[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[May 06, 2024, 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[May 06, 2024, 05:19:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[May 06, 2024, 03:05:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2022-23 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread  (Read 239423 times)

LAZER

• All American
Re: 2022-23 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread
« Reply #2575 on: February 19, 2023, 08:12:37 PM »
NBA ASG draft is another reminder that the NCAA tournament should not be seeded by the committee, auto qualifiers and NET ranks to fill 68 slots. NET ranking team #1 (and so on) then picks their opponents and locations.
Another reminder? Is this something that people are actually calling for?

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #2576 on: February 19, 2023, 08:49:35 PM »
I don't think they like each other very much. Caught lightning in a bottle last year, that's hard to replicate, especially with off court issues.

So it wasn’t just Dawson’s fault?  👀

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #2577 on: February 19, 2023, 09:05:08 PM »
NBA ASG draft is another reminder that the NCAA tournament should not be seeded by the committee, auto qualifiers and NET ranks to fill 68 slots. NET ranking team #1 (and so on) then picks their opponents and locations.

Yeah…no.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2578 on: February 19, 2023, 09:11:15 PM »
Yeah…no.

Shocked you would dislike something fun, SHOCKED I tell you!

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #2579 on: February 19, 2023, 09:17:15 PM »
Shocked you would dislike something fun, SHOCKED I tell you!

That is…really not all that fun.

And using NBA players playing a meaningless and effortless exhibition game as a model to format your NCAA Tournament after is…well, it’s something!

Maybe we should just put all the players for the teams that made the Tourney and make it one giant draft before we first tip the ball. Rank the coaching jobs, that’s the draft order, snake draft it. After teams are chosen, select your opponent.

FUN!

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2580 on: February 19, 2023, 09:24:04 PM »
That is…really not all that fun.

And using NBA players playing a meaningless and effortless exhibition game as a model to format your NCAA Tournament after is…well, it’s something!

Maybe we should just put all the players for the teams that made the Tourney and make it one giant draft before we first tip the ball. Rank the coaching jobs, that’s the draft order, snake draft it. After teams are chosen, select your opponent.

FUN!

Yeah, having a TV event where schools pick their NCAA opponent would be awful. I’d rather have a committee that has done an impeccable job year after year of seeding teams do it again. No one at all complained about the seeds revealed yesterday, absolutely no one.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #2581 on: February 19, 2023, 09:26:10 PM »
Yeah, having a TV event where schools pick their NCAA opponent would be awful. I’d rather have a committee that has done an impeccable job year after year of seeding teams do it again. No one at all complained about the seeds revealed yesterday, absolutely no one.

So what they did…appears to have worked. Lol.

You’re totally right though. Selection Sunday is broken. There’s no excitement around it anymore. Nobody watches it. Needs a total revamp. I’d totally get back into it if I could see whether Matt Painter would pick to play UWM or Hofstra. I bet whichever he chose would be so much more motivated to play them, it’d make for much more competitive games! Because in the current one and done format, nobody cares anyway.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 09:28:33 PM by withoutbias »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2582 on: February 19, 2023, 09:38:01 PM »
So what they did…appears to have worked. Lol.

You’re totally right though. Selection Sunday is broken. There’s no excitement around it anymore. Nobody watches it. Needs a total revamp. I’d totally get back into it if I could see whether Matt Painter would pick to play UWM or Hofstra. I bet whichever he chose would be so much more motivated to play them, it’d make for much more competitive games! Because in the current one and done format, nobody cares anyway.

Lol.

“Let’s keep everything the way it is because we’ve always done it that way!”.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #2583 on: February 19, 2023, 09:44:11 PM »
Lol.

“Let’s keep everything the way it is because we’ve always done it that way!”.

I mean. Yes. It works. And it works because it kicks ass.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #2584 on: February 19, 2023, 09:51:32 PM »
I remember when the US voted to change just for change in 2016. That went well!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2585 on: February 19, 2023, 10:05:02 PM »
Ehh...it's more innocent than meets the eye...if you don't believe the internet for everything :)

I'm honestly asking, did I miss something? Is it a fake story?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2586 on: February 20, 2023, 03:20:36 AM »

I think there are too many logistics to figure out to make a draft like that work. How do you ensure that you don’t meet conference foes in early rounds? Etc.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2590 on: February 20, 2023, 07:16:59 AM »
TY. Yeah that changes the context significantly
That's OK. Myself and the rest of America will find something else to be outraged about ASAP.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #2591 on: February 20, 2023, 02:38:39 PM »
I’ll be rooting for Kansas over TCU tonight.

With all of the Big 12 love, we don’t need TCU moving deeper into the conversation for a higher seed by adding another Q1A win with a sweep over Kansas. That will just add more fuel to the argument that some of TCU’s losses should be discounted because of Miles’ injury.

From here on out I want to see Kansas, Texas, and Baylor winning whenever they play any of TCU, Iowa State, and Kansas State.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 10:51:03 PM by wisblue »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2592 on: February 20, 2023, 03:56:54 PM »

I think there are too many logistics to figure out to make a draft like that work. How do you ensure that you don’t meet conference foes in early rounds? Etc.

