Bill Scholl Retiring by Herman Cain
[Today at 04:55:18 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:18:45 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[Today at 04:14:43 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by PJDunn
[Today at 03:14:56 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 03:01:18 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2022-23 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread  (Read 239860 times)

cheebs09

• All American
Re: 2022-23 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread
« Reply #1000 on: December 24, 2022, 10:43:19 AM »
why? Why hope Beard is fired? If the lady bs’d, Beard should get smoked? Scoop jumps to convict quickly, it seems.  If Beard is an abuser, then yes, can him. But why hope for it?

Are you Beard’s attorney?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1001 on: December 24, 2022, 11:27:21 AM »
why? Why hope Beard is fired? If the lady bs’d, Beard should get smoked? Scoop jumps to convict quickly, it seems.  If Beard is an abuser, then yes, can him. But why hope for it?

I mean, the police report outlines bruises and marks that match her story. So either Beard is a POS (who may get away with it) or the police were in on framing Beard. I know which way I’m leaning.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1002 on: December 24, 2022, 11:34:43 AM »
The bolded, unfortunately, is correct. I'll leave it to the psychologists to explain the reasons for this phenomenon. Women in an abusive relationship often not only keep coming back but also insist on blaming themselves. Police dread having to go to a home on a "domestic" call, knowing that the warring couple often will unite briefly just to scream at them.

I'm still hoping that Beard will be fired and really do not be proven right on my earlier statement in this thread that Texas and Beard will put this in their rearview mirror. It looks like it will play out just as I feared it would. Crap!

Psychology can play a role but there are even more basic concerns than that.  Statistically,  the most dangerous time for an abuse victim is when they leave the relationship and shortly  after. Not all but a not insignificant number of abusers will resort to murder when they sense the relationship is ending. Many abusers make their victims dependent on them by not allowing them to work. If the choice is between you and potentially your child being homeless or your significant other abusing you, you may choose the abuse. There are other common barriers to exiting an abusive relationship.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #1003 on: December 24, 2022, 01:41:53 PM »
Psychology can play a role but there are even more basic concerns than that.  Statistically,  the most dangerous time for an abuse victim is when they leave the relationship and shortly  after. Not all but a not insignificant number of abusers will resort to murder when they sense the relationship is ending. Many abusers make their victims dependent on them by not allowing them to work. If the choice is between you and potentially your child being homeless or your significant other abusing you, you may choose the abuse. There are other common barriers to exiting an abusive relationship.

Thanks TAMU. If I may add to your comments, the abusers often are suspicious and jealous of any other relationships the victim has
with not just friends but her family as well and insists on controlling all contact with them, correct? Totally control freak. It is too easy to blame the victim for returning time and time again. It's almost like an addiction to drugs. I really do not understand why there is a compulsion to keep going back (besides your comments on that subject) but I have known women who finally freed themselves of the abusive relationships.

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #1004 on: December 24, 2022, 02:06:38 PM »

I hope for it because there is a 911 call, the victim's report to the police who she called, and the bruises. Now she recants as so many abused victims do and of course, it is time for her to accept the blame for......oh wait! It's those nasty cops who made up a story, right? My hoping for his firing and your proposed narrative- she BS'd, he's getting smoked- have absolutely no bearing at all on how this will play out.

I was a facilitator for a training program for identifying and preventing child sexual abuse. The program was developed by professionals in that field of study and one of the points I explained while conducting the classes was how difficult it often is to obtain a conviction. Why? Because children, like abused adults, so often recant their claims, sometimes even before the cases come to court. So getting back to your question- Why hope for his firing? The case may never reach court, but I have seen enough. I think UT and Beard have played the delaying game well and believe there will be no firing or other disciplinary action.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #1005 on: December 24, 2022, 03:16:26 PM »
Didn't she have bruises on her neck from apparent strangulation?  How do they explain that away?
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1006 on: December 24, 2022, 03:33:01 PM »
If I read it correctly, she is saying she initiated the physical confrontation and Beard was defending himself.   

$$$$$.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #1007 on: December 24, 2022, 06:34:22 PM »
I hope for it because there is a 911 call, the victim's report to the police who she called, and the bruises. Now she recants as so many abused victims do and of course, it is time for her to accept the blame for......oh wait! It's those nasty cops who made up a story, right? My hoping for his firing and your proposed narrative- she BS'd, he's getting smoked- have absolutely no bearing at all on how this will play out.

