[Today at 11:41:46 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by DoctorV
[Today at 11:33:38 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[Today at 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU stays at #11 in the ESPN poll  (Read 2407 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
MU stays at #11 in the ESPN poll
« on: December 12, 2011, 11:53:30 AM »
Cuse #1, six BE teams in the Top 20.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
Re: MU stays at #11 in the ESPN poll
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 11:55:16 AM »
Glad to see bandy back in at 25 before we play them.
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 11:59:07 AM »
Big East has the best top 6 teams when compared to any other conference.  But the Big East is weak this year from 7-16.  It's a very top heavy league.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 12:15:13 PM »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 12:26:00 PM »
Big East has the best top 6 teams when compared to any other conference.  But the Big East is weak this year from 7-16.  It's a very top heavy league.

I think WVU and SHU might be decent, but there's a big drop-off in the lower half. If ever there was a year we could win this league this is it, especially with mirrors against Cincy and 'Nova not looking as daunting now.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Slim

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 12:26:35 PM »
Glad to see bandy back in at 25 before we play them.

This makes me wonder..

For tournament seeding, and the all important RPI and SOS, is the teams ranking at the time of the game important, or is it their ranking at the end of the season that matters. i.e. Vadgers #7 vs Vadgers unranked

Marqus Howard

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 12:30:31 PM »
This makes me wonder..

For tournament seeding, and the all important RPI and SOS, is the teams ranking at the time of the game important, or is it their ranking at the end of the season that matters. i.e. Vadgers #7 vs Vadgers unranked

Both are important, but where they're ranked when we play them is more important.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 12:34:29 PM »
This makes me wonder..

An opponent's ranking at the time doesn't factor into seeding. Vandy being ranked #1 or #25 when they play MU doesn't make a difference if Vandy goes down the tubes afterwards. Same as beating unranked UWGB could become a "quality win" if UWGB somehow cracked the RPI top 50 at season's end.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 12:40:27 PM by MerrittsMustache »

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 12:46:39 PM »
This makes me wonder..

Where they're arbitrarily ranked by basketball writers has nothing to do with the all-important RPI and SOS.  It does not matter where they are ranked in polls during or after the season for seeding purposes.  RPI is a cold statistical calculation.

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 02:34:52 PM »
From ESPN's College Basketball Blog"

"I'm sort of confused: Why isn't Marquette ranked higher? The Golden Eagles are undefeated. Arguably, they got the best nonconference win of any team in the top 10 with the possible exception of Kentucky (which beat North Carolina at home) when they beat Wisconsin in the Kohl Center. Based on sheer results alone, isn't Marquette's resumé, so to speak, better than Baylor's? For that matter, can't we say the same thing about Missouri and Xavier -- two other undefeateds with much more than a win at Northwestern buttressing their positions?"

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/41815/poll-thoughts-syracuse-becomes-third-no-1

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 02:59:09 PM »
From ESPN's College Basketball Blog"

"I'm sort of confused: Why isn't Marquette ranked higher? The Golden Eagles are undefeated. Arguably, they got the best nonconference win of any team in the top 10 with the possible exception of Kentucky (which beat North Carolina at home) when they beat Wisconsin in the Kohl Center. Based on sheer results alone, isn't Marquette's resumé, so to speak, better than Baylor's? For that matter, can't we say the same thing about Missouri and Xavier -- two other undefeateds with much more than a win at Northwestern buttressing their positions?"

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/41815/poll-thoughts-syracuse-becomes-third-no-1

I knew before clicking through to the story that it was written by Eamonn Brennan.  That cat always has our backs :)

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 03:29:36 PM »
I knew before clicking through to the story that it was written by Eamonn Brennan.  That cat always has our backs :)

Him, King and Katz have all 3 pretty much had our backs so far this year.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 03:35:45 PM »
IU enters the poll at 18 (AP) and 20 (USAT) this week.  Was unranked last week.

They are 9-0 and have ND this week.  Does their streak end?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 03:48:55 PM »
They are 9-0 and have ND this week.  Does their streak end?

No, ND is atrocious this year.  They've gotten smoked by the two good teams they played (Missouri & Gonzaga) and lost to the only other top 200 teams they played (Georgia & MD).  They were a borderline tournament team with Abromaitis, without him they're basically a Rutgers level squad.  They should be an easy road win for MU, which always helps the RPI.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 09:53:45 PM »
Weak sauce from our buddy Scott Wolf.  We were #3 last week in his ballot, if his top two were UK and OSU that would let us be #1, right?  Right?  Come on Scott, we just want to see a (1) next to our name!