst-magic-bubble-says-florida-lawmaker-of-hydroxychloroquine-as-he-battles-covid-19
After two weeks battling COVID-19, State Rep. Randy Fine (R-Palm Bay) posted on Facebook that he needed his lungs X-rayed as his symptoms now included a recurring fever and a hacking chest cough. He remarked that the hydroxychloroquine therapy he had been on proved ineffective.
“I’m over it,” Fine texted FLORIDA TODAY from his Holmes Regional Medical Center hospital bed on Monday. “People should be able to use it if they want. But people should stop pretending it is some kind of magic potion as well. If they need proof, look at me.”

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #716 on: August 05, 2020, 06:14:28 PM »
Since we are now taking flawed studies as gospel.

New Covid-19 study, despite flaws, adds to case against hydroxychloroquine
https://www.statnews.com/2020/07/16/new-covid-19-study-despite-flaws-adds-to-case-against-hydroxychloroquine/

Hydroxychloroquine did not lead to faster symptom improvement among patients who had Covid-19 symptoms and were not hospitalized, according to a new study published Thursday in the Annals of Internal Medicine.

The study, a randomized controlled trial led by researchers at the University of Minnesota, adds to the evidence that the malaria drug, heralded as a treatment based on scant data early in the pandemic, has little utility in treating Covid-19.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #717 on: August 05, 2020, 10:52:38 PM »
Since we are now taking flawed studies as gospel.

New Covid-19 study, despite flaws, adds to case against hydroxychloroquine
https://www.statnews.com/2020/07/16/new-covid-19-study-despite-flaws-adds-to-case-against-hydroxychloroquine/

Hydroxychloroquine did not lead to faster symptom improvement among patients who had Covid-19 symptoms and were not hospitalized, according to a new study published Thursday in the Annals of Internal Medicine.

The study, a randomized controlled trial led by researchers at the University of Minnesota, adds to the evidence that the malaria drug, heralded as a treatment based on scant data early in the pandemic, has little utility in treating Covid-19.

Also, new research shows the old 2005 data indicating chloroquine could inhibit SARS infection in cell culture does to apply to lung cells and that expression of the key SARS regulatory enzyme in those cells blocks any function of chloroquine. Bottom line, it doesn't even work in cell culture, and would then have no efficacy in vivo.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2575-3

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #718 on: August 12, 2020, 06:33:02 AM »
I stumbled on this because I was curious about how Houston was doing re:hospitalizations.  This is great news if they can backup in a trial.  Surprised it isn’t getting more attention.  Anyone else hear of it?

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/87990

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2020/08/05/houston-methodist-reports-rapid-recovery-of-covid-19-patients-with-new-drug/

tower912

• All American
« Reply #719 on: August 12, 2020, 06:48:51 AM »
I have seen other articles out of the Houston area touting near 100% recovery rates with various treatments.    I hope it works.   I want a little more testing.    If the drug does what it claims, then it could be a game changer.     But I am not going to hold my breath.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #720 on: August 12, 2020, 10:09:48 AM »
'Henderson and colleagues at the National COVID-19 Convalescent Plasma Project proposed randomized controlled trials to the federal government in March to systematically study convalescent plasma, but weren’t approved."

"Meanwhile, the federal government was busy focusing on the anti-malaria drug hydroxychloroquine. The FDA authorized its emergency use March 28 and rescinded it June 15 after scientists determined it neither safe nor effective to treat the virus."

https://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/health-med-fit/coronavirus/two-washington-u-doctors-lead-national-effort-to-study-new-covid-19-treatment/article_ccec0f56-4493-5a26-8601-45e35d364b2d.amp.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share&__twitter_impression=true

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #721 on: August 12, 2020, 11:02:12 AM »
I stumbled on this because I was curious about how Houston was doing re:hospitalizations.  This is great news if they can backup in a trial.  Surprised it isn’t getting more attention.  Anyone else hear of it?

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2020/08/05/houston-methodist-reports-rapid-recovery-of-covid-19-patients-with-new-drug/

This seems intriguing to me. Small number of patients, but there would seem to be a solid biochemical basis for the VIP derivatives to have efficacy.

These are the types of treatments that probably should have been prioritized much earlier. Maybe they don't actually work, but I think the science behind this has a lot more validity than other treatments that were prioritized.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #722 on: August 12, 2020, 11:09:10 AM »

Thanks for passing this on. I agree it is weird this hasn't been more widely reported. Maybe too small of a sample size yet for it to get a lot of press?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #723 on: August 12, 2020, 01:54:25 PM »
I think the science behind this has a lot more validity than other treatments that were prioritized.

Like Lysol?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!