I was a facilitator for a training program for identifying and preventing child sexual abuse. The program was developed by professionals in that field of study and one of the points I explained while conducting the classes was how difficult it often is to obtain a conviction. Why? Because children, like abused adults, so often recant their claims, sometimes even before the cases come to court. So getting back to your question- Why hope for his firing? The case may never reach court, but I have seen enough. I think UT and Beard have played the delaying game well and believe there will be no firing or other disciplinary action.
what you say might be true. My point is this…you don’t have the facts of this case anymore than anyone else on Scoop has the facts of this case. Kind of like getting vax’d for Covid because as 46 said, it’s irrefutable that you then won’t get Covid. So, get vax’d!! Yeah, ok. Yet, you’ve tried and convicted Beard based on a ‘statement’ that might be quite the contrary to what actually took place. That’s all I’m saying. And, as I said prior, if Beard is a POS, as Wades states he’s leaning Beard is, then he’ll be vaporized in due course. And, deservingly so!!! But, until then, I go with innocence until proven guilty. You seem to go with guilty, prove your innocence.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1008 on: December 24, 2022, 07:14:59 PM »
If Texas fires Beard, you have to make the call if you’re Marquette

Gruber, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1009 on: December 24, 2022, 07:34:10 PM »
Hans?   It is Christmas after all.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1010 on: December 24, 2022, 07:59:10 PM »
But, until then, I go with innocence until proven guilty. You seem to go with guilty, prove your innocence.

You have very old fashioned ideas, Viper!

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #1011 on: December 25, 2022, 07:08:17 AM »
what you say might be true. My point is this…you don’t have the facts of this case anymore than anyone else on Scoop has the facts of this case. Kind of like getting vax’d for Covid because as 46 said, it’s irrefutable that you then won’t get Covid. So, get vax’d!! Yeah, ok. Yet, you’ve tried and convicted Beard based on a ‘statement’ that might be quite the contrary to what actually took place. That’s all I’m saying. And, as I said prior, if Beard is a POS, as Wades states he’s leaning Beard is, then he’ll be vaporized in due course. And, deservingly so!!! But, until then, I go with innocence until proven guilty. You seem to go with guilty, prove your innocence.

Bolded is simply not true on two counts.

1) I have not "tried and convicted" Beard  at all. That is for the legal system to address and for jurors to determine guilt, if any. I have expressed my opinion. Scoop is not a court of law. Scoopers are not jurors. It is an opinion board.

2) I included the 911 call and the physical injury evidence in support of my opinion. It was not based only on a statement. You are the one who is basing his argument upon a single statement/recant. Are these "the facts in this case" that you stated that I do not have?

You asked me to explain my opinion and I have done so, and with supporting evidence. Now it is your turn to explain your opinion that this may be a setup, that the girl friend may have lied, but this time address the 911 call and physical injuries that you neglected to address in your first post.

We can and will continue to disagree on this. So be it, but do not make things up about my comments by selective omission.

Merry Christmas Viper!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2022, 09:36:21 AM by Scoop Snoop »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #1012 on: December 26, 2022, 11:42:20 AM »
If I read it correctly, she is saying she initiated the physical confrontation and Beard was defending himself.   

Maybe I’m being sexist, but I don’t see strangling a woman as an acceptable defending of a guy’s person? At most, maybe a reflexive push to free up space so you can get away, but… there was talk of being without air for several seconds… not to mention bruises, etc.  It will be interesting to see how Texas handles this… and if fired, does Beard sue for breach of contract if the criminal complaint is dropped?