It's probably too much, but it would be fun. You would have to have the NCAA moderating it, but the seeding rules are pretty straight forward so they could be managed. By Saturday, you know pretty much all the participants. Have each school send a representative to Indianapolis. Then do a selection show where you reveal the teams in S-Curve order. As you go, each rep is given the options of location. So for instance, the first seed picks their region and site. Obviously they go into the 1-seed slot in that region. Then the second overall, third, and so on. As sites close (so when both Des Moines locations are picked) that is blacked out as an option for the other top-16 seeds.

When it comes to teams from the same conference, you just black out options based on bracketing rules. So if Alabama is the 1-seed in the South, the South region is blacked out when Tennessee picks. Continue that all the way down the list. Sometimes, teams will only have one option or limited options based on bracketing rules, but it would be fun in a year when 10-seed Missouri says "we want to take on 7-seed Illinois in the Midwest" for those rivalry games.

That said, it will never happen. But boy would it be fun if it did.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2593 on: February 20, 2023, 04:31:51 PM »
It's probably too much, but it would be fun. You would have to have the NCAA moderating it, but the seeding rules are pretty straight forward so they could be managed. By Saturday, you know pretty much all the participants. Have each school send a representative to Indianapolis. Then do a selection show where you reveal the teams in S-Curve order. As you go, each rep is given the options of location. So for instance, the first seed picks their region and site. Obviously they go into the 1-seed slot in that region. Then the second overall, third, and so on. As sites close (so when both Des Moines locations are picked) that is blacked out as an option for the other top-16 seeds.

When it comes to teams from the same conference, you just black out options based on bracketing rules. So if Alabama is the 1-seed in the South, the South region is blacked out when Tennessee picks. Continue that all the way down the list. Sometimes, teams will only have one option or limited options based on bracketing rules, but it would be fun in a year when 10-seed Missouri says "we want to take on 7-seed Illinois in the Midwest" for those rivalry games.

That said, it will never happen. But boy would it be fun if it did.

It’d be awesome. It also gets rid of inherent biases by the committee. Each year the committee consistently butchers seeding. A lot of people worry about the last team or two to make it or not make it in, when the real problem is always seeding.

A byproduct of this should ideally force teams to schedule tougher non-con schedules, as there is more of a benefit of being team 9 (3 seed) instead of team 16 (last 4 seed).

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #2594 on: February 20, 2023, 06:39:27 PM »
It’d be awesome. It also gets rid of inherent biases by the committee. Each year the committee consistently butchers seeding. A lot of people worry about the last team or two to make it or not make it in, when the real problem is always seeding.

A byproduct of this should ideally force teams to schedule tougher non-con schedules, as there is more of a benefit of being team 9 (3 seed) instead of team 16 (last 4 seed).

I don’t see how that format would eliminate biases. The Committee would still be establishing the seed list. All that would be affected is teams having some choice about locations and possibly opponents.

I think coaches would rather not be in a position to make it look like they are choosing a particular opponent because they think they have a better chance to beat them than another team they could have chosen.

If you want to eliminate the Committee’s bias the solution would seem to be to just assign teams to the seed list based on their NET, or whatever predetermined formula the Committee develops. Then the controversy would be over the formula.

I disagree that the Committee butchers seeding. There can be some disagreements, but at some point teams and their fans have to stop the whining and go out and beat whoever they are assigned to play.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2595 on: February 20, 2023, 07:00:16 PM »
Yeah, I gotta be honest - this really doesn’t interest me. I don’t mind the current unveil.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

romey

• All American
« Reply #2596 on: February 20, 2023, 07:45:45 PM »
I remember when the US voted to change just for change in 2016. That went well!
[/quote

And then again in 2020

The Thing

• Team Captain
« Reply #2597 on: February 20, 2023, 10:30:24 PM »
I’ll be rooting for Kansas over TCU tonight.

With all of the Big 12 love, we don’t need TCU moving deeper into the conversation for a higher seed by adding another Q1A win with a sweep over Kansas. That will just add more fuel to the argument that some of TCU’s losses should be discounted because of Miles’ injury.

From here on out I want to see Kansas, Texas, and Baylor winning whenever they place any of TCU, Iowa State, and Kansas State.

Kansas with a close win over TCU.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2598 on: February 21, 2023, 07:55:35 AM »
A couple of beloved former Marquette greats can help the current team's cause tonight, as Buzz hosts Tennessee and Joey hosts Indiana.

Also would be nice to see Baylor go into K-State and win; and great if Texas, at home, can beat Iowa State.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #2599 on: February 21, 2023, 09:07:10 AM »
A couple of beloved former Marquette greats can help the current team's cause tonight, as Buzz hosts Tennessee and Joey hosts Indiana.

Also would be nice to see Baylor go into K-State and win; and great if Texas, at home, can beat Iowa State.

Feel so dirty cheering for TAMU and Texas

feedback