Ugly situation for all
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1013 on: December 26, 2022, 12:06:15 PM »
Maybe I’m being sexist, but I don’t see strangling a woman as an acceptable defending of a guy’s person? At most, maybe a reflexive push to free up space so you can get away, but… there was talk of being without air for several seconds… not to mention bruises, etc. 

I can't think of a reason to use choking in self-defense, especially if one is stronger and larger than the other person.  Unless she had a weapon, what could she have been doing to him that made him think, "If I am going to get out of this relatively unharmed, I am going to have to go for her throat"?
Have some patience, FFS.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1014 on: December 26, 2022, 06:59:48 PM »
Maybe I’m being sexist, but I don’t see strangling a woman as an acceptable defending of a guy’s person? At most, maybe a reflexive push to free up space so you can get away, but… there was talk of being without air for several seconds… not to mention bruises, etc.  It will be interesting to see how Texas handles this… and if fired, does Beard sue for breach of contract if the criminal complaint is dropped?

Ugly situation for all
If I read the complaint correctly, she left the room after breaking his glasses and he followed her about 15 minutes later. Not sure self defense or 'knee jerk' reaction is cause or justification.

As for employment, all the reports are saying the contract allows Texas to terminate for being arrested for a felony. Nothing about being found guilty.

I am 100% in the corner of presuming innocence, but this doesn't pass my smell test. As for Beard and Texas basketball, I don't really care about them. IF he is innocent, then they can keep him or fire him; no big deal to me. 

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #1015 on: December 26, 2022, 09:09:43 PM »
Nothing I like more than speculating about domestic violence in strangers relationships.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1016 on: December 27, 2022, 05:43:37 AM »
Nothing I like more than speculating about domestic violence in strangers relationships.

::) People are providing experience and context to the arrest report of a public figure.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #1017 on: December 27, 2022, 07:28:45 AM »
::) People are providing experience and context to the arrest report of a public figure.

No! We must rely solely upon court rulings before we express an opinion. Unless we are discussing the rigged 2010 election. Then the 60+ adverse court rulings are totally meaningless. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1018 on: December 27, 2022, 08:55:49 AM »
If I read the complaint correctly, she left the room after breaking his glasses and he followed her about 15 minutes later. Not sure self defense or 'knee jerk' reaction is cause or justification.

Yea the time elapsing is what makes it all seem BS. 

I had an old coworker who got into an heated discussion with a guy at a street festival.  He pushed the guy roughly after they got chest to chest and he stumbled a bit.  Friends broke them up and they went their separate ways.  20 min later the other guy ran up and sucker punched my coworker knocking him out.  After police were brought it, the guy claimed self defense cause my coworker pushed him and nearly knocked him over.  They were like “how long ago? 20 min? Nah…”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1019 on: December 27, 2022, 05:14:05 PM »
Her damn throat totally invaded my hands’ space!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Viper

• All American
« Reply #1020 on: December 27, 2022, 07:41:12 PM »
You have very old fashioned ideas, Viper!
I'm a romantic 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1021 on: December 28, 2022, 04:51:11 PM »
Kevin Willard ripping how the B1G schedules compared to the Big East.  Says it is a contributing factor to the lack of NC's.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1022 on: December 28, 2022, 05:22:46 PM »
Kevin Willard ripping how the B1G schedules compared to the Big East.  Says it is a contributing factor to the lack of NC's.

I mean unless Jay was the only one scheduling the "right" way then im not sure his point has much merit...
Maigh Eo for Sam

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1023 on: December 28, 2022, 05:34:59 PM »
I feel like Kevin Willard has a tough time making friends.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1024 on: December 28, 2022, 05:41:08 PM »
I mean unless Jay was the only one scheduling the "right" way then im not sure his point has much merit...

I enjoy taking shots at the Big 14, but this one doesn’t make much sense.  I can’t think of a case where scheduling has hurt the league
